Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 234567891016 ... LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Jack, please put me on ignore. I would not want you to stroke out on us because I feel no need to try to impress you with a resume in my profile.....seriously.

I had a 2013 RT on loaner at the end of 12'. I've ridden 2 others since. I have no interest in the RT. But do have an interest in the ST an RS.....which share the same frame.

I think the root of the problem many of you have is your pissed because you drank the 2013' koolaide about how much better those machines were supposed to be vs. The older RT, paid a premium for your 2013 and then less than a year later the 1330 made its debut for the 14' and you feel you were shorted.
    Now, you've pissed and moaned so much about it that anyone who does any research about a 2013 RT is scared to death of it.

Ive been around the v990 motor in a few past Aprilias for some time. I have a wrecked track rsv in my shed with more money in the motor than the bike is worth. The v990 is probably the main reason I chose to try a spyder. I've helped a few 13' owners (and others) properly tune their 13' machines. Lets just say i have a decent idea on what makes the v990 tick. I had a lot of the info here for awhile but deleted it all because it caused to much bickering. Most people felt brp should fix it and others would rather wrap everything up. Fine, whatever.
    You can add that to my profile if it makes you happy......[emoji6]

Spyder Garage

Default '13 Heat Issues

What baffles me is that not all of the '13 ST's and RT's have a serious heat issue. Case in point; I own a '13 ST-S and have never had boiling gas, gas fumes, or gas dripping from the canister. I did have some moderate heat issues with Tupperware being quite warm but not hot. This was solved by wrapping the pipes and using reflective heat tape on the inside of my panels. I also have a friend that owns a '13 RT LTD and he says he has had zero heat issues. He lives north of Atlanta and it easily gets into the 90's in the summer.

The only things in common with other 2013 ST and RT owners is the frames are the same and I assume they were all assembled at the same factory. Very perplexing!!!
    2020 F3 Ltd

Spyderpops Bumpskid
    Spyderpops Brake/Run/Turn Signal LED's
    Lamonster Garage LED Fog Lights and Headlights
    2013 ST-S retired 1/9/16 at 25,061 miles
    2015 F3S sold at 77,565 miles.
    2015 F3-S , BajaRon Plugs Can-Am Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Do you spend much time in "Stop & Go" traffic, or are you pretty much out on the open road?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post
    What baffles me is that not all of the '13 ST's and RT's have a serious heat issue. Case in point; I own a '13 ST-S and have never had boiling gas, gas fumes, or gas dripping from the canister. I did have some moderate heat issues with Tupperware being quite warm but not hot. This was solved by wrapping the pipes and using reflective heat tape on the inside of my panels. I also have a friend that owns a '13 RT LTD and he says he has had zero heat issues. He lives north of Atlanta and it easily gets into the 90's in the summer.

The only things in common with other 2013 ST and RT owners is the frames are the same and I assume they were all assembled at the same factory. Very perplexing!!!
    i don't understand it either, what i was trying to say earlier about some bikes have it and some don't is that people have different heat level tolerances. the person i sold my 13rt to can ride the bike and tolerate the heat that i couldn't. my concern is for the people that have a 13 that they can ride but the heat will eventually do it's damage on interior parts of the engine compartment. so will they be responsible for the costs when parts go bad
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I just received the BRP Dealer bulletin... its is an interim notice where BRP through the National Traffic Motor Vehicle and Canada Motor Vehicle safety act, that BRP acknowledges there is a defect that relates to heat on certain can am roadster models. The bulletin states there are parts to be installed not available til may. What they plan on doing will come in a non interim bulletin to follow....what can I say except we kicked the ball and now its starting to roll..... Im thinking it will be a fix that may not make sense, so hopefully its meaningful... Engine swap, don't count on it, this fix will be done with the least amount of resistance

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by anthony422 View Post
    I just received the BRP Dealer bulletin... its is an interim notice where BRP through the National Traffic Motor Vehicle and Canada Motor Vehicle safety act, that BRP acknowledges there is a defect that relates to heat on certain can am roadster models. The bulletin states there are parts to be installed not available til may. What they plan on doing will come in a non interim bulletin to follow....what can I say except we kicked the ball and now its starting to roll..... Im thinking it will be a fix that may not make sense, so hopefully its meaningful... Engine swap, don't count on it, this fix will be done with the least amount of resistance
    might be a reversing fan, all i can think of
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    might be a reversing fan, all i can think of
    A reverse fan just solves the hot foot issue - although, that can be very serious. I've come home and found burns on the inside of my right calf, a little above my ankle . . . the problem with heat buildup and retention under the Tupperware is the issue I think they are trying to resolve, although they may be looking at both.

