Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Alaska 2015 Getting/Being There and Return

[This thread is to discuss who all is going. It goes with this thread: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...o-Alaska-2015]

This thread concerns the travel to Alaska, what we do while we're there, and getting back to the lower 48.

GETTING THERE

MurphyBrown has been putting together an itinerary from Chelan Washington starting June 29, 2015. I'll go with whatever route the group decides.

There is an option for an experienced guide for the trip. The company Motoquest leads motorcycle tours all over the world. I talked with their sales guy and also had a long conversation with one of the guides for their Alaska tour. They could do a custom tour for us, with whatever resources we want to purchase. A guide would cost $700 per day. I know that's a lot, but if we have 20 participants, that comes to $35/day each. They said they'd have a tiered pricing so the more people we have, the less the guide may cost. What does the guide buy us? By using their guide service, they'd also do all the lodging arrangements ahead of time. They know where to find lodging, fuel, food, etc. If one of our group decides to stop to get a pic, the guide can let them know if that's the best place of if there's something better down the road, so as not to have us waste a lot of time. They seem to be pretty laid back; they make sure the ones who like to get there sooner know the way and stay with the stranglers, making sure they get there at all. Apparently there's no requirement for the group to stay in a bunch; everyone rides their own ride. (Even if we don't get a guide, I like this way of operating.)

Something I learned from Motoquest that we should be aware of is that we can plan on rooms averaging $225 per night. This will be a limiting factor for where we go and how "by-ear" we can play our travel. Having certain overnight points decided ahead will give us a better chance of getting lodging for everyone if we book ahead.

I found it interesting that along the AlCan, some towns have only 1 gas station and it could take a long time for the entire group to refuel. Something Motoquest recommends is having a "fuel kitty" so everyone can refuel without stopping the pump and paying it all at once. That may be something we'd want to consider.

BEING THERE

I think everyone has a wish-list of things they want to do while in Alaska. I do. For at least part of the time we'll have AKSpyderman to show us around. (Thanks, Dwayne.) But in addition to that people may want to go off and do their thing. Start socializing with each other about what you want to do. We will probably break into sub-groups for many activities. I don't know if a time limit has been set for "being there" so go blue-sky with it.

Here's Motoquest's array of adventures if you want to do some motorcycling: http://motoquest.com/guided-motorcycle-tours-alaska/

I'm interested in a day-cruise to see a glacier and, if it's not TOO expensive, a flight to the north slope so I can say I dipped a toe into the Arctic Ocean!

GETTING HOME

I think some have expressed an interest in returning on the ferry. I've looked into that, and it may be out of my price range. So I'll probably be riding my Spyder back. Do we want to come back together? The same route? A different route? More things to be decided.

Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 01-16-2015 at 02:12 PM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

RE: Glacier Tour: Recommended is to take a cruise out of Seward--(better than Whittier--IMO). There are about three different cruises available. . You will see wildlife, seals, whales, gazillions of birds, some trips provide a meal while on the cruise. About $125 per person. This is worth it.

I do not recommend the Whittier cruises because you have to pay a toll through a tunnel to get to Whitter. About $20 per Spyder. This will be encountered when people take the ferry back to Bellingham.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-15-2015 at 07:29 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Patty, in Las Vegas we see a lot of guided motorcycle tours that typically have a truck and trailer that goes with. Does this service have something like that? Here the trailer is for riders gear but I was thinking more of a trailer that could haul a broken down Spyder. I would be very interested in something like that.

The gas idea is a good one, Robin and I went on a 3 day group ride with 450 bikes and all of the gas stops were orchestrated. You pulled up to the pump and a filler handed you the hose then told you what you owed. After you were filled you pulled ahead and paid someone. They rounded up and everyone paid cash. Now I don't think I would want to travel with enough cash to cover all of my gas but it could be something to think about at those stops with limited services.

