Page 7 of 17 FirstFirst ... 34567891011 ... LastLast
    SpyderLovers Sponsor
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    Baffling question, to say the least. Does anyone know of any objective evidence that shows how the heat problem varies from one 2013 RT to the next? There's no question there is a heat problem, but is one major factor individuals' tolerance levels or not? I have had very little heat problem with my 2013 RT, other than the hot foot issue. I fixed that with a block off and cutting a big hole in the plastic behind the fan, which strictly speaking, I really should not have had to do. When I installed Jim's bump skid plate, right after I started riding the bike, his instructions included a comment about removing the underneath splash guards to enhance air flow. That is probably one reason why I've never had an unbearable heat problem, but here again, strictly speaking, I should not have had to do that.

I have had very little gas smell problem after coming in from a ride, but there has been some. A good share of my summer riding is in 90°+ temps. Only one time that I can think of did I notice a real gas smell problem. I stopped to take some pictures and left the bike running. After about 5 or 10 minutes I could smell the fumes all the way across the two lane highway. I don't remember if I listened to hear if the gas was boiling.

I had the cat delete done when I was at Lamonster's BBQ last fall but mostly to see if it would increase mileage. Since it was late in the year and weather was cooling I can't say how much, if any, it helped with the heat issue.

As far as a fix, I would be happy to fork over a few grand, like maybe $2k or $3k or so, and have BRP change out the engine and tranny for the 1330 engine. The local tech said it's probably doable but there would be quite a few changes needed. The ECM, of course is different, and he said the VSS is different. Some of that maybe could be done with new firmware, but maybe not. I think there are some other differences but I don't know what they are.
    Mac, I didn't find my 2013 RT to be unbearably hot. It did have bad gas smell, probably due to the evap canister being full of fuel. Which was why it went up in flames.

2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

With 152 posts it appears this has become a "HOT TOPIC". (pun intended)

A lot of very concerned riders here as it should be. My hopes for all of you is a good outcome for everyone involved. I miss my Vivid Red 13 but certainly not the Gas fumes and heat. Even though I traded for a 14 I am with all of you till a satisfactory out come is reached. 75 in April and I did not feel I had 5-10 years left to see a good resolution to this very serious problem.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I'm so glad I bought in last year, and I do feel for those who are experiencing these heat and gas fume issues.

Reminds me of my days as a Nissan Tech and the 87 - 88 Nissan Van.

What happens when you build a vehicle around an engine with no way for the hot air to escape? Recall after recall, the final one taking 13 hours to complete and inspection required by an indipendant inspector after the recall was completed. After that didn't work, Nissan offered to buy them all back. We drained all the fluids, removed the batteries, wheels and off they went to the bone yard on a flat bed. What a nightmare.
    Just another crappy day in Paradise....Aloha!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by HIspyder View Post
    "What happens when you build a vehicle around an engine with no way for the hot air to escape?
    I like this phrase, it is apropos

Jerry
    13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 RTS-SE5

I've got a Viper Red 2013 I havn't had any gas smell but I do get a lot of heat so I will just hang on and let this play out and see what happenes..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Default Update: recall posted on NHTSA website

Hi everyone,

The recall has now been posted on the NHTSA website for owners of 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT vehicles in the United States. I've updated the original post; pasted below you'll find a copy of the letter being sent out to consumers.

IMPORTANT SAFETY RECALL INTERIM NOTICE

Re: Can-Am® Spyder® Roadster RTTM 2013 – Elevated Temperature in Engine Compartment

Dear Can-Am Spyder RT 2013 Owner,

This interim notice is being sent to you in accordance with the requirements of the National Traffic Motor Vehicle and Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Acts. BRP has decided that a defect which relates to motor vehicle safety exists on certain Can-Am roadster models. Our records show that you own a potentially affected vehicle.

What is the potential problem?
    Under very hot ambient conditions and low speed riding, the temperature in the engine compartment may rise and thereby increase the risk of a skin burn or a vehicle fire.

Which models are involved?
    Can-Am Spyder RT roadster, model year 2013.

What BRP will do?
    BRP intends to repair your vehicle free of charge (parts and labor). However, the parts required to provide a remedy to this condition are not currently available and will become available starting in May 2015. Nevertheless, we wanted to contact you as quickly as possible to inform you of this safety recall. BRP will contact you with another letter when the remedy is available in your area, instructing you to make an appointment with your BRP Can-Am Roadster dealer. Please understand that we will prioritize the hottest areas of the countries as parts become available.

