Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by billybovine View Post
    It was kinda related so no problem. It's not like you started a conversation about your dog.
    Speaking of dogs I once owned a Golden retriever ---------

Since both the 2014/15 RT's and the new F3 have the same motor and if the sprocket to sprocket distance is the same the belt and sprocket from an F3 should fit.
    Lamont has an F3 so you should PM him and ask for that measurement.
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

The F3 rear wheel is a one piece wheel with no replaceable hub like on all other Spyders. Not sure if they mate the same or not, they look like they do.
    As far as changing out the sprocket to your ST I'm told by the head BRP tech that this will not work, it would throw a code because the calibration for the VSS would be off.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I guess that it'd be nice to know exactly what systems are being monitored...
    If running more rpm than the speedometer thinks is normal; the VSS must also be checking what gear you're in, and comparing the rpm levels to those known readings.
    Or... is the BRP tech just trying to discourage some "creative thinking"?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PW2013STL View Post
    Speaking of dogs I once owned a Golden retriever ---------

Since both the 2014/15 RT's and the new F3 have the same motor and if the sprocket to sprocket distance is the same the belt and sprocket from an F3 should fit.
    Lamont has an F3 so you should PM him and ask for that measurement.
    I see no reason that the sprocket and belt from the F3 NA will not physically fit on a 2014/15 RT. Since the F3 international version uses the same belt and sprocket as the 2014/15 RT. In fact some of 2015 RTs have the same 6 spoke rim as the F3.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

So if the "Euro-F3" shares parts with the RT; has the VSS been given different coding for the gear-change?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post
    The F3 rear wheel is a one piece wheel with no replaceable hub like on all other Spyders. Not sure if they mate the same or not, they look like they do.
    As far as changing out the sprocket to your ST I'm told by the head BRP tech that this will not work, it would throw a code because the calibration for the VSS would be off.
    I had not noticed that the new 6 spoke rim, standard equipment on some of the 2015 F3, RT and ST, did not have a replaceable hub. But since the new rim fits across 3 different models lines I think that proves the 2 sprockets are interchangeable.

Yes it could throw a code. Since the wheel speed sensors will not be affected I did not think it would be through the VSS system. I figured the code would come from a rpm to speed mismatch. That would be in place to detect an excessively slipping clutch.

I would still like to know the difference between the belts from a 998 model and a 1330 model.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    So if the "Euro-F3" shares parts with the RT; has the VSS been given different coding for the gear-change?
    That's possible. Another possibility is the 1330 models do not check for clutch slippage. Or the parameters are so wide, both options will work.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Lamonster View Post

I don't own any BRP products, but I have had my friends apart too many times.

we're about to order parts an begin this upgrade..

Has anyone out there actually done this?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by gmctech View Post

I'm larryd and I too would like to do this to my 2014 RTS...PLEASE PM me when you have it on the road...THANK YOU, larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

From what Steve at BRPcare has reported; you'll now be able to swap sprockets and belts. You just need a hookup to BUDS, to choose which setup you're running.

Billy,
    Back to your original post: I think that you might need to change the front sprocket also... ( I don't know if this has been addressed...)

Spyder Garage

From what Steve at BRPcare has reported; you'll now be able to swap sprockets and belts. You just need a hookup to BUDS, to choose which setup you're running.

Billy,
    Back to your original post: I think that you might need to change the front sprocket also... ( I don't know if this has been addressed...)
    Why?

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

When they went to the 1330 engine (in 2014); didn't they change the belt construction and/or configuration a little bit?
    I suspect that his would have been carried over to the F3 belts also...
    I'm just saying that you might want to check this out a bit.

Spyder Garage

When they went to the 1330 engine (in 2014); didn't they change the belt construction and/or configuration a little bit?
    I suspect that his would have been carried over to the F3 belts also...
    I'm just saying that you might want to check this out a bit.
    The 1330 engine has the same front sprocket as the 998 engine. So no need to change front sprocket. In fact there is no other front sprocket to go to unless you have something custom made.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad that I'm wrong about this one!
    Wasn't there a change to the belts, when the 1330s appeared?

If that's the case, and the newer belts can use the older sprockets:

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Any updated progress on this project??? larryd

Spyder Garage

Thumbs down Verified... THIS DOES NOT WORK

I can verify that while the rear sprocket and belt from the 89 toothed F3 fit the spyder without any problems; this upgrade as of now will not work. I did the swap on my friends 2015 RT LTD and it was a cinch... 1 hour 28 mins to do it, but it throws a plethora of codes such as P0730 ( incorrect gear ratio). The local BRP shop worked hard for the owner of the bike and spent many hours over a whole week trying everything such as programming the F3 info into the RT's computer but to no avail... We have one last avenue to explore and thats through a BRP engineer who works with the snowmobile division who has ties with a person we know that races sleds and helps test BRP products that are in development stages.

Spyder Garage

On the F3, there is a setting in BUDS to allow use of either rear sprocket. So far I have not seen that option available on RTs.

Without the correct calibration, its not going to work.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It only makes sense that the F3 can run either sprocket: it already does!
    We just need to get BRP to see the logic in offering the "sprocket option" in the RT also...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Just my thoughts...I would think there is a tone wheel somewhere that is counting pulses per wheel speed...When this 89 tooth sprocket change was made to the RT the ECM is seeing to many pulses per revolution of the rear sprocket??? If there was a way to have that tone wheel send the same count after the sprocket change the ECM wouldn't know the difference???

I half understand how these things work, but I'm NOT smart enough to know what to do to make it happen...

larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's taking it's reading from the ABS equipment on the rear wheel.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I can verify that while the rear sprocket and belt from the 89 toothed F3 fit the spyder without any problems; this upgrade as of now will not work. I did the swap on my friends 2015 RT LTD and it was a cinch... 1 hour 28 mins to do it, but it throws a plethora of codes such as P0730 ( incorrect gear ratio). The local BRP shop worked hard for the owner of the bike and spent many hours over a whole week trying everything such as programming the F3 info into the RT's computer but to no avail... We have one last avenue to explore and thats through a BRP engineer who works with the snowmobile division who has ties with a person we know that races sleds and helps test BRP products that are in development stages.

gmctech, Did you ever get this conversion to work??? Its winter time here in PA and I'd love to get this done to my RT over the winter...You can PM or e-mail me @ LBDemay@verizon.net

THANK YOU, larryd

Spyder Garage

Revisiting an old thread.

This can now be made to work. (simple programming change - no, not by dealer or BUDS)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyd_Piper View Post

This can now be made to work. (simple programming change - no, not by dealer or BUDS)
    I'm VERY interested in doing this to my 2014 RTS...PLEASE tell me more...THANK YOU, larryd

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Spyd_Piper View Post

Yup.... We just had the ECM fiddled with and now it works perfectly. also had the police style quick start function programmed in

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default THANK YOU gmctech

Yup.... We just had the ECM fiddled with and now it works perfectly. also had the police style quick start function programmed in
    I am getting ready to order the parts to go this route with my 14 RTS...

THANK YOU gmctech for this UPDATE...