Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default 1330, The Great Oil Debate!

Let me start by saying that I’m a huge proponent of 100% full synthetic oil.
    Every vehicle, boat, snow blower & lawn mower I own has only bathed it’s innards with 100% full synthetic oil.
    I believe that the extra cost for the oil is justified for the superior protection it offers.
    When I did my first service on my 2014 RTL I used BRP’s XPS full synthetic oil.
    To me, switching from the blended to the full synthetic, the shifting seemed to get a little harsher.
    The first thing I noticed when I went from my 2012 RTL to my new machine was how smooth it shifted.
    I’ve never had any slipping but the shifting to me just seems more noticeable.
    So I'm looking for opinions from anyone that cares to share one, is the full synthetic to lubricious for the gearbox / clutch.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Haven't done my first oil change yet - that's why I'm watching these threads. However, unless I shift at 1500 - 2000 rpm, my transmission is harsher than my 2010 was. I don't think it's the oil.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

there are a lot of oils out there that work for both engines. The shifting diference is in the transmission and engines not so much the oil. I use the blends but never had problems with any oil I used. Good quality and frequent changes keeps things running smoothly. There are more oils than oil companies so many are made by the same company with different names. Just cause a race car painted with oil ads wins dosen't make that oil the best. The more cylinders the better the shifting the more gears the better the shifting. So use quality oils meeting the specs and you will do great...jmo
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I am yet to change the oil in my 2014 RT limited... but when I do.. it will be to FULL SYNTHETIC OIL.. namely Castrol 5W40 full synthetic MOTORCYCLE OIL which has a JASO MA-2 & APi SL rating.. if you notice a SL rating is approved to use according to your owners manual.

available from Amazon..

osm
    Last edited by Orange Spyder Man; 01-27-2015 at 08:35 AM.

Spyder Garage

I have about 6900 miles on synthetic oil (6100 with Mobil 1 10-40 and 800 with BRP full syn) and I have not noticed any harsher shifting.
    I also try to run synthetic in all my bikes and Spyders.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Has anyone run a oil analysis on the full synthetic they have been using? Wondering how it would stack up to the blended.

Spyder Garage

Your best bet is to buy and use the recommended oils specified in the owner's manual. The manual is very specific on what is and isn't appropriate. They do recommend full synthetic oils. I just don't understand why people don't trust what the vehicle manufacturer says.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default COST OF OIL

.....Rotella T - 6 , 5w 40 Full Synthetic $ 21.40 per Gal @ Walmart...........................This oil meets or exceeds all the requirements for use in the 1330 Ace engine ...........so cost is not a factor..Mike .................................................I have been using it with no issues
    Last edited by BLUEKNIGHT911; 01-27-2015 at 03:26 PM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

My owner's book states that BRP's or any other blended oil is a minimum and goes on to say that you can use any synthetic oil with the standards stated. For me that means use fully synthetic.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    Your best bet is to buy and use the recommended oils specified in the owner's manual. The manual is very specific on what is and isn't appropriate. They do recommend full synthetic oils. I just don't understand why people don't trust what the vehicle manufacturer says.
    I don't think it is so much a matter of trust as a matter of looking for something better. But it doesn't help the 'Trust' factor that those who have tested the recommended 'Blended' BRP oil are getting results which indicate that it doesn't hold up for even 6,000 miles much less the 9,000 mile recommended service interval.

Trust is a great thing. But it won't lubricate your engine.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-27-2015 at 08:30 AM.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Spyder Garage

I'm patiently awaiting Doc's oil analysis. I've used full synthetic in my cars for decades and really see no reason to avoid it on my .
    Artillery lends dignity to what would
    otherwise be a vulgar brawl.
    Cognac 2014 RT-S

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Simply because there are better oils available for less money... any other questions ?

osm

Spyder Garage

Having read your post again I may have misunderstood your meaning in my 1st response.

If your point is that the 'Blended vs Full Synthetic' debate should be resolved by the Owner's Manual instructions on this subject, then I agree with you 100% and I apologize for my misunderstanding of your statement.

The manual does make it clear. And it might correct the ridiculous information given to one Spyder rider by his dealer who informed him that BRP recommends AGAINST using a full synthetic oil and that they (as a dealership) will not put a full synthetic oil in a Spyder!

I guess you can't blame a guy for believing what his dealer told him (though I never do without verifiable confirmation). Nor can you blame him for advising others to do the same. Thank you for pointing out that at least this portion of the debate is easily verified and put to rest.

Spyder Garage

Ron, you really did misinterpret my original message. However, I would like to address once again the subject of motor oil testing. These companies are very good at measuring viscosity, lubricity, contamination and chemical breakdown of motor oils. They are not, however, authorities on what lubrication material and schedule is required for a particular engine. It is the engine manufacturer who spends millions to answer that question. It may be worthwhile to measure BRP oil against other brands to see which has better characteristics and maintains these characteristics for longer periods of time. That data doesn't necessarily indicate whether a particular oil is good enough to protect the engine until everything else about the vehicle wears out. The worst of the lot maybe just as good as the best based on that criterion. What else matters other than price?

