Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Gas additives/octane boost

I live in the Kansas City, MO area. I saw reading my owners manual that Can Am recommends 91 octaane gas. I ride a lot in the rural areas of Missouri, Kansas and Iowa. The higher octane gas is not always available. Many times it is not even an offered. Does anyone add an octane boost or is 89/87 octane with ethenol OK to run.? I have a 2014 RTL.

Spyder Garage

Default As I see it..!!

most US fuels at any octane level will work fine. If you are running the lower with ethenol I use "Sea Foam" every few tankfulls to help with ethenol....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default 87

i have been using 87 octane gas since new back in '09... NEVER have i had a gas issue at all, but i've always used Sta-Bil Blue...
    i just purchased a 2015 F3-S and it calls for 91 gas... at some point in time, not the first 5 or 10 fill-ups, i'll try 87 again, because we have non-ethanol gas here with, but it only comes in 87 octane...
    Dan P
    Easley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Default : Gas additives/octane boost

I have been using 87 octane in my '14 RT L since new. I only have 4000 miles on this one, I put over 7000 miles on my '12 RT S.
    Of course my '14 has way more get up and go, but even with the '12, I had no issues using 87 octane.
    Lightnin' LeeRoy
    2014 RT L Lightin' LeeRoy
    1980 CM 400A
    1982 CM 450A
    [/SIGPIC]Lightnin' LeeRoy

Spyder Garage

Default Gas additives/octane boost

A quick Google Search will show that the "Octane Ratings" aren't really enforced by the government agency that established them.

A good C.Y.A. is to throw in a reputable "fuel cleaner" every now and then while using the highest you can find. This will also help ensure your injectors stay clean and unclogged. Make sure the amount of additive you add is for the tank size of the Spyder.

http://www.gao.gov/products/RCED-90-50

http://www.economist.com/blogs/babba...octane-ratings

-Mike
    Last edited by SpyderFun; 01-11-2015 at 09:31 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Does the 1330 engine have a knock detector to adjust the timing if the fuel is pre igniting? If not, be careful because knocking from too low octane can be fatal for your engine. If it does have this feature, no worries but where I am (Australia) BRP insist on nothing less than 95 RON (different measure than in the US).

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by rollingstone View Post
    Does the 1330 engine have a knock detector to adjust the timing if the fuel is pre igniting? If not, be careful because knocking from too low octane can be fatal for your engine. If it does have this feature, no worries but where I am (Australia) BRP insist on nothing less than 95 RON (different measure than in the US).
    Yes, the 1330 has a knock sensor. The engine controller will retard the timing if 87 octane is used. My owner's manual recommends, but does not require, 91 octane. My opinion is that you are compromising power at lower octane, but not necessarily reliability. The way gas prices have dropped in my neighborhood, there is no question of what I will burn.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default 91 Octane E-0 Gasoline

Quote Originally Posted by kngfsh27 View Post
    I live in the Kansas City, MO area. I saw reading my owners manual that Can Am recommends 91 octaane gas. I ride a lot in the rural areas of Missouri, Kansas and Iowa. The higher octane gas is not always available. Many times it is not even an offered. Does anyone add an octane boost or is 89/87 octane with ethenol OK to run.? I have a 2014 RTL.
    It appears via www.pure-gas.org there are a number of 91 octane real gas outlets in the KC, MO area. Check it out. Good Luck