An air filter like the one JThornton sells, to allow more airflow, a cat delete and a replacement muffler with the CAT out from under the Tupperware seems like a possible solution . . . that CAT, sitting underneath everything generates some serious heat that doesn't get dissipated, easily . . . the inside of the Tupperware acts like an oven.

I'm hoping this issue gets resolved, this year, because I have a lot more miles I plan to ride before the dirt nap, and, as a retiree, I don't have the cash to upgrade to a newer Spyder, when this one isn't two years old, yet.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

guessing they will be figuring out how to flush out the cavity, thermostat and a few fans....who knows, reversing fan resolves a whole different issue

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Man, take a few days off, and everyone gets in a fight!

Just some observations:

. . . a motorcycle isn't and investment unless you are buying a vintage Indian or Harley . . . you will lose money on it, just like on a car. Depreciation lives.

. . . I've ridden over 10,000 miles on my 2013 RT LTD . . . lots of problems in the first 3,000 miles, but not so many since the flash update to the ECM . . . but I do worry about what all that trapped heat has done to rubber under the Tupperware . . .

. . . I'm leaving on 16 April to ride from the Eastern Panhandle of West Virginia to Tucson AZ, and back, with a side trip to see the Grand Canyon and whatever else we decide are "must see" places along the way.

. . . in preparation for the trip, I am having the 14,000 mile service done, having the plug wires and all the rubber hoses replaced . . . perhaps some or all of that would be done by BRP in May, with the recall, but I'm getting on in years, have an opportunity for an epic ride, and the opportunity may never come up, again, so I'm going. I might be dead before I get another chance.

. . . nothing in life is perfect, but if you allow righteous indignation and anger to eat you up, life ain't very happy. I fully expect BRP will make things right for 2013 owners . . . but I've been disappointed in life, before . . . and will probably be, again . . . but that isn't going to make me bitter and miserable . . . I'll roll with the punches and keep on being happy.

. . . trying to guess what BRP is going to do to resolve the heat issues makes no sense unless one is a psychic . . .

Let's stop criticizing each other for having opinions . . . everyone is entitled to have their own.

CHILL! (please)

Have a great trip. I'm drooling over it.

I'm one. for whatever reasons, who has left it too late for a trip of that magnitude. I take my hat off to you for doing the preventative maintenance before you go. A sensible thing to do.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by anthony422 View Post
    guessing they will be figuring out how to flush out the cavity, thermostat and a few fans....who knows, reversing fan resolves a whole different issue
    Reversing fan will help a little it will alleviate the heat build up that is transmitted through the plastic swoop at stop and fan blowing. That said it won't help very much.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

My 2013 rd has a oil leak. After I put on JT air kit, I was able to clean the engine and have located the leak. It is leaking out the Stator wire harness that plugs in on the lower support beam, in front of the engine. It is not leaking where the gromet goes into the crank case, but it is dripping at the where it plugs in. IMHO, Big ole Fire hazard!!! She is going to the shop in the morning.

Spyder Garage

The reversing fan does work to keep the heat off the foot. It was done to my 13rts. Still there is a lot of heat under the tupperware that keeps the front part of the seat hot. The gas fumes are still strong. Why not add a larger radiator and also a a fan to the oil cooler?
    2014 RTS , Cognac

Spyder Garage

The fan on the oil cooler was an idea I had planned to try myself and never got round to it. It has merit.

I think they will do the reversing fan. It helps comfort and folks like it. And its pretty cheap while they are doing other items.

I do think the recall will involve body panels like was done on the ST to flow air through the engine bay. Perhaps with more or better insulation where the driver contacts the body.

Seriously doubt they will do anything about the gas tank or specifically for the fumes issue in this recall. By the way its worded, this one is for heat only. Emissions comes later as it was very much part of the NHTSA investigation. Lowering the under hood temps will help that cause though.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    The fan on the oil cooler was an idea I had planned to try myself and never got round to it. It has merit.

I think they will do the reversing fan. It helps comfort and folks like it. And its pretty cheap while they are doing other items.

