Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default SPYDER RT LTD Insurance

Hi 'Everyone",
    I just got shocked to know that insurance for my 2015 RT LTD was doubled to that of my 2012 BMW K1600GTL. I was paying approx. $987 (100/300, Stacked, $500 deductible, full coverage) with Progressive. My new quote for the same coverage is $1,940 for the Cam-Am.

I live in the central Florida. Want to know if anyone out there is paying the same? Open to suggestions.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arecibo50 View Post
    Hi 'Everyone",
    I just got shocked to know that insurance for my 2015 RT LTD was doubled to that of my 2012 BMW K1600GTL. I was paying approx. $987 (100/300, Stacked, $500 deductible, full coverage) with Progressive. My new quote for the same coverage is $1,940 for the Cam-Am.

I live in the central Florida. Want to know if anyone out there is paying the same? Open to suggestions.
    Try around, i only have liability and comp on my 08, no collision and only pay 350 a year. your at 161 a month. On my FZ6R site they recommended i think Ryder but they are not here in CA only the east side.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There's no way to accurately compare your policy to anyone else's; you need to ask your Independent Agent to shop you policy around for you, and see what they find...
    Good luck!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I am noting that you are from FL. A high insurance premium state for sure. As Bob said, hard to compare apples to apples with insurance rates though, because everything is taken into account.

$161 per month sounds like a lot--since it was double from your BMW 1600--which is also a high dollar machine.

I pay $49 a month for full coverage on my 2014 RTS. State Farm insures my home, both 's, and my car. All vehicles have full coverage. I have a good driving record and have been with the company since 1965. YOUR RESULTS/EXPERIENCE MAY VARY.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

First, your agent classified the Sypder as a "classic trike" - it isn't. Shop around, & find a company that knows what they are insuring. My insurance is high out here at $385/year.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I had Progressive on my 2005 GoldWing... after I sold it... I bought a 2014 Spyder RT limited... I too was shocked how much Progressive wanted to insure my Spyder.... I shopped around.... Geico was less than HALF the price of Progressive for the exact same coverage... I suggest calling Geico..

osm

Spyder Garage

I had Progressive on my Gold Wing also but when I traded It for my new 2013 RTS-SE5 they wanted over twice as much for the around $ 550.00 a year, I shopped around and got Rider Insurance for $333.00 a year for full coverage..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Hi 'Everyone",

Try foremost insurance is my best deal in FL. I had progressive.

Spyder Garage

Hi 'Everyone",

As everyone has pointed out there are too many variables to compare rates... Age of rider(s), driving record, other policies held, geographical area, etc. That said some companies don't understand that a Spyder is not a motorcycle and set pricing off the wall.

we have two RT's and just received our renewal notice for the next year from Allstate.......$553 for both machines full coverage including trailers. (100/300..$250 ded.)

We're in good hands.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Better rate

I have full coverage with 1500 deducts for comp and collision and pay just over $300 (per year) with progressive.

Spyder Garage

Default Me Too

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    I had Progressive on my Gold Wing also but when I traded It for my new 2013 RTS-SE5 they wanted over twice as much for the around $ 550.00 a year, I shopped around and got Rider Insurance for $333.00 a year for full coverage..

I too had Progressive on my 2011 RT and when I got my 14 Rt back in the spring i got the same sticker shock when I called to put my coverage on the new bike. The person asked me if they should change the coverage to the new bike after I had a melt down on the price they quoted me, told them to do what they want but i would be canceling my policy before I would receive the bill. Well, the very next day I got the same coverage with Rider Insurance. ....... I guess Progressive needs to pay big bucks for Flo.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PaSpyderRyder View Post
    I too had Progressive on my 2011 RT and when I got my 14 Rt back in the spring i got the same sticker shock when I called to put my coverage on the new bike. The person asked me if they should change the coverage to the new bike after I had a melt down on the price they quoted me, told them to do what they want but i would be canceling my policy before I would receive the bill. Well, the very next day I got the same coverage with Rider Insurance. ....... I guess Progressive needs to pay big bucks for Flo.

She gets $500K a year for her efforts.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I was paying Dairyland $600 and something for my 2012 BMW 1600 GTL. The dealer got a quote from State Farm of around $800 for the new 2014 Spyder RT Limited. I went online with GEICO and got coverage for around $650.

