Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Spyder Garage

In my quest to try a semi-auto a friend met me at QuickShot yesterday with some of his arsenal: A Ruger .22 target pistol, a .380, .40 and a .9 mm. I liked the Ruger - very easy to shoot. But I have come to the conclusion that a semi is not for me. Too heavy, felt uncomfortable and at times I would flinch when I shot the .380. That is not good with something that doesn't have a safety!!! I am very seriously considering getting the S & W Ladysmith .38/.38+/.357 revolver. It's on what they call a "J" frame and fit very comfortably in my hand. Not too heavy. I do have a .22 Ruger that I will use for practice and to get more proficient before getting my CC license. Wish me luck!
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Spyder Garage

Not the smallest but will defiantly stop them is the JUDGE! Wide range of ammo, I prefer open Cary myself with full frame but 5rounds of 00 buck &for the new "zombie" rounds make a HOLE! Or several. Keep a slug in for last, good measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Not the smallest but will defiantly stop them is the JUDGE! Wide range of ammo, I prefer open Cary myself with full frame but 5rounds of 00 buck &for the new "zombie" rounds make a HOLE! Or several. Keep a slug in for last, good measure.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Just checked it out and a video on their website. Holy hell!!! That'll put a very large hole in someone!!!
    2014 RT Limited SE-6 in Black Currant. Mods so far: Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder Kit, Diamond R Drivers Tour Mug, Tric Led Drink Holder, BRP Hitch, Mini Trailer USA Nomad Trailer. RonBar and links, Spyclops I & II, Lighted Bump Skid, LED head and fog lights. Foam hand grips. A arm lights, both upper and lower

Spyder Garage

In general, and I would hope always, the CCW will be used in an up close self defense situation. I like the S&W Bodyguard 380. It's compact, holds 7 rounds. True, the double action is a bit heavy, but up close and scared, that isn't going to matter much.

Of course, you could use one like in my avatar. If hearing the hammer clicking and the cylinder rotating doesn' scare off the bad guy, after the first shot there'll be enough smoke that he won't be able to see you.
    Last edited by kep-up; 02-09-2015 at 06:59 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Just starting....

to get back into handguns.
    Bought a Ruger SR9c 9mm on Saturday.
    I was looking at the LC9s too.
    Liked the looks and feel of the SR.
    Haven't fired a round thru it yet.....

Bill

Quote Originally Posted by mowin View Post
    Looking for a new CCW, and 2 of my contenders are Sig P 238 and Springfield XD series. I like the XDs and theXDm.
    Any opinions on these?

I also like Kimbers ultra carry II, but its out of my $700 cap.
    Im not a glock fan, so there off the list.

I'm leaning toward a 40cal, but a 9mm is a possibility.
    Last edited by bill pitman; 02-09-2015 at 08:41 AM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by kep-up View Post
    Of course, you could use one like in my avatar. If hearing the hammer clicking and the cylinder rotating doesn' scare off the bad guy, after the first shot there'll be enough smoke that he won't be able to see you.
    Just use it to beat the to death...
    They make GREAT hammers.
    Here's my Hammer: TC Scout.jpg
    A T/C Scout in .54 caliber... Because they DON'T make a .58!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-09-2015 at 08:47 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Lots of good advice!

Remember WHY you are buying it and WHAT you intend on using it for and against WHO.

That said, here is my 2-cents, NEVER compromise on "knock down potential" for feel or size. A large attacker on drugs requires a greater knock down amount of energy vs a small framed woman. A lesson every CCL American should have learned from Ferguson.

Also consider what bullets you will be using(i.e. a higher cal with a lower grain load) to reduce recoil improving accuracy for a "double tap" and to prevent "thru and thru" penetration - you want to stop the person not shoot thru them. Most "gun fights" are less than 20 feet so really any gun will be "accurate" at that distance. No gun, regardless of how accurate it is, can control the rush of adrenaline which effects your ability to hit anything - even at a closer range.

Finally, know your State laws regarding the difference between "self defense" and "brandishing a firearm". One can save your life while the other can ruin it.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Before buying any pistol go to a range that rents various guns. Try several. Then make your choice...holding a gun & shooting one is different as night and day...what ever you buy...get professional traning...your life will depend on your skills...