Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Goodbye Radio Shack

In 1963, the year after I got married, a guy named Tandy bought out Radio Shack (a firm out of Boston founded by two brothers who were Ham radio enthusiasts) and moved their headquarters to Fort Worth where he ran a chain of leather craft stores.

He expanded Radio Shack (named after the place on boats where the wireless equipment was housed) modeling it after his leather business. He stocked thousands of items in the stores that appealed to radio hobbyists… batteries, cords, switches, dials, capacitors, etc. and by 1971 there were 1,000 stores.

I bought my first radio kit at Radio Shack. My first 23 channel CB unit came from there. A set of Radio Shack Realistic shelf speakers were a nice add to my stereo system and in 1979 I bought a TRS-80. A 12 inch monitor with just one shade of gray, 16K of memory and a cassette player where you could save data while waiting for someone to invent a hard drive. What a wonderful thing it was. (The operating system was from Microsoft).

Then along came cell phones and Radio Shack jumped in with both feet. The company changed from one where employees could assist people in hooking up their VCR to their TV to one where all they did was push cell phones and cell plans.
    Ask an employee for a Y cable to turn an RF into a mini and you would get a blank stare.

But the monster cell phone company, soon began to kill off their merchandise lines… the GPS, the camcorder, the voice recorder, answering machines, etc. were all swallowed up in one device called an IPhone. The IPhone had negated any need for fourteen of the fifteen lead items in the Radio Shack 1996 catalog.

Ahhh, the catalog. It was a pain in the rear to record your name and address with each sale but it got you on the list to be mailed that great catalog… it was fun to read.

Goodbye Radio Shack… R.I.P.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

You got married in 1962?

Ohsnap!!!

I'm in the wrong group.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SNOOPY View Post
    You got married in 1962?

Ohsnap!!!

I'm in the wrong group.

Yeah... I was a child groom.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Married to the same woman?

Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

You got married in 1962?

Ohsnap!!!

I'm in the wrong group.

I got married in 1968, still with the same crazy woman that married me.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    I got married in 1968, still with the same crazy woman that married me.

Cruzr Joe

That's awesome.....but I was barely a sparkle in my parents eyes. LOL

Spyder Garage

wait a minute...47 years?

You've been married my entire life.

Spyder Garage

Default Memories...!!

I remember Tandy well. My first computer was the well known "Trash 80" programming ont cassetts. The competition between Radio Shack and Lafayette was fierce. But it was a fun cataloge and store. Sad to see...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

they said marriage is forever, but this one is taking too long.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    they said marriage is forever, but this one is taking too long.

Cruzr Joe

Suck it up Princess

Spyder Garage

At one time, you could buy kits there that covered almost anything in the electronics world, I built quite a few of them. Can't find things like that anymore.

john

Spyder Garage

Married to the same woman?

Yep.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    I remember Tandy well. My first computer was the well known "Trash 80" programming ont cassetts. The competition between Radio Shack and Lafayette was fierce. But it was a fun cataloge and store. Sad to see...
    Was that a TRS-80? It was an entire table/desk. Back when a good copy machine was about 10' long. Now when Double Trouble first experienced Radio Shack most businesses still used the Abacus.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In November of 2013; you mentioned being 49...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    Yep.
    Nice

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    In November of 2013; you mentioned being 49...
    Okay, so he's been married since I was 2-3

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If they truly wanted to be a tech store then they would have kept up with tech, staples carries phones, computers, printers....

Spyder Garage

Another business is outdated
    Last edited by jimnsusie; 02-07-2015 at 11:57 AM.

Spyder Garage

When I got my undergraduate degree, the only job I could find was at Radio Shack, and I had to fight to get it. We had great Customer Service (IN the store), and loyal customers.

I still think about RS first, when I need electrical or electronic components - heck, they were a key supplier when I started my first medical device company...

Ah well, the times they are a changin' as "Bob" used to say...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Revolving door CEO's

One of the things that hurt RS was the CEO turnover. After 4 CEO's in a space of 6 years, they hired a guy in the late 90's who decided to take on the big box stores. He wanted to outdo Circuit City and Best Buy as well as some regional players so he launched Famous Brands Electronics, then Computer City and then Incredible Universe.

They were all anti Radio Shack stores. I can recall the Incredible Universe store here in suburban Atlanta that opened in 1997. It had an in-store restaurant, a Karaoke studio, a huge game room, rows upon rows of televisions, aisles and aisles of home appliances and very, very loud music everywhere.

It didn't work out very well because the store managers, recruited from Radio Shack had no clue how to run a store like this.

After a few years, they all closed down and some of these locations are still vacant today.

After this expansion, Radio Shack sales jumped to nearly seven billion in 1998. That was also the same year they lost money for the first time.

There is some kind of lesson here.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Double Trouble View Post
    In 1963, the year after I got married, a guy named Tandy bought out Radio Shack (a firm out of Boston founded by two brothers who were Ham radio enthusiasts) and moved their headquarters to Fort Worth where he ran a chain of leather craft stores.

He expanded Radio Shack (named after the place on boats where the wireless equipment was housed) modeling it after his leather business. He stocked thousands of items in the stores that appealed to radio hobbyists… batteries, cords, switches, dials, capacitors, etc. and by 1971 there were 1,000 stores.

I bought my first radio kit at Radio Shack. My first 23 channel CB unit came from there. A set of Radio Shack Realistic shelf speakers were a nice add to my stereo system and in 1979 I bought a TRS-80. A 12 inch monitor with just one shade of gray, 16K of memory and a cassette player where you could save data while waiting for someone to invent a hard drive. What a wonderful thing it was. (The operating system was from Microsoft).

Then along came cell phones and Radio Shack jumped in with both feet. The company changed from one where employees could assist people in hooking up their VCR to their TV to one where all they did was push cell phones and cell plans.
    Ask an employee for a Y cable to turn an RF into a mini and you would get a blank stare.

But the monster cell phone company, soon began to kill off their merchandise lines… the GPS, the camcorder, the voice recorder, answering machines, etc. were all swallowed up in one device called an IPhone. The IPhone had negated any need for fourteen of the fifteen lead items in the Radio Shack 1996 catalog.

Ahhh, the catalog. It was a pain in the rear to record your name and address with each sale but it got you on the list to be mailed that great catalog… it was fun to read.

Goodbye Radio Shack… R.I.P.
    I was an employee of Tandy Leather Company for over 29 years. Radio Shack was in its infancy when I came aboard as an employee. That really was Charles Tandy's baby and it worked very well for several years.

RS like Tandy Leather took some wrong turns and lost market and customer loyalty. Tandy Leather went out of business but is now back and owned by its former main competitor.

Our local Eagle River RS store went out of business about 2 years ago.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-07-2015 at 03:11 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I was an employee of Tandy Leather Company for over 29 years. Radio Shack was in its infancy when I came aboard as an employee. That really was Charles Tandy's baby and it worked very well for several years.

RS like Tandy Leather took some wrong turns and lost market and customer loyalty. Tandy Leather went out of business but is now back and owned by its former main competitor.

Our local Eagle River RS store went out of business about 2 years ago.
    You beat me to it, Dwayne. I was going to add that Tandy was a leather kit supplier before they became Radio Shack!

[Now I feel really old.]
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You're not old: Just Beautiful, with some experience!
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-08-2015 at 06:11 PM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

radio Shack Stores to be closed by March 31, 2015:

http://www.scribd.com/doc/255034573/...store-closures

Joe T.
    Joe T.
    I miss SoCal - - - -