Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Blue Ridge Height

Has anyone sat on an F3 with the Blue Ridge windshield installed?
    In the BRP video, they say you will be "looking through it, not over it." Is this true? All of the pics I've seen so far (admittedly not optimal for answering this question) appear to have the driver's entire head over the windshield. (Too bad the Route 66 was discontinued before it ever got started.)
    Anybody seen it in person and viewed it from the driver's seat? Just curious...
    If it's too low, I'll be encouraging after-market windshield makers to fire up their design teams.
    F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Was at the International Motorcycle Show in Dallas yesterday and Can Am had an F3S with the "Touring Escape Package". I think it had the Blue Ridge windshield, though I can't say for sure. I'm 6' tall and felt that I would primarily look over the windshield. After riding the demo in December without any kind of windshield, I did think that this particular windshield would be tall enough for me. I would like to compare it to the taller windshield, though, before I make a final decision on which one to get.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1422231026.319642.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    - Carl

2017 Can Am F3-L (current ryde)
    2015 Can Am F3-S (previous ryde)
    2012 BMW K1600 (previous ride)
    2016 Can Am F3-T (wife's)

Spyder Garage

Default OVER

IF YOU ARE TALLER THAN 5ft 2in. YOU WILL BE LOOKING OVER IT.....
    and YES, i ordered mine with the ROUTE 66, and was told a week later that this windshield was discontinued...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 01-25-2015 at 08:19 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Route 66 windshield

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    IF YOU ARE TOLLER THAN 5ft 2in. YOU WILL BE LOOKING OVER IT.....
    and YES, i ordered mine with the ROUTE 66, and was told a week later that this windshield was discontinued...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    My STL 2014 had Route 66 winshield, we all complained about distortion.
    Can-an was planning to use it , but because of all complains and they even change it to some customers at no cost. that is why it was discontinued.
    Pone of Girls on Spyders picked up her bike and she said with blue ridge, if you look through it, it is distorted. You have to look over it.

F3S - 2015 magnesium (BR windshield, heated grip, USB, extra 12 V, Zumo 590), backrest, saddlebags, floorboards. Laser alignment.
    ST Limited 2014
    Bajaron Sway-bar
    laser alignmet

Spyder Garage

Default info

Quote Originally Posted by Souzan Druy View Post
    My STL 2014 had Route 66 winshield, we all complained about distortion.
    Can-an was planning to use it , but because of all complains and they even change it to some customers at no cost. that is why it was discontinued.
    Pone of Girls on Spyders picked up her bike and she said with blue ridge, if you look through it, it is distorted. You have to look over it.
    good info, thx...

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default F-3 WINDSHIELD QUANDRY

JMHO, since I don't have an F-3 this is only a guess .....but I'm sure something from MADSTADT could work .............it will just take someone daring to try it .............I'm surprised Madstadt hasn't looked at it yet......or maybe they are .........Mike

Spyder Garage

The distortion at the top of the Blue Ridge is minor and for me at 5' 10" it only comes into play 10' out from the nose of the bike (laid a tape on the ground to see). Since there are few options at this time I would say I am happy with the purchase. As for aftermarket I have been sending pictures and video to a vendor so they can start coming up with ideas. Using the existing mounts the manufacturing would be challenging with the depressions molded in to recess the covers. There are some very creative vendors out there so we will have to see what they come up with.

CJ JAX
    Attached Images Attached Images

Spyder Garage

Default I look over it.

On my F3 with the Blue Ridge shield, I look over it - easily. I am 5'7". To look through it, I need to be bent over and almost laying on the gas tank.

The front of the F3 has a very different angle/rake, so an equivalent height shield ( from another Spyder ) will be lower/shorter, from the riders position. It is also my impression that you are farther away from the shield. My dealer brought out the Blue Ridge and the 'standard short' shield and held them up in front of me while I sat on the F3, I was sure the Blue Ridge would be perfect - it looked big. But, once attached, that angle/rake made it a lot lower.

I have no way of measuring it, but the air/envelope surrounding the rider does seem to be significantly more stable than what I experienced on my ST-S - so, for most of my body, there is significantly less 'buffeting' and turbulence. There is a lot less 'noise' in your head if you wear in-ear headphones ( and no helmet ), even with the majority of your head above the shield's top.

As shown in CJ's post above this, there is distortion, but I think the photographs 'exaggerate' it - we humans, see through it just fine. At least I do.

For running around town, country roads ( speeds under 55mph ), I think the Blue Ridge is great. Even short expressway hops at speeds 65mph plus it works fine. While I am not a Touring Rider, out here in New Mexico, we have a lot of space between things ( and big bugs ), so I am looking for something that gives protection for those type of rides.

