Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bug's zedi View Post
    Though you have asked for owners. I would like to put in a few words from someone who seriously considered a Spyder, but decided to stay with a two wheeler. I ride a GL1800 Goldwing and after an accident I seriously considered getting a spyder. I am a contrarian by nature, and its uniqueness is a big draw. The biggest advantage though is with the safety of the platform. ABS and Traction control as standard, no worries about going down as a result of gravel etc. Options and cost are comparable to the best two wheelers.

It is obvious that though for many the Spyder is as fun as a two wheeler, just different, it is that difference that is the fatal flaw for us. We enjoy riding the twisties, and with a well matched rider and pillion, the whole experience is like dancing. You move as one with the bike and your ability to negotiate the twists and turns well is directly commensurate with your ability to "dance". It is the loss of the interaction in leaning and the dance that was the primary reason we decided to stay on two wheels.

I was in a severe motorcycle accident 4 years ago. I broke my neck but luckily, I'm still around. My family was not thrilled with me getting a bike and with younger kids, the Spyder was my only option. No regrets! It is safer than a 2 wheeled motorcycle in so many ways, but I don't agree with the inability to lean being a downside to ryding a Spyder. The lack of lateral forces on a motorcycle, although likely considered a "plus" by most people, really is a "plus" for me on the Spyder. I do lean into the turns and between being low on the F3 and the lateral forces and my leaning into a turn, I feel like I'm going 100mph when I'm doing 30mph in a turn. I didn't get that feeling on a bike when going into a turn slowly. The Spyder is more exhilarating of a ryde than my old Victory bike was. Yes, I do miss my bike but I do not feel I'm missing out on anything being on the Spyder. The safety features on the Spyder just add to the ability to take it to its extremes and not worry that you're going to go down in a turn.

I went out into the twisties yesterday for a couple of hours and came back feeling like I had just been to a thrill amusement park. I never got that on my bike. I also came back feeling like I had been to the gym but that was a good thing. It's a workout when you're really going into the turns. A fun workout!

So why did I chose a Spyder?
    Safety (safer)
    Good looks (every where I go, I got thumbs up, high fives, looky-loos, everything - kind of cool, I must say!)
    Not a lemming and with the same bike as everyone else
    It's just so damn cool looking...
    My 16 year old daughter may not have spoken to me again... but my 13 and 11 year old boys think it's so cool and are happy with the 3rd wheel
    2022 Spyder RT SEA-TO-SKY Mystery Blue... (bought new May 2023, a work in progress...)

2015 Can-Am Red F3-S, SE6
    CalSci shield, Elka stage 5 rear shock, stage 4 front shocks, Akrapovic silencer, BajaRon Bar, Roadster Renovations vibration dampener, Tricled LED headlights and auxiliary lights, driver floorboard, driver and passenger backrests, Tricled Safety Led package, Shad BRP/SH36 side cases, Baker built luggage rack, Tricled Rear run/brake/turn signal led, Tricled LED piezo brake bullet strobe, JDM Astar LED bulbs for rear and front lights, Airhawk seat pad, USB power outlet

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had a stroke when I was 44(10 years ago). afterward I didn't have any paralysis but had some balance issues which as you can image is why my wife didn't want me on 2 wheels. When I first saw the Spyder in 2008 I said I could ride that an din 2010 I actually rented one for 24 hours at the beach and loved it. Later that year I bought a 2010 RS had it for 3 years and traded it on my current 2013 RT-S. I love everything about my Spyder except I can't ride it when its cold. Come On Spring.

Bill C.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bug's zedi View Post
    Though you have asked for owners. I would like to put in a few words from someone who seriously considered a Spyder, but decided to stay with a two wheeler. I ride a GL1800 Goldwing and after an accident I seriously considered getting a spyder. I am a contrarian by nature, and its uniqueness is a big draw. The biggest advantage though is with the safety of the platform. ABS and Traction control as standard, no worries about going down as a result of gravel etc. Options and cost are comparable to the best two wheelers.

It is obvious that though for many the Spyder is as fun as a two wheeler, just different, it is that difference that is the fatal flaw for us. We enjoy riding the twisties, and with a well matched rider and pillion, the whole experience is like dancing. You move as one with the bike and your ability to negotiate the twists and turns well is directly commensurate with your ability to "dance". It is the loss of the interaction in leaning and the dance that was the primary reason we decided to stay on two wheels.
    it is this reason that I would like to keep a two wheeler in the garage. It's just different.

Spyder Garage

Here is my story, I was a passenger for 16 years on Yamahas ( Royal Star 1300cc, V-Star) Honda's, Suzuki's, Kawasaki Nomade, and I told people that I used to ride with that I wanted to get my motorcycle License.

