Spyder Garage

Default 12 volt battery question

Please explain to me the difference between a 4500 mah Battery & a 9800 mah Battery

I am sure the higher number is better but in what way, initial power? length of time power is available?

This is not on my spyder but may be used for powering LED's

Thanks

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

And the answer is length of time power is available. IF you go on the West Marine website they have some good information on how to convert the ampere hours to help calculate how big of battery you will need.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    And the answer is length of time power is available. IF you go on the West Marine website they have some good information on how to convert the ampere hours to help calculate how big of battery you will need.

Thanks Chuck but I was not able to get any answers from West Marine, not even sure i had the correct website, the two that i looked at had no info that i could find.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The mAH specification means how long a battery will provide usable output. mAH is an abbreviation for mili Amp Hour or 1/1000 of an Ampere for 1 Hour....So the larger number will provide a given power output for a longer time OR a more powerful output for the same amount of time.

Clear as mud?
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ursamajor35126 View Post
    The mAH specification means how long a battery will provide usable output. mAH is an abbreviation for mili Amp Hour or 1/1000 of an Ampere for 1 Hour....So the larger number will provide a given power output for a longer time OR a more powerful output for the same amount of time.

Clear as mud?

That was what i needed to know, thank you.

Cruzr Joe

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Think of the higher number as a higher capicity gas tank.
    Dean O
    Gran Pa Hoon
    Founder San Jose BMW
    Builder of the Motorcyclist Cafe Barn and Bunkhouse
    Alamogordo, NM

'20 Spyder F3 L

Spyder Garage

This is what I used when I worked on battery powered equipment to determine the correct battery rating for that application. One of the best sites for conversion tables is digikey.com. As an example: your 4500 mAh battery will last about 26 hours at 120 mA consumption constant draw. The 9800 mAh will last about 56 hours. There are other factors involved but this gives you an idea.

Generally, battery life is calculated based on the current rating in milli Ampere per Hour and it is abbreviated as mAh. Ampere is an electrical unit used to measure the current flow towards the load. The battery life or capacity can be calculated from the input current rating of the battery and the load current of the circuit. Battery life will be high when the load current is less and vice versa. The calculation to find out the capacity of battery can be mathematically derived from the following formula:

Battery Life = Battery Capacity in Milli amps per hour / Load Current in Mill amps * 0.70

Battery Capacity (mAh) Device Consumption (mA)
    ÷ × 0.7*
    Estimated Hours
    *The factor of 0.7 makes allowances for external factors which can affect battery life.
    Last edited by bruiser; 01-24-2015 at 10:58 AM.

USAF '69-'89 E7
    Thailand/Vietnam 1972
    Member: Royal Order of Rat Bastards

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default DEEP CYCLE BATTERY

Make sure you purchase a deep cycle RV/marine battery as they are made to be discharged without damaging them unlike an starting battery that is made for short bursts of power that will immediately be recharged by the alternator. good luck with your project Joe let us know how it turns out

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    Please explain to me the difference between a 4500 mah Battery & a 9800 mah Battery

Cruzr Joe
    The difference is 5300 mah.

( Never mind. Carry on. )
    NEW - 2015 RT Limited SE6 Intense Red Pearl - 07/21/15
    Retained the old mirrors with TricLed Signals
    General Altimax RT43 rear tire (at...17,000 miles) Ran for 36,500 miles
    Michelin Defender.......rear tire (at...53,500 miles) Ran for 60,700 miles
    Riken Raptor HR.........rear tire (at 114,200 miles)
    Vredestein Quatrac 5 front tires (at 70,500 miles, first new fronts!)
    Gear Brake Decelerometer Module

OLD - 2012 RT Limited SE5 Pearl White - 01/31/13 - Traded in at 32,600 miles.
    BajaRon Anti-sway Bar
    Kumho ECSTA AST rear tire (at 14,200 miles)
    TricLed Turn Signals in Mirrors
    2015 Limited , Intense Red Pearl

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Hey Joe...
    I guess that the ban on you discussing electrical questions has officially been lifted??

2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black