Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default TRIKES = 3 WHEELS

JUST READ THIS... http://www.latimes.com/business/auto...ry.html#page=1
    PRETTY INTERESTING, BUT I STILL DO NOT CONSIDER EITHER A HARLEY/HONDA TRIKE or A SLINGSHOT TO BE IN THE SAME CLASS AS OUR SPYDERS....
    DAN P
    EASLEY, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

The writer appears to have done minimal research . . . "The four vehicles in the Spyder line have base prices from $14,999 to $23,199" . . .

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Did an RT Limited ever start @$23,199.00??????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

" . . . isn't a motorcycle at all" ????

That may be true of the Slingshot, but not the Spyder or TriG.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

You have to read carefully - he's using the base RS and base RT prices. Fairly decent article, and, thankfully he left out the VW and similar powered vehicles...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default Same-o-same-o....

Hey..!! What about the Elio..?? still say they need to give them a class of their own and leave us out of it.
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Is the Elio really coming to the market??
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

How good are you at holding your breath?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    Hey..!! What about the Elio..?? still say they need to give them a class of their own and leave us out of it.
    Elio now has 362 days and counting to keep their promises to the public concerning manufacture and sales to the customers who have made their orders and deposits.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PrairieSpyder View Post
    " . . . isn't a motorcycle at all" ????

That may be true of the Slingshot, but not the Spyder or TriG.
    You are incorrect.The true definition of a motorcycle is a 2 wheeler which you can lean.In all other countries it is referred to as a Motorbike bicycle 2 wheels. America simply refers to the same thing as a motorcycle.I rode motorcycles a Goldwing long distance for years as well as many miles on an RT.The Spyder does not ride or behave like a motorcycle at all.It is a 3 wheel trike.BRP state quite clearly that the Spyder is not a motorcycle does not behave like a motorcycle and in fact refer to it as a roadster which is also somewhat incorrect as I would describe a Slingshot or TRex 3 wheel trikes more as a roadster.
    Last edited by Ivorspyder; 01-03-2015 at 03:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default AGREE...?

Quote Originally Posted by Ivorspyder View Post
    You are incorrect.The true definition of a motorcycle is a 2 wheeler which you can lean.In all other countries it is referred to as a Motorbike bicycle 2 wheels. America simply refers to the same thing as a motorcycle.I rode motorcycles a Goldwing long distance for years as well as many miles on an RT.The Spyder does not ride or behave like a motorcycle at all.It is a 3 wheel trike.BRP state quite clearly that the Spyder is not a motorcycle does not behave like a motorcycle and in fact refer to it as a roadster which is also somewhat incorrect as I would describe a Slingshot or TRex 3 wheel trikes more as a roadster.
    IVOR...
    I SOMEWHAT AGREE WITH YOU...
    yes, the Slingshot & T-Rex are absolutely 'roadsters' in my dictionary...
    but my dictionary classifies the SPYD3R as: tons of FUN....
    i don't really care what BRP or anyone else calls the SPYD3R, to me it's FUN... and that's all i need to know...
    hope all is well my friend...
    Dan P
    EAsley, SC
    SPYD3R

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonrider View Post
    Is the Elio really coming to the market??

Elio now has 362 days and counting to keep their promises to the public concerning manufacture and sales to the customers who have made their orders and deposits.

I am not going to hold my breath either. They have been changing the production dates pretty much on a yearly basis.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

I somewhat disagree, as the definition of a motorcycle is dependent on who tries to define it. The definition according to NHTSA is
    "Motorcycle means a motor vehicle with motive power having a seat or saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground."

If you ryde like there's no tomorrow, there won't be any
    Accidents hurt - safety doesn't

Spyder Garage

I don't care which definition you live by, a Spyder is not a true motorcycle. I like my spyder a lot, but it's not a motorcycle, it's a trike. Technically it's a reverse trike! On the flip side a Slingshot is not either. It's a freaking three wheeled car (Batmobile)!

Spyder Garage

Having ridden motorcycles since 1968, I will respectfully and partially disagree. I consider trikes (Spyders, Goldwing trikes, Tri-Glides, trike conversions, etc) to be motorcycles. One sits in/on the saddle, uses the same controls as a two-wheel motorcycle and is out in the air. The only thing a trike doesn't do that a two-wheel motorcycle does is lean. I also consider motorcycle side car combos to be a motorcycle even though they don't lean.

Now, vehicles like the Slingshot, T-rex and other three wheeled cars I don't consider motorcycles. Those I would call a roadster.

