Thread: Dealer Prep

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Prep

Hi everyone,

My 2014 RT Limited was delivered to me yesterday. I noticed that there was zero miles on the bike. Thus my question, dont they have to ride it during prep to check everything out? The saddle bags wont open (they are unlocked) shouldnt they have caught that as well?

My main question is this, exactly was does dealer preperation include?

Newbe here .... So I'll have many more questions.

Thanks for your response.
    Mike

Spyder Garage

A five to ten mile test ride by the dealer is recommended IMO. The test ride would help to spot if everything is working as it should before delivery to the customer.

What actually happens is going to vary from one dealer to another.

on your new ride.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

when the bike comes in it is in a crate, the front wheels and the frunk is off so they need to put it all together and might have to put it on the computer to make sure all the software and engine are running right. my dealer rode the bike for 10 miles but not sure what other dealers do. here are some pictures of when i bought my bike this was my 13 rt, for some reason i can't find the pictures of my 14 rt
    Attached Images Attached Images
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

They have Check list that should have gone over with you and have you sign.

Spyder Garage

Default Sometimes it's a crapshoot!

When I bought my '13 it had eight miles on it. When I bought my '14 it had less than one mile on it. Go figure. Different dealers.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Friend of mine said he had 42 miles on his new spyder and when he asked the mechanic why, he said the mechanic smiled and said, i wanted to test it thoroughly.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Sadly.....

depends on dealers but a test ryde is part of the prep as well as testing compartments and manually operated parts...seems they fell short..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default Pre-Delivery Checklist

Here is a copy of the one that came with ours. I have been trying to get the one that was filled out for 3 weeks now. I have been told that a copy is on file with BRP and they are going to get it. We will see.

Well, I was going to send a copy but the site limit is 117kb for a pdf and the smallest readable one is 545kb. I tried to attach a picture but it can't be read.
    Sorry
    Last edited by brerrabbit; 03-04-2015 at 08:38 PM.
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

This would appear to be why People drive a lot of miles to deal with a good dealer. IMO if this dealer obviously didn't test drive it, and missed that the locks don't work my big thought is what else did he skip over. IMO BRP Care should be all over this.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Mine had 6 miles showing, and the salesman explained their test-run procedure including a stop to completely fill the tank. But there was no written checklist for me to sign.

Much later, my right-side saddle bag quit opening too. I just bop it inward with the heel of my hand and it pops right open. The tech said to just live with it, but they did repair my non-working glovebox latch earlier, under warranty.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Spyder Garage

Laser Alignment should be mandatory with dealer prep.

Chris

Spyder Garage

Mine had 250 miles so I know it was well checked over. (Demo) Only problem is one key was missing. Thats a whole different story and a long one.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Don in E Texas's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Same issue here....

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post
    Mine had 6 miles showing, and the salesman explained their test-run procedure including a stop to completely fill the tank. But there was no written checklist for me to sign.

Much later, my right-side saddle bag quit opening too. I just bop it inward with the heel of my hand and it pops right open. The tech said to just live with it, but they did repair my non-working glovebox latch earlier, under warranty.
    My new 2014 had 7 miles on it. Dealer (mechanic) rode bike to fill fuel tank and to have state inspection done. He (Dealer) automatically fills out a form he forwards to BRP about the saddle bag not opening issue - he said every one of the RT's he has sold has this issue and he fills out a form on every one. I had test rode a 2014 RT-Limited Edition that had zero miles on it - 6 miles when I returned it. They had just finished checking it out and gave it to me to test ride. Same dealer I purchased my RT-S from.

Snow some last night here in the Piney Woods of E Texas (Okay, you guys in New England would not call it snow). Next week temp's are going up and Spyder will make an appearance on the local roads

Don
    Did own: 2008, Red, SE5 - and 2010, Black, RT-S Premiere Edition Number 670
    Now Own: 2014 Black RT-S SE6

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer prep

Is there any recourse with BRP for lack of dealer services. There was a checklist included with the motorcycle as it was delivered that said to give owner a copy. When I didn't receive one, I requested it. I am just wondering if there is a customer service department at BRP to report to if you are dissatisfied with dealer response. I am not there yet but am approaching it.
    2018 Limited , Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Don in E Texas View Post
    He (Dealer) automatically fills out a form he forwards to BRP about the saddle bag not opening issue - he said every one of the RT's he has sold has this issue and he fills out a form on every one.

Let me be sure I read this right:

Your dealer sells RTs with saddle bags that just don't open, and they know it.

To address the issue, they fill out a form and send it to BRP.

So, every one of the people they sell an RT to can't use two of their storage compartments.

No, I can't be reading that right.
    Last edited by MRH; 03-06-2015 at 12:17 PM. Reason: typos
    2020 RT Limited in the ultra cool Deep Marsala Dark edition.

Baja Ron Anti-Sway Bar, LED reflectors, Lamonster USB Charger (and phone mount), Can-Am Low Windshield, X-Creen Tour Variable Windscreen Spoiler Blade, Power Commander, Dilithium powered Flux Capacitor (not yet fully functional).
    Maintained by Lou at Pirate Powersports.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Mine didn't fill the tank but did take it on a test ryde. They don't do that on initial assembly, they do it after purchase. They do one prep to roll it out onto the showroom floor, then another prep after purchase that took a couple of hours, including a test run.

I'm happy, everything worked.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by missouriboy View Post

So was the Spyder out of warranty by then? Did you not want to spend the money to fix it or were they unable to fix it? I am trying to understand why a place that a customer had just spent nearly $30,000 in for a luxury machine would tell that customer to just live with a functionality problem. No criticism of you or the Spyder intended here,just looking for further information.
    2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post
    So was the Spyder out of warranty by then? Did you not want to spend the money to fix it or were they unable to fix it? I am trying to understand why a place that a customer had just spent nearly $30,000 in for a luxury machine would tell that customer to just live with a functionality problem. No criticism of you or the Spyder intended here,just looking for further information.
    It wasn't the same dealer; sorry I let it look that way but it wasn't. I bought the Spyder far, far away, and I get all my service locally at a dealership I didn't even know about when I made the purchase.

It's no big deal really, just an extra little tweak to make it work: I pull the release latch with one hand, smack the bag with the other, and presto, she's open. May all our problems be that easy! I only mentioned it as a response to an earlier post that stated the same problem.
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My local dealer did not do a good job at getting my new 2014 RT limited ready.... first off when I bought it... I told it would be ready wed.. I waited until noon to go pick up my new Spyder... when I got there I was told they sold lots of bikes so mine was not ready... I then was told it would be ready by 4:00 that afternoon.. so I left a little disappointed and went back at 4:00.. well again it was not ready... now the story was it would be ready by noon the next day.. so I left again.. returned at noon the next day... well guess what... I was again told it would not be ready until 4:00 that day.. I then asked to talk to the person that sold me my bike.. I then told him.. you better make sure my bike is ready by 4:00 today or I will put a stop payment on my check for the entire purchase ..
    at 4:00 I returned ... and my bike was parked in front... so for now I was happy.. when I rode it home.. I noticed that my Spyder leaned a lot when I turned a corner... I only live about 1-1/2 miles from the dealership... when I got home I checked the tires... the front tire had 12psi on the left... 13psi on the right the rear had 16psi.. at that point I was very unhappy... so I aired up my tires and went back to the dealership and talked to the service manager... he apologized and said he would talk to whom ever prepped my spyder... then I started checking closely... I did not have a state inspection sticker either.. so I went back into the dealership to talk face to face to the owner... which was kinda of a waste of time... needless to say.. I buy as little as I can from them ..

osm

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    This would appear to be why People drive a lot of miles to deal with a good dealer.
    Back in 2006, I learned the hard way that a bad build/install of a conversion kit made for a bad trike experience. Looks to me the same holds true for some Spyder dealers. I went 300 miles for my second conversion in '09. Looks like I'll be doing the same for my first RT. Some of the stories here are really scarry.