Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Skagway

Skagway is where the 1898 Klondike gold rush met the last gasp of the Wild West and where Alaska’s modern history began. After gold was found near Dawson City, Yukon Territory, miners disembarked on Skagway’s dock for the tough cross-country trek. Almost overnight, Skagway went from wilderness to a city of saloons and brothels. Arguments were settled with guns and the absence of sanitation caused epidemics, so the cemetery grew fast. The rush lasted less than two years, after which Skagway became an ordinary town, but with a notorious past.

Stampeders faced their greatest hardships on the Chilkoot Trail out of Dyea and the White Pass Trail out of Skagway. There were murders and suicides, disease and malnutrition, and death from hypothermia, avalanche, and, some said heartbreak. The Chilkoot was the toughest on men because pack animals could not be used easily on the steep slopes leading to the pass. Until tramways were built late in 1897 and early 1898, the stampeders had to carry everything on their backs. The White Pass Trail was the animal-killer, as anxious prospectors overloaded and beat their pack animals and forced them over the rocky terrain until they dropped. More than 3,000 animals died on this trail; many of their bones still lie at the bottom on Dead Horse Gulch.

It’s history is presented well in the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park ( http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm) which encompasses a 7-block corridor in the city.

Klondike Highway 2 connects Skagway with Whitehorse, YT, 100 miles away over the White Pass, a route with views as good as those on the excursion train which operates over the pass (http://wpyr.com/excursions/train-exc...mit-excursion/).

Here’s more links about things to do in Skagway:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ay_Alaska.html

https://www.travelalaska.com/Destinations/Communities/Skagway.aspx
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 01-23-2015 at 04:08 PM. Reason: typos
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Break downs

I live in Idaho and have been traveling on 2 wheels for more than 40 years many of my trips were on dirt roads and now due to health I have been considering a Spyder F3, however after reading all these thread's about needing a truck for break downs, do Spyder breakdown that much? I sure hope not as the Spyder was my hope of getting back in the saddle.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaspeed View Post
    I live in Idaho and have been traveling on 2 wheels for more than 40 years many of my trips were on dirt roads and now due to health I have been considering a Spyder F3, however after reading all these thread's about needing a truck for break downs, do Spyder breakdown that much? I sure hope not as the Spyder was my hope of getting back in the saddle.
    No they do NOT break down. But we're planning to ride from Washington to Alaska on some really remote routes with scant services - let alone finding someone who knows anything about working on Spyders. Having some parts and tools for contingencies could mean the difference between spending all your vacation in some Yukon village and rejoining the group on the way home, or getting all the way to Anchorage and enjoying as much as you can pack into the time you have there.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I'm glad to hear they don't break down and I do understand your point for the truck and wasted vacation time, it's just that I have made many trips taking weeks at a time without breakdowns and no support vehicles however I do understand it doesn't hurt anything to be prepared . I have read so many thread's about problems with Spyders that this one started to make me second guess my purchasing of one. Your trip to Alaska sounds awesome and you will enjoy the beautiful state that Alaska is and Idaho isn't bad either.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Grandpaspeed View Post
    I'm glad to hear they don't break down and I do understand your point for the truck and wasted vacation time, it's just that I have made many trips taking weeks at a time without breakdowns and no support vehicles however I do understand it doesn't hurt anything to be prepared . I have read so many thread's about problems with Spyders that this one started to make me second guess my purchasing of one. Your trip to Alaska sounds awesome and you will enjoy the beautiful state that Alaska is and Idaho isn't bad either.
    I have over 100,000 miles on Alaska roads since 2008. Never had a break down or been left stranded. The North to Alaska travelers are trying to be prepared, just in case.

The is not designed for four-wheeling or for off road adventures. Sticking to the pavement, improved (graded) gravel roads (not my cup of tea), are usually just fine. If you run into construction or really bad road, just slow down.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-23-2015 at 03:47 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Skagway is where the 1898 Klondike gold rush met the las gasp of the Will West and where Alaska’s modern history began. After gold was found near Dawson City, Yukon Territory, miners disembarked on Skagway’s dock for the tough cross-country trek. Almost overnight, Skagway went from wilderness to a city of saloons and brothels. Arguments were settled with guns and the absence of sanitation caused epidemics, so the cemetery grew fast. The rush lasted less than two years, after which Skagway became an ordinary town, but with a notorious past.

