Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    if you are willing to travel ... stick to your offer... some dealers just don't want to cut their profit margin...that's ok.. save them the trouble of depositing your money into their bank account... some dealers figure a smaller profit is better than NO PROFIT.. its to your advantage to be informed.. the internet is your best friend for getting better prices... then call the dealer.. get a signed buyer order faxed to you.. then go get it... and enjoy the ride home with a big smile of your face....

osm
    I run a small business and have run up against this argument a number of times. That small "profit" may not be profit at all. It may not represent enough money to cover reasonable costs of running the business, which include feeding the dealer's family. There is an importance to maintaining the integrity of one's pricing for all of one's clients, and selling too cheap can cost money in future sales.

Now, some dealers have no business being in business, but there are many others who work very hard (and take a lot of risk in their business) to make it possible for us to ride and service our Spyders.

No question about it, this is a free market and we can all take our business where we like, but the thread of anger that seems to be running underneath the unwillingness of the dealer to sell the Spyder for what they buyer wants to pay doesn't seem warranted to me.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    Interesting , and you know this because you are a BRP / Spyder Dealer ???????.....................Mike

I do work for one, yes sir.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ACE1330 View Post
    I do work for one, yes sir.
    Do you know if all dealers end up paying the same cost for each unit, or do rebates, quality discounts, and other factors come into play that put the cost to one dealer at a different level than the cost to another dealer?

Spyder Garage

If anyone knows Lone Spyders please get him to respond to my PM for his for sale ad in the classifieds.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MRH View Post
    Do you know if all dealers end up paying the same cost for each unit, or do rebates, quality discounts, and other factors come into play that put the cost to one dealer at a different level than the cost to another dealer?
    That is the $30,500 question! I would guess if ACE knows the answer he's not going to tell because he will want to keep his job. There is no doubt in my mind there are variables like what you ask about and those variables can, and probably do, impact the final selling price a dealer will quote. It's my understanding pricing schemes got changed in the auto world with the advent of automotive web sites. The factory invoice price that a site like Edmunds quotes is, I believe, a real invoice price that gets put on the books as the flooring cost of the car to the dealer. When the dealer says this is what the car cost me to bring into my showroom, he's not lying. What we don't know, and what's not widely known, is what the year end rebate or other factory incentives there are that determine the real cost of the car to the dealer. From what I have seen and experienced those numbers have successfully been kept under wraps. It's all part of the cat and mouse game dealers and customers play with each other. I just looked at one car price on Edmunds. The average selling price for a new car was about 8% less than the MSRP and $50 above factory invoice. There's no way dealers will stay in business selling new cars with only a $50 margin. They have to be getting money somewhere else in the entire scheme of moving new cars. And one thing you can hang your hat on is they are not going to tell us! Those are just as secret as the Colonel's 11 herbs and spices recipe!

My oldest brother worked for a grocery wholesaler years ago. He said that groceries, especially items like canned goods, went through the local grocer with at best a 2 or 3% markup. Where the grocer really made his money was with the year end rebates from the food producers and wholesalers. Crazy pricing method, but it helps the manufacturer to maintain a more stable selling price to the public, which helps all the retailers by minimizing the margin available for undercutting each other.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I believe this is the way it works based on knowing a former BRP dealer.

Each Dealer is charged the same price for new BRP product being delivered to their store. The difference comes in depending the the BRP classification of the dealer. If the dealer is classified as gold rather than silver than he will receive a discount (or larger kick back) on the product from BRP. So, he may pay the same amount as all the other dealers (on paper) but once the numbers are played out he ends up with more profit (theoretically..........also has more room to discount) in the end.

The same holds true for service work. A dealer that has a higher classification level will get paid a higher hourly rate for BRP warranty service work. The higher the BRP classification level the more "perks" a dealer receives.

The real question is how does a dealer achieve a higher classification? I think that has to do more with what they buy from BRP than anything. What they buy meaning. If a dealer "buys" service tech training from BRP every year for their techs they receive a higher classification. If the dealer fully subscribes to the BRP parts and maintenance software they receive a higher classification. If a dealer sells more product they receive a higher classification. So, a dealer has to invest more in order to receive a higher classification and therefore potentially make more.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default You are very close!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    I believe this is the way it works based on knowing a former BRP dealer.