Others will disagree with me and that's just fine. To each his own. But when I'm riding my Spyder, I consider myself to be riding a motorcycle.

YMMV
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Did an RT Limited ever start @$23,199.00??????????????????????????????????????? ???????????????????????
    Definitely not canadian prices!!!
    2012 RT , stock Lava Bronze

Spyder Garage

I don't care what anyone else calls it.

I just call it a blast to ride.

Spyder Garage

I call mine a Tri-Rod

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Smile

I see this will forever be a topic that different people fall on different sides of the fence about. I personally work at referring to my Spyder as a trike and not a bike. I don't really buy the ideal that not leaning in a curve is what qualifies anything as a motorcycle. Bicycles and scooters lean in curves too, lol. However, I have a LOT of respect for certain traditions and I believe that traditionalist will always say a motorcycle is only two wheels(and everyone in California where the Spyder is not classified as a motorcycle) and I have no problem with that. No more than I do with people who think Harley is the best in the world or those who feel it is Honda or those who feel that the Spyder is the best thing ever and so on. In my opinion all of you are right. Because once you say "I don't care what anyone says" you have already made it clear that the only thing that matters is how you feel about the subject so enjoy your ride and your opinion and know that while you may not be right, there is not one person who can actually prove you wrong no matter where you stand on the subject.

...y'all stay safe out there on or in whatever you ride, I think we can all agree on that.

Grady Brown III
    President & Founder
    For The Love of Laila...and your baby too
    www.ftllm712.com
    Check out the Events page at www.ftllm712.com for upcoming events

We are Riding to save lives!!!

Facebook

Twitter

Spyder Garage

I worry about what legal complications will arise from the definitions calling the slingshot a bike! Bucket seats and steering wheel,side by sides eating not even with side car!? It will mess with our numbers affect our safety ,insurance rates, and public awareness. Not helpful but hurtful, heads up.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

arntufun

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    I worry about what legal complications will arise from the definitions calling the slingshot a bike! Bucket seats and steering wheel,side by sides eating not even with side car!? It will mess with our numbers affect our safety ,insurance rates, and public awareness. Not helpful but hurtful, heads up.

Can you explain why you think the Slingshot is hurtful in the categories you mentioned. ?????? I'm very curious to understand your reasoning's behind your post.
    Last edited by arntufun; 01-04-2015 at 06:40 AM.

Spyder Garage

45 years from mini bike to homeade cart from bed frame to bridgestone 90 to honda 305 scrambler to kawasak500 death machine to triumph to Goldwing to almost every HD model produced & now an awes o me Spyder
    Ive had fun---'
    Enjoy the ride Ladies & gentelmen
    Enjoy because it goes by fast

Spyder Garage

BTW
    I call it New adventure
    Ive only got 300 mi so far
    But watch me catch up
    Yeee haw

Spyder Garage

European ferry operators don't care much what we call our Spyders, their ticket prices reflect the deck space a vehicle occupies. A Spyder has a deck footprint similar to a small car. Last August my Spyder picked up a surcharge £250 ($400) over that charged on a regular motorcycle ticket from Plymouth (UK) to Santander return. (Spain).

Toll roads in France and Spain have sensors in the roadway which are able tell the difference between a motorcycle and a car. The Spyder triggers a car's width and picks up the higher charge. It used to bother me but I really don't care any more. (That's my 1st lie of 2015).

My Spyder's UK registration document describes it as a "998cc tricycle". Can't argue with the logic of that, it is what it is.
    Last edited by GeoffCee; 01-04-2015 at 07:52 AM.

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffCee View Post
    European ferry operators don't care much what we call our Spyders, their ticket prices reflect the deck space a vehicle occupies. A Spyder has a deck footprint similar to a small car. Last August my Spyder picked up a surcharge £250 ($400) over that charged on a regular motorcycle ticket from Plymouth (UK) to Santander return. (Spain).

Toll roads in France and Spain have sensors in the roadway which are able tell the difference between a motorcycle and a car. The Spyder triggers a car's width and picks up the higher charge. It used to bother me but I really don't care any more. (That's my 1st lie of 2015).

My Spyder's UK registration document describes it as a "998cc tricycle". Can't argue with the logic of that, it is what it is.
    I took the tube/train/tunnel (not sure what it's called) from London to Paris a long time ago. Does that by chance have room for vehicles? If so, is the charge just as expensive?

When I hear ferry, it seems like it'd take forever to get there.
    Last edited by wyliec; 01-04-2015 at 08:26 AM.