Stampeders faced their greatest hardships on the Chilkoot Trail out of Dyea and the White Pass Trail out of Skagway. There were murders and suicides, disease and malnutrition, and death from hypothermia, avalanche, and, some said heartbreak. The Chilkoot was the toughest on men because pack animals could not be used easily on the steep slopes leading to the pass. Until tramways were built late in 1897 and early 1898, the stampeders had to carry everything on their backs. The White Pass Trail was the animal-killer, as anxious prospectors overloaded and beat their pack animals and forced them over the rocky terrain until they dropped. More than 3,000 animals died on this trail; many of their bones still lie at the bottom on Dead Horse Gulch.

It’s history is presented well in the Klondike Gold Rush National Historical Park ( http://www.nps.gov/klgo/index.htm) which encompasses a 7-block corridor in the city.

Klondike Highway 2 connects Skagway with Whitehorse, YT, 100 miles away over the White Pass, a route with views as good as those on the excursion train which operates over the pass (http://wpyr.com/excursions/train-exc...mit-excursion/).

Here’s more links about things to do in Skagway:

http://www.tripadvisor.com/Attractio...ay_Alaska.html

https://www.travelalaska.com/Destinations/Communities/Skagway.aspx
    Skagway is a beautiful sidebar trip if you have the extra day's time. A little over 100 miles S out of Whitehorse (by road). You will leave Canada and enter American (Alaska) soil at the bottom of the trip. Your passport will be needed to return to Canada. The trip crosses the famous White Pass that the Goldrushers had to climb by hand and pack mule. The views are stunning and the famous White Pass RR can be seen from time to time. It looks like the tracks are on a shelf on the side of the cliffs. A beautiful canyon is below. You can ride the train--if you dare. An all day trip, about $100 per person.

Not much going on in Skagway. A couple blocks of Main Street and all filled with tourist shops and the White Pass RR station. The famous brothel has been turned into a restaurant/brothel museum. They have really good burgers. Spouse would not let me take the brothel tour.

Skagway can also be accessed if you are taking the ocean (ferry) route.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-23-2015 at 05:54 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    I have over 100,000 miles on Alaska roads since 2008. Never had a break down or been left stranded. The North to Alaska travelers are trying to be prepared, just in case.

The is not designed for four-wheeling or for off road adventures. Sticking to the pavement, improved (graded) gravel roads (not my cup of tea), are usually just fine. If you run into construction or really bad road, just slow down.
    Thank you as this makes me feel more confident in purchasing a F3. I had already ordered one back in October so now I'm excited again.

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I will second (or 3rd) the view that taking the side trip to Skagway is so worth while, if for nothing more than, for the scenery and the thought of the history of the route the gold seekers took. It will give you some appreciation of what they had to endure. The length of the distance the miners had to travel to get to the Dawson City area will become more apparent too. Getting to White Horse was a good distance and that was just the start of the trip. The trip from White Horse to Dawson City was in many ways even more demanding and a greater distance. Most went by boat and many died on the river. Some tried to go by land and that was even tougher.

You really should make time for the side trip. Skagway wasn't as interesting to us as the route. Skagway gets a lot of cruise ships stopping there and is somewhat touristy.

You will need your passport to get back into the US from Canada as much as the other way around.

Another side trip that I think you should make is to Haines, Alaska on highway 3 from Haines Junction, YT. Again, the scenery is outstanding especially on the stretch to Chilkat Pass. Haines is not as tourist as Skagway. Again, there is a border crossing. The road is good too but will add a day to your travels.

Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

I don't think a chase vehicle is really needed - perhaps a trailer with a belt/tire(s)/flat fix, etc may be - or spread the stuff out among the various bikes.

Also, don't forget the partial ferry segments - ie: Valdez to Price Rupert - shorter and cheaper - then you come down through Prince George (or up through...)

