Page 3 of 17 FirstFirst 123456713 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

BRPcare, I have an idea,

If BRP really wants to assist owners with this situation,

How about they show up at Spyderfest with the BRP service semi truck they brought to the Owners Event and a couple hundred recall parts kits and mechanics to do the change outs on site. Take appointments and get er done.

It would go a long way to show some concern and an attempt to make things right. It would also save them a bunch of cash vs paying dealers to do all the work. With the large number of bikes in one place at one time.

Just trying to still be constructive rather than just finding fault.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Hi jcthorne,
    Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Now they have posted a letter that essentially states I must cease riding my bike to work by mid march.
    Actually, you can continue riding your 2013 Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in very hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/ 85 F or more):

• Avoid idle or slow traffic driving for extended periods of time.
    • Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride, let your vehicle cool down first.
    • Avoid direct and prolonged contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the operator's guide.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

Hi SpyderAnn01,
    Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    The Canadian Road Safety Recall bulletin just said all 2013 Can-Am Spyders. That will surely cause a lot of confusion.
    Thanks for pointing this out! The Transport Canada recall page has been updated to specify the 2013 Can-Am Spyder RT.
    BRPcare
    Social Consumer Experience Team

Spyder Garage

i do have a 2013 rt and wanted to trade for a new 2014 rt but the low amount they wanted to give me for the trade was so low i could not make the trade so how about you brp tell my dealer to give me a decent trade and i will buy a new 2014 rt and be very happy with ever thing you have helped with,now to tell you im not a new rider of motorcycles ive owend 56 motorcycles,two of your spyders a 2010 rs and then a rt 2013 hot shot,but i do like the spyders so with your help i can get a 2014 or 2015 rt and ride in to the sunset happy.my dealer is reno power sprots of kansas city mo.you may contect me by phone 785-214-5012 or email napper39@yahoo.com thanks for any help.jerry knapp.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by napper39 View Post
    i do have a 2013 rt and wanted to trade for a new 2014 rt but the low amount they wanted to give me for the trade was so low i could not make the trade so how about you brp tell my dealer to give me a decent trade and i will buy a new 2014 rt and be very happy with ever thing you have helped with,now to tell you im not a new rider of motorcycles ive owend 56 motorcycles,two of your spyders a 2010 rs and then a rt 2013 hot shot,but i do like the spyders so with your help i can get a 2014 or 2015 rt and ride in to the sunset happy.my dealer is reno power sprots of kansas city mo.you may contect me by phone 785-214-5012 or email napper39@yahoo.com thanks for any help.jerry knapp.

Well, there you are BRP, the ball is squarely in your court on this post.

What do you do to help people whose dealers think the 2013 RTs are worthless?
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by oldgoat View Post
    Well, there you are BRP, the ball is squarely in your court on this post.

What do you do to help people whose dealers think the 2013 RTs are worthless?
    Unless the fix is replacing the engine with the 1330 it should have had to begin with. The frame was not designed for the 998.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

Default What's in a name?

BRPcare vs. brpCARE
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi mastertek2000,
    The recall is primarily intended to address the concern related to elevated temperature in the engine compartment and the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire. Any other improvements that might be noticed after the recall are welcome but as mentioned above, our focus here is on safety and addressing the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.
    Hi Steve..thank you for your comments and insight on the announced recall. Regarding the gasoline fume issue, are there any separate actions or inquiries taking place (for any of he model years) on that issue?

This too is a very real safety concern for some of us here. I cannot park my wife's 2012 RT in my garage immediately after a ride as the attached garage and living areas fill with a strong gasoline odor.

I appreciate your insight.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    Hi Steve..thank you for your comments and insight on the announced recall. Regarding the gasoline fume issue, are there any separate actions or inquiries taking place (for any of he model years) on that issue?

This too is a very real safety concern for some of us here. I cannot park my wife's 2012 RT in my garage immediately after a ride as the attached garage and living areas fill with a strong gasoline odor.

I appreciate your insight.
    The same was true with our 2011 RT. At 60 MPH going down the highway, even on long trips, we would constantly smell raw gasoline fumes if the temperature was over 80°F. Coming to a stop the fumes were frighteningly strong and we were always prepared to jump off and run away from the possible firebomb. Not to mention having to wear lower body winter gear in the hot summertime just to insulate us from the Spyder's heat.

It's a shame it forced us to trade it in at a large loss to get a 2014 RT that so far seems to not have these issues. I'm sure BRP/Can-Am didn't mind their additional profits on that transaction.

I love our Spyder but have no such good feelings for BRP/Can-Am.

Note to self - do more research before buying a motorcycle intended to ride south of the 49th parallel that is designed and made up in the Great White North by a snowmobile company!

Charles
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous:
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Registered Users 3 Wheel Addict's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Glad I got out from under mine back in July, feel bad for the sucker that ended up with it! Sure hope they finally get a fix for the people that are still stuck,... it just ain't right some are out hundreds or thousands of dollars trying to get it under control.
    Sold my 14 RTS went back to 2 wheels.
    2014 Kawasaki Vaquero SE

Spyder Garage

I hope that if a recall occurs that BRP doesn't look for reasons not to offer the fix to all 2013 Spyder RT's. Many of us could not wait for them to offer a solution so we did modifications on our own to lessen this issue. I would hate to be offered a corporate solution but then be denied service because I had "altered" the original design (removing parts, panels, blocking off or increasing wind flow, etc.).

Spyder Garage

1,373 bikes in Canada, i wonder how many bikes here in the states, also why just the rt when other owners feel the same heat on other models
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I wonder why only 2013, i understand they were the worst of the bunch but my brother has a 2012 RT and it almost burned my damn leg off one time when the outside temp was over 100. The exhaust is shooting straight up to your leg. We put on a blocker plate over the lower hole and that helped but i would certainly not say it solved the problem completely. Now he just refuses to ride it when its over 90 or 95 and i think thats a bummer. I hope this solutions works for all you guys that have them.
    Tony From Los Angeles

Current
    2015 Spyder RT
    2012 Yamaha FZ6R
    Previous
    2008 Premier GS #588
    2005 Suzuki C50
    2007 Susuki S40

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default MAYBE

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    1,373 bikes in Canada, i wonder how many bikes here in the states, also why just the rt when other owners feel the same heat on other models
    From what I've read following this thread , it appears the main issue is / was putting the 998 engine into the FRAME designed for the 1330 Ace engine .....I don't think any of the other Spyders ( any years ) have the ACE frame if they have the 998 engine ( except the 2013 RT ).........JMHO......Mike

Spyder Garage

Default Disappointed

I am severely disappointed that with all of the heat related issues with the 2013 ST's we weren't included. Guess we have to wait for the ST's to start catching fire before you will do something about it!
    Hi 03hdjill,

This recall addresses an issue occurring on the 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models. Due to differences in airflow within the engine compartment, engine configuration and various other factors, only 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT models are included in this recall.
    14 RT-S , Stock Large brake pedal White Pearl

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi mastertek2000,
    The recall is primarily intended to address the concern related to elevated temperature in the engine compartment and the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire. Any other improvements that might be noticed after the recall are welcome but as mentioned above, our focus here is on safety and addressing the risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.
    With all dew respect Steven how does BRP not consider gas fumes not a safety factor ?? the fumes are dew to the high heats lets hope one will fix the other thanks for your reply

Spyder Garage

Default why

Wife and I have been riding our 2013 RT in Florida for two years with no heat or any other problem. If it was a design flaw I would think many more riders would be effected.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    Wife and I have been riding our 2013 RT in Florida for two years with no heat or any other problem. If it was a design flaw I would think many more riders would be effected.
    How many more?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spydercatjohn View Post
    You must be the anointed one! Good on ya. Are you riding in the winter or summer in Florida? Very big difference. Most temps in Florida are below 85 degrees in the winter and that is usually the temp these problems begin to rear there ugly head. It seldom gets over 90 degrees in the summer but the humidity is close to that and it feels much warmer. I used to live in Coral Gables (Miami).