Steve just got pricing on the ferry and it is definitely out of my league at $3,000 for 2 people with 1 motorcycle and 1 Spyder (+ add $700 for trailer) and that is for twin bunk beds and shared bathroom facilities. 4 days.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Patty, in Las Vegas we see a lot of guided motorcycle tours that typically have a truck and trailer that goes with. Does this service have something like that? Here the trailer is for riders gear but I was thinking more of a trailer that could haul a broken down Spyder. I would be very interested in something like that.

The gas idea is a good one, Robin and I went on a 3 day group ride with 450 bikes and all of the gas stops were orchestrated. You pulled up to the pump and a filler handed you the hose then told you what you owed. After you were filled you pulled ahead and paid someone. They rounded up and everyone paid cash. Now I don't think I would want to travel with enough cash to cover all of my gas but it could be something to think about at those stops with limited services.

Steve just got pricing on the ferry and it is definitely out of my league at $3,000 for 2 people with 1 motorcycle and 1 Spyder (+ add $700 for trailer) and that is for twin bunk beds and shared bathroom facilities. 4 days.

Motoquest can provide a truck as a chase vehicle for about $1,000/day. It includes a complete set of tools, generator, compressor, and flat-bed in the event one of our vehicles needs to be hauled. The cost of a your driver would be another $700/day. We could provide our own driver/mechanic using their truck.

They're in Long Beach and Oregon. We'd have to figure out a way to get the consigned parts out there.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    Motoquest can provide a truck as a chase vehicle for about $1,000/day. It includes a complete set of tools, generator, compressor, and flat-bed in the event one of our vehicles needs to be hauled. The cost of a your driver would be another $700/day. We could provide our own driver/mechanic using their truck.

They're in Long Beach and Oregon. We'd have to figure out a way to get the consigned parts out there.
    Yikes, that's a lot of money. We will be bringing tools so that isn't an issue but wasn't there interest from someone in driving a chase vehicle with a trailer?
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Yikes, that's a lot of money. We will be bringing tools so that isn't an issue but wasn't there interest from someone in driving a chase vehicle with a trailer?
    A friend of mine thought, earlier, they might, but they've decided to do a cruise to Alaska, instead. I don't know if someone else was considering that. I hope so.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The ferries costs vary. Some rooms have 6 bunks, etc., so the costs can be divided among several people. On some of the ferries, you can camp out on the deck if you want. Some have meals, some don't. Some make more stops and some are more direct.

http://www.dot.state.ak.us/amhs/
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I edited some of the information about Glacier Cruises. Sorry.

See post #2.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have thought of riding a motorcycle to Alaska...

$700 a day for a guide ??? ?? ? he must be one heck of a guide.. and $1000 for a truck plus $700 for a driver... ??? ?? ? HUH !!! ... count me out !!

a group of guys/gals could hire someone in a pick up with tools, compressor and carry extra gas for a heck of a lot less .. or even one of the group's spouse or son with a truck would surely cut out a lot of expense.. JUST SAYIN !!

osm

Spyder Garage

With all the experience from the seasoned riders contemplating the Alaska trip, I am thinking a guide is not really needed. The Milepost and the internet contain a wealth of information.

Many pros and cons about support vehicles, I will leave that to the experts.

If you decide to climb Denali, go bear, moose, or mountain goat/dall sheep hunting, white water rafting, fishing for the big ones, or wilderness camping--then, I would consider a guide.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-16-2015 at 02:38 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default These are just things to consider....

Quote Originally Posted by Orange Spyder Man View Post
    I have thought of riding a motorcycle to Alaska...

$700 a day for a guide ??? ?? ? he must be one heck of a guide.. and $1000 for a truck plus $700 for a driver... ??? ?? ? HUH !!! ... count me out !!

a group of guys/gals could hire someone in a pick up with tools, compressor and carry extra gas for a heck of a lot less .. or even one of the group's spouse or son with a truck would surely cut out a lot of expense.. JUST SAYIN !!

osm
    Don't write joining us off....these just are things that have been researched. The only thing in "stone" is the first leg: Leaving Chelan, WA on 6/29....take a week to get to Eagle R, where AKspyderman has graciously agreed to "show us all" in that area....if you want on the group email that will keep you up on all discussions please PM me with your name and email address...
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

AKSpyderman posted in another thread:

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Get a copy of the Milepost magazine. 2015 edition. Should be out in a month or two. This is an excellent source for basic information. Gas is about $1.00 or more per gallon than you are used to in the states. Canada gas is even more expensive. Hotels: $150 - $200 per night--regardless of where you are for hotels, motels. Food, expect $15.00 burgers--but you will get full. Entrees, expect $25 - $30. Ferry prices are in the Milepost.

Tent Camping: there are bears and moose. A lot of people just pull off the road and camp for the night. You will see pull offs on your trip. It does get cold at night. Plan on fall and winter camping conditions/temps for your trip. If its raining--then it can be an ordeal. If you have an enclosed camper--much better.

Dwayne, I usually figure a max of $150/day for touring expenses - lodging, fuel, food. Given what you've posted here, could you estimate a ball-park cost for the trip up there? I've heard average $225 per room. Assuming a roommate, would $300/day be too high an estimate?

I'm wondering where the ferry for the return becomes feasible!

Edit:

I just called the Alaska Marine Highway System and got a quote. Sailing from Whittier to Bellingham on July 20:
    $ 1,548 16' vehicle (Spyder + trailer)
    $ 572 adult fare for 1 person
    $ 876 4-berth cabin, outside, full facilities (ensuite, sheets, etc.)
    $ 750 4-berth cabin, inside, full facilities

Using the higher cabin rate, that would be $2,339 for 1 person with a Spyder and trailer, sharing a cabin. People riding 2-up would cost less, sharing the cost of the vehicle. This doesn't include the cost of meals.

The cost of riding 7 days would have to exceed $334 to make the ferry comparable in costs. Or the road trip would have to take longer.

Of course, taking the ferry, there would be less anxiety about possible break-downs on the road.
    Last edited by PrairieSpyder; 01-16-2015 at 02:32 PM.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by murphybrown View Post
    Don't write joining us off....these just are things that have been researched. The only thing in "stone" is the first leg: Leaving Chelan, WA on 6/29....take a week to get to Eagle R, where AKspyderman has graciously agreed to "show us all" in that area....if you want on the group email that will keep you up on all discussions please PM me with your name and email address...
    Here is a "teaser" for one of the rides mentioned above.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    AKSpyderman posted in another thread:
    Get a copy of the Milepost magazine. 2015 edition. Should be out in a month or two. This is an excellent source for basic information. Gas is about $1.00 or more per gallon than you are used to in the states. Canada gas is even more expensive. Hotels: $150 - $200 per night--regardless of where you are for hotels, motels. Food, expect $15.00 burgers--but you will get full. Entrees, expect $25 - $30. Ferry prices are in the Milepost.

Tent Camping: there are bears and moose. A lot of people just pull off the road and camp for the night. You will see pull offs on your trip. It does get cold at night. Plan on fall and winter camping conditions/temps for your trip. If its raining--then it can be an ordeal. If you have an enclosed camper--much better. END QUOTE:

Dwayne, I usually figure a max of $150/day for touring expenses - lodging, fuel, food. Given what you've posted here, could you estimate a ball-park cost for the trip up there? I've heard average $225 per room. Assuming a roommate, would $300/day be too high an estimate?

I'm wondering where the ferry for the return becomes feasible!

Edit:

I just called the Alaska Marine Highway System and got a quote. Sailing from Whittier to Bellingham on July 20:
    $ 1,548 16' vehicle (Spyder + trailer)
    $ 572 adult fare for 1 person
    $ 876 4-berth cabin, outside, full facilities (ensuite, sheets, etc.)
    $ 750 4-berth cabin, inside, full facilities

Using the higher cabin rate, that would be $2,339 for 1 person with a Spyder and trailer, sharing a cabin. People riding 2-up would cost less, sharing the cost of the vehicle. This doesn't include the cost of meals.

The cost of riding 7 days would have to exceed $334 to make the ferry comparable in costs. Or the road trip would have to take longer.

Of course, taking the ferry, there would be less anxiety about possible break-downs on the road.
    I DON'T WANT TO SCARE ANYONE OFF. JUST POSTING WHAT YOU WILL MOST LIKELY ENCOUNTER

The room prices I quoted ($150-$200) are double occupancy. If you have more than two persons in a room then add $75 - $100 per person extra. If you go way out in the boonies--higher room rates can kick in--because they can stick you good.. You should be able to sleep pretty good for under $200 per night in most cases.

Gas--given 35 mpg (average between the 998 (31) and 1330 (39) and 300 mile days. If we get lucky, you may see $2.00 gas in Anchorage area. Figure $.50 to $1.00 more as you leave the area. $2.50 x 9 gal's and 300 miles daily -- about $25.00 per day for Spyder gas.

Food: Averages: Breakfast: $10.00 Lunch: Burger & Fries type $15.00 Supper: $25.00. I am a two meal per day person so most of the time $35 to $50 for me for meals.

Basic costs per day. YOUR NUMBERS MAY VARY. Room $150, Gas $25, Food $50 That's daily $225. Round that up to $250 per day and you will have a ball park number. If you are going to buy souveniers or other stuff plan ahead. None of it is as cheap as you will encounter in the lower 48. Have extra money in case you need repairs, medical stuff, or just plain want to splurge on tours or something else.

FERRY COSTS: Expensive--but saves time and anxiety. If you decide on traveling on the deck--it can get cold, rainy, and miserable some times. You will be sailing the "inside passage."

Putting this in perspective. I usually spend $500 a day (for two) when going to Las Vegas. I plan on $1000 a day (for two) when I go to Hawaii. Includes air fare and car rental.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-16-2015 at 04:12 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) ruthie's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

you planning on going at the most expense time to Alaska an the mosquitoes will be out in full force. Went about 5 years ago at the first part of June. the motels had not gone to the summer rates but on the way back we stayed at the same hotels as we did going and the rates doubled. I would check to see when the summer rates begin and end. The mosquitoes was so bad heading back that we keep our helmets on whenever we stopped. But beside these, Alaska is a must trip for bikers. Hubby and I are thinking about going back this year ago. This time we don't have to be back to work.

2014 RT SE6 Limited
    rYding Safe = Having Fun

Ruthie

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Doing a little research on northern Alaska tours:

http://www.northernalaska.com I'm interested in the Barrow, AK day tour or overnight tour. Kinda expensive, though. But when will I ever get back to try it?

A less expensive place to stay near Denali: http://www.denalihostel.com
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I've been watching this thread and the others about your Alaska trip with interest. Going with your group conflicts with our other travel plans but I did give it a thought a few months ago when it was first mentioned.

That being said, my wife and I have been to Alaska twice and have been up to the Yukon not far from Alaska a few additional times. Never by bike however. We have traveled most of the roads on the way there and have done a lot of the side routes. We live just north of the Washington border. Presumably you will pass right by me as Chelan is about 3 hours south. We were at murphybrowns for the Heart of Washington event. I don't know what route you have planned but I would be happy to share any information and experience that we have with your group. If I don't know the answer I will say so. Obviously akspyderman has you covered at the Alaska end of things and will steer you well. I will just say that it is well worth the trip and although it won't be cheap, anyone going won't regret going.

I will share a few of mine and my wife's observations.

I appreciate the need to have spare parts and it sounds like you are preparing for that.

I do not think you need to incur the cost of using a guide and there has to be a better way to have a support vehicle other than paying $1,000 per day.