I do think the recall will involve body panels like was done on the ST to flow air through the engine bay. Perhaps with more or better insulation where the driver contacts the body.

Seriously doubt they will do anything about the gas tank or specifically for the fumes issue in this recall. By the way its worded, this one is for heat only. Emissions comes later as it was very much part of the NHTSA investigation. Lowering the under hood temps will help that cause though.

In the pics that keep changing along the top of the forum page is one of Lamont's 2008/2009 GS, RS. He had a cooling fan on the oil cooler. I thought it might have been standard, but mine doesn't have one
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Anyone taken any oil temps first? The oil cooler isn't that big. I can't imagine a fan similar in size to do much, if anything.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    I think the root of the problem many of you have is your pissed because you drank the 2013' koolaide about how much better those machines were supposed to be vs. The older RT, paid a premium for your 2013 and then less than a year later the 1330 made its debut for the 14' and you feel you were shorted.
    Now, you've pissed and moaned so much about it that anyone who does any research about a 2013 RT is scared to death of it.

Ive been around the v990 motor in a few past Aprilias for some time. I have a wrecked track rsv in my shed with more money in the motor than the bike is worth. The v990 is probably the main reason I chose to try a spyder. I've helped a few 13' owners (and others) properly tune their 13' machines. Lets just say i have a decent idea on what makes the v990 tick. I had a lot of the info here for awhile but deleted it all because it caused to much bickering. Most people felt brp should fix it and others would rather wrap everything up. Fine, whatever.
    You can add that to my profile if it makes you happy......[emoji6]
    Seriously? I wasn't unhappy with you until this comment. There are many reasons why someone purchases a Spyder but to make it seem like it is their fault that the 2013 RT are crap is just wrong. You would feel differently if you owned one.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Seriously? I wasn't unhappy with you until this comment. There are many reasons why someone purchases a Spyder but to make it seem like it is their fault that the 2013 RT are crap is just wrong. You would feel differently if you owned one.
    Sorry you feel that way Ann. Honestly, it is what it is. However, we all make poor decisions sometimes. Most times those poor decisions are unintentional, but are hard ones to digest once we realize we wouldn't have made that same choice again.
    For some people its easier to admit and move on, Others are more stubborn and decide to dig their heels in the sand.
    Yes, it was a "choice" to buy what they did. Is it right things turned out the way they did? No. But its the way life is dealt to us sometimes.....

Personally, life is to short, if I would have bought one of those problematic machines, I would have either made it right on my own dime, or dumped it and moved on. I've been there with other powersports/hobbies. My wife reminds me periodically...[emoji57]
    For some its harder because its a big blow to our pride (especially the male pride/ego....again, been there [emoji38] ) and for others they paid a big premium when they purchased so they are SO upside down in it......easy to end up upside down with a big dollar RT.
    Have a good evening Ann.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If anyone knows about the heat of a 2013 RT,.Ann does. Too bad those who never owned one or had money tied up in one try's to be the know it all expert on the subject.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default TO EVERYONE

This thread is not about pissing matches between anyone, it was started by BRP to provide us, Spyder Owners, with information that is relevant to the Spyders that a lot of us own. All of you folks (no names) who are using this thread to rant and rave, make personal attacks, and generally denigrate anyone who doesn't agree with you need to take a break and take your vitriol somewhere else. There has been enough of it on this forum already. If you feel like you have to knock people down, do it somewhere else. Got my fire suit on, so if you want to blast me, be my guest. Or, put me on "ignore". Whatever floats your boat.
    Last edited by oldguyinTX; 02-20-2015 at 10:41 PM.
    "A Wise Man Once Said, I Should Ask My Wife."
    2017 Champagne Metallic RT-S SE-6 Rivco Dual Flag Holders; Slingmods Highway Pegs; (Hate Them) Airhawk Seat Cushion; Show Chrome Black Touring Rack w/ Risers & Touring Windshield; RAM X Mount For TXTAG; TackForm Phone Mount; Lidlox; Magic Mirror Mounts; Guardian Bells; WOLO "Bad Boy" Air Horn; Dual USB Power Outlet With Voltmeter; 12V outlet for misc. stuff; Spyderpops Full View Mirror Turn Signals; Large Brake Pedal; Kott Grilles; Large Mud Flap; BajaRon 3 Piece Sway Bar, Last But Not Least, Kuhmo Rear Rire, Vedrestien Fronts.
    2017 RT-S , Brake pedal extender is twice the size of the stock pedal. Champagne Metallic

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JKMSPYDER View Post

so far i've had no fumes or burnt legs. every once in awhile i get a quick blast of heat on my right foot.

