Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Wiring harness for after market trailer, 2010 RTS

I have a chance to get a nice aftermarket trailer for my 2010 RTS. Bike was a demo model when I bought it, and already had the hitch installed. Guess my question is what do I need to buy to get this trailer working for my bike. I am 72 yrs young, and riding long distance I find I need more space even with a luggage rack. Any help would be wonderful!!

Spyder Garage

You're not far from us. Was just in Angier to weeks ago. As far as the trailer, you may just need an adapter for the plug. What brand of trailer are you getting?

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default wiring harness for after market trailer, 2010 RTS

Quote Originally Posted by bruiser View Post
    You're not far from us. Was just in Angier to weeks ago. As far as the trailer, you may just need an adapter for the plug. What brand of trailer are you getting?
    Actually, I do not know the name of it, I am going to look at it tomorrow at Tractor Supply, in the add it says it is 44-1/2" x 78" 8 inch wheel and tires, and 600lb capacity. It is shaped a lot like the regular Spyder trailer. I am not in Angier right now, I have another house over in Western NC. that is where I am with the bike. Thank you for your reply.

Spyder Garage

There are adaptors for most standard (4/5 pin) trailer plugs. There are also a couple of threads that talk about how to make one....
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If you have a 2010 RT it most likely has a round 9 pin trailer harness. And it is highly unlikely that the trailer you are looking at has the same connection. If you are not mechanical you may find it easiest to go to a trailer supply store where they install hitches and they could easily adapt the trailer to your Spyder. If you are mechanical search on trailer wiring and look for replies from Nancy's Toy, he posted several replies on the subject.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by paintedlady View Post
    Actually, I do not know the name of it, I am going to look at it tomorrow at Tractor Supply, in the add it says it is 44-1/2" x 78" 8 inch wheel and tires, and 600lb capacity. It is shaped a lot like the regular Spyder trailer. I am not in Angier right now, I have another house over in Western NC. that is where I am with the bike. Thank you for your reply.
    ​ "...shaped a lot like the regular Spyder trailer." Do you mean it's covered or has an enclosed carrier on it? After reading your thread earlier today I went to Tractor Supply's website and could not find any covered trailers.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by stillriding View Post
    ​ "...shaped a lot like the regular Spyder trailer." Do you mean it's covered or has an enclosed carrier on it? After reading your thread earlier today I went to Tractor Supply's website and could not find any covered trailers.
    Actually it is Harbor Freight, sorry, I got the two mixed up. Thanks

Spyder Garage

Default Harness available.

I have a chance to get a nice aftermarket trailer for my 2010 RTS. Bike was a demo model when I bought it, and already had the hitch installed. Guess my question is what do I need to buy to get this trailer working for my bike. I am 72 yrs young, and riding long distance I find I need more space even with a luggage rack. Any help would be wonderful!!
    Just wanted to let you know that my husband has his harness available that he had made and used with his 2010 RT. He bought a new RTS and does not need anymore. He posted pics and price in the FSBO Forum. You can see it there.
    Last edited by Spiderwoman; 02-07-2015 at 10:02 AM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default harness for 2010 rt

Quote Originally Posted by Spiderwoman View Post
    Just wanted to let you know that my husband has his harness available that he had made and used with his 2010 RT. He bought a new RTS and does not need anymore. He posted pics and price in the FSBO Forum. You can see it there.
    thanks I will look for it, sounds like just what I need!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Wiring harness.... for 2010 RT

thanks I will look for it, sounds like just what I need!
    This is what I made and used to go from the round RT plug to a 4 flat plug. Worked great......... it you have any questions please feel free. Asking 50.00 shipped to you. Good luck.

Spyder Garage

just my .02 cents worth ...................................... 8" tires are too small for highway use.

I am sure others will chime in.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=Cruzr Joe;932868]just my .02 cents worth ...................................... 8" tires are too small for highway use.

I am sure others will chime in.

Cruzr Joe[/QUOTE

Got to agree with Joe here. Bearings and tire would shred on the freeway. I doubt if the tire has a speed rating over 45 MPH. That poor little tire would have to spin about 3700 RPM @ 75 MPH for each mile traveled. A little common sense would apply here. I know, I know I did not do the exact math but that's close.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default 8" Tires will cause the Earth's destruction.

If you want to know how the Harbor Freight and other brand of small tires work out for the lightweight trailers you might want to get info from people who have actually used them. If someone says they aren't safe ask them for actual first-hand proof.

We pulled our little HF trailer on a trip that was over 500 miles, occasionally at speeds above 70 MPH with no issues. It has the 8" tires that came with it.

I just pulled my newly purchased used motorcycle camper over 400 miles from Ohio, behind my car (too cold for Spyder!) and went at least the speed limits on the interstate highways and I wasn't hit by single meteor or squashed by any asteroid. And it also has 8" tires!