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

How do you think I feel I bought my 2013 RT A WEEK BEFORE THE 2014's came out ... Had no idea and my dealer played dumb I woulda waited anyway so I ended up with a hot box that has broke down due to heat ... I installed temp gauges and worked with the inspector , monitored temps 225 and above stop and go traffic on a hot day and it's risky. I waited for my maintainance for spring hoping we get some resolution another hot season really has restricted my trips I'm afraid to go far I'm 11k into this machine besides what I spent trying to fight the heat not really feeling fuzzy wuzzy right now. I think they should swap my 2013 for the 2014 even what I owe and I'd still be behind the eight ball for the past crappy riding seasons I've had some pretty sad conversations with BRP I'm a business person don't insult my intelligence

Spyder Garage

Default 2013 STS

Hi Steve,you never answered my last three emails about my not being able to ride my bike because of the heat on my feet and the fact that my wife would not ride with me because of the heat/safety issues.
    Because of that I traded the furnace in for the F3 and took a $6000.00 loss not to mention the money I spent to get it to the point I could ride it .
    Will the people who have lost time and money be compensated by BRP?
    Gene T

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    You must be the anointed one! Good on ya. Are you riding in the winter or summer in Florida? Very big difference. Most temps in Florida are below 85 degrees in the winter and that is usually the temp these problems begin to rear there ugly head. It seldom gets over 90 degrees in the summer but the humidity is close to that and it feels much warmer. I used to live in Coral Gables (Miami).

Jack

As a 70 year old native Flowridian I can assure you that temps in the summer time hover around 95 degrees on a regular basis. In the winter it is not unusual, save this winter, for temps to be in the 80s on a regular basis.

I have a 2013 RT-S and it gets hot, but it is not unbearable. As I have discussed in earlier posts, there is the heat that blows out the "torch hole" (extreme bottom right side) and there is the heat underneath the tupperware. I have on occassion burned my left thigh (yes I wear shorts) where my Corbin gas tank is. I simply move my right foot to the back of the floorboard with the heat that comes from the "torch hol

I for one thank BRP for posting the information that they have. I see no gain in bashing them when they have taken the time to provide this information. Just my 2 cents worth.

Chris
    Last edited by MouthPiece; 02-19-2015 at 06:49 AM.

Spyder Garage

Hi jcthorne,

Actually, you can continue riding your 2013 Spyder RT while taking the following precautions in very hot riding conditions (ambient temperature of approximately 30 C/ 85 F or more):

• Avoid idle or slow traffic driving for extended periods of time.
    • Avoid parking in an enclosed area immediately after your ride, let your vehicle cool down first.
    • Avoid direct and prolonged contact with body panels; wear appropriate riding gear as stated in the operator's guide.
    Well thats great, how does this apply to folks with earlier year RT's (2011) that live in hotter climates? It is easily above 85 in Arizona 10 months out of the year.

I can show numerous pic's of the burns on the inside of the wife's legs from the heat coming from under the seat area from running at freeway speeds.

Is there anything in the works to resolve heat issues in Pre-2013 models?
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by NM Wrench View Post
    I am severely disappointed that with all of the heat related issues with the 2013 ST's we weren't included. Guess we have to wait for the ST's to start catching fire before you will do something about it!
    Where have you been hiding? The 2013 STs were the FIRST ones to have this issue addressed...
    Did you forget about the new bodywork, and ECM re-flashes?
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-19-2015 at 06:09 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    Well thats great, how does this apply to folks with earlier year RT's (2011) that live in hotter climates? It is easily above 85 in Arizona 10 months out of the year.

I can show numerous pic's of the burns on the inside of the wife's legs from the heat coming from under the seat area from running at freeway speeds.

Is there anything in the works to resolve heat issues in Pre-2013 models?

Yes there is a resolution for Pre-2013 models. BRP's dealers will happily sell you a model that was designed and built correctly, a 2014 or later model.
    Current:

Wife Has:

Previous: