Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Nothing spectacular just making it mine.

I bought it used a month or so ago and while its been crappy weather, I did get enough riding in to pass the state driving test.

I added the BajaRon's anti sway bar and the links, by taking off the frunk, a piece of cake. These are the videos that helped most. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...t=BajaRon+Sway

I added 3 power plugs, 2 in the frunk and one on the side. Needed a radar det. so used a Rom X-grip and another one for the GPS or phone. I wired them hot with a switch on the dash

The blue screwdriver on the handlebar is my answer to get the cluster out without removing the windshield.

Added speakers to my helmet that connect to my bluetooth on the phone or the GPS.

Waiting for an actuator to electrify the frunk. And waiting for the LEDs to be seen easier. Ordered the HDPE stuff to make a bump plate, will post pixs if that works out.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by pitzerwm; 12-20-2014 at 10:31 PM. Reason: add video link

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Build a garage for it as no room in the regular garage. Due to limited space, just enough to park it in, will work on it in the other garage. Installed the opener behind the cluster and a push button switch on the dash.

One of the hardest decisions you'll ever face in life is choosing whether to walk away or try harder.

Spyder Garage

Also added a Throttle Mate, here are the instructions that I found were needed.

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post916455

Spyder Garage

Looking very good

we love to customize them

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by pitzerwm View Post
    Build a garage for it as no room in the regular garage. Due to limited space, just enough to park it in, will work on it in the other garage. Installed the opener behind the cluster and a push button switch on the dash.
    You have been very busy adding some nice accessories. Cool siding on your new garage.

Spyder Garage

Default It's yours now..!!

you even built it a home...great work with the farkels..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by chuck gross View Post
    You have been very busy adding some nice accessories. Cool siding on your new garage.
    Thanks, I saw something like it and I tried it out in my living room. There was no way that I would try that small pieces on the garage, or maybe ever again. It's like putting a puzzle together without the picture. The middle "art work" is a screen that splits in half to expose the TV.

Spyder Garage

Default DIY BumpSkid and a frunk electric actuator

The weather finally got above freezing and I got my supplies. Being frugal/cheap/whatever, I was sold by other's post about the value of the BumpSkid. Not wanting to spend $200, I tracked down the HDPE needed, figuring "how hard could it be". Well, I'm glad that I only needed one. You can see the pixs below of the process. Not having any CNC unit, just normal tools, it didn't come out a slick as Spyderpops'.

I didn't have an easy way to make the forward brackets so I decided to epoxy a piece of wood in the front and then just screw the front down to the wood. I just finished it and don't plan on running into anything to test that the epoxy will hold the wood in place.

I read in another post that the back of the bumpskid didn't lay up to the bottom of the tupperware. On a 2011 RSS the bracket that holds the original plate is to "tall" for it to eliminate the gap. If you removed the old bracket, and screwed it into bottom of the frunk, you would need to have it stop in front of the anti-sway bar. I also decided not to have the back of the bumpskid to flare out. I did use a round over router bit on the perimeter.

Spyder Garage

Default 2011 RSS Frunk actuator

I think that any door lock actuator would work, although JIm used a Spal actuator and it might be better. The frunk locking mech. is elevated and do you need to elevate your actuator. Somehow during this process the key no longer unlocks it. I also added a wire from the mech. routed to the "check oil" panel, just in case the actuator quits working.

Electrically I wired it thru the left turn signal power before the push button gets it's power.

Spyder Garage

Default Backup Camera

Reading where others had done this, I decided that was a good idea. Being an old fart, I really can't turn around and look behind me that well.

I picked up a Pyle PLCM7200 at Walmart and I see them on Amazon even cheaper. Having the bigger is better mentality, I got the one (monitor) that you clip on your rear view mirror in the car. As you can see by the pix it is too big for the bike. It is designed to mount the camera on one's licence plate mount. Looking this over, there were issues, one, it covered the year/month stickers and there is the licence plate light that misses with the picture. So I placed it under the seat. I did find that the open lens on the bottom of the brake lights also messed with the picture at night. So you can see that I painted the bottom of the lens. The quality at night was good, and you can see by the pix that daytime quality is great. For some reason you don't need to hookup the "backup light" (green wire). That puts a 12V+ on it. I ran it thru a off/on switch, so I can run it all of the time if I want. I'm thinking that with it on, you can see the traffic behind you. You can also plug in a DVD if you wanted to.

The monitor has "clips on the back, the bottom ones spring loaded. I made a "mount" from wood and used small L brackets and mounted that on the plastic piece above the safety plague. The wiring was nothing, just zip tie it so it stays put. I ran the cable that goes to monitor into the Frunk. This way I can "unclip" it from the mount and put in the frunk, when parked in public.

I just did this so haven't any real testing, it still too damn cold to ride, for me anyway.

Spyder Garage

Default Highway Pegs, the cheap version

I decided that I would put pegs on before I did floorboards, in case that is all that I needed.

These are the pegs: http://www.ebay.com/itm/271762417494...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
    CRASH BAR ENGINE GUARD HIGHWAY PEGS FOOTPEGS HARLEY UNIVERSAL

The rest I had laying around. The square tube was thin wall, but probably would be better with thicker wall. I used self treading sheet metal screws to attach to center frame. Drilled holes in outer part so I could screw the max into the frame. (3/8" head) I had to pre-drill the holes in the frame to get them started. I put a piece of oak lumber into the ends about 6" in, just to support the uprights.

The uprights are 3/4" PVC irrigation pipe(thick stuff). Inside is a brass tube and 1/2" copper water tubing, this to add strength. Ran a 3/8" treads all through the uprights and secured with nuts and washers.

Since I had no idea what I was doing, I might need to move them forward a little. Because of the thin wall square tubing, there is a little flex at the ends. You really don't have any weight on it, so I'm not expecting a problem. Worse case, I'll switch it out for a thicker wall or might just weld an angle iron to the center frame and to the thin wall. If I went with thick wall tubing, I'd probably use a 3/4" black pipe and weld it to the ends.

Spyder Garage

I think that you are having too much fun doing all the Farkles.

Looking Good

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Finally did my floorboards

Well I came up with a different approach to the floorboards. As you read above I made my own BumpSkid with 3/8" HDPE (which is like Teflon) and I had a piece left over. I was working with a couple of the guys here, 3willie, coz and ahh-cool, thinking metal and fabing them like they did. Then it struck me that the HDPE is probably bullet proof and would be easier than metal. The end result was to drop the rear with a 2"x1" oak block and 2 bolts into the foot peg. I drilled new holes. I then put the rubber top of the pegs, by trimming the back of it to accommodate the nuts and just using sheetrock screws thru the old screw holes into the oak block. The front is attached to the metal frame under the radiator on the right and whatever is on the left, with self taping screws. I reinforced the outside edge with a piece of 1/2" angle iron, which is more to keep my foot from slipping off. The HDPE is really slippery.

I haven't test drove it as its 2AM, but sitting on it feels really comfortable and solid. I might not even need the highway pegs as my feet reach
    into that "cove" under/behind the radiator.

Spyder Garage

Test drove my new floorboards today and they worked great. Plenty strong enough to stand on them, although thankfully I only weight 185. The HDPE is slick but I don't find that as an issue, the angle iron on the edge, holds my foot in place fine. It did take me a few stops to figure out where the brake petal was. IMO if you want floorboards, this is the way to go. If you have a plastics shop around you they have scraps really cheap.

Spyder Garage

Default More LEDs and a main buss line

Thanks to Blueknight911, I found the LEDs that work on the mud flaps and the rear fender for more visibility from the back. Also an LED strip for turn signals on the fenders.

The RED LEDs on the mud flaps work as running lights and turn signals. The RED LEDs on the rear fender are running and brakes.

The yellow strip LEDs lay in the groove on the fender and are wired into the turn signals. They didn't come with adhesive on the back so I used epoxy. I hope they outlast me.

I also got some 5W LEDs and replace the tip lights, I'm not sure that they are brighter, but I now have plenty of light in the front.

I decided to stay out of the bike's fuse block and installed my own. I ran a #8 from the battery and then branched out to power the individual fuses. I'm not sure this is the best way to do it, but it works for me. I used zip ties to secure it to the frame. I cleaned up the rat's nest after the pixs.

In the pictures the flash made the saddlebag reflectors look like LEDs they are not.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/3qjv6wggsj..._0805.MP4?dl=0 Sorry about the amateur video.

Spyder Garage

Default Another little issue that I think I have solved foot heat

After putting in the floor boards there was heat on my right foot. I found a gap between the scoop and the floorboard. I just used a couple of vinyl scraps and spray adhesive. Seems to look ok and works.

Spyder Garage

Default Floor Boards & Highway Pegs

I got a 2014 RTS and the previous owner was taller than I and added a Ultimate seat, which I think puts me back 2" or up. Anyway, not wanting to tear into the seat, I decided to raise the floor boards. I used 3/4" plywood and after getting it all together, I realized that it would be easy to add highway pegs, which I already had. The upright is made up of a 3/4" PVC pipe, with a piece of brass pipe and a piece of 1/2" copper pipe for stability and a 3/8" threads all, with nuts and washers.

I'm not going to stand on them, so I didn't need them any stronger. I'll be testing the new height and the pegs in a few.

NOTE: I also added a 1 1/2" spacer on the brake petal.

Last edited by pitzerwm; 06-13-2015 at 12:02 PM.

Spyder Garage

That's a lot of custom farkles.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Added RT Scoops on a 2014

Thanks to Doc Riverside's great instructions, (see another post at RT Shop Talk) I got from the dealer the kit, it list for $67 but dealer wanted a lot more, but refused to pay more than the BRP price. It does come with 2 metal braces that I don't think you need to add. And 2 insulation pieces that I didn't bother with either.

One person had an issue with BRP air wings, but while a bit limited in adjustment, still install/work ok.

Spyder Garage

Did a few more farkles. SM10 dongle, thanks to Doc Riverside and James Thorn. Spy 5000M alarm thanks to Bob Finless. New rear tire thanks to Deanna77 and Bob finless.

Spyder Garage

Added passenger armrest.

Spyder Garage

Awesome work!
    Live, Love, and Ride! God Bless!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Congrats on all your farkles! And on all the fun you're having!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Cool

I like DIY jtpollock

Spyder Garage

I love your "out of the box" thinking and creativity. Thank you for keeping us posted on your ideas and progress.

Happy TRAils/NSD
    Paul

2012 RT L
    AMA 25 years Life Member
    TRA
    PGR
    Rhino Riders Plate #83
    Venturers #78
    TOI

2012 Spyder RT L , Baja Ron Plugs and wires Lava Bronze