Each Dealer is charged the same price for new BRP product being delivered to their store. The difference comes in depending the the BRP classification of the dealer. If the dealer is classified as gold rather than silver than he will receive a discount (or larger kick back) on the product from BRP. So, he may pay the same amount as all the other dealers (on paper) but once the numbers are played out he ends up with more profit (theoretically..........also has more room to discount) in the end.

The same holds true for service work. A dealer that has a higher classification level will get paid a higher hourly rate for BRP warranty service work. The higher the BRP classification level the more "perks" a dealer receives.

The real question is how does a dealer achieve a higher classification? I think that has to do more with what they buy from BRP than anything. What they buy meaning. If a dealer "buys" service tech training from BRP every year for their techs they receive a higher classification. If the dealer fully subscribes to the BRP parts and maintenance software they receive a higher classification. If a dealer sells more product they receive a higher classification. So, a dealer has to invest more in order to receive a higher classification and therefore potentially make more.

Trying not to say to much, I will try and help. You are very close on your thoughts. The "Platinum" status of a dealership does help with certain of these things. But the manner of which you become platinum is a little off. It is becoming harder to reach the platinum status of dealerships. BRP has cracked down on the dealers and held them more accountable than in the past. It is in some part the amount of units that you sell, rather than how many you buy. But this is by far not all its based on. You must have a reputable service dept., which maintains multiple certified techs and at least one master tech. Your parts room plays a big role in the classification. Also, more than you guys know, the little surveys you guys send in play a big role. I know that BRP has its flaws, and all dealers, including ours, does as well, but BRP does make it challenging to maintain "Platinum" status. If you have noticed the number of these dealers have dropped significantly. Yes the dealer has to invest more per say, but its not how much money they give BRP. I do believe it has improved the quality of dealers out there, which is a big win for the consumer.
    Now the question of how does some dealers sell cheaper than others. The more units a dealer sells, the larger the holdback or "bonus" a dealer will receive. The big dealers knowing the amount they will attain, will work this in as discounts on the bikes, same as all of the other dealers do the rebates. As far as I know all dealers pay the same for the unit, shipping costs may vary, and a dealer decides what to charge for the setup fee (not paid by BRP.) This is why your small local dealer cannot offer you the same price as a larger one in a big city. So don't be so hard on the small guys when they cant get the price as low as the others.

Spyder Garage

Selling cars and selling bikes are way different. Car dealerships have a 3% hold back on the retail price. Example, $30,000 sticker, $900 hold back. The hold back is paid to the dealer quarterly. There are also monthly, quarterly bonuses for selling a certain amount of cars. And there are factory to dealer incentives on certain models. Some more so than others. So, with that said. A dealer can sell at cost, and make a lot of money! Also there are flooring plans that delay billing a car to the dealer for a certain amount of time. I was in my motorcycle dealer once when the sales manager said he just dropped $200,000 on ATV's. When I asked if that was good. His reply, "awesome"! We get them for 180 days free floor planning. So, there are a number of back door deals available. Tom
    Baloo is my name. Spyders are my game. Well, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, yes, it's a doo-bah-dee-doo, I mean a doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee, doo-bee-dee-doo. And, well, now. Ha ha! What have we here?

2020 Petrol Blue Metallic RTL

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Exactly, all BRP dealers work off a "floor plan". They have X amount of time to sell product with no payments and then start making payments on the inventory once that grace period is up. This insures BRP receives their money when the product is delivered to the dealer. The dealer may have 50 new units on the floor he hasn't paid for but BRP has been paid in full and the floor plan company is waiting on their money from the dealer. This set up has pros and cons obviously but its typically the way business is done for items like this.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Rodriguez View Post
    Exactly, all BRP dealers work off a "floor plan". They have X amount of time to sell product with no payments and then start making payments on the inventory once that grace period is up. This insures BRP receives their money when the product is delivered to the dealer. The dealer may have 50 new units on the floor he hasn't paid for but BRP has been paid in full and the floor plan company is waiting on their money from the dealer. This set up has pros and cons obviously but its typically the way business is done for items like this.
    For those who don't know (I didn't until right now), the internet tell me that Floor Plan Companies are loan companies that actually pay for the vehicles (instead of the dealerships, because that much inventory requires very deep pockets). Those companies, of course, charge interest on that money. So, the longer something sits in the showroom, the more expensive it becomes for the dealer.