What should you do until your vehicle is repaired?
    You can keep using your vehicle while taking the following precautions in hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/85 F and more):

• Avoid idling or slow traffic riding for a long period of time.
    • Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride, let your vehicle cool down first
    • Avoid prolonged direct contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the Operator’s Guide.

What to do if you feel this notice is an error?
    This notice was mailed to you according to the most current information we have available. If you no longer own this vehicle or some information in this notice is incorrect, please contact BRP at your
    earliest convenience.

For US residents only
    If you believe that BRP has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1- 888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov. If you are a vehicle lessor, federal law requires that any vehicle lessor receiving this recall notice must forward a copy of this notice to the lessee within ten days.

Your continued satisfaction with your roadster is important to us. We have taken this action in the interest of your safety and your vehicle's proper operation. We apologize for any inconvenience this may cause you and appreciate your patience while we prepare the remedy for this condition. If you have questions or need assistance:

• Visit www.can-am.brp.com
    • Or call: 1-888-272-9222, 9:00 AM to 9:00 PM Eastern time Monday to Friday

Sincerely,
    After-Sales Service Department
    As always, if you have any questions or concerns, you can post them in this thread and I'll do my best to address them. Thanks again.
    Last edited by BRPcare; 02-26-2015 at 07:51 AM. Reason: corrections, formatting, fixed link.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

BRPCare. You've stated that all's those affected will receive "written" notification by the end of February. Almost at the end of February now and to date haven't received any notification from BRP. My question Sir is does this written advice by BRP apply for 2013 RT Owners in USA and Canada or the owners of "all" 2013 RT Models world wide ?? Living in Australia where we constantly experience high ambient temperatures the heat I've experienced on numerous occasions is so bad that I'm simply unwilling to ride my RT on many, many occasions as I'm affray of it catching fire or my legs getting cooked. I always wear correct protective clothing but there has been several occasions where I've had extremely uncomfortable heat rash to my upper, inner thighs and right leg and foot. I find this so extremely disappointing after making such a major financial investment in a big boys toy. Having to limit my riding to days where the temperature of the day is not to hot ride my RT. Touring (which was the main reason for purchasing my RT) is completely out of the question due to these heat issues, just not prepared to travel to far from home. Thankfully BRP has finally admitted that there is not only an overheating issue but also a very real chance of the machine catching fire. SORRY have digressed. BRP are have now stated their intentions re looking after owners of 2013 RT's in Canada and the USA but what of those of us in Australia and come to think of it the rest of the world ?? Can we expect similar written notification from BRP in the same time frame as those in USA and Canada and then again in May (I believe was the date of the expected fix to be available) a further notification in writting when we can expect our 2013 RT's to have the fix fitted ?? Sincerely, Kenn Wightwick. (from sunny and quite often very hot Queensland, Australia)

Regards from Sunny Queensland, Australia

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KennW View Post
    Can we expect similar written notification from BRP in the same time frame as those in USA and Canada and then again in May (I believe was the date of the expected fix to be available) a further notification in writting when we can expect our 2013 RT's to have the fix fitted ?? Sincerely, Kenn Wightwick. (from sunny and quite often very hot Queensland, Australia)

Regards from Sunny Queensland, Australia
    Hi KennW,

Thanks for asking - yes, in fact, this recall will apply to owners of 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT model worldwide, including Australia. Once I have more information on how the recall will be deployed in other countries I'll let you know right away.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Hello Steve
    Can you clarify this part of the recall.

For US residents only
    If you believe that BRP has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1- 888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov

Thank you Rob

Spyder Garage

I am patiently waking by the mail box in the snow.
    I have made some improvements on my rtl and any help you can help with will be appreciated.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    Hello Steve

For US residents only
    If you believe that BRP has failed or is unable to remedy the defect within a reasonable time, you may submit a complaint to the Administrator, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration,1200 New Jersey Avenue S.E. Washington, D.C. 20590, or call the toll free Auto Safety Hot Line at 1- 888-327-4236 (TTY: 1-800-424-9153), or go to www.safercar.gov