Spyder Garage

Thanks for weighing in on this on going debate everyone!
    After reading all your comments I feel safe with my decision to stick with my original conclusion that full synthetic is and always will be the way to go!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Very Active Member Roadster Renovations's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by JayBros View Post
    I'm patiently awaiting Doc's oil analysis. I've used full synthetic in my cars for decades and really see no reason to avoid it on my .
    Jay, I posted that in the other thread. Here is the link to view the actual file:
    http://dochumphreys.wix.com/roadster...interest/c1oum

Just scroll down to the file and load.

Spyder Garage

Ron, you really did misinterpret my original message. However, I would like to address once again the subject of motor oil testing. These companies are very good at measuring viscosity, lubricity, contamination and chemical breakdown of motor oils. They are not, however, authorities on what lubrication material and schedule is required for a particular engine. It is the engine manufacturer who spends millions to answer that question. It may be worthwhile to measure BRP oil against other brands to see which has better characteristics and maintains these characteristics for longer periods of time. That data doesn't necessarily indicate whether a particular oil is good enough to protect the engine until everything else about the vehicle wears out. The worst of the lot maybe just as good as the best based on that criterion. What else matters other than price?
    I understand what you're saying. Companies do spend a lot of money on engineering and testing. And you would think that testing the oil samples would simply confirm that the recommended lubricant is holding up just fine.

The problem is that there is unbiased evidence that this may not be the case.

If an oil shears to 1/2 it's rated viscosity, 3,000 miles short of the recommended service interval, why does that not indicate a lubrication issue when it certainly would in any other application.

Are you saying that BRP feels a 20 weight or lower viscosity oil will provide adequate lubrication? I suppose this is possible. But I know of no other internal combustion engine that would tolerate (over time) this much loss in viscosity. I know viscosity is only 1 aspect. But it is a pretty important one. That's why viscosity numbers are so prominently marked on the label. And why there are cries of 'Foul' whenever a manufacturer allows their product to deviate very far from the claimed viscosity.

One of the biggest contributors to the cost of a lubricant is engineering in the ability to maintain its rated viscosity. Maintaining the rated viscosity is one of the most difficult duties of any lubricant. And, one of the most important.

Typically, as the Viscosity numbers go, so go most if not all the other attributes of a lubricant. In other words. You usually get bad numbers across the board or good numbers across the board. The worse the numbers, the more likely you'll start to see evidence of hard parts being worn away.

While I agree that there may be something I am missing. I don't think there is any witch hunt to find a problem that isn't there. So far the numbers seem to be pretty consistent from one test to the next, and they are nothing to write home about, (though I admit, there have been only a few).

Since there are better lubricants available that meet and exceed all the BRP specs. which are producing more favorable test results, it does seem to present a compelling case to me for bumping up the quality of lubricant.

Just my perspective. There are many others. Bottom line, everyone takes their chosen route. As long as it's a discussion and not an argument, we all profit.
    Last edited by BajaRon; 01-28-2015 at 12:06 AM.

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I would like to see some tests on full synthetics to compare. We seem to have a good idea how the BRP blend is holding up.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    I would like to see some tests on full synthetics to compare. We seem to have a good idea how the BRP blend is holding up.

And I believe they are coming...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BajaRon View Post

And I believe they are coming...

I did one at 6100 miles on the oil. Mobil 10-40 Motorcycle oil. Look at my post -1330 oil report phase II

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Thanks, forgot about that one.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    That's some good info, Thanks!
    I'll look forward to see the report on BRP's full synthetic.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Haven't done my first oil change yet - that's why I'm watching these threads. However, unless I shift at 1500 - 2000 rpm, my transmission is harsher than my 2010 was. I don't think it's the oil.
    Had Break in done @ dealers. Like U waiting to do my first one. I agree that the shifting is not as smooth as with the 2010. U'r right it all seems to hinge on the rpms.
    Lrw.

Spyder Garage

Default What Oil you use probably makes little difference

Folks, you need to be using the search feature; I and others been posting lab tests on several oils since 2011. Go back and find them if you want to know.

No oil I've tested has maintained viscosity to a satisfactory level according to the LAB, beyond 4000 miles. One other person reported a good test at 6000 miles on Mobil 1 cycle oil. I've not used that one yet.

Not trying to convince anyone to use any particular oil, or when to change it. Its a personal decision only you can make.

There are a number of folks who run the BRP oil only, and on the '14's, up to 9000 miles. To my knowledge none of these have been lab tested.

I've about come to the conclusion that if you change
    oil at 3000 miles it makes NO DIFFERENCE whether you use
    mineral or synthetic as long as its motorcycle rated and of reasonable viscosity.

Having said that, I tend to feel better using a synthetic, changing the 1330 motor at 4000, filter every other oil change.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)