Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default I got 2 problems. Please help!!!!!!

First of all, I'm from Thailand. In here, there are not any dealer. I got Spyder GS 2008 SM5 from a importer. Some problems I can fix it by myself. But I got 2 problems that need your help.

1. 2 months ago, I got some text in LCD, "Brake Failure" and the brake indicator shows. I tried to find how to solve this problem in this forum, I got some. but when I tried to do press brake pad to reset it. Nothing happened. How can I fix it? But I can ride, nothing wrong.

2. Yesterday, I got the new problems, "Bad Key". I used the same key that I ride everyday but I could not start the engine. When I turned on the key, LCD was bright. So I pressed Mode button to start. LCD showed text; "bad key". T tried the use the 2nd key the same thing happened. I use the original keys.

Can you help me to fix these problems. Now I cannot ride the spyder anymore.

Thank you for your help.
    Last edited by siamteang; 02-09-2015 at 10:58 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Problem is..!!

we don't know which spyder you have. Always let us know or add it to your signature.

Brake failure has many solutions and causes. Low fluid levels, brake light and or switch, ryding with your foot on the brake, parking brake malfunction are the main ones. Some can be corrected by removing the key and walking away for a few minutes others need adjustments.

If you have the 2014 there is an issue with the ignition keys. You have to check with the dealer on that....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

i really hate to say this to you, but the spyder is quite a complex bike, software wise. to buy a bike with out a service department in the area is a tough thing to do. most fixes on this bike are done through a system called BUDS from BRP so some problems that you can't fix mechanically will need the BUDS system to fix,,, good luck and ride safe
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry I cannot help with your technical issues, but if it can be done, someone here will know how. So I'll just say
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default brake failure

you probably need to add a little brake fluid to the master cylinder.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Brownsburg Chatham Québec Canada & Fort Pierce FL
    Spyder Garage

Key Problem. Remove the key from the switch an put it in again. Some time my 2014 RT do that it is because the computer doesn't recognise the Key.

My dealer will change the switch wen i'll back in Canada.

You should be better to phone a BRP Dealer Canadian or USA.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Brake failure is likely low fluid level, even if it looks full put a little Dot 4 in. Key problem I have no idea but you could disconnect the battery for a time and then reconnect. Always make sure your battery is fully charged, use a battery maintainer.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    we don't know which spyder you have. Always let us know or add it to your signature.

Brake failure has many solutions and causes. Low fluid levels, brake light and or switch, ryding with your foot on the brake, parking brake malfunction are the main ones. Some can be corrected by removing the key and walking away for a few minutes others need adjustments.

If you have the 2014 there is an issue with the ignition keys. You have to check with the dealer on that....
    but the poor guy does NOT have a dealer in his country????????????
    THE BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Brake Failure Warning

2011 RT-S I experienced the exact same problem. Had the bike towed to the dealer for repair. The dealer found that the front brake reservoir was cracked and all fluid had leaked down on the rear suspension and exhaust. Dealer is replacing the reservoir and bleeding the brakes under B.E.S.T Warranty. Just finished a 300 hundred mile ride and put bike away when failure occurred.

Spyder Garage

Default key iaaue

Quote Originally Posted by siamteang View Post
    First of all, I'm from Thailand. In here, there are not any dealer. I got Spyder from a importer. Some problems I can fix it by myself. But I got 2 problems that need your help.

1. 2 months ago, I got some text in LCD, "Brake Failure" and the brake indicator shows. I tried to find how to solve this problem in this forum, I got some. but when I tried to do press brake pad to reset it. Nothing happened. How can I fix it? But I can ride, nothing wrong.

2. Yesterday, I got the new problems, "Bad Key". I used the same key that I ride everyday but I could not start the engine. When I turned on the key, LCD was bright. So I pressed Mode button to start. LCD showed text; "bad key". T tried the use the 2nd key the same thing happened.

Thank you for your help.
    What year?

Do you have the original can am keys or clones? Some Spyder owners with clones have the bad key issue.

Spyder Garage

The suggestions to check the brake fluid reservoir are right on. A teaspoon of fluid down and it will show the brake warning if you are on a hill.

The suggestion about removing the key and trying a restart is also a good one.

A low battery charge could be the cause of the key warning issue. Try charging the battery just to make sure it is operating properly.

Sad to hear you have no dealer back up. The and all its electronic systems can be a problem without the BUDS computer to pinpoint the issues.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

First of all, I'm from Thailand. In here, there are not any dealer. I got Spyder from a importer. Some problems I can fix it by myself. But I got 2 problems that need your help.....

2. Yesterday, I got the new problems, "Bad Key". I used the same key that I ride everyday but I could not start the engine. When I turned on the key, LCD was bright. So I pressed Mode button to start. LCD showed text; "bad key". T tried the use the 2nd key the same thing happened.