Tom
    2008 GS SE5 -> 2013 STS SE5 -> 2015 F3-S SE6 . . . Still riding & smiling.

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Richard...

I was at Flatout yesterday (E Washington St) and they have an F3 S on display. No windshield, though. It's very nice and looks much nicer in person than in pictures.

Just FYI.
    2020 Chalk, RT Limited, Dark and matching RT622 trailer and BRP hitch. BRP Drivers Backrest, Auxiliary Light, Garmin Zumo XT, GPS Support, RT Rear Panel and Travel Cover. Spyderpops LEDs on fenders, mirrors, saddlebags, top case and RT rear panel. Spyderpops Rock Guard. BajaRon Swaybar, Wolo Bad Boy horn, Freedom Windshield, Elka Shocks.
    2020 RT Limited , Chalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    On my F3 with the Blue Ridge shield, I look over it - easily. I am 5'7". To look through it, I need to be bent over and almost laying on the gas tank.

The front of the F3 has a very different angle/rake, so an equivalent height shield ( from another Spyder ) will be lower/shorter, from the riders position. It is also my impression that you are farther away from the shield. My dealer brought out the Blue Ridge and the 'standard short' shield and held them up in front of me while I sat on the F3, I was sure the Blue Ridge would be perfect - it looked big. But, once attached, that angle/rake made it a lot lower.

I have no way of measuring it, but the air/envelope surrounding the rider does seem to be significantly more stable than what I experienced on my ST-S - so, for most of my body, there is significantly less 'buffeting' and turbulence. There is a lot less 'noise' in your head if you wear in-ear headphones ( and no helmet ), even with the majority of your head above the shield's top.

As shown in CJ's post above this, there is distortion, but I think the photographs 'exaggerate' it - we humans, see through it just fine. At least I do.

For running around town, country roads ( speeds under 55mph ), I think the Blue Ridge is great. Even short expressway hops at speeds 65mph plus it works fine. While I am not a Touring Rider, out here in New Mexico, we have a lot of space between things ( and big bugs ), so I am looking for something that gives protection for those type of rides.

Tom
    Tom is right about the photo appearing to show more distortion than there is. If you look at the spot about 1" down you will see a small line of distortion. Everything below that is just camera angle effect. He is also correct about looking over the windscreen when ryding. As I mentioned the top distortion line is only evident at a spot 10' in front of the bike for me at 5' 10"

CJ JAX

Spyder Garage

Default Hey Copperman!

Went down to see it today. Comments in another thread ("Sat on an F3 Today")
    Loved it!
    Can't wait for mine to arrive.
    F3S Steel Black Metallic
    Former owner of '12 RT-S SE-5 and '09 GS SM5

Spyder Garage

Default YEP ITS NOISY BEHIND THE 66

The wind noise behind the Blue Ridge is incredible, but when you lean down on the gas tank, it is so quiet.
    If I had to do it again, "which I am going to have to, to reduce the turbulence," I would wait for a taller windshield. I'm 5'11".
    Last edited by doctorlbug; 02-05-2015 at 09:01 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default Brackets Or Lip

I'm thinking the Blue Ridge might benefit from and adjustable bracket like the one from Mastad. Another solution might be by adding a Laminar Lip to the top of the Blue Ridge.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Slagiatt View Post
    In the BRP video, they say you will be "looking through it, not over it." Is this true? All of the pics I've seen so far (admittedly not optimal for answering this question) appear to have the driver's entire head over the windshield. (Too bad the Route 66 was discontinued before it ever got started.)
    If it's too low, I'll be encouraging after-market windshield makers to fire up their design teams.
    I wonder why the R & D people at BRP didn't come up with the proper windshield to begin with???????????
    THE BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default Cheaper for Them not Us

I think the BRP marketing gurus and the bean counters got together and decided to re-purpose the windshields from the ST to fit the F3. The Route 66 which would've been taller was a disaster and they took it off the market. That just left us with the Blue Ridge and nothing taller or wider.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by den1953 View Post
    I'm thinking the Blue Ridge might benefit from and adjustable bracket like the one from Mastad. Another solution might be by adding a Laminar Lip to the top of the Blue Ridge.
    This will more than likely be my solution.. If I think the Blue Ridge is a good all around W/S I will tint it then add a Laminar Lip for long rides for the wifey... The experience I've had with them on various motorcycles has been great...

Spyder Garage

Cool Looking over

I have the Blue Ridge windshield on my F3S. I am 5'9" and in the cruiser seating, slouch a little bit. I am looking completely over the windshield, thank God. If I were looking through the windshield, the distortion would run me nuts and give me a headache. I believe they discontinued the Rt. 66 shield for that very reason, the distortion. I really didn't think BRP could make a windshield with more distort than the ST shield, but they managed to do it again. The Blue Ridge does do a great job keeping the wind off the torso. Except for the distortion, I love it. I will be purchasing a CalSci windshield as soon as it is available.