You may want to take a look at some of the other forums such as:
    http://www.tnttt.com/viewtopic.php?t=49532&p=921631
    http://gl1800riders.com/forums/showt...s-55mph-Rating

Just filter out those folks that haven't actually used them...

20140902_152041-1.jpg
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Spyder Garage

To each his own. The statement that the Mfg puts that "55 MPH" sticker on their tire only to protect their a$$, is a true statement, they know what is reasonably safe and recommended.

We all make choices for our safety, make the one that you feel comfortable with. And a 72 year young woman traveling should not take any more chances than are reasonable for her safety.

Again this is my .02 cents worth.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Aside from the wiring harness, here's some advice on the HF trailer; 1-check the wiring, mine had bad splices and a couple of shorts when I got it, would have taken a fuse out if I plugged it in. 2-replace all the light bulbs with LED bulbs, the incandescent bulbs draw alot of current, again, blown fuse. 3-(and this is just habit of mine) find 2 4.80 by 12 4 bolt wheels and put them on. The 5 by 12 wheels won't fit under the fenders. 4-replace the open hooks on the safety chains with spring lock hooks.
    My HF trailer has been towed by both my Spyders for many miles with no problems.
    Oh yeah, make sure you repack the wheel bearings every spring.

john

Spyder Garage

Default Agree!

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    Aside from the wiring harness, here's some advice on the HF trailer; 1-check the wiring, mine had bad splices and a couple of shorts when I got it, would have taken a fuse out if I plugged it in. 2-replace all the light bulbs with LED bulbs, the incandescent bulbs draw alot of current, again, blown fuse. 3-(and this is just habit of mine) find 2 4.80 by 12 4 bolt wheels and put them on. The 5 by 12 wheels won't fit under the fenders. 4-replace the open hooks on the safety chains with spring lock hooks.
    My HF trailer has been towed by both my Spyders for many miles with no problems.

john
    John,
    I agree and I added a separate ground wire to every light plus soldered and weatherproofed every connection and changed out the incandescent lights for a Harbor Freight trailer LED light kit before I ever plugged the trailer into my Spyder.

The open hooks jumped out of the hitch within the first mile and you can't see or hear them dragging behind a Spyder - another kind motorist alerted me.

I cut the chains short and replaced the hooks with these but they would rattle loose even when I snugged them down with a wrench:

chain.jpg

I replaced them with these stainless steel clips (below) and they haven't jumped/rattled/fallen off yet. Remember that the Spyder's trailer hitch is attached to the rear wheel axle and has no suspension so that ball is jumping up and down with every move of the back wheel, amplified by the extension of the hitch.
    admin-upimg-20092271417235192.JPG
    Current:
    2016 Honda CTX700 DCT ABS (faring model)
    Kip Moto SherpaX Cargo Trailer

Wife Has:
    2014 Can-Am Spyder RT Limited
    2016 Lees-ure Lite Camping Trailer

Previous:
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RS SE5, zoom-zoom!
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5, Foot Burner - Gasoline Boiling Stinker - Gas Tank Vacuum Puller

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I
    Quote Originally Posted by Spiderwoman View Post
    I posted on his add, in case please let him know that I want to buy this if it is still available.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by owens9fingers View Post
    This is what I made and used to go from the round RT plug to a 4 flat plug. Worked great......... it you have any questions please feel free. Asking 50.00 shipped to you. Good luck.

I would like to buy this please let me know how we can get this done!

Spyder Garage

I would like to buy this please let me know how we can get this done!

Just had a chance to check SL and pass along your message to Gary. He is sending a PM off to you to make arrangements. Glad we could help.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post

john

Also, I would recommend cleaning and repacking the bearings with GOOD grease before even using the trailer. Harbor Freight trailers generally come with wheel bearing grease that looks like thin Vaseline and doesn't hold up well. It's cheap insurance.

Gene

2015 Honda Goldwing Comfort/Audio

**SOLD**2014 RT Limited, Black Currant
    B
    1975 Yamaha RD-125, Red
    1500 miles, all stock time capsule!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gened4288 View Post
    Also, I would recommend cleaning and repacking the bearings with GOOD grease before even using the trailer. Harbor Freight trailers generally come with wheel bearing grease that looks like thin Vaseline and doesn't hold up well. It's cheap insurance.
    +100!

Many many reviews even on the Harbor Freight website users say to repack the bearing!

Some of the Goldwing guys that use this trailer said that it is really not grease but just some lube to keep the bearings from rusting while on the shelf. I do not know if that is true or not but with smaller 8" tires the wheel RPM is a lot higher so repacking with a high speed grease is a must!

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default HF TRAILER

I pulled one last year out west for 4000 mi running 70 to 80 the whole time never had a problem.