Spyder Garage

Default I Traded My Spyder

For those of you contemplating selling or trading your Spyder this may be of value to you...or not. I had my 2012 RT A/C for about 18 months and 12,000 miles. Other than an orange screen a couple of times (both times it was fine after restart) it was trouble free. I originally got it because the wife said that was all she would go 2 up on. We had some good rides but lately I am on it by myself 3/4's of the time. If it's just me I want something lighter, faster, quicker, more agile and something I can ride with some friends who have BMW's. Before the announcement of what BRP would be offering for the 2015 lineup I had hopes of a lighter and faster RSS with a detuned Nanny. I would have traded the RT for that. But alas as we all know the F3 was the new offering. Many of you like it and that's fine. I think it's ugly and that it is not a handling machine in the way of an RSS. It is a cruiser and will appeal to that crowd. I don't like cruisers, never have. Again, if that is your cup of tea go for it. By not offering something sportier BRP lost me. For a few months I have been reading articles on various websites about a new 2015 offering from Yamaha (I have always been a Yamaha man) called the FJ-09. The description got my attention. The description of the FJ-09 read as if it was designed just for me - comfortable riding position, lightweight (463 lbs) ABS, traction control, 6 speed, 847cc triple putting out 115 hp. All of this on a machine that could hang with or beat a sportbike in the twisties all things being equal as to the respective riders. All this for $10,495.00. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Spyder but it has so much more performance and it's easier/cheaper to maintain and might I say - more reliable. I went to the Yamaha dealer who is not a Spyder dealer and put a deposit down on the FJ-09 as it was not yet in showrooms. The local Can Am dealer had previously offered me only $12,500.00 in trade for a new 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300. I went to a non Can Am dealer who also sold Yamaha's and he offered me $13,500.00. My FJ-09 arrived Monday morning and I picked it up that afternoon. I got the first one in the Knoxville, TN area. Because of weather I have only put about a hundred miles on it thus far but it is a hoot. It is everything the websites said it was. Yamaha hit a home run. The Yamaha dealer is going to keep the Spyder and sell it on his showroom in lieu of seling it to a Can Am dealer as they don't want them. Since the dealer also sells Goldwing and Triumph trikes he will have trike clientele coming thru the showroom. I'll still pop in here from time to see what's going on just like some others who no longer have Spyders.

Spyder Garage

good luck with your new toy - I thought I could go back on two, after I sold my 10. However, after 10 months, I had put a total of 420 miles on the bike, so I went back to the Spyder, putting 1400 miles on it in 3 months.

All it took was one commute in stop & go traffic on the freeway. Tippy toeing and a tired clutch hand was all it took...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Enjoy your new toy!
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Congratulations ....I was just reading about the Yamaha the other day. It sounds like a nice package. Enjoy!
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

It sounds like things have worked out to your satisfaction. I'm glad for you.
    Ride safely!
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Raknid View Post
    Congratulations ....I was just reading about the Yamaha the other day. It sounds like a nice package. Enjoy!
    Yes, and Yamaha has some other bikes for 2015 that should be a hit.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

No matter what you're on; you'll always be family to us!
    The best of luck with your new ride, and...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

good luck and ride safe
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm glad you found the right bike for you.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I have been a Yamaha man having owned 5 different models from V-Max to Road Star. I'm glad you still have the ability to ride 2 wheels and are enjoying your new ride.

I wish you many happy miles on it.
    2008 GS SM5, Full Moon Silver
    2007 Piaggio MP3 - 250cc

Spyder Garage

The new bike sounds sweet! Enjoy the road.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Default Same story

You and I have almost the same story, but I'm keeping my 2013 RTS. My wife likes to go out on it on the weekends and some evenings, but I found that I was driving it every day more and more for local stuff. Started looking into a Yamaha FJR and found it to be a really nice bike. I'm 6'6" and needed a bike I could be comfy on and the FJR fit that bill. But I did not want to pay the $12,000 for a new bike. So I got a 2007 FJR im really great shape and low milage. I really like the bike and it will work great for me and I only payed $6000 for it. So I end up with the best of both worlds for me. Now all I need is some spring time weather and all will be good.

Spyder Garage

Sounds like you found the ride that's right for you, Enjoy!
    2014 RT-Ltd , Cognac

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by dndfindley View Post
    For those of you contemplating selling or trading your Spyder this may be of value to you...or not. I had my 2012 RT A/C for about 18 months and 12,000 miles. Other than an orange screen a couple of times (both times it was fine after restart) it was trouble free. I originally got it because the wife said that was all she would go 2 up on. We had some good rides but lately I am on it by myself 3/4's of the time. If it's just me I want something lighter, faster, quicker, more agile and something I can ride with some friends who have BMW's. Before the announcement of what BRP would be offering for the 2015 lineup I had hopes of a lighter and faster RSS with a detuned Nanny. I would have traded the RT for that. But alas as we all know the F3 was the new offering. Many of you like it and that's fine. I think it's ugly and that it is not a handling machine in the way of an RSS. It is a cruiser and will appeal to that crowd. I don't like cruisers, never have. Again, if that is your cup of tea go for it. By not offering something sportier BRP lost me. For a few months I have been reading articles on various websites about a new 2015 offering from Yamaha (I have always been a Yamaha man) called the FJ-09. The description got my attention. The description of the FJ-09 read as if it was designed just for me - comfortable riding position, lightweight (463 lbs) ABS, traction control, 6 speed, 847cc triple putting out 115 hp. All of this on a machine that could hang with or beat a sportbike in the twisties all things being equal as to the respective riders. All this for $10,495.00. It doesn't have all the bells and whistles of the Spyder but it has so much more performance and it's easier/cheaper to maintain and might I say - more reliable. I went to the Yamaha dealer who is not a Spyder dealer and put a deposit down on the FJ-09 as it was not yet in showrooms. The local Can Am dealer had previously offered me only $12,500.00 in trade for a new 2014 Yamaha FJR 1300. I went to a non Can Am dealer who also sold Yamaha's and he offered me $13,500.00. My FJ-09 arrived Monday morning and I picked it up that afternoon. I got the first one in the Knoxville, TN area. Because of weather I have only put about a hundred miles on it thus far but it is a hoot. It is everything the websites said it was. Yamaha hit a home run. The Yamaha dealer is going to keep the Spyder and sell it on his showroom in lieu of seling it to a Can Am dealer as they don't want them. Since the dealer also sells Goldwing and Triumph trikes he will have trike clientele coming thru the showroom. I'll still pop in here from time to see what's going on just like some others who no longer have Spyders.
    I was looking at this bike, lemme know your review. You pay MSRP?

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

My son has the FJ and loves it !!!!!!! byt my ST1300 is nicer for me anyway,

Spyder Garage

on your new purchase. Sorry to see that the is being traded. Yamaha makes good stuff. My very first bike was a Yamaha and my first big touring bike was also a Yamaha (Venture). Many happy miles from both.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

If I rode only by myself, I wouldn't ride a Spyder either. It really doesn't matter what you do to the design. A three wheeler is never going to perform like a sport tourer. Heck, my RT doesn't even come close to the performance of a Goldwing. If it were shopping for a personal bike, I would look at the ST1300, FJR1300 and Concours. The FJ-09 is too small and doesn't carry enough stuff for long distance touring.

Spyder Garage

Default Congrats..!!

really glad you got a better trade and for something you want. Hope it is all you are looking for... keep in touch cause spyders will ryde with you anyway....
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SAPD911 View Post
    I was looking at this bike, lemme know your review. You pay MSRP?
    Thus far with only a couple hundred miles I love it It does everything right and does it have the power. 115 hp @ 463 lbs. Taking curves without having to muscle it around brings back the grins I remember from a while back. As to MSRP - yes I paid sticker and from what I'm reading on the FJ-09 forum that's the way it's gonna be for a while. One dealer (don't remember the city) advertised one for a thousand below sticker and then added enough fee's to cover the thousand when it was purchased. Go figure. I'm not the type who gets his jollies off by negotiating down to the last nickel. That's a hassle and it can leave a bad taste with both you and the dealer. As long as I know I'm not being cheated I have no problem with the dealer making a profit - that's what they are in business for - not to give away their products.

Spyder Garage

Default Honda ST 1300

As to the Honda ST 1300 - it's very nice bike but everything I read says it is growing long in the tooth - long overdue for an extensive update plus price wise they are on the upper end of their segment.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    If I rode only by myself, I wouldn't ride a Spyder either. It really doesn't matter what you do to the design. A three wheeler is never going to perform like a sport tourer. Heck, my RT doesn't even come close to the performance of a Goldwing. If it were shopping for a personal bike, I would look at the ST1300, FJR1300 and Concours. The FJ-09 is too small and doesn't carry enough stuff for long distance touring.
    I agree...mostly. Whereas the FJ-09 doesn't have the luggage capacity of the other bikes you reference it does have some and if a top case were added it would be adequate. As to size - it's not as small as you would think. It sits high. I ordered mine sight unseen based only on website reviews. I knew it was based on the FZ-09 which is small and I was a bit worried. When I went to pick it up and saw it for the first time sitting on the center stand I breathed a sigh of relief - it's not small. You should look into one. The other bikes you mention are very good bikes (the ST 1300 is a little dated) but they are also much heavier.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    really glad you got a better trade and for something you want. Hope it is all you are looking for... keep in touch cause spyders will ryde with you anyway....
    Thanks. I will continue to pop into Spyderlovers from time to time.

Spyder Garage

As to the Honda ST 1300 - it's very nice bike but everything I read says it is growing long in the tooth - long overdue for an extensive update plus price wise they are on the upper end of their segment.
    I agree that the ST1300 is dated but it is still best in class in my opinion. At one time I tried them all and I owned a Concours for several years. You will notice I didn't mention the BMW R1200RT. My opinion is that it uses dated engine technology, no matter how many other high tech bells and whistles it includes.