Spyder Garage

Default Here are the Blue Ridge shield measurements . . . .

. . . . . 30" to the lip of the shield, 19" up from the seat ( crotch area ).

Note:

• The angle of this Spyder distorts the height & length lines, but the inches are correct.
    • For me, the crotch area is the 2nd band back on the seat. The seat does continue to slope down the further back you go.
    • Remember, the air/wind will not be coming back in a straight line, it will be pushed up and curved.

I hope this helps, but you really have to sit/ride on one to get your personal feel and fit.

Tom

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

tom... thanks for posting these measurements.. i'm planning to sit on an f-3 for the first time soon... i only want to buy one windshield, so i will use these as a guide...
    Quote Originally Posted by Tom in NM View Post
    . . . . . 30" to the lip of the shield, 19" up from the seat ( crotch area ).

Note:

• The angle of this Spyder distorts the height & length lines, but the inches are correct.
    • For me, the crotch area is the 2nd band back on the seat. The seat does continue to slope down the further back you go.
    • Remember, the air/wind will not be coming back in a straight line, it will be pushed up and curved.

I hope this helps, but you really have to sit/ride on one to get your personal feel and fit.

Tom

Spyder Garage

I have the Blue Ridge on my F3 and I am 5'7".
    I love it!
    May all your encounters with the law begin with the words: "nice trike!".[/B]
    2015 Can-Am Spyder F3-S SM-6 Can-am Red/Black SM-6 with 2010 Black RT-622 trailer (hitch in the works).

Previously owned:
    2010 Can-Am Spyder RT SM-5
    2011 Can-Am Spyder RS-S SM-5
    2013 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SM-5

Spyder Garage

Default blue ridge windshield

Im 5' 9" and look over the top completely. The windstream hits my upper shoulders, neck and head. It's way better than nothing and looks good. I'll be getting a taller one for winter riding, freeway riding.

Ron

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Blue Ridge on F3S

I have the Blue Ridge on my F3S & I added a MRA Xcreen clamp on extension. It's very adjustable & is approx. 4"ht x 10" wide. It depends how far ahead your looking as to whether or not you look thru the windshield & extension which is fairly effective in diverting majority of 'buffeting' wind.
    If I measure from flat area in front of instrument cluster the B/R is 14" in height. Remember, your sitting back further & lower than other Spyders!
    I'm 6'-4" & this set up works for me....Would I have preferred the taller RT 66 = absolutely- but not if it allowed too much distortion.

Spyder Garage

Default Windshield on F3

I installed the blue ridge on my F3 this past week . I'm 5 10 and it's way to short,my entire head is exposed to the elements.
    i went back to the dealer to see if there was a taller one,.......none.
    will need to wait for the after market guys to come up with one.
    it was a bummer when I went for a ride.i even got the bar to move the u fit to # 5 thinking it would put me a little lower in the seat.....not.
    all in all,I'll live with it for now because the bike is awesome and it midigates the wind issue.
    gene T

Spyder Garage

Default That is interesting . . .

Quote Originally Posted by DB Dan View Post
    I have the Blue Ridge on my F3S & I added a MRA Xcreen clamp on extension. It's very adjustable & is approx. 4"ht x 10" wide. It depends how far ahead your looking as to whether or not you look thru the windshield & extension which is fairly effective in diverting majority of 'buffeting' wind.
    If I measure from flat area in front of instrument cluster the B/R is 14" in height. Remember, your sitting back further & lower than other Spyders!
    I'm 6'-4" & this set up works for me....Would I have preferred the taller RT 66 = absolutely- but not if it allowed too much distortion.

. . . . I would have ordered it on the spot if it sat behind the B/R. The MRA Xcreen looks like a good option. I just need to think about it a little. Thanks for posting about it.

I have been looking at another solution and I may put risers on the B/R. It looks like the shield anchor (up front hardware) might pivot. If it does, I will fabricate some blocks to raise the back of the shield up. It should only take some risers and longer bolts. I will have to play with it - it may not raise up enough to make a difference, the whole shield may have an ugly angle, or it may not have clearance in the front to pivot or pivot at all.

In the meantime, I have actually started to like the exposure - but I don't think I will once the bugs show up.

Tom

Spyder Garage

Have the BR on my F3 and it works quite well, even on the freeway, no wind hitting my bell Sena setup with communication. I guess I am the only one with a perfectly clear shield. We have another F3 coming in next week which will also have the BR installed.

Another Day To Be My Kid's Dad [emoji379]
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad