Spyder Garage

Default Cheap Belt Guard 2011 RSS

Reading about the gravel issue and even though I bought a spare belt, I decided to make my own. I have a plastics place here and the sell scraps. I picked up a 1/8" polycarinate (sp) and the guy even bent it for me. I took off the outer belt guard and I ground off the lip at the bottom, so my guard was about 3/8" below the outer guard. You can't take off the outer guard with the inter guard attached, because there isn't room at the front. I used clip nuts. If you can find clip nuts for the 2 rear bolts, I'd do it, they are a pain.
    Attached Images Attached Images

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Default Awesome !

Dude, that is an excellent idea. It's simple, effective, and inexpensive. Wonderful combination. Thank you for sharing with "us".

Spyder Garage

Default OK

OK, SO WHERE WERE YOU 3 WEEKS AGO WHEN MINE GOT TRASHED.....??????
    GREAT IDEA... START MAKING THESE AND SELL THEM TO US GUYS/GALS....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Reading about the gravel issue and even though I bought a spare belt, I decided to make my own. I have a plastics place here and the sell scraps. I picked up a 1/8" polycarinate (sp) and the guy even bent it for me. I took off the outer belt guard and I ground off the lip at the bottom, so my guard was about 3/8" below the outer guard. You can't take off the outer guard with the inter guard attached, because there isn't room at the front. I used clip nuts. If you can find clip nuts for the 2 rear bolts, I'd do it, they are a pain.

This may sound crazy but is your belt on inside out??

Mine has the splines inside and a smooth side outside!!

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Ruffles have ridges...

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    This may sound crazy but is your belt on inside out??

Mine has the splines inside and a smooth side outside!!

Cruzr Joe
    The smooth side of the belt has little ridges but the big drive teeth are on the correct side. You can see them on the second picture...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SPYD3R View Post
    OK, SO WHERE WERE YOU 3 WEEKS AGO WHEN MINE GOT TRASHED.....??????
    GREAT IDEA... START MAKING THESE AND SELL THEM TO US GUYS/GALS....
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    How did yours get trashed? Was it the Spyderpops one? I'm to lazy to make and sell them, I didn't patent it, so anyone could copy it.

I wouldn't want to mess with Spyderpops either, I'm just frugal/cheap.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    The smooth side of the belt has little ridges but the big drive teeth are on the correct side. You can see them on the second picture...

OK Chupaca, i see it now, thanks

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Not to pee on the parade, but it looks like you have created a tray to collect debris.

Looking at at your third picture, it appears you took it from in front of your guard, looking toward the rear of the Spyder. Correct?

assuming you did, the rotation of the tire in a forward direction is over the top and rotating down toward your guard. Therefore, any debris caught on the tire will be dropped onto the belt from above. That is why the SpyderPops guard covers the belt at the top and is open at the bottom. Yours appears to be the opposite - open at the top and closed at the bottom.

In in my opinion, you have created a rock trap with your design. Unless I am looking at the photos wrong...

Spyder Garage

Silly me, you are probably right. I was thinking of gravel being thrown up from the front wheels and deflected by the side pieces.
    Something on the back tire should come down beside the guard, not onto it. But if I can fix it simply, I'll do it.

Back to the drawing board tomorrow. I think that I can just flip it, maybe have to drill new holes. Will keep you posted.

Well, I took a closer look at my setup. The side that is closest to the tire is high enough and about an inch from the tire that I don't think that anything could land on the belt that was picked up by the tire. There is also about an 1/2" clearance on each side of the belt, if there was something that got on the belt there is room for it to fall away. There is also about 6" between the guard and the sprocket where it should bounce off.

Of course time will tell.
    Last edited by pitzerwm; 01-24-2015 at 05:17 AM.

Spyder Garage

Default TRASHED

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    How did yours get trashed? Was it the Spyderpops one? I'm to lazy to make and sell them, I didn't patent it, so anyone could copy it.

I wouldn't want to mess with Spyderpops either, I'm just frugal/cheap.
    HOW? YOU ASK.....
    Well i has travelling west on Rt. 183 @ about 50 mph, and about 100 ft behind a car.... with the car in front of me, i couldn't see what was lying in the road ahead... a utility truck must have dropped a part of his load of newly crushed stone onto the road... when the car passed over it, i saw it, but it was too late to brake and with a ditch on my right and on coming traffic on my left, i had no choice but to continue forward.... CLINK, CLANK, CLUNK was all i heard from under my SPYD3R.... those sharp little stones just chewed up my belt... luckily, my sprockets weren't damage and nothing else on my ride either... just the belt and my wallet...
    your BELT GUARD would have protected my belt, i am certain of that...
    however, a great young man by the name of Jed came to the rescue with a FREE belt... all i had to pay for was the labor to have it changed out...
    Dan P
    SPYD3R
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 01-24-2015 at 08:37 AM.