Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default No luck Selling Spyder - should I part it out?

I have a question for all you out there. I've been trying to sell my Spyder for about the last 6 months now and advertised it in my local Wheels Deals, craiglist, newspaper classifieds, and on here with no luck. I've had more offers to sell it in pieces and am starting to consider it. I hate to have to do this, because it's such a nice bike, but it's starting to sound like something I have to do to sell what I can off it and take the rest to the scrap yard. Has anyone out there considered doing this or am I starting to lose my marbles. If you think I'm crazy, that's ok, because I'm starting to lose my sanity over this. I've never had any trouble selling any other bike I've ever sold, guess because they were all Harley's. Any suggestions from anyone?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Never sold a spyder (just purchased mine new in September of 2014), but have sold a lot of other 2 wheeled bikes. In my experience, if you have a lot of costume work done, it my be easier to get closer to your asking price by taking the bike back to stock and selling it a fair price. Then sell the extra items separately. I have done this to 2 M109's that I had, and it worked out great. On each one, I offered the extras, along with the bike for about 40% of the cost. After they didn't want to meet me on the price, I removed them and got a fair price for the bike, and about 60% of the cost on the extras. Hope it helps.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Might consider pulling the wrap off and putting a smaller windshield on it. I know the chances of someone liking that wrap as much as you do is slim. How many miles and what are you asking for it? What year?

Spyder Garage

You have done a lot of mods to your ride. The problem with that is that it limits the number buyers. The closer it is to stock the easier it is to sell. When I buy anything used, I automatically assume that mods are going to give me trouble. So when figure out a value I assign no value or more likely reduce it for every change from stock. There may be mods that I personally may like that adds value, but in past experience that is rare.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Those modifications are keeping folks from digging in their pockets...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member Pirate looks at --'s Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Limited

Agree with Lamont, that wrap (and hopefully it is not a paint job) limits your potential buyer market to the "Skeleton Crew" and they don't have the money to pay you what the bike is worth!
    White 2013 Spyder RT Limited. BajaRon Swaybar, Custom Dynamic Third Brake Light. Ultimate Custom Black and White seat with driver and passenger back rest. Gloryder Led Wheel lights.Custom Dynamics Led Bright sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright sides.

2016 F3 Limited Intense Red Pearl. Lidlox, BRP Driver Back Rest, BRP Passenger Back Rest,Fog Lights, GPS, Signature Light! Custom Dynamics LED Bright Sides, Amber and Red Fender lights, and Saddle Bag Bright Sides.

Spyder Garage

Agree with the above-- the more you can make the Spyder look stock in the photos, the better chance you'll have to sell it. Just throw in the mods as extras, or part it out.

Other advice, YMMV:

-- If you haven't yet, try eBay and CycleTrader as well, you'll get national exposure.

-- Is the bike paid off? Title in hand sells a bike FAR faster than assuming a loan.

-- A great price moves a lot of used bikes, but confidence moves many more. I know that when I'm shopping used bikes, the more detailed the ad, the more likely I am to read it. Details that include a service history, photos of any and all instances of wear & tear (*every* bike has its scratches, honesty demonstrates integrity), even a personal testimonial or two. Anything that lets a potential buyer know exactly what they're getting into. I'll pay a premium for either a perfectly-maintained garaged bike OR a cursed bike that has all its demons known from day one-- either way, just need to know what I'm getting into before I hand over the money.

-- Worse comes to worse, you can always trade it in towards an F3!
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rider2554 View Post
    I have a question for all you out there. I've been trying to sell my Spyder for about the last 6 months now and advertised it in my local Wheels Deals, craiglist, newspaper classifieds, and on here with no luck. I've had more offers to sell it in pieces and am starting to consider it. I hate to have to do this, because it's such a nice bike, but it's starting to sound like something I have to do to sell what I can off it and take the rest to the scrap yard. Has anyone out there considered doing this or am I starting to lose my marbles. If you think I'm crazy, that's ok, because I'm starting to lose my sanity over this. I've never had any trouble selling any other bike I've ever sold, guess because they were all Harley's. Any suggestions from anyone?
    My guess is the skull would turn off about 3/4 of anyone in the market. Remove or cover some of that stuff and you may get more action.

