Spyder Garage

Default Looking for tech answers

Howdy.

I recently picked up my 2010 RT from my local dealer after it was serviced.

As a result, I am seeking answers from the great people of SL to give me confidence that my dealer did things right.

So...here goes: WHAT IS A "TPS SENSOR?"

The dealer found the following codes: P1120, TPS sensor out of position.
    P2620, TPS
    C1290, VCM Voltage Failure -- need to replace TPS
    sensor.

How many TPS sensors are on the RT?
    Why would a TPS sensor be "out of position?"

Would the VCM Voltage Failure require replacing the battery? It was only a year old.

I need, and appreciate, all the help I can get.

Thanks,

JOHN

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

TPS is throttle position sensor . . . don't know about the rest . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Default Well..!!

Our own Roger Rattigan has a program (app) for you. Will explain all this stuff. TPS (throttle position sensor) TAS (throttle acceleration sensor) VCM (vehicle control module) but none will require replacing the battery unless it itself is faulty. The biggest load on your battery is the DPS (dynamic power steering.. App for android is spyder codes and for apple is my spyder...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I just watching to see the answers.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Having not personally attended the BRP Tech Program but am well aware of position sensors on hi tech-planes, I can offer this opinion..... a bad sensor can cause faulty error messages for other systems provided those systems rely on that sensor as an input. In essence, bad input equals bad results.

My 2-cents, Replace or Adjust the TPS and clear the codes and wait to see what repeat codes you get.

Hope this helps!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Remember: this is a "throttle by wire" system.
    The throttle position sensor (I think!) is reading where you've twisted the throttle to, and giving that information to the throttle bodies. They will then open up to allow the amount of fuel to flow that you've asked for.
    When the TPS starts acting-up; the system can't tell where the throttle is.
    It can't figure out what you're asking for!
    (Had to replace this baby on my 2010 once... it's about a $100 deal...)
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Air Force PAO View Post
    Howdy.

I recently picked up my 2010 RT from my local dealer after it was serviced.

As a result, I am seeking answers from the great people of SL to give me confidence that my dealer did things right.

So...here goes: WHAT IS A "TPS SENSOR?"

The dealer found the following codes: P1120, TPS sensor out of position.
    P2620, TPS
    C1290, VCM Voltage Failure -- need to replace TPS
    sensor.

How many TPS sensors are on the RT?
    Why would a TPS sensor be "out of position?"

Would the VCM Voltage Failure require replacing the battery? It was only a year old.

I need, and appreciate, all the help I can get.

Thanks,

JOHN
    You could have a bad TPS or you could just have a throttle body that needs cleaning. I had this happen to me on my 2010 in Sturgis. I was able to break the throttle plates free and reset the the TPS with buds. This is something you need your dealer to look at.

Voltage is also very critical on the Spyder, love voltage can throw unrelated codes too.

Spyder Garage

So...here goes: 1. WHAT IS A "TPS SENSOR?" ... 2. How many TPS sensors are on the RT?
    3. Why would a TPS sensor be "out of position?"
    From my 2013 Manual:
    1. "THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR (TPS)
    General: The throttle position sensor (TPS) is a twin potentiometer that sends two signals to the ECM, that are proportional to the throttle shaft angle."

"The TAS (Throttle Accelerator Sensor), CPS (Crankshaft Position Sensor), the MAPS (Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor), and the TPS (Throttle Position Sensor), are the primary sensors used to control the injection. Other sensors such as temperature sensors are used as secondary inputs."

"An electric throttle actuator (ETA) is used to control air delivery by opening or closing the throttle plates. It allows the ECM to electrically control the position of the throttle plates throughout the full range of engine operation.

The TPS provides the ECM with a signal of the actual angle position of the throttle plates. When the ETA changes the position of the throttle plates, the ECM uses the TPS signal to monitor the throttle plate position, and modulate the ETA through pulse width modulation to move the throttle plates until the targeted position of the throttle plates is achieved."

2. There is one TPS

3. "THROTTLE POSITION SENSOR RESET
    General Information
    This operation performs a reset of the values stored in the ECM for the TPS when it is at the closed position and at the limp home position. The TPS position is used to determine the basic parameters for all fuel mapping and several ECM calculations. A reset must be carried out each time any of the following situations has occurred:
    – Throttle position sensor (TPS) has been loosened, removed, or replaced.
    – Throttle body has been replaced.
    – ECM has been replaced."

The reset procedure is done with the BRP Diagnostic Software (BUDS). Possible problems with the TPS are connector loose/disconnected, sensor loose, sensor damaged or corroded, wiring problems, or sensor worn.

That would require troubleshooting. It is possible that a year old battery can be bad, or it might be something else. If a battery was not prepped properly before installation it could very easily have a short life span.

Clifford Fargason
    2013 Spyder RTL
    2007 Royal Star Venture

Spyder Garage

Default Tech answers

Terrific.

Thank you all very much. I feel very good that the information shared is on target and does well to answer my questions.

Looking forward to ryding.

JOHN

Test message.

2016 Spyder RT