Finally, my favorite road in the world (& I HAVE been in a LOT of places) is HWY 93 between Lake Louise and Jasper (take the tram, if you get to Jasper!!) - the photo is Jasper from the top of the Tram.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Denali Excursion

Karyl just sent this info about the lodging and excursion she's arranging for Denali.

Thanks Les and Kathy:

This trip is $52.50 plus $10.00 park entrance fee. (if I haven't got that price correct please let me know ASAP..thanks)

This is for the excursion to Denali/Mt McKinley bus excursion: They do not pick up at the Healy motel I found (all closer motels were booked). Healy is 11 miles from parking to connect with bus. I will post motel info later..

This would be my preference forthe bus trip. Costs a bit, but should see the most and I figure once in a lifetime trip.

Kantishna Experience
    Offered June 8 - mid-September

Follow the trail of pioneer Fannie Quigley to the old gold town of Kantishna on this all-day adventure to the end of the Park Road. Your driver is a Certified Interpretive Guide and a National Park Service interpretive ranger joins you roughly halfway through your journey on this immersive experience. You will spend time in Kantishna learning about its interesting history and role in Interior Alaska.

This trip lasts 11 to 12 hours, traveling the entire 92 mile road and back over the course of the day.

The Kantishna Experience includes a lunch, snack and beverages. There are two daily departures. The tours pick up from area hotels in the early morning and depart from the Wilderness Access Center at 6:30 am and 7:30 am. They return roughly twelve hours later, and are a unique experience in the park that you don't want to miss! Specific hotel pick-up times are available from the bus company.

Some walking is involved.

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post

Karyl just sent this info about the lodging and excursion she's arranging for Denali.

Thanks Les and Kathy:

This trip is $52.50 plus $10.00 park entrance fee. (if I haven't got that price correct please let me know ASAP..thanks)

This is for the excursion to Denali/Mt McKinley bus excursion: They do not pick up at the Healy motel I found (all closer motels were booked). Healy is 11 miles from parking to connect with bus. I will post motel info later..

This would be my preference forthe bus trip. Costs a bit, but should see the most and I figure once in a lifetime trip.

Kantishna Experience
    Offered June 8 - mid-September

Follow the trail of pioneer Fannie Quigley to the old gold town of Kantishna on this all-day adventure to the end of the Park Road. Your driver is a Certified Interpretive Guide and a National Park Service interpretive ranger joins you roughly halfway through your journey on this immersive experience. You will spend time in Kantishna learning about its interesting history and role in Interior Alaska.

This trip lasts 11 to 12 hours, traveling the entire 92 mile road and back over the course of the day.

The Kantishna Experience includes a lunch, snack and beverages. There are two daily departures. The tours pick up from area hotels in the early morning and depart from the Wilderness Access Center at 6:30 am and 7:30 am. They return roughly twelve hours later, and are a unique experience in the park that you don't want to miss! Specific hotel pick-up times are available from the bus company.

Some walking is involved.

You folks will love the trip. The bus stops for all wildlife. Eagles, bears, ptarmigan, foxes, caribou, moose, etc. etc. There is so much that by hour 5 you may be tired of it.

They have upgraded the busses, so they are a little better to ride in if you have a bad back or something like that.

You will climb several narrow passes, a couple feet between oncoming busses and those on the cliff side will get a little of a thrill. The vistas are to die for. Specially KodaChrome Pass. Sincerely hoping you get a blue sky day so you can see all. Denali "hides" about 20% of the time.

Recommend visiting "Glitter Gulch" about 5 miles North of the Denali entrance. Vegas in Alaska.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-09-2015 at 07:41 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe and I did the Denali school bus ride in 1995 and we loved it. I think we will have to go again.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Below is a description of what some of us are doing on July 12 - July 14. If you're going North To Alaska with us and you want to visit the north slope, you should call the tour provider, Northern Alaska Tour Company, on 800-474-1986 and reserve your spot.

