Thread: reserve tank?

Spyder Garage

Default reserve tank?

We have a 2011 rt limited, new to us last Aug. Never concerned myself with gas mileage, just filled it and road with a smile on my face. Previous bikes, in the 70's & 80's, had a pet cock to turn for the reserve gas tank to kick in if you 'forgot' about filling the tank. Does the spyder have a reserve in the gas tank? I have few times risen and by not looking at the gas guage, found it to be at or in the red. Never ran out, but was wondering if the guage shows E, is it empty or does the reserve kick in?

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOPE

There is no separate RESERVE....It's more like what you have on your car/truck etc.......after the guage gives you a warning you have approx 1.5 gal left before empty ....Mike ..................Considering you only have 6 usable Gallons to begin with 1.5 reserve is wide margin

Spyder Garage

Basically the amber light that comes on when you're low on petrol is your reserve.

On older bikes the only difference between 'reserve' and 'on' was a bit of pipe that meant that 'on' would take petrol from higher up while 'reserve' went right from the bottom of the tank. Obviously a fuel gauge and amber light are a lot better than the stutter and frantic fumbling to find the reserve position while overtaking an 18 wheeler:-)

There was one guy who fitted a rather nice extra fuel tank in the frunk of his Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Default None...

no reserve petcock. They never had a reserve tank just two levels on the petcock. This was replaced with a warning light. Once the light comes on its a good idea to look for a filling station. If you know your mpg figure that is what you have left. I carry a liter metal gas bottle on long backroads just in case...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No traditional "reserve" with fuel injection.
    Think of it as "auto reserve". When the dash light comes on, your on reserve.

Spyder Garage

If you get the "usual" mileage from your 2011, the light should go on at about 150 miles.

I always zero out the trip meter at each fill so I know how many miles have been driven on the current tank. I fill to the same level each time so try to avoid that little error.

Some people have disconnected their gas and temp gauges. When disconnected, the gauges revert back to digital on the main panel. The digital gauges are more accurate for gas level. Both gauges have to be disconnected if you decide to make this change.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red