(Think about all those 2013 RT's that seem to be very hard to move, and continue to cost the dealers money every month they sit unsold.)

Spyder Garage

One way yes. I got super lucky deal on mine & in be coming friends with the crew @ dealership i learned how the various surveys they send me affect their rating ...cost of parts & units. Not just the quota most might be use to. So if ur dealer is platinum certified they earned it & wanna keep it. In my area i have 10 dealers NSEW of me. The closest is the 1 not ranked @ jack squat. Lol & i see why. Happy to get 1hr ride out of town for proper help!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

You're not that far, I'd call Brewer's in Henderson, NC. They likely won't be as cheap as the mail order folks, my RT-S was 24,9 in October, but they are a darned good dealer and provide excellent service. These guys assemble the machine correctly and they don't screw around in the office with hard sells for add-ons and junk.

Been trading with them for a whole lot of years and they have a good reputation around here.

Quote Originally Posted by gparr View Post
    If anyone knows Lone Spyders please get him to respond to my PM for his for sale ad in the classifieds.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Spyder Garage

10-4 on Brewer Cycles. Excellent dealer. Just a few miles off I85.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Spyder Garage

What you got was standard car salesmen procedure. Good guy (salesman) bad guy (sales manager). Usually, when you walk, they come back with a better offer, but not always.
    3:16

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MidTNDawg View Post
    Your dealer may be correct about hidden charges. Ask the online dealers for an out-the-door price IN WRITING.
    Louis motorsports is 23,500 for the RT limited. No hidden Mickey Mouse charges. I know several who bought there. The day I was leaving town for the Hill Country Ride near San Antonio, TX and to pick up a new RT Limited from them I called the local dealer to see if he could match there price. They did and then some. My RTL had the comfort heated seat installed. Vented windshield, back rest and a few other things which add up to $2500 plus. I paid $23,500 plus TTL same as Louis Sports plus all the goodies. They gave me same price as Louis for my 13 RTS. I am just as hard to deal with as the dealers. Don't be shy or afraid to walk. You can bet they still made money or they would not have sold it to me. This dealer has 36 BRP dealerships around the Southwest and Florida. Pretty much a monopoly around these parts and usually very hard to deal with.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 03-19-2015 at 09:39 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default Extenuating circumstances

The deal you offered IS below what the dealer paid. Dealers like Louis Powersports will sell end of year below what they paid to gain access to rights to ensure they will be able to buy more 2015 models from the factory. They have very little overhead and do very little trade-in business. Plus, if they are out of white then you are going to be hard pressed to find white.
    You do not really have too much control over this deal and I say that what he is offering you is a pretty honest deal on a Limited model anyway. If I were you I would go back with an offer around what they are asking. Why argue over a thousand bucks when your options are VERY limited (no pun intended). The prices went up big time in this model year and end of year sales are many months away.

Good luck

Spyder Garage

...yes, I agree and I can't say I had a good experience with Louis as they wanted to skin me on
    my trade in, so the local dealer here in Hot Springs was $25,000 for a Ltd. but gave me above
    wholesale on my trade.....they have a White LTD also now but they are $25,500. They say the white one is $500 more for the pearl paint, so I got the cognac....2weeks ago.

Spyder Garage

Default A lot of truth

has finally worked its way to the top in this thread. But there is still the unknown. I suppose some of the "I know for a fact" people will always amuse me.
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

You might contact Albert, internet sales manager at Central Florida Powersports (407-847-2342). There is a reason they were the National 2014 Dealer of the Year for Can Am Spyder
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER