Quote Originally Posted by Flamewinger View Post
I've seen both ways to install new bearings, either using grease around the outside of the bearing and inside where you're going to install it, and some don't use any grease at all. The service manual shows & specifies how to remove the bearings using a blind bearing puller, but when it comes to installing new bearings all it says is "install new bearings".

Use grease or not?

Susie
Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It really depends on what kind of bearing you are addressing and its application. Need some more info.... What Spyder manual and area are you referring to?

That said:
Installing a bearing or race is usually best if done by using a bench-press because it applies equal pressure all around the bearing / race. If not, use something of equal diameter (i.e. old bearing or race) as a "drift" so equal force is applied when striking to prevent "cocking" of the bearing / race during installation. Make sure you cover your "drift" with duct tape to prevent marring to the new bearing / race.

As Lamont stated, freezing the race makes the race "smaller" thus adding to an easier installation. Just make sure the area where the race is installed is both clean and then inspected for any kind of possible damage caused by removal before installing the new one.