Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Semi-automatic and oil

I try to read all of the oil reports -- however I have a difficult time discerning what transmission is in the oil test report.

We want the best as does everyone else. So has/have the tests be done with results specific for the semi-automatic trans and the 1330 engines? If so what are they? Does one brand of oil stand out?

I had used Amsoil (which I ran extended drains of about 12,000 miles) for 30 plus years in my bikes and vehicle (provided said vehicle didn't leak like a sieve). That would put the bikes in an area close to 500,000 miles and other vehicles over that. However in reading, I found good reviews of the 20-50 (by tests, it was shown that the 50 was closer to being a 60) Castrol RS for the bikes. So I tried it. Immediately I noticed that the engines were quieter. No change in mpg. So I bought Castrol Synthetic for the my truck -- it also quieted the engine down upon start up and continues to stay quiet.

Currently on the 14 Spyder, we did the first oil change at just over 3000 miles and probably have less than 1000 miles since the change which was BRP blend.

I have had a couple of PM's from members on here regarding oil, but all in all it can be really confusing.

I have never sent oil into a lab and really appreciate those that do that kind of research.

So the bottom line question -- are the results for the oils good for the semi-automatics and manual trans. Or should a different oil be used.

It would be so nice to see a spreadsheet ranking of oils and their results.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

if you meet the manufactuers spec's your good. Tons of oils and studies, brands and reports. Adds all over race cars etc. Any name brand is good and amsoil is one of them. But if you change your oil regularly you will have no problem but even the best start breaking down after 4,000 miles. The 1330 ace engine and new trans are no different...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Agree, the manual and semi-auto are basically the same transmission. Any name brand oil that meets the specs should work fine.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I agree as well. The Automatic Transmission is simply an alternative method of shifting the Manual gears. It's really misleading because the transmission is not the 'Automatic' part of what is going on. It is the Clutch Engagement and gear changing action that have been automated, (no clutch lever and no shift lever). The transmission gear clusters are identical.

However, it is the transmission gears, not the engine, which wear the oil out. That is why, in most applications, the engine has a specifically formulated oil and the transmission has a completely different oil designed especially for that particular environment.

But, to save weight and size, these 2 very dissimilar mechanisms are combined in most light weight machines, including motorcycle applications. This puts a real burden on 1 oil to do both jobs well. That is why I encourage people to consider using a better oil.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-01-2015 at 02:34 PM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post
    I agree as well. The Automatic Transmission is simply an alternative method of shifting the Manual gears. It's really misleading because the transmission is not the 'Automatic' part of what is going on. It is the Clutch Engagement and gear changing action that have been automated, (no clutch lever and no shift lever). The transmission gear clusters are identical.

However, it is the transmission gears, not the engine, which wear the oil out. That is why, in most applications, the engine has a specifically formulated oil and the transmission has a completely different oil designed especially for that particular environment.

But, to save weight and size, these 2 very dissimilar mechanisms are combined in most light weight machines, including motorcycle applications. This puts a real burden on 1 oil to do both jobs well. That is why I encourage people to consider using a better oil.
    What brand for the 2014's are your choices? I'm coming up on the second oil change soon and have been trying to wade through all the posts and admit I'm a little glassy eyed from that. Thx for your input :-)

P.S. I have some of your Amsoil left that we used on the GS before it sold and I would rather use that than the BRP synthetic blend, if it is a better option.
    Last edited by CentralCoastCA; 02-01-2015 at 03:11 PM.
    2020 RTL SE6 Asphalt Grey
    2014 RT SE6, Pearl White 57k (2014-2020)
    2008 GS Premier 17k (2012-2014)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CentralCoastCA View Post
    What brand for the 2014's are your choices? I'm coming up on the second oil change soon and have been trying to wade through all the posts and admit I'm a little glassy eyed from that. Thx for your input :-)

P.S. I have some of your Amsoil left that we used on the GS before it sold and I would rather use that than the BRP synthetic blend, if it is a better option.
    I recommend Amsoil because that is what I use and I've had it tested. I'm not saying Amsoil is the best. But I think the factual data shows it to be at least one of the best, and definitely superior to BRP's offerings. The biggest negative I get about Amsoil are people who do not like the way it is marketed. But that is not a ding on the product in any way.

The Amsoil you already have is perfect for the 1330 ACE motor. I'd say you are in good shape for an oil change as long as you have enough. The SM6 takes 5+ quarts so you will need 6 quarts for a change. The SE6 needs 6+ quarts so you'll need 7 quarts if you have the automatic trans version.

I now carry the HiFlo filter, O-Rings and Washer set for the 1330 ACE motor for $12.95 delivered.

Us Oil debaters make oil seem more complicated than it needs to be. Lubrication is a complicated subject. But if you stay within the BRP requirements and get a good, 100% Synthetic oil. You're headed in the right direction.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 02-01-2015 at 03:39 PM.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I recommend Amsoil because that is what I use and I've had it tested. I'm not saying Amsoil is the best. But I think the factual data shows it to be at least one of the best, and definitely superior to BRP's offerings. The biggest negative I get about Amsoil are people who do not like the way it is marketed. But that is not a ding on the product in any way.

The Amsoil you already have is perfect for the 1330 ACE motor. I'd say you are in good shape for an oil change as long as you have enough. The SM6 takes 5+ quarts so you will need 6 quarts for a change. The SE6 needs 6+ quarts so you'll need 7 quarts if you have the automatic trans version.

I now carry the HiFlo filter, O-Rings and Washer set for the 1330 ACE motor for $12.95 delivered.

Us Oil debaters make oil seem more complicated than it needs to be. Lubrication is a complicated subject. But if you stay within the BRP requirements and get a good, 100% Synthetic oil. You're headed in the right direction.
    Ron .. will you be at SpyderFest ? I would like to pick up a few filter kits for the 1330 ACE engine with auto trans..

osm

Spyder Garage

I agree with Ron, that Amsoil is about as good as you'll get without going to a boutique oil like Redline or Motul, and in my opinion is better than BRP.

Ron....first I've heard that Hiflo is now making an oil filter for
    the 1330. When did they start?

Good to know as I'm a fan of Hiflo. Are you assuming its good for 9000 miles? Hope so, as I plan on changing filter every other oil change.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ulflyer View Post
    I agree with Ron, that Amsoil is about as good as you'll get without going to a boutique oil like Redline or Motul, and in my opinion is better than BRP.

Ron....first I've heard that Hiflo is now making an oil filter for
    the 1330. When did they start?

Good to know as I'm a fan of Hiflo. Are you assuming its good for 9000 miles? Hope so, as I plan on changing filter every other oil change.
    HiFlo has been making a filter for the 1330 for some time. I've been carrying it since about September last year. I am now selling the filter and all the washers and O-Rings. I just haven't had time to really let everyone know.

Spyder Garage

Default 2014 Oill Changes

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    if you meet the manufactuers spec's your good. Tons of oils and studies, brands and reports. Adds all over race cars etc. Any name brand is good and amsoil is one of them. But if you change your oil regularly you will have no problem but even the best start breaking down after 4,000 miles. The 1330 ace engine and new trans are no different...jmo
    So if the oil breaks down at 4,000 miles or so, why is 9,300 miles between changes listed in the manual. I asked 2 different dealers and got 2 different answers, one says 9300 between changes and my dealer says 6,600? 9,300 miles seems excessive, currently I am using the BRP semi-synthetic Blend. I have always changed at 4,000 on anything else I owned including 2 wheel motorcycles and I used full synthetic in those. Any thoughts on this?
    Greetings from Idaho

2014 RT-S,
    Barjaron swaybar, chome luggage rack, Ram Mount GPS, 12 volt dash outlet, spyderflap mudflap, Rivco flag mounts, drink2go and custom handlebar drink holders,Driver Backrest,Tri-Axis Handlebars, TRICLed turn signal lights. Custon Dynamic Magic Strobe Brake Modulator, Triple Dash Pouches, "Squared Away" Laser Alignment, Spyderpops Bumpskid, TricLed "Knightrider" LED

2014 RT , White (Mine) Cognac (wifes)

Spyder Garage

HiFlo has been making a filter for the 1330 for some time. I've been carrying it since about September last year. I am now selling the filter and all the washers and O-Rings. I just haven't had time to really let everyone know.
    Glad to hear that. If one buys a filter and O rings separately from a dealer the two items would be nearly $30.

Your price of $12.95 shipped is a teriffic buy for those of us that do our own oil changes.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Glad to hear that. If one buys a filter and O rings separately from a dealer the two items would be nearly $30.

Your price of $12.95 shipped is a teriffic buy for those of us that do our own oil changes.
    How much shipped to Canada?
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Again.jpg But still; I agree with Ron.
    If you think that good oil is too expensive; try paying for some engine repairs!

It'll help to fix your perspective on the matter...
    Last edited by Bob Denman; 02-02-2015 at 11:23 AM.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Purple Guy View Post
    How much shipped to Canada?
    $2.00 more shipped to Canada. $14.95

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default JUST SAYIN !!!!!

I would never knock Amsoil products .....However Rotell T- 6...... 5 w- 40 is a Full Syn oil that meets and / or exceeds all BRP requirements for the 1330 Engine/trans combinations and it can be bought for approx. $ 20.40 per Gal at Walmart...................Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I would never knock Amsoil products .....However Rotell T- 6...... 5 w- 40 is a Full Syn oil that meets and / or exceeds all BRP requirements for the 1330 Engine/trans combinations and it can be bought for approx. $ 20.40 per Gal at Walmart...................Mike [emoji106]
    I havent seen this posted before in regards to oil. Can the 998 engines, SE5 particularly run the T6? I just switched to the T6 in my 2 wheeler and really like it so far.
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO

Quote Originally Posted by M109Dreamer View Post
    I havent seen this posted before in regards to oil. Can the 998 engines, SE5 particularly run the T6? I just switched to the T6 in my 2 wheeler and really like it so far.
    ......................NO NO NO .........Only the 1330 clutch / trans will be able to use this OIL ...............This clutch is different from the 990/998 series engines/trans .......................Mike

Spyder Garage

......................NO NO NO .........Only the 1330 clutch / trans will be able to use this OIL ...............This clutch is different from the 990/998 series engines/trans .......................Mike [emoji106]
    Ok thx for the clarification
    2007 M109R LE - To many MODS to list. Its cheaper that way!!!

Spyder Garage

I would never knock Amsoil products .....However Rotell T- 6...... 5 w- 40 is a Full Syn oil that meets and / or exceeds all BRP requirements for the 1330 Engine/trans combinations and it can be bought for approx. $ 20.40 per Gal at Walmart...................Mike
    It would be interesting to get a sample test on the Rotella T-6 oil. I like Rotella products and run it in my Ford Power Stroke and in my diesel tractor. I like Amsoil because I've had it tested and it's done the best of any oil I've tested or others I know have tested. But if another oil comes along with similar numbers for less money, that's fine with me.

Spyder Garage

Default I think the SE6 amount of oil was reduced wasn't it?

Don't have my notes in front of me, but it seems that Lamont
    put out a notice that the SE-6 amount of oil should be reduced to something like 5 1/4 quarts with filter change. Last time,
    I put in 5 quarts, took it for a run, then topped off just a tiny bit. Haven't added any since and it has about 3500 miles on it.

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Don't have my notes in front of me, but it seems that Lamont
    put out a notice that the SE-6 amount of oil should be reduced to something like 5 1/4 quarts with filter change. Last time,
    I put in 5 quarts, took it for a run, then topped off just a tiny bit. Haven't added any since and it has about 3500 miles on it.
    Don't doubt it's good information. But then why does the SE6 BRP oil change kit come with 7 quarts?

Spyder Garage

Don't doubt it's good information. But then why does the SE6 BRP oil change kit come with 7 quarts?
    Ron, same folks who say you can run it 9000 btwn changes.

Heres the thread saying about 5 quarts. See post 13 from Lamont:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=change+amount

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)

Spyder Garage

Ron, same folks who say you can run it 9000 btwn changes.

Heres the thread saying about 5 quarts. See post 13 from Lamont:

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...=change+amount
    Point well taken. I know there are some who think engineers are perfect. But if that were true, we'd still be building our homes out of mud and sticks...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was looking at the Amsoil and was undecided ..So the recommended Amsoil 10w40 is good to run on the new 1330 rotax engines?? I always liked Amsoil and been using there oil for a while now..

Spyder Garage

Everyone laughed when I used full Synthetic in my Ram's Cummins diesel - but the second owner now has 504,000 miles on the truck, and compression is still in new spec... Then, I'm also a pilot - you never use anything but full synthetic in an aircraft - why? because you can't pull to the side of the road, if there's a problem.. I wouldn't consider using non-synthetic, after break-in.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member