So in 2012 I bought a HD Switchback new to the HD line, then a friend of mine said " why don't you buy a Can-Am Spyder, so I traded in the HD, for a 2012 RTS-SE5 it had anti-lock brakes, Traction Control, Stability Control, Semi- Auto Transmission power steering, Reverse, Cruise Control and many other extra's and it was more visibility, I had the whole lane to my self. And where ever I went I would get people asking me questions about it. The spyder is a conversation piece. They are fun to drive, if you are familiar with driving a Snowmobile that is how they handle, but smoother. I had 8, 988 miles on the 2012RTS-SE5, then when I saw/ took a demo ride on a 2014RTS-SE6 the demo ride/saw it sold me, " I said to my self " I got to have one of these"! So on July 30,2014 I traded in my 2012RTS-SE5 for a 2014RTS-SE6 in cognac I have no cut complaints about the 2014RTS-SE6 I am not turning back. I like the 2014RTS-SE6 because it has the New Rotax 1330 ACE Engine, 6 speed, you can cruise comfortably at 3,300 RPM's , New 1200-W Alternator ( 85% more power for your electronic accessories) you don't need a Battery Tender,( like I did when I had the 2012rts-se5 had to keep the battery tender plug-in to keep the battery charged) ECO mode smart Assist, you can go farther on a 1 tank of gas, higher torque, smoother ride. I know this has not been mentioned........ you still have the freedom, open air, when life gets stressful you can go for a ride! You meet a great group of people that have spyders, like on this site. I am in my 50's.
    I don't have any dislikes about my 2014RTS-SE6 Cognac I am a happy Spyder Owner! I can not ride my 2014RTS-SE6 in the COLD, and SNOWY months, Hurry up SPRING!!!! I go to some of the Spyder events.

Dislikes: None Deanna
    Last edited by Deanna777; 02-21-2015 at 03:31 PM.

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD
    2023 F3 LTD Special Series , N/A N/A Mineral Blue

Spyder Garage

I was a new rider when I got my Spyder and the safety and stability just made sense. I have never been sorry. It has good power, but I would like more torque when riding with my club of all two wheelers.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Hey College Student,

WHY:

I picked the Spyder primarily because of an "incident" I had on two wheels. After said "incident", I didn't feel safe risking the safety of my wife (or eventually) my children riding on the back of two wheels. The styling of the Spyder appealed to me in the past so I then gave it another look.

LIKE:

As a new F3-S owner (my 2nd Spyder), I like the riding position and reduced interference of the nanny when compared to my ST-S. It allows me to ryde more aggressively and keep the smile on my face. The F3, IMO, is almost as much fun as 2 wheels with the stability of 3.

DISLIKE:

Not much... If I had to pick something it would be the cost of entry. These things are not cheap! BRP accessory prices should almost be considered extortion.

Good luck on your paper!
    Current Spyder
    2015 Magnesium Metallic F3-S SE6

• Gauge Spoiler - Pegs @ #5 - Long Reach Bars - Detachable Passenger Backrest - Cross Country Saddlebags - Power Commander V - Power Commander Auto-Tune - Power Commander POD-300 - Two Bros S1R Exhaust w/Black P1X tip - Two Up Shock - Detachable Driver Backrest - Spyclops LED - LED Headlights - Route 129 Windshield

Retired Spyder
    2013 Magnesium Metallic ST-S SE5 5,467 Miles

Ryding Since 1/19/13

Spyder Garage

My reason for a Spyder, Is it was becoming unsafe for me to ride two wheels due to Parkinsons, the Spyder gave me the ability to continue riding as it does many not so able riders.

Spyder Garage

I am a paraplegic who was injured 11 years ago. Prior to that I drove street bikes, snowmobiles, skateboards, snow skis, water skied...I loved doing outdoor activities. I went 10 years away from this activity then one day went by a Can Am dealer and hopped on a Spyder. I realized that it had been too long for me to be away from the activity I loved to do. I researched the Spyder and chose it over a retrofitted motorcycle because of the safety aspect involved. With ABS and traction control, the Spyder is stable and easy to drive. Besides, who wants to put their feet down when you stop.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Smile Wife spyder but I ride it more

I bought the spyder because my wife did not like to go for a long distance ride on a two wheeler.
    I bought the semi automatic so she could get her trike motorcycle license and drive it her self.
    When we can both on own bikes and ride together and enjoy the outdoors, what is better than that.
    I enjoy the two wheeler ( like many of the comments stated already ), but, you look cool riding the spyder.
    How many people stop and talk to you about your bike when you are on a two wheeler. Not many.
    I had many hundreds of conversations with strangers about the spyder. So, when I want to look cool, ride safe,
    and just enjoy a relaxing evening, I take the spyder. When I want twistes, and gas mileage, I take the two wheeler.
    I have fun no matter what. And when the wife joins, its heaven.

Good luck