Thank you for your help.

It is probably impossible to get a new key matched to your bike given it takes a dealer to do that. Fixing the brake fluid issue isn't helpful if you can't get the bike started. Go back to the importer and see if you can get your money back because this bike is VERY complex and requires a computer that only the dealers have access to.

Spyder Garage

Do not give up. Be strong.
    1. Check tightness of battery terminals and ground.
    2. Charge battery.
    3. If that solves key problem, add break fluid.
    4. What ever happens, please let us know. We care.
    Good luck,
    Roger

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    you probably need to add a little brake fluid to the master cylinder.
    True--just happened to me--2 ounces later problem solved. Pull key out for 1 minute or more (after fully charging the battery) reinsert. It should work.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 01-30-2015 at 08:32 PM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyda98 View Post
    What year?

Do you have the original can am keys or clones? Some Spyder owners with clones have the bad key issue.
    One guy has reported getting a "bad key" error with a clone. However, since a clone has the same code as the original key that would also mean that the original would give a "bad key" error.

In this case the OP posted that the key he regularly used gave the bad key error so he tried the second key which also gave him the bad key error.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i'm curious, how much did your spyder cost including delivery

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

In case you hadn't checked...

This person was here only one; they posted this, and have NOT returned...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    In case you hadn't checked...

This person was here only one; they posted this, and have NOT returned...
    He probably fixed it and went for a ride,

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for your guy.

First, I ride the GS2008 SE5.

I'll try to fix it. I knew that too much risk to ride Spyder without any dealer BUT I LOVE SPYDER TOO MUCH.

I use the original keys.

Now I am going to buy the BUDS from the website.

I will come back to let you know.

Thank you so much.
    Last edited by siamteang; 03-21-2015 at 10:39 PM.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Came back to update my problem.

Hi guys. I came back to update my problems about my Spyder.

First, I got the BUDS from website. I tried to update and clear all faults in the module.

So I can fix the 1st problem about "brake failure". Now no more sign in LCD.

But the 2nd still remains. I can't start my engine. "Bad Key" still appears in the Lcd.

And I got the new text on screen, "Check DPS". How can I fix them or start my Spyder? Who ever get these problems before, please help me.

Thank
    Last edited by siamteang; 02-27-2015 at 10:44 AM.
    Ride GS 2008 SE5

Spyder Garage

Have you checked the battery? It may need replaced. If you DPS is bad (power steering) a dealer WILL have to fix it. It may be a power problem. Besides checking battery pull and reseat the relays in the fuse box.
    2013 Mag Silver SE5 RT BahaRon Sway bar & Sway bar links, Grip Puppies, Kuryakyn Helmet locks , Ultimate Seat w/Utopia Backrest, Dash power outlet, Spyderpops BumpSkid, Swagman Cup holders, Full size Brake Pedal, Seal DLX Floorboards, Freeway Blaster horns, Sylvania Super Bright fender LEDs, Scotchlite 680 Rear & Fender Reflectors, BRP Fog Light Kit, LED Mirror turn signal strips, 2014 RT grille mod. Outlaw Laser Alignment

Spyder Garage

check your battery it sounds to me it has low charge or needs replacing dps is usual to come up because has the highest draw

Spyder Garage

Hi guys. I came back to update my problems about my Spyder.

First, I got the BUDS from website. I tried to update and clear all faults in the module.

So I can fix the 1st problem about "brake failure". Now no more sign in LCD.

But the 2nd still remains. I can't start my engine. "Bad Key" still appears in the Lcd.

And I got the new text on screen, "Check DPS". How can I fix them or start my Spyder? Who ever get these problems before, please help me.

Thank
    Thanks for coming back and giving us an update. First of all, glad to see that you are still working on the problems in spite of the odds against you as far as mechanical backup goes.

The issue with Check DPS does seem to indicate a low or bad battery. The likes to flash warnings when this happens.

The BUDS system you ordered should actually work on your 2008. There was a problem with mail order BUDS not working well because they could not be updated due to BRP restrictions to non-dealers. Hopefully, your system has all the updates for 2008 in it.

Hope you get it running to your satisfaction. The is a great machine.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Thank You Everyone

I come back again to update. Now I got the new key, the ignition switch and the module to fix the "Bad key" problem. There are some error on LCD. I don't clear it yet. Tomorrow I will try it again. I hope I can fix it and ride again.

thank you.
    Ride GS 2008 SE5

Spyder Garage

I come back again to update. Now I got the new key, the ignition switch and the module to fix the "Bad key" problem. There are some error on LCD. I don't clear it yet. Tomorrow I will try it again. I hope I can fix it and ride again.

thank you.
    Best of luck to you . . . I hope you have success . . . I can only imagine the fun of ryding a Spyder in beautiful Thailand!

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)