Arctic Ocean Adventure -- Southbound

A Three Day Guided Round Trip Journey By Air And Land To Alaska's Arctic Coast
    Tour Summary:

• DAY 1: Fly north from Fairbanks to Prudhoe Bay. Visit the Prudhoe Bay oil fields and begin the journey by dipping your toe in the frigid waters of the Arctic Ocean. Overnight at Prudhoe Bay.
    • DAY 2: Ground tour south in the personalized comfort of our tour vans along the famed Dalton Highway. Explore up close the amazing arctic tundra of the Arctic Coastal Plain and feel the veins of ice just beneath the surface. Continue across the Arctic Coastal Plain before climbing through the majestic Brooks Mountain Range and over the Continental Divide at Atigun Pass. Overnight at rustic Coldfoot. Optional Anaktuvuk Pass Adventure available on Day 2 (see end of page).
    • DAY 3: Visit the historic goldmining community of Wiseman. Cross over the Arctic Circle and receive an official Arctic Circle Adventure Certificate. Experience the mighty Yukon River. Marvel at the majestic beauty of the northland's most famous waterway and learn of the river's storied past. Visit the Arctic Circle Trading Post situated in the rural community of Joy, Alaska. Complete your adventure with a southbound ground tour back to Fairbanks.
    • Departs by air approximately 7:00 am - 9:00 am DAY 1; returns by land approximately 8:00 - 9:00 pm on DAY 3.
    • Tour Schedule: May 23 to September 9, 2015 on Tuesday, Friday, Sunday
    • 2015 Summer Rate: $1139.00/person based on double occupancy. ($200 Single Supplement

PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just ordered from PitBull a front tire and rim for my 2014 RTS and a tire and rim for my RT622 trailer so I'll have spares for the trip. Now I just need to get a scissor jack and a lug wrench to go with it!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Itinerary of 14 days of Alaska Trip

I've tried to summarize the first part of the North to Alaska trek. This is based on the emails from MurphyBrown. This will give you an idea of where we'll go on the way there, some of the costs (which aren't as high as I feared), and some of the sight-seeing we'll do.

If you think you're interested in going, please contact Karyl (MurphyBrown).

Monday, June 29, Day 1

• Chelan/Manson, WA to Clinton, BC
    • 360 miles
    • Lodging at Nomad Motel in Clinton BC; 250-459-2214
      • Prices for our group: [rates include tax]
      • 1 bed (up to 2 people) $50.85
      • 2 beds $56.50
      • ***2 Bedroom (4 people has kitchen) $84.75 This room may not be available...she will know for sure by Mid March..

• Group seating for dinner at the Roadkill Grill...Michele says they have killer BBQ and she will get us a discount

Tuesday, June 30, Day 2

• Clinton, BC to Burns Lake, BC
    • 388 miles
    • Lodging at Sunshine Inn at Burns Lake BC; 250-692-7696
      • All rooms reserved on ground floor.
      • Provide a continental breakfast
      • Prices are Canadian:
      • 2 BR Suite (2 separate people/couples can take this one...first come first serve) $129 +tax
      • All other rooms (a mix of 1 or 2 beds). $89 plus tax

Wednesday, July 1, Day 3

• Burns Lake, BC to Iskut, BC
    • 408 miles
    • Lodging at Tatooga Resort; 250-847-5885 (John is the contact dude)
      • I did a mix of room types....I will work with John if need to massage/change room configuration. So what is available are:
        • Crew Camp : Separate bedroom...bathrooms are multiple stalls (private) but in same room
        • Cost $50 plus tax Canadian
        • 2 Bed Motel Room: $130.00 plus tax

• Restaurant on property they also have website so you can "check" it out.

Thursday July 2, Day 4

• Iskut, BC to Teslin, YT
    • 345 miles
    • Lodging at Motel Nisutlin Motel; 867-390-2521
      • contact person Rick
      • please make reservation via phone..he doesn't check email very often!!
      • 2 rooms are single Q
      • Rest are double Q
      • Price: same for both $115 plus tax Canadian
      • he will give us a 10% discount because he will honor my senior rate for all rooms.
      • email: ntp@northwestel.net

Friday, July 3, Day 5

• Teslin, YT to Whitehorse, YT
    • 110 miles
    • 2 nights lodging at Muktuk B&B;
      • Rates (Canadian $):
        • Small guest room: 1 Bed Q bed $99 + tax
        • Large guest room: 1 Dbl/1 single bed $109. +
        • 2 Bedroom Cabin: $119.00+ (read ** below)
        • Shilo Cabin: 4 single beds...2 in loft area/2 in BR area $169.00 +

• They have breakfast and dinner

• We will arrive at Whitehorse with enough time to see the local sites.

Saturday, July 4, Day 6

• Optional day-trip to Skagway, AK
    • 109 miles each way via Klondike Highway

Sunday, July 5, Day 7

• Whitehorse, YT to Tok, AK
    • 386 miles
    • Lodging at Young's Motel
      • # and contact info: Chris and her direct line is 907-883-5578 She works only Mon - Fri 8 am to 4 pm ALASKA TIME. DO NOT talk to anyone else!!!
      • Rooms are all 2 beds and $101 per room no tax
      • Restaurant next door
      • Email edyoung@aptalaska.net
      • Office Tele 907-883-5578
      • Office Fax 907-883-5023
      • Motel & Restaurant Front Desk 907-883-4411
      • Motel & Restaurant Front Desk Fax 907-883-4369

Monday, July 6, Day 8

• Tok, AK to Eagle River, AK
    • 303 miles
    • Lodging at Microtel; 907-622-6000
      • Includes breakfast
      • laundry available
      • 1 bed $145.54 less 10% senior discount
      • 2 bed $193.74 less 10% senior discount

Tuesday, July 7 through Thursday, July 9, Days 9-11

• Area touring led by Dwayne (AKSpyderMan)
    • Lodging at Microtel at Eagle River, checking out morning of July 10

Friday, July 10, Day 12

• Eagle River to Healy
    • 235 miles
    • 2 nights lodging at Totem Inn; 907-683-6500
      • $140 per night

Saturday, July 11, Day 13

• Tour Denali National Park
    • Cost $175. If you have a senior citizen national park pass, bring it to show and they will refund $10
    • They do not pick up at the Healy motel. Healy is 11 miles from parking to connect with bus.
    • Kantishna Experience: Follow the trail of pioneer Fannie Quigley to the old gold town of Kantishna on this all-day adventure to the end of the Park Road. Your driver is a Certified Interpretive Guide and a National Park Service interpretive ranger joins you roughly halfway through your journey on this immersive experience. You will spend time in Kantishna learning about its interesting history and role in Interior Alaska.
    • This trip lasts 11 to 12 hours, traveling the entire 92 mile road and back over the course of the day.
    • Includes a lunch, snack and beverages. There are two daily departures.
    • Depart from the Wilderness Access Center at 6:30 am and 7:30 am.
    • They return roughly twelve hours later
    • Some walking is involved
    • Please call and get your seat: Ask for North to Alaska group and use the reference/confirmation #3000182X1
    • We need to be at the Wilderness Access Center parking lot at 7:00 AM on 7/11

Sunday, July 12, Day 14
    Today the group will break up with people going their own ways to make their Alaska Spyder adventure their very own. Some will do a 3-day/2-night Arctic Ocean Adventure to Prudhoe Bay or a 1-day excursion by air to Barrow to see the Arctic Ocean and native culture. There will be a cruise from either Whittier or Seward to see some glaciers and wildlife.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patti, I thought the trip to Seward was part of the 3 days in Eagle River. Are you saying that an additional day is needed if we want to see Seward? Also, Joe and I will have a jack with us.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Patti, I thought the trip to Seward was part of the 3 days in Eagle River. Are you saying that an additional day is needed if we want to see Seward? Also, Joe and I will have a jack with us.
    I'm not sure about that, Ann. Maybe Dwayne will jump in on that.

For a glacier-viewing cruise, I think I like the Blackstone cruise from Whittier. I may take one of the days from Dwayne's excursions to do that. The cruises from Seward are more wildlife-oriented. I'll post separately about my research on glacier cruises.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Glacier Cruise research

I contacted Major Marine, http://www.majormarine.com, about cruises from Whittier. For Glacier viewing she recommends the Blackstone Cruise. The Surprise Cruise also includes a couple glaciers, but is more wildlife-oriented.

Both Prince William Sound cruises (Blackstone and Surprise) are $119 from Whittier right now. The Surprise cruise is normally $149, but they have an early booking special on.

They have a Cruise/Coach combo from Anchorage, and we can get 20% off if booked by the first of March (I think). They pick up at 3 locations in Anchorage, about 9am, take you to Whittier for a cruise, and return to Anchorage about 530pm. Blackstone Cruise/Coach combo is $163.25; Surprise Cruise/Coach combo is $185.75. The coach picks up in Anchorage at 3 locations: Embassy Suites (9am), Comfort Inn (915am) and Egan Center (930am).

For all these, they have an on-board buffet for $19 that includes salmon and prime rib. (Sounds good!)

Major Marine also has some Kenai Fjord cruises for $80-$200, depending on the length of the cruise. These leave from Seward. Some include a complimentary light breakfast (if an early cruise) and complimentary deli lunch. If the complimentary lunch is not provided, the $19 salmon and prime rib buffet is available.

The Major Marine cruises can also be booked through the Alaska Railroad. http://www.alaskarailroad.com/Destin...0/Default.aspx These include round-trip rail transportation and the cruise by Major Marine. There are rail classes: Adventure class, normal rail car seating with 2 on each side of the aisle; and Gold Star class, with a dome car and bar service. I got this info from the Major Marine gal because the Alaska RR office is closed for the holiday.

Kenai Fjords, http://www.kenaifjords.com/day-cruises/, cruises out of Seward only. They have a 9-hour NW Fjord Tour for $184+tax that views 5-6 glaciers. But it’s a great distance from Seward and the actual glacier/wildlife viewing amounts to only about 4 hours.

They have their National Park Tour, 6 hours, that starts at either 8am or 1130am, for $149+tax, for $163. It views only 1 glacier and wildlife, and includes a light lunch (chicken caesar wrap).

The NP Tour can be accessed by train for $257.78, departing Anchorage at 645a, 1130a cruise, returning to Anchorage at 10pm. This is adventure class. Dining car is available on the train. The Gold Star class includes breakfast and dinner for $442.

Kenai also has a cruise/lodging deal for $372.30 per person, staying at their Renfro Lodge. The normal lodge rate is $259/night.

They offer a train/cruise/lodging deal for $497/person single or $382.06/person double. The itinerary is train to Seward, 1130am NP Tour, overnight at Renfro Lodge, train return to Anchorage.

I’m thinking my preference would be the Major Marine coach/cruise combo of the Blackstone Cruise. Eagle River is about 15 miles from Anchorage tto catch the coach for the day trip to Whittier and the cruise.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 Patti, I thought the trip to Seward was part of the 3 days in Eagle River. Are you saying that an additional day is needed if we want to see Seward? Also, Joe and I will have a jack with us.

Originally posted by Prairie Spyder
    For a glacier-viewing cruise, I think I like the Blackstone cruise from Whittier. I may take one of the days from Dwayne's excursions to do that. The cruises from Seward are more wildlife-oriented. I'll post separately about my research on glacier cruises.

I did not recommend a Glacier Cruise out of Whittier because you have to pay a toll fee to go through a tunnel to get there. I believe it is $15 or $20 per motorcycle. You get to drive down some railroad tracks, and I am not sure they are Spyder friendly.

I am including a great Seward trip day for those who choose to travel with me. All day, two great roadhouses (Lunch & Dinner) as well as a visit to a glacier that can be viewed without taking a multi hour cruise. I also promise you the Million Dollar views that all those coming to Alaska crave.

I will give the option of viewing from a distance or you can hike the mile or so trail hike to view the face of the glacier.

Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-18-2015 at 03:42 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 Patti, I thought the trip to Seward was part of the 3 days in Eagle River. Are you saying that an additional day is needed if we want to see Seward? Also, Joe and I will have a jack with us.

Originally posted by Prairie Spyder

I did not recommend a Glacier Cruise out of Whittier because you have to pay a toll fee to go through a tunnel to get there. I believe it is $15 or $20 per motorcycle. You get to drive down some railroad tracks, and I am not sure they are Spyder friendly.

I am including a great Seward trip day for those who choose to travel with me. All day, two great roadhouses (Lunch & Dinner) as well as a visit to a glacier that can be viewed without taking a multi hour cruise. I also promise you the Million Dollar views that all those coming to Alaska crave.

I will give the option of viewing from a distance or you can hike the mile or so trail hike to view the face of the glacier.

Thanks, Dwayne.

The cruises out of Whittier can be accessed by coach from Anchorage. (See glacier cruise research post, above.) I want to see all you want to show us. I've seen mountain glaciers and in Iceland we drove out onto a glacier. But I've never seen calving glaciers from the sea.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Akspyderman's Trips

I have purposely stayed out of a lot of the conversation as this is not my trip.

The plan, as I understand it, is that the group would be offered some rides within a 200 mile or so radius of Eagle River home base for the days they will be there. I was asked to come up with the rides.

I have purposely not made an itinerary as weather can sometimes play an important part. It may be raining South and not North. We will head in the "best" direction daily. My goal is to provide the best rides possible each day I get the opportunity.

We are fortunate in that we have million dollar scenery within the parameters I mentioned above. Those going beyond the area are also going to see the "good stuff."

: For sure, I am going to do an all day ride to Seward. Two fantastic roadhouses, scenery to die for, and I will fill you in on the local lore. Seward has a plethora of great tourist shops, is a beautiful Alaskan fishing town, etc. etc. etc.

: An additional ride is planned on the Kenai and I guarantee you will like where we are going. Another great roadhouse too!

: Another day, we are going mountain riding. You will be able to see for miles. Another glacier to view, and did I mention, another great roadhouse.

: Another day, we are going to visit a quaint town, a closer peek at Denali (if she is not hiding), and did I mention, another great roadhouse. Actually, you will have a couple choices.

There are four great rides for those that are interested. I gar-ron-tee all should have a great time on the rides.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 02-18-2015 at 09:56 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't want to miss any of that. So I'll have to schedule the glacier cruise for after our Denali tour. So much to see; so little money!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Yes Yes Yes

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    I agree with Gary that the top of the world hwy from Chicken to Dawson is gravel, or at least it was in 2006 when Kathy and I road across it on my Road King. We plan on doing it again on this trip.
    To me the danger on this road is from the motor homes who seem to drive in the center of the road leaving very little room to get around and it's call top of the world for a reason as there are drop offs on both sides
    The thing I remember most about Chicken was the great breakfast we had there. Now I can eat a lot of pancakes, but was unable to eat a short stack (2) as they were so large and thick. They had fresh pies, cookies, and Carmel rolls on the counter that looked great. The Carmel rolls looked to be 8" x 8" x 4"

Les
    Chicken is in permanent marker on the map!!!!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Chicken is in permanent marker on the map!!!!!!
    Do you know how it got its name?

They could not spell "Ptarmidgan" --maybe I can't either?

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One of the couples in my GWRRA Chapter made a trip to Alaska last summer. They took 42 days total for 7900 miles and over $8000. I believe he said they only went where they could ride, no trips by air or such. They may have taken a bus tour or two.

If you have any specific questions you'd like for me to ask them, let me know. He said they were looking at writing up a short story about their trip, hopefully in the next couple of months. If they get it done and are willing to share it, I'll get a copy for you guys.

Others who have done the trip can set me straight but I'm thinking those 350+ mile days Prairiespyder is showing are going to make for some really long hard ride days. Fortunately, you'll have plenty of sunshine hours per day so maybe it'll work out OK, but be careful about how hard you plan to ride. It ain't the Midwest open highways you're going to be on!

Maybe someone here already mentioned it but you'll be contending with a lot of RV traffic on second level quality roads so you are going to find it tough to average 40 to 50 mph, if that much.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)