Thank you Rob
    I doubt he will. I get the feeling that number will be called since the previous "fix" was a failure. How many years should we wait for a fix? JMHO. I still have not received the recall letter either. Good thing I am subscribed to NHTSA notifications via email. Now finding a dealer I can trust when the fix comes in is the problem. The only tech I trusted in SC quit last year and moved away.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RBS66 View Post
    Hello Steve
    For US residents only
    Thank you Rob
    Hi Rob,
    This part of the text is self-explanatory and is a legal requirement in the United States. It's fairly standard on most recalls.
    BRPcare

Spyder Garage

Default make it right

I purchased a BMW 2004 CL and had a great time on it. On a 24k checkup, the tech says - hey there is a recall on the frame as the kickstand is apt for failure. Made arrangements with dealer, bike was there for a few days, rcvd new frame with new style kickstand.... no issues... bike was 4 years old.
    BMW took care of everything, and as always my dealer gave me a loaner for the time the CL was in the shop.

BRP take notice to BMW, I traded my CL and now own a K12LT (2009) and a spyder lt (2013). NO MODIFICATIONS TO SPYDER that interfere with any of the described issues that all of the owners have been describing...

BRP - needs to make this 100% correct--even if it is new everything to include engine etc... $30k for "toy for boy" it should be absolutely correct, or give me a new 2015 RT limited

Spyder Garage

What about the 12s ? Constant fuel smell canister replaced once as well as cat removal and spyderpops block off plate still have to park a box fan in front of it for 20 mins before I can shut my garage door.
    2012 RT A&C bought new 42312 sold July 2018 56k miles currently driving a 2014 RTSE6 LTD bought October 2018 w 6800 miles nicely farkled
    2014 RT SE6 LTD , White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AbNormy View Post
    What about the 12s ? Constant fuel smell canister replaced once as well as cat removal and spyderpops block off plate still have to park a box fan in front of it for 20 mins before I can shut my garage door.
    This thread was specifically started to address the serious issues with the 2013 model year RTs...
    Try wrapping your header pipes, and re-fueling before heading for your garage. The additional cool fuel might help a bit.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

yes it appears everyone else with heat issues other that 2013 RT are screwed.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Spyder Garage

Motorcycle News report. See if you read what I read.

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/730/22...RT-Recall.aspx

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post

Oh Yes! Thanks for the find.

100% of the units (2013 RT's (5165) are to be included in the recall. They mentioned this was a worldwide recall. They are waiting to get parts together and then the "fix" will be in.

I am saying this looks like very good news for the owners of the 2013 RT's.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

The defect notice goes on to indicate that an investigation was opened by the NHTSA at the end of January 2015 and that, following those tests, BRP chose to initiate a worldwide recall on all 2013 RT models. There’s no mention of any customer complaints or injuries associated with the issue in the defect notice.

Whaaaat? Poor reporting at it's finest.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Yes Dave, that's what I was alluding to.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

i am glad i don't have me 13 anymore. only because the wait would drive me nuts. some of my friends call me MR. NEGATIVE, only because if i can't fix a problem i feel no one else can. now when it comes to something engine wise or computer related on a car or bike, i have to leave it to the so called professionals. but when my bike was running right on a computer and they flashed the ecu and that didn't work i did my thing with all the vents and drilling holes and it was still hot. so i really hate to say it, but some will feel that what BRP is planing to do does work and some will not. SO THAN WHAT
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I have a 2013 RTL and I am thrilled that this recall came out. While I haven't experienced extreme heat...maybe it is my perception... I am glad to see that BRP is taking this on. I have no idea what they might do but I am confident that they will come up with something that works.. Their feet are kinda held to the fire. Then maybe after the recall the resale value will creep back up...
    jonny
    Jonny
    2013 Spyder RT Limited
    • TricLED 3rd and 4th Brake Light
    • Spyderpops Bumpskid with TricLED LED kit
    • GloRyder Wheel Lights
    • Spyderpops Missing Belt Guard
    • Corbin Arm Rests
    • TricLED Turn Signals

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    some of my friends call me MR. NEGATIVE, only because if i can't fix a problem i feel no one else can. ...........so i really hate to say it, but some will feel that what BRP is planing to do does work and some will not.
    If everybody around me wasn't so negative, I wouldn't be so cynical!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Arrow Very Hot???

85 degress is "very hot"? That's laughable for starters. Not tomention the NO complaints comment.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Spyder Garage

Many thanks for your prompt reply Spyder Ann 01 & Hayfield. With perfect riding conditions, Autumn and Winter I'm certainly hoping my 2013 RT will have had the fixes done to ensure I'll still be able to continue riding through next summer.
    Cheers
    Kenn