Spyder Garage

Default Question for the group

I've never sold anything on Spyder.com, but I have something I want to sell.
    I'm sure all members of our spyder community are honest and trust worthy,
    but what is the best way to ensure you receive payment before you ship the
    article you sold and it's not a con artist ripping you off?
    Thanks in advance for your input!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post

Have them pay you with paypal, protects both of you.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Davis View Post
    Don't ship until thr check clears or the money order is cashed. Pay Pal is best.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Pay Pal is the easiest and safest way to perform your transaction.
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Spyder Garage

PayPal - safe transaction for both parties. Yes, there's a 3% fee, but consider that insurance.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

PAY PAL

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    PayPal - safe transaction for both parties. Yes, there's a 3% fee, but consider that insurance.

Spyder Garage

And who pays that 3%, the buyer or the seller??
    All the great movements in the world began with a cup of coffee!

2018 F3-T

My mods: Can am Trailer hitch, USB and 12 volt power outlets, Gustason windshield, Bead rider seat cushion, battery harness for electric gear and battery tender, Time out trailer.
    2018 F3-T , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There is no fee if you have them mark it as payment to friends or family. IGETAROUND, the seller would pay the fee.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Question for the group

Thanks for all your input. Palpal seems to be the way to go.

Spyder Garage

Default There you go...!!

paypal...best way but the other suggestions are good too...good luck on your sale...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Only thing I will add here is how well this site is moderated.
    I don't think you will get ripped off here. I have yet to hear of someone that has since I have been here. This is a pretty tight nit community so honestly, I don't think you have much to worry about. You don't mess with bikers they might come to get you!

I have not sold anything myself but I have bought many things from here and not a trouble ONCE! Good honest people here.

Only thing I will add is watch out for buying scammers that offer you payment deals to good to be true. I have not seen those scammers here but the MO is:
    I will pay you double, you get a cashiers check, ship me the stuff, and then I will trust you to pay me what's left over. Very common scam on Craigslist. In the end you ship product, send a check for the difference, and weeks later find out the cashiers check was not good. Your out the product AND the left over cash you sent them.

Bottom line paypal works. If the user doesn't have paypal then wait for the check to clear before shipping if you don't trust them for some reason.

Bob
    Last edited by finless; 01-07-2015 at 09:25 PM.
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    Only thing I will add here is how well this site is moderated.
    I don't think you will get ripped off here. I have yet to hear of someone that has since I have been here. This is a pretty tight nit community so honestly, I don't think you have much to worry about. You don't mess with bikers they might come to get you!

I have not sold anything myself but I have bought many things from here and not a trouble ONCE! Good honest people here.

Only thing I will add is watch out for buying scammers that offer you payment deals to good to be true. I have not seen those scammers here but the MO is:
    I will pay you double, you get a cashiers check, ship me the stuff, and then I will trust you to pay me what's left over. Very common scam on Craigslist. In the end you ship product, send a check for the difference, and weeks later find out the cashiers check was not good. Your out the product AND the left over cash you sent them.

Bottom line paypal works. If the user doesn't have paypal then wait for the check to clear before shipping if you don't trust them for some reason.

Bob
    Finless:

There have been a few trolls on here that didn't do as they promised, paypal cuts out the B.S.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

I just purchased some handlebar risers from a fellow member (Dkerr). He even shipped them out before I had a chance to pay him. Good honest people on here.

Spyder Garage

Default whats for sale bill

yes PayPal that horse is beat down what do you have for sale lol

tell us don't keep us in suspense

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Pay Pal or USPS postal money order... if you opt to use USPS money order wait until you get the M/O to ship item...

osm

Spyder Garage

Unfortunately, there are many crooks out their waiting to pounce. I sold one set of Seal floorboards, and took a check from the buyer. I knew who they were from the board, so did not feel there was a problem.

I am a bit trusting sometimes, but my vibes have been good so far.

Then there was the steel guitar that I tried to sell on CL. The guy wanted me to ship it to MN and he would send me a check if he liked it. If not, he was going to send it back to me.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default PayPal gift

Please keep in mind that your seller protection goes away if the money is received as a gift. That's what you pay PayPal the 3% for.

FWIW, I had a buyer, on another site, send me money as a gift then asked me to ship the item to someone else. Well, PayPal will only guarantee the money if the item is shipped to the verified address of the buyer. You don't get an address with a gift payment. The bottom line was that I refunded the money. The "buyer" got bent out of shape because PayPal kept the service fee out the refund (I did not realize that would happen).

I look at at the fees like I do the shipping cost. If I can put the item into a USPS flat rate box, then I include that $ into the sales price. If not, I'll ask for the cost of shipping in addition. The same goes for PayPal, add the 3% in the asking price or not. It's between you and the buyer.

Spyder Garage

Believe it or not, there are fraudulent sellers out in cyberspace as well (Gasp!)... Paypal protects both buyer and seller. I've used Paypal to buy (and sell!) for over a decade and never had any problems with Paypal. I highly recommend it.

Also when you list something for sale, remember to take good high resolution pics and include the pics in your listing! Listings without pics are kinda worthless, IMHO.

Regards!

- Michael

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Meanmoe View Post
    Please keep in mind that your seller protection goes away if the money is received as a gift. That's what you pay PayPal the 3% for.

FWIW, I had a buyer, on another site, send me money as a gift then asked me to ship the item to someone else. Well, PayPal will only guarantee the money if the item is shipped to the verified address of the buyer. You don't get an address with a gift payment. The bottom line was that I refunded the money. The "buyer" got bent out of shape because PayPal kept the service fee out the refund (I did not realize that would happen).

I look at at the fees like I do the shipping cost. If I can put the item into a USPS flat rate box, then I include that $ into the sales price. If not, I'll ask for the cost of shipping in addition. The same goes for PayPal, add the 3% in the asking price or not. It's between you and the buyer.
    you can ask the buyer to add that address to his paypal account. I do that when I buy something and I want to send it to the kids
    Stefan