The Spyder market is small... by adding that decor, you have made the market minuscule.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

many mods/farkels/add on's are not always a great selling point. One would like to get their moneies worth but I have found it hard to do. I always keep the stock parts and if no one wants it my way I return it to stock and sell them seperately. If you have the stock parts you can offer them in the deal..good luck..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Questions: why are you selling?? is there anything wrong with the bike?? are you asking more than it's value??? what model and year??? have you thought about carrying back some of the selling price? just wondering.
    THE BIG F

Spyder Garage

I am also going to chime in. The bike looks nice--but--the subject matter of the wrap is going to turn off a lot of people.

Bringing the back to as close to OEM is going to get you more inquiries.

You need to do some serious price checking. People buying used are looking for a genuine bargain. If not priced accordingly it will not sell fast. We need to know more about the specifics of yours, year, miles, condition, asking price, etc.

This site is even a good indicator. Ads that get 400 plus looks and no replies or takers, indicate the price is to high. Those that are priced fair, get sold quickly.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default MODS

MODS tend to be the choice of the current owner, and many people would not chose what they did... especially when it comes to paint jobs....
    this is why i leave mine 99% OEM.... ALL mods that i do, are bolt-on, and can be removed withing minutes...
    GOOD LUCK, and post more info...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

with all of the above, unfortunately. You might find an osteologist or a forensic anthropologist who is in the market for a Spyder and loves the graphics. But then they may not like the raised handlebars. Returning it to stock as much as possible may find you a buyer more quickly. Your bike really is sharp looking, but that's just the reality of it.

OTOH, if that's not possible, then selling it in pieces just may turn out to be more lucrative. You may want to investigate that option more.
    Last edited by robmorg; 01-13-2015 at 04:41 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

If its not selling, then you're asking too much. Simple as that.

Parting it out may gain you more money, but are you willing to
    deal with the aggravation of pic taking, tons of emails and phone calls, boxing, mailing, running back and forth to UPS, etc, etc. Would drive me crazy.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default All of the above

Plus, it's the off season for a large portion of the country. Worst possible time to sell a bike.
    the more stock it is , the better. No offense, but I would never buy a spyder with that wrap on it unless it was dirt cheap. Just giving you my honest opinion. Good luck with it. I could not imagine parting out my bike as a way of selling it. I would just keep it forever.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyders are hard to sell. I purchased mine new in 2012 for 17,900 out the door but within 4 months I had I financial emergency. Had my stock RS SE5 up for sell for 6 months as well with not even a bite. I had it on Craigslist from Feb to July had to keep lowering the price and in July I had it as low as 11k. It was very shocking to say the least. My Financial situation turned around and I was able to keep the spyder and it gives my great enjoyment so I am glad things worked out.

Another option is to take it to a dealership that will take it on consignment.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have a thread just on this issue. I find most sellers are unrealistic as to their asking prices compared to new. Not suggested manufactures price but what an actual 2014 brings.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Big F View Post
    Questions: why are you selling?? is there anything wrong with the bike?? are you asking more than it's value??? what model and year??? have you thought about carrying back some of the selling price? just wondering.
    THE BIG F
    Yeah, figured I would get some reaction from some of the conservative crowd out there on the wrap job. That can be removed in a matter of minutes for those that don't know that. The reason I'm selling it is to help finance a new business venture. I have way too many toys and this is the one I originally bought on an impulse buy because I wanted to try something different. There's nothing wrong with the bike, in fact, it runs better than when it was new. I bought it with 587 miles on it and has just over 12,000 on it now. In my opinion, I think that's low mileage for a 2008 SE5. And some say I'm asking too much. I'm only asking $7500.00 for it. I think that is almost giving it away. I do have to agree with one person about the hassle of parting it out and dealing with the shipping crap and such. Guess I'll just wait till spring and dump it for what I can get for it. I'm going to stick with my Harley's. And by the way, I do have a clear title on it in hand. I feel if you have to finance a loan for your toys, then you can't afford them.

Spyder Garage

I think it's 90% the wrap, pure and simple. Take that off and I think your chances will jump on getting it sold. To the vast majority of people out there I'd bet it's a huge turnoff.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

Default Return to stock as much as you can

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    Never sold a spyder (just purchased mine new in September of 2014), but have sold a lot of other 2 wheeled bikes. In my experience, if you have a lot of costume work done, it my be easier to get closer to your asking price by taking the bike back to stock and selling it a fair price. Then sell the extra items separately. I have done this to 2 M109's that I had, and it worked out great. On each one, I offered the extras, along with the bike for about 40% of the cost. After they didn't want to meet me on the price, I removed them and got a fair price for the bike, and about 60% of the cost on the extras. Hope it helps.

Definitely agreed. I recently purchased a RSS I and was looking for it to be as much stock as possible. The only visual mod on my bike was some daylight running LEDs and I was going to do that myself.

You have to remember that the prospective buyer wants to start from a blank canvas to do their own mods. Also as daveinva stated be very detailed is your ad...state if the title is clean, maintenance records, etc.

Good Luck on the sale!

Spyder Garage

Yeah, figured I would get some reaction from some of the conservative crowd out there on the wrap job. That can be removed in a matter of minutes for those that don't know that. The reason I'm selling it is to help finance a new business venture. I have way too many toys and this is the one I originally bought on an impulse buy because I wanted to try something different. There's nothing wrong with the bike, in fact, it runs better than when it was new. I bought it with 587 miles on it and has just over 12,000 on it now. In my opinion, I think that's low mileage for a 2008 SE5. And some say I'm asking too much. I'm only asking $7500.00 for it. I think that is almost giving it away. I do have to agree with one person about the hassle of parting it out and dealing with the shipping crap and such. Guess I'll just wait till spring and dump it for what I can get for it. I'm going to stick with my Harley's. And by the way, I do have a clear title on it in hand. I feel if you have to finance a loan for your toys, then you can't afford them.
    Your price is right on and the mileage is low. Both should aid you in the selling of the . I think it might be the wrap that is holding it back.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by akspyderman View Post
    Your price is right on and the mileage is low. Both should aid you in the selling of the . I think it might be the wrap that is holding it back.
    For all the replies I've had on my thread, there has been a lot of negative reaction to the skull and bones wrap. That's ok, I respect other peoples thoughts about it. What's so odd about it though, is that where ever I go, that is the one thing about the bike that other people like the most. I've had many comments on how they like how the wrap has a theme about it and not just a bunch of colors like most wraps have. Are the demographics of where we live here in the U.S. make that much of a difference on how we think or could it be more of an age factor of the persons likes and dislikes? Yes, I've has some of the very older generation not like it. Hope I never think like that when I get that old, but then again, I'm still riding Harley's for over 45 yrs.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I don't own a Spyder, but I'm looking. In all the research I've done and reviews I've read, the fact that the Spyder doesn't have very good resale value keeps popping up. I don't have a answer for that, just noticed it and then when I read this thread I thought it tied in good.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

For all the replies I've had on my thread, there has been a lot of negative reaction to the skull and bones wrap. That's ok, I respect other peoples thoughts about it. What's so odd about it though, is that where ever I go, that is the one thing about the bike that other people like the most. I've had many comments on how they like how the wrap has a theme about it and not just a bunch of colors like most wraps have. Are the demographics of where we live here in the U.S. make that much of a difference on how we think or could it be more of an age factor of the persons likes and dislikes? Yes, I've has some of the very older generation not like it. Hope I never think like that when I get that old, but then again, I'm still riding Harley's for over 45 yrs.

I don't think the comments about the wrap are "negative reaction". You asked for comments on why it's not selling. I don't doubt you get a lot of positive comments on the graphics. Yet you can't sell it! Would you rather be right or sell your Spyder?
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Lawn Ornament

Yea, It's a poor market for used Spyders. I herd on different websites when people bought a used Spyder that warranty had run out and they had to put out thousands of dollars in repairs and maintenance that were not done. I kept the farkles to a minimal investment and in 2016 when my warranty runs out, I'll run it till it breaks sell the parts or as a parts bike. This why there called fun toys. The Spyder is about $ 25,000 investment, so if you have it for 5 years that's $5,000 a year. A real nice vacation cost that much and now you have a lawn ornament. That's IMHO.

Mike
    Last edited by MikeinGA; 01-15-2015 at 02:09 PM.