Hybrid View

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    On my F3 with the Blue Ridge shield, I look over it - easily. I am 5'7". To look through it, I need to be bent over and almost laying on the gas tank.

The front of the F3 has a very different angle/rake, so an equivalent height shield ( from another Spyder ) will be lower/shorter, from the riders position. It is also my impression that you are farther away from the shield. My dealer brought out the Blue Ridge and the 'standard short' shield and held them up in front of me while I sat on the F3, I was sure the Blue Ridge would be perfect - it looked big. But, once attached, that angle/rake made it a lot lower.

I have no way of measuring it, but the air/envelope surrounding the rider does seem to be significantly more stable than what I experienced on my ST-S - so, for most of my body, there is significantly less 'buffeting' and turbulence. There is a lot less 'noise' in your head if you wear in-ear headphones ( and no helmet ), even with the majority of your head above the shield's top.

As shown in CJ's post above this, there is distortion, but I think the photographs 'exaggerate' it - we humans, see through it just fine. At least I do.

For running around town, country roads ( speeds under 55mph ), I think the Blue Ridge is great. Even short expressway hops at speeds 65mph plus it works fine. While I am not a Touring Rider, out here in New Mexico, we have a lot of space between things ( and big bugs ), so I am looking for something that gives protection for those type of rides.

Tom
    Tom is right about the photo appearing to show more distortion than there is. If you look at the spot about 1" down you will see a small line of distortion. Everything below that is just camera angle effect. He is also correct about looking over the windscreen when ryding. As I mentioned the top distortion line is only evident at a spot 10' in front of the bike for me at 5' 10"

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Copperman!

Went down to see it today. Comments in another thread ("Sat on an F3 Today")
    Loved it!
    Can't wait for mine to arrive.
    F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default YEP ITS NOISY BEHIND THE 66

The wind noise behind the Blue Ridge is incredible, but when you lean down on the gas tank, it is so quiet.
    If I had to do it again, "which I am going to have to, to reduce the turbulence," I would wait for a taller windshield. I'm 5'11".
    Last edited by doctorlbug; 02-05-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Brackets Or Lip

I'm thinking the Blue Ridge might benefit from and adjustable bracket like the one from Mastad. Another solution might be by adding a Laminar Lip to the top of the Blue Ridge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    I'm thinking the Blue Ridge might benefit from and adjustable bracket like the one from Mastad. Another solution might be by adding a Laminar Lip to the top of the Blue Ridge.
    This will more than likely be my solution.. If I think the Blue Ridge is a good all around W/S I will tint it then add a Laminar Lip for long rides for the wifey... The experience I've had with them on various motorcycles has been great...

Spyder Garage

Default low

Quote Originally Posted by Mike,P View Post
    This will more than likely be my solution.. If I think the Blue Ridge is a good all around W/S I will tint it then add a Laminar Lip for long rides for the wifey... The experience I've had with them on various motorcycles has been great...
    The Blue Ridge is very low. What distortion I saw was right the the "flip" on the top. I'm six two and on the freeway the turbulence hit me below the neck. I went to a 32" F4 and it works just fine. With the F4, at any speed lower than seventy, I don't even need my helmet face plate down. The Blue Ridge is stylish, but fails as a windshield. As far as I'm concerned it's nothing but an expensive fashion accessory.
    Last edited by CA Railwhale; 07-21-2017 at 01:36 PM.