Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: ok car buffs

Spyder Garage

first let me say i made a mistake on the year my dad was born. he was born in august of 1920 not 1921, now as i said br about the picture of him in a kilt in Scotland, here it is
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    An awful lot of cars were manufactured in 1940 and 1941 before December 7th.

We had a '41 Chevy.

Thanks for adding that info. I wasn't really sure when they stopped civilian manufacture for the duration. But I knew there weren't many made for most of the early '40s.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    first let me say i made a mistake on the year my dad was born. he was born in august of 1920 not 1921, now as i said br about the picture of him in a kilt in Scotland, here it is
    my 2 brothers were both stationed in Scotland during the war and had pictures taken like this, probably at same studio.They are both gone now and I don't know where pictures are

Spyder Garage

Default this what my sister sent me with the picture

So I did a little more research, Dad probably went to Scotland on a weekend leave and the Studio there that all the servicemen went to was "Victory Studio" or also called Royal Studios, 78 Leith Street, Edinburgh. I googled the address, there is a row of very old buildings with stores on ground floor. To know he was there is so cool. The photo is in a folder from this stuido with address.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So I did a little more research, Dad probably went to Scotland on a weekend leave and the Studio there that all the servicemen went to was "Victory Studio" or also called Royal Studios, 78 Leith Street, Edinburgh. I googled the address, there is a row of very old buildings with stores on ground floor. To know he was there is so cool. The photo is in a folder from this stuido with address.

It's fun to "walk" in our parents footsteps, isn't it? My dad's flight crew had a stop-over in Cairo on the way to Indio in WW II. When I told him I was going to Egypt to see the sights he told me about a hotel there where they went to have tea. Our hotel was down the street, so on some free time I went there and took some pics. Of course it's nothing like what he remembered from the '40s, but I had a nice conversation with an elderly Egyptian man who worked in the news stand there, and he told me of his memories from that era.

Thanks for sharing your dad's pics.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

There is unfortunately also a sad side to travels down WWII history lanes, even for some of those who were fortunate to return. My uncle was shot down over Germany Feb 22, 1944 and spent 15 months in a German POW camp. POWs were given notebooks by the YMCA so they would have something to record thoughts and other such stuff in. Here are photos of some of the pages from his book. The first one is a bit humorous, the second one less so. The next three are sad. The pages with extracts from letters from home are especially poignant. Some of our citizens viewed the plight of POWs with sheer ignorance. He used to say they called the beer the Germans gave them, 'airplane beer', drink one and P26!

B41.jpg B45.jpg B49.jpg D27.jpg D28.jpg
    Last edited by IdahoMtnSpyder; 01-28-2015 at 11:29 PM.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

that is cool to read
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

I would agree the cars in the first photo were mid thirties. The second probably 49/50.
    Those looking up WW II service member might try the web site "Foldthree" Even with just a name that is not to common might bring up lots of information. Service nubers, units anything might help. Good luck with your search
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

1939 packard packard twelve, 17 series
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Spyder Garage

me my sister and my dad

I was born in Seattle in 1950 and lived there during most of the '50s. Things looked a little different on my side of the country.

Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC