Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 ... LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Talking

As an owner of a 2013 RT in California, I will be curious to see what the fix is going to be. Speculation is tough, but from reading the ODI website and all the associated documents, it seems like NHTSA is not looking at a band aid fix. If I read one of the letters right, they have to provide the defect information report to NHTSA as soon as it is finalized. So we will see what ends up happening in the coming weeks. I like everyone else is just hoping this solves the issue and we can get back to more important things, like riding....
    2015 RT , Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    I've got a Viper Red 2013 I havn't had any gas smell but I do get a lot of heat so I will just hang on and let this play out and see what happenes..
    Your Latitude is too high for your Attitude. You need to live further south where the temps are higher to get the gas smell and heat. Consider your self lucky. Ohio Is pretty much north of the real heat belt.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

THAT's your problem; Jack... You just live where it's too warm...
    Come try out New York in January and February; I guarantee that you won't feel excessively warm...
    If you'd like; I'd even be happy to let you stay at my house, and I'll come take care of yours...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by KennW View Post
    Many thanks for your prompt reply Spyder Ann 01 & Hayfield. With perfect riding conditions, Autumn and Winter I'm certainly hoping my 2013 RT will have had the fixes done to ensure I'll still be able to continue riding through next summer.
    Cheers
    Kenn

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I assume this recall is for ALL 2013 RT/RTS/RTL models?

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BRPcare View Post
    Hi everyone,

We'd like to bring to your attention a voluntary safety recall on 2013 Can-Am Spyder Roadster RT vehicles meant to address a risk of skin burn or vehicle fire.

Some of you might have already seen the announcement for the safety recall on the Transport Canada website; we're expecting that it should be posted on the NHTSA site shortly as well. [UPDATE: NHTSA has now posted the recall as well.] Owners of affected units will also be mailed a letter to this effect.

If you have any questions, please post them in this thread and we'll address them as best we can. Thank you all for your input, patience, support and cooperation in helping us identify and address this issue.
    Does this recall effect ALL RT models?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jetmech View Post
    Does this recall effect ALL RT models?
    All 2013 RT models.

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Your Latitude is too high for your Attitude. You need to live further south where the temps are higher to get the gas smell and heat. Consider your self lucky. Ohio Is pretty much north of the real heat belt.

Jack
    not so true jack i live in mas and get heat and fuel smell all the time if it above 80F

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Pretty sure it gets hot in OH during the summer.....lol.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Come try out New York in January and February; I guarantee that you won't feel excessively warm...
    If you'd like; I'd even be happy to let you stay at my house, and I'll come take care of yours...
    No deal Bob, but anytime you get a craving for Cactus, Warm weather and Cold Beer you can always stay with us!

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I wonder if that's what happened here in the first place. The tests may have simply been done in colder weather, so nobody caught the issue and since the engine that was intended for that frame had more power nobody figured that the older engine would actually create more heat?

The only thing I know is that I run a business and no matter what I do something I didn't even see as a potential problem jumps up and bites me in the ass.

Spyder Garage

MRH, I think there is a good probability that your hypothesis concerning the extent of the problem with the 2013 RT is correct. Also, I've been watching posts on this topic for the past 16 months - as long as I've been on this forum. I have noticed that there is definitely a correlation between the severity of the heat complaint (and the related consequences), and how far south the poster is located (in North America). I believe that, with some exceptions, location probably has more to do than anything else about why some 2013 RT's seem to manifest the problem more than others.

Quote Originally Posted by latony007 View Post
    yes it appears everyone else with heat issues other that 2013 RT are screwed.
    I think it's probably way to early to assume that. The NHTSA investigation is not yet complete. I take this "interim news" simply to mean that since the 2013 RT has the worst problem, it gets some initial attention. After the instigation is over and the paperwork complete, I expect there will be other recalls - including possibly another for the 2013 RT.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-01-2015 at 04:43 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default As of 3 days ago

http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/730/22...RT-Recall.aspx

I found this. It is dated 2/26/15. Also, one member of our group says hers has been done and here is the picture.

I'm thinking maybe they used hers for the prototype? From the article, this will not help much at idle or low speed above 85 degrees unless they have a fan pushing/pulling air into those vents. i know my '14 RT blows air out the front with fans to cool it down. Might end up doing that.

Also, several members have been told by the dealer that the upgrades have already been done. If one is available, I would like to get a parts list to them to give them some ammo with their dealers.

As it stands, I would do at least exactly what the article and BRP says about prolonged idling and cool down before going into an enclosed area. Makes a lot of sense to me...
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Doc Humphreys View Post
    http://www.motorcycle-usa.com/730/22...RT-Recall.aspx

I found this. It is dated 2/26/15. Also, one member of our group says hers has been done and here is the picture.

I'm thinking maybe they used hers for the prototype? From the article, this will not help much at idle or low speed above 85 degrees unless they have a fan pushing/pulling air into those vents. i know my '14 RT blows air out the front with fans to cool it down. Might end up doing that.

Also, several members have been told by the dealer that the upgrades have already been done. If one is available, I would like to get a parts list to them to give them some ammo with their dealers.

As it stands, I would do at least exactly what the article and BRP says about prolonged idling and cool down before going into an enclosed area. Makes a lot of sense to me...

I just read the article you posted. I'm amazed there are so few units sold in 2013. Wow only
    5165. You would think BRP would just do a buy back or return for a 2014.

(BRP estimates that 100% of the 5165 units included in the recall are affected by the issue.)

Spyder Garage

Gee, I sure hope this interim recall for the 2013's involves more than just adding two side air scoops. Also I'd like to see a wider picture of that to see how it looks on the bike.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

that looks like a rs or st side photo the RT does not have quick release pins for the oil side panel

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If one assumes a buy-back, with an average price of $28,000; that's over 144 million dollars!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    I wonder if that's what happened here in the first place. The tests may have simply been done in colder weather, so nobody caught the issue and since the engine that was intended for that frame had more power nobody figured that the older engine would actually create more heat?

The only thing I know is that I run a business and no matter what I do something I didn't even see as a potential problem jumps up and bites me in the ass.
    I believe that the early test riders said they were test ridden in Canada. Not a great place to find heat issues.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 03-02-2015 at 03:33 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If one assumes a buy-back, with an average price of $28,000; that's over 144 million dollars!

so what if they were willing to give you .... let's say $5k plus your bike for a 14. Would that work?? Seems to me that would cost them a lot less plus every owner should expect some deprecation.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    that looks like a rs or st side photo the RT does not have quick release pins for the oil side panel
    Thats what it looks like to me also. Probably the new scoops that were developed 1-2 years ago for the rs and rt. Good catch.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default lets all sing

NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

SERIOUSLY

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mastertek2000 View Post
    Unless that's part of the new side panel. That's what it looks like to me.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

A friend of mine was part of a group recruited by BRP a couple of years ago to test ride Spyders on a race track just south of Phoenix in the summer heat. He didn't report any heat issues with bike, but got bored very quickly going round and round in circles. He could have been test riding a 2014 prototype, but I would guess that running the Spyder in hot conditions is part of the test procedure. They do, after all, make other vehicles that run winter and summer not just either/or.
    George

2017 BMW R1200R

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    Gee, I sure hope this interim recall for the 2013's involves more than just adding two side air scoops. Also I'd like to see a wider picture of that to see how it looks on the bike.
    I'll ask her for some more pix and an exact on the bike!
    She says the bike is a '13 STS...
    Last edited by Roadster Renovations; 03-01-2015 at 08:07 PM.