The Milepost is very useful and I would recommend getting that. Having said that, it is easy to use in the cab of a vehicle and is designed to give info based on distances from both the beginning of the Alcan and/or from items already passed. As such, the rider and passenger won't be referring to it as you ride but rather to plan in advance for things you want to see. It is a good reference.

There was mention of limited gas stations with there being only one station in some places. You will encounter this through northern British Columbia and the Yukon and parts of Alaska. Many of the stations are not 24 hour. When it's closing time, they're gone. Remember that you will be passing through a lot more of BC and Yukon than you might be thinking before you get to Alaska. Some places that show up on maps as towns are VERY small. Don't blink!
    You will be traveling during peak season. This has a few consequences. The roads up to Alaska will be quite busy which can slow things down significantly. Slow moving vehicles are not uncommon and because most of the roads that you will be traveling are one lane each way, passing can be difficult, even for a single vehicle let alone a group. 7 days to get to Eagle R in Alaska is do-able but don't count on always being able to do the speed limit. This is the time of year when road repairs get done. They have a short season.
    Also, motels and hotels can be difficult to find at that time of the year, as on the way there you will pass through many places with very few to choose from and many are pretty rustic. I would give serious consideration to having the ability to camp. We never worry about wildlife when camping and we have been in some pretty remote parts of our country where that was our only option. We just don't keep anything edible in our tent and to a bear, toothpaste for example is edible, so leave it outside your tent/camper. Moose are more dangerous than a bear and that is really mostly true during the rut which is not while you are there. Getting hit by lightning or hitting something crossing the highway is more likely than an encounter with wildlife while camping.

There are some great side trips which are really worth doing. The roads to Haines and Skagway are both beautiful and if you can do them, you won't be disappointed. It's a bit out of your way, but Dawson City is great too and the Top of the World Highway beyond Dawson City is also quite amazing. The road deteriorates quite a bit on the Alaska side of the border when on the Top of the World highway.

akspyderman is right on when he warns about the frost heaves north of Destruction Bay. They go on for quite some time and will slow you down. I remember them on the Glenn Highway in Alaska too. Quite often there is little warning.

Between Destruction Bay and the Alaska border, there are many small ponds and lakes and it is not unusual to see pairs of Trumpeter Swans if you keep a look out for them.

I assume you will be on the Alcan going up and if so it is very common to see wild Buffalo on the highway and sides of the road between Ft Nelson and Watson Lake but usually closer to Watson Lake. They pretty much go where ever they want. Woodland Caribou are also frequently seen on this stretch of highway too.

You will go right by Kluane National Park main entrance in our Yukon very soon after you go through Haines Jct. If you pull in there the rangers usually have the spotting scopes set up on the resident Dahl Sheep on the mountainside across from their building.

Denali I'm sure is on your Alaska agenda. We did the park bus trip to the very end of the park road and found it very worth while. It is a long day at about 13 hours round trip on essentially school buses, but highly worth while.

Anyway, if you know your route and if I can help out with any information or if I can answer any questions, I would be happy to do that. If our Canadian dollar continues to stay below your US dollar at its current rate, you will be 15 to 20% to the good while passing through BC and Yukon. Perhaps I will be able to briefly meet with your group as you pass through my area assuming you are going that way.

Cheers,
    Gary
    States visited by Bike

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Thank you for all that information, Gary. I'm sure MB is reading all this and taking it into account. I'd like to see Dawson City, YT, but I had read somewhere the road to it is not all paved. Or did you mean Dawson Creek, BC?

I could throw a 2-person tent into my trailer as a contingency for lodging. But then I'd have to bring sleeping bag, etc. I'll have to think about that!

Keep the tips coming!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Very Active Member cognaccruiser's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Hi.

The highway to Dawson City, highway 2, from just north of Whitehorse is the one I was referring to and it is paved all the way. Road repairs can occur at any time but it has been paved for a long time.

The Taylor Highway from Tetlin Jct to Dawson City which takes you past Chicken, Alaska and over the Top of the World Highway in the Yukon is NOT paved all the way and can be pretty rough. Or at least it wasn't 2 years ago when last on it. It was a lot better than when on it previous to that. If you weren't on Spyders I would say take it. Chicken, Alaska is a really neat little place with a population of a handful of people. They have a great little bar and a gas pump and a few other buildings. Not much else going on in Chicken. The Border crossing there is tiny and very rustic. I have a picture somewhere if I can find it.

Dawson City has really kept its Gold Rush atmosphere and there is still a lot of gold mining going on in the area. It is a tourist destination but is also very real.

Assuming nothing stops us from getting to Spyderfest, we can have a chance to talk about things up there with you.

Cheers, Gary
    States visited by Bike

Spyder Garage

I agree with Gary that the top of the world hwy from Chicken to Dawson is gravel, or at least it was in 2006 when Kathy and I road across it on my Road King. We plan on doing it again on this trip.
    To me the danger on this road is from the motor homes who seem to drive in the center of the road leaving very little room to get around and it's call top of the world for a reason as there are drop offs on both sides
    The thing I remember most about Chicken was the great breakfast we had there. Now I can eat a lot of pancakes, but was unable to eat a short stack (2) as they were so large and thick. They had fresh pies, cookies, and Carmel rolls on the counter that looked great. The Carmel rolls looked to be 8" x 8" x 4"

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

I also will be bringing tools and I am fairly handy with them.

I do not see a need to have a chase vehicle, but then I do have AAA that provides free towing up to 100 miles. They also have a plan that will go 200 miles, but cost more. If you do get AAA make sure you have RV+ as they consider motorcycles and Spyders as RV's

Les
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Do not miss Liard Hot Springs, in Liard Hot Springs Provincial Park, (Google it) on the Alaska Hwy, 3 hours north of Fort Nelson B.C. Free. Walk 1 mile on boardwalk through marsh and woodlands, to the lower pool, complete with changing building. Don't forget your suits. The pool is fantastic. There is a second pool a little further. I have never gone to it. I was told the lower pool is the best. If you do not stop for this you will really miss something.
    Parks Canada does a good job of interpreting Dawson City. Hit the visitor center first. Watch free short film. Take a guided walking tour of the city. Visit Robert Service's cabin for a poetry reading. There is a lot of history around Dawson City. You could not see it all in a wk.
    Good luck,
    Roger
    NB: Get and use the "Milepost"

Spyder Garage

The wife and I have stayed several nights at the Knik River Lodge which seems pretty close to akspyderman.
    While we were there we did a air boat ride up Knik river and all day stay at the base of the Knik Glacier. It was so remote and so spectacular. We had free roam of the area for the entire day. They had this little base camp setup with lunch, hot chocolate, etc. We will never forget our stay at Knik River Lodge and our day at the glacier.

Knik-0518.jpg
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by markyodo View Post
    The wife and I have stayed several nights at the Knik River Lodge which seems pretty close to akspyderman.
    While we were there we did a air boat ride up Knik river and all day stay at the base of the Knik Glacier. It was so remote and so spectacular. We had free roam of the area for the entire day. They had this little base camp setup with lunch, hot chocolate, etc. We will never forget our stay at Knik River Lodge and our day at the glacier.

Knik-0518.jpg
    About 20 miles from my home. The area is on one of my proposed scenic rides. The web site will fill in the details should anyone want to stay there.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 01-20-2015 at 02:03 PM.

2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default alaska 2015

Years ago, wife and I made it as far as her birthplace Whitehorse Yukon, trip ended up shorter than expected due to weather and roads being washed out. Would love to go again, but this time will be on a cruise up the passage. Hope your trip is safe, eventfull, and full of memories, stay safe and ride safer.....