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Can we PLEASE keep this thread to the subject. 2013 Spyder RT heat issues.

Not other model years, not ST.

Next, there is no baffling quandary over why some 2013 RTs dont have heat issues.

THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME DESIGN DEFECT
    as stated by BRP and soon by NHTSA.

Yes, some owners do not perceive the issue, neither did the owners who's bikes burned to the ground. Its a design defect and applies to ALL 2013 RT models. (likely others too but not for discussion in this thread).

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Can we PLEASE keep this thread to the subject. 2013 Spyder RT heat issues.

Not other model years, not ST.

Next, there is no baffling quandary over why some 2013 RTs dont have heat issues.

THEY ALL HAVE THE SAME DESIGN DEFECT
    as stated by BRP and soon by NHTSA.

Yes, some owners do not perceive the issue, neither did the owners who's bikes burned to the ground. Its a design defect and applies to ALL 2013 RT models. (likely others too but not for discussion in this thread).

Amen! You said it correctly. There are heat/fume problems with other models and previous years but this thread is about the 2013 RT's. Please read the first post from BRP on this thread. Throwing in all the other years, models and problems or non problems only confuses the main issue.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default And you wounder why

BRP does not post on this site very often
    Could it be because every time the start a thread to give some info or inform everyone what is happening it becomes a crying thread for all the babies on this site
    Go ahead and get mad at me because I know some of you will
    Every complaint that is not even related to the topic of the thread is posted here
    If some of you would grow up and be more constructive instead of crying we might have more help from BRP
    Its ok to point out problems you are having and ask for help
    But some people think that bad mouthing everything is the way to get what they want
    In reality it usually works just the opposite

I do not have a 2013 so I can not comment on the heat problem
    I had a 2008 GS [some heat but it is a motorcycle]
    Now have a 2014 RT [still very slight heat in stop and go again its a motorcycle]

Thank Steve for the info and please ignore the negative posts
    Don
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Spyder Garage

The problem is this is not just a 2013 issue. While they are the worst, the issues with boiling gas and fumes are related to all RT's.
    BRP is just doing the minimum to fix the 13's when in fact they should have a fix for all of them.
    In fact from 2010 on, more non-13's burned up that 13's if you count up all the fires.

Remember what caused this investigation? Not just a 2013 burned up last year but also a Cop's Spyder which was not a 2013. That burn up got the attention of the NHTSA.

So tell me I am crying and whining but it's a fact.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    it really baffles me why some bikes have major heat issues and some don't. my main question is will the bikes that are fine soon become a bike with a problem.
    Baffling question, to say the least. Does anyone know of any objective evidence that shows how the heat problem varies from one 2013 RT to the next? There's no question there is a heat problem, but is one major factor individuals' tolerance levels or not? I have had very little heat problem with my 2013 RT, other than the hot foot issue. I fixed that with a block off and cutting a big hole in the plastic behind the fan, which strictly speaking, I really should not have had to do. When I installed Jim's bump skid plate, right after I started riding the bike, his instructions included a comment about removing the underneath splash guards to enhance air flow. That is probably one reason why I've never had an unbearable heat problem, but here again, strictly speaking, I should not have had to do that.

I have had very little gas smell problem after coming in from a ride, but there has been some. A good share of my summer riding is in 90°+ temps. Only one time that I can think of did I notice a real gas smell problem. I stopped to take some pictures and left the bike running. After about 5 or 10 minutes I could smell the fumes all the way across the two lane highway. I don't remember if I listened to hear if the gas was boiling.

I had the cat delete done when I was at Lamonster's BBQ last fall but mostly to see if it would increase mileage. Since it was late in the year and weather was cooling I can't say how much, if any, it helped with the heat issue.

As far as a fix, I would be happy to fork over a few grand, like maybe $2k or $3k or so, and have BRP change out the engine and tranny for the 1330 engine. The local tech said it's probably doable but there would be quite a few changes needed. The ECM, of course is different, and he said the VSS is different. Some of that maybe could be done with new firmware, but maybe not. I think there are some other differences but I don't know what they are.
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 02-21-2015 at 03:31 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)