Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default 2012 rt limited tire removal info

Don't go to the trouble of taking loose the shock. I use a jack I got from Amazon it will actually lift the whole spyder. Bleed air bag , disconnect air sensor linkage located by belt 10 mm bolt and nut. Release parking brake the roll brake assembly foreward to remove cable. Note you can do this if a brake fails to release just saying.remove 2 bolts holding caliper assembly slide free mine had no spacers. Loosen main wheel bolt and nut after removing carter pin. I moved the wheel adjustments 8 turns each to give wheel slack to get belt off. Once belt is removed pull main wheel bolt out , then roll out wheel Assyrian.
    the pully side is held on wheel assy by rubber bushings in wheel just tap with hand and remove, they can only go back in one way,mor take a picture. This exposes the nut side of the inner spacer assy as I call it, the thing the brake disk is mounted to remove the bolts, might need a tap as it slides on but gunk builds up. Once clear remove the bolts holding the spacer , inspect the bearings . Do not forget to put the tube assembly back in as it gives the assy strength. Got my tire from discount tire, it codes out to a 1994, Mitsubishi eclipse base model as they would not seek it to me for the spyder on check out. I got my kumo delivered for $ 81 total. Check your rear pad while you have them off. It's not to hard once you read this happy tire removal. Enjoy Huck

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Sensor Position Switch

Be sure and take the bolt out of the position sensor switch arm before you remove the bottom shock bolt. The bracket holding the sensor switch and arm is light weight stuff and will bend and throw the sensor off. By the way if you disconnect the electrical connection from the position sensor you may have to have it reset by a dealer with the computer.

I watched the video but didn't know about the sensor arm until it was too late. Then trying to get the bracket back in the correct spot I broke the metal arm off the sensor switch and had to spot weld it back on. Then found I had to take it to dealer to get it calibrated. Live and learn but learning can hurt.

Spyder Garage

check out this video on removing rear wheel & changing wheel bearings.
    canam spyder wheel bearings replacement- youtube by Adrian Iredale.
    He made a tool for the nut.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by spyder stryder View Post
    check out this video on removing rear wheel & changing wheel bearings.
    canam spyder wheel bearings replacement- youtube by Adrian Iredale.
    He made a tool for the nut.
    You mean this one

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Very Active Member bronzeflex42's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default rear rim

Thank you guys for all your great suggestions and comments on this thread. I plan to remove my rear rim to have it chromed and i was puzzled a little about doing it. I kind of have an idea now..

Spyder Garage

finless
    That is the one, I can't post up things like pictures & videos.

Spyder Garage

I realize this is an old thread but as I am going to pull my rear wheel for the first time for a new tire before a long trip I thought I would read thru every one I could find. Some of you were looking a a puller from HF but I think a better one would be this number.Item #95987. http://www.harborfreight.com/catalogsearch/result?q=blind+bearing+puller
    I have one of these and have used it several times and it works really well.

I have a 2012 RTS L. I see it mentioned to disconnect the parking brake but no mention of how to do this. Any suggestions?

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If you have a shim on one of the caliper bolts put it back together with it in place, spin the wheel, take the washer out and see how the wheel turns without it. You may need the washer, I did not need mine, it spun more freely without it.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pegasus1300 View Post

I have a 2012 RTS L. I see it mentioned to disconnect the parking brake but no mention of how to do this. Any suggestions?
    I did not have to disconnect the parking brake on my 2011 RTS. You do on the manual parking brake setup of the RS.

See my video for rear wheel removal:

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Bob thank you for your reply and the link to your video. I had watched it before but a refresher is always good. BTW I can't believe you did this in bare feet or flip flops. What a man.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

If your loosening the adjusters a set amount of turns to give the belt slack to take off- ALSO measure the distance from axle to end cap on each side and write it down and it should be the same exact measurement when the adjusters are re-tightened!

2015 F3 sm6, Custom Dynamics fender lights.

Sea Doo GTI-SE 90 Jet Ski!!

Spyder Garage

Default 2014RTS rear wheel removal

I have read all above as I need a new tyre aswell
    My bike is an RT Standard, no electric adjustable suspension, will mine still have the "TIE ROD"? and do I still need to let all the air out of the suspension.

I intend to use a TOYO Proxis T1R It's about all I can find here in France with a similar tread pattern to a Kenda, has anyone used one of these?

Thanks in advance and thanks for all above, been very useful
    2014 RT Std
    Floor and Highway Boards
    50$ GPS connected to oem loom
    Trunk & Frunk Liners and lights
    Frunk and dashboard power outlets
    Front supension LEDS
    Cup holders
    Glovebox light
    Turn signal LEDs in mirrors
    12 volt coffee maker
    Passenger hangrip muffs
    Ignition lock light
    Windscreen wiper/ baguette holder

If I wasn't so cleverI wouldn't need to be so good looking.
    2014 RT , Black

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt

YOu do not meet to reLease the belt adjustment

Reamouve the shocks and lift the bike , the belt will be loose

Quote Originally Posted by IdahoMtnSpyder View Post
    Another suggestion. Loosen the belt tension adjusting bolts an exact number of turns, like maybe 8, and both exactly the same. Make a note of the number and be sure to keep the bolts from turning in the adjusting blocks after they are loose. Tighten them back the same number of turns and your belt tension should the same as before taking the wheel off and the belt should track the same. Otherwise you'll find yourself going through the entire belt adjustment procedure. Loosening the adjusting blocks makes it MUCH easier to remove and reinstall the axle [not axel! ].

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Belt adjusters

When taking rear wheel off do not touch belt adjusters. When you jack up the bike the swing arm will drop down some. when tire just clears ground roll the tire back wards and walk belt off. When finish with tire walk belt back on. This saves a lot of trouble and belt should track right. I have done this on about 8 tires from 2008RS to my 2014RT worked perfect ever time.

Spyder Garage

You don't take the shock off either, just undo the lower bolt.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.