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default I'd still call them

Quote Originally Posted by Professor View Post
    I was paying Dairyland $600 and something for my 2012 BMW 1600 GTL. The dealer got a quote from State Farm of around $800 for the new 2014 Spyder RT Limited. I went online with GEICO and got coverage for around $650.
    I have Dairyland Full coverage and I pay $ 249 12 mos. any mileage ..................It cost nothing for a quote !!!!!...........Mike

Spyder Garage

I have National General, 1-888-293-5108. Used to be GMAC Ins. Been with them for several years. Lowest I have found and they know what a Spyder is.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

i have geico here in new york and pay 1800 for my 14 rt ltd
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    Move to Texas! To be accurate, I may have misquoted the cost. My wife said we are paying either $52 or $62 per month (I'm too lazy to look it up right now) so at most it may be around $720. Still way better than $1800. And I live in Dallas county which has higher rates than many other Texas counties.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by BLUEKNIGHT911 View Post
    I have Dairyland Full coverage and I pay $ 249 12 mos. any mileage ..................It cost nothing for a quote !!!!!...........Mike
    Does your full coverage include Uninsured Motorist? If I'm remembering correctly, the GEICO quote was three hundred and something till I added the Uninsured Motorist and that pretty much doubled the premium.

When I bought the Spyder, I couldn't get in touch with my Dairyland agent and I needed to get it insured, so I went with GEICO. After seeing your post, I will definitely be getting a quote from Dairyland and a couple of the other companies suggested here.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the comment..

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I had Progressive on my 2005 GoldWing... after I sold it... I bought a 2014 Spyder RT limited... I too was shocked how much Progressive wanted to insure my Spyder.... I shopped around.... Geico was less than HALF the price of Progressive for the exact same coverage... I suggest calling Geico..

osm
    Thanks I thought it was just me, in this state. Geico is going to be my next call, then maybe ARRP?

Spyder Garage

My son-in-law was insured with Progressive and received a shocker at premium renewal time - $300 increase. His independent agent hooked him up with Foremost.

Spyder Garage

Default Those were the days...Thanks..

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    I remember those days. I was paying that much for my 2005 BMW K1200LT that I rode almost everyday to work across the Cross Bx. expressway & down the West side highway to Times Sq. Great in the am before 6am(25 mins) but a disaster at 5pm(60-90 mins stop & go)...

I grew up in the Bronx....still a Yankee fan....& I bet your a Met fan? Stay warm...

Spyder Garage

Default thanks...

Quote Originally Posted by gnirtsnod View Post
    My son-in-law was insured with Progressive and received a shocker at premium renewal time - $300 increase. His independent agent hooked him up with Foremost.
    I was shocked given that Progressive advertises that they insure all the great toys. Aha I do have Foremost insurance on a travel trailer, didn't even think of them, thanks....

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the response...

Does your full coverage include Uninsured Motorist? If I'm remembering correctly, the GEICO quote was three hundred and something till I added the Uninsured Motorist and that pretty much doubled the premium.

When I bought the Spyder, I couldn't get in touch with my Dairyland agent and I needed to get it insured, so I went with GEICO. After seeing your post, I will definitely be getting a quote from Dairyland and a couple of the other companies suggested here.
    Yes I do have "UNINSURED MOTORIST", especially down here in Florida where one can get insurance coverage of only $12k & motorcycles are not required to carry insurance. Crazy as it seems. I've carry 100/300 on my vehicles since fancy cars like the Mercedes, BMW & Audi's are expensive & Parts & labor rates are so high,(don't want to hit any of those) so I carry a high amount of coverage, just in case.

I've received some great comments most that I had not thought of, this is so great. Thanks again & it pays to shop around. Lots of luck.

Spyder Garage

Cool Thanks...

Move to Texas! To be accurate, I may have misquoted the cost. My wife said we are paying either $52 or $62 per month (I'm too lazy to look it up right now) so at most it may be around $720. Still way better than $1800. And I live in Dallas county which has higher rates than many other Texas counties.
    Yeap....Still much, much cheaper....It's way too hot by you....I'd need to find an enclosure & add a/c....lol
    Thanks for the comment....stay kool....

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks for the number...

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    I have National General, 1-888-293-5108. Used to be GMAC Ins. Been with them for several years. Lowest I have found and they know what a Spyder is.
    I believe, as another has suggested, that Progressive may be classifying the SPYDER as a "classic trike" or an ATV since at the time that I called I was told that they did NOT have a "classification" for the 2015 SYPYDER, weird since they advertise so much about insuring all the toys....Thanks again.