Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Cat Bypass Installed (with Photos & Sound Clips)

I just now picked up my Spyder from the dealer shop where it had been for the past 12 days getting a state inspection, routine maintenance, warranty work to replace the air compressor and a faulty hose in my ACS system, the installation of a Signal Dynamics Wig-Wag brake light modulator, and the installation of the Cat Bypass.

As part of my campaign to eliminate the excess heat on my 2013 RTL, I purchased a Lamonster Cat Bypass from Pitbull Powersports. I had previously wrapped the entire length of both exhaust headers with exhaust tape, and added bunches of heat shielding and reflective heat tape under the tupperware to eliminate heat on the fuel tank and coming up around the seat and glove box. (More details HERE.) That made a lot of difference, but the Cat Bypass was the obvious next step in this process. An equally important objective, in eliminating the catalytic converter, was to lessen the problems resulting from fuel boiling in the fuel tank - a characteristic problem for the 2013 RT. The fuel tank is located directly above the catalytic converter. Cats normally operate in the range of 800-1200° F, and gasoline begins to boil at only 140-160° F. When the catalytic converter is right under the fuel tank in an enclosed space, you can easily see the problem. Before having the bypass pipe installed I also wrapped that with exhaust tape, like the headers, to further reduce the heat.

I thought I'd share some initial comments about the Bypass, along with some before and after photo's and sound clips for those who may be interested. Since it is now December, I won't be able to determine the additional heat reduction until next summer, but I can share some initial observations.

I replaced this catalytic converter.....

with this bypass pipe....

They guys at the shop were impressed with how sturdy and professionally made the Lamonster Bypass pipe is. The things you see at the ends of the pipe are new gaskets that Pitbull also sent along.

The first difference I immediately noticed, upon picking up the Spyder today, was a more pleasing throatier exhaust sound. It's now deeper and just a little louder without being obnoxiously loud. (I still have the stock muffler.) The links below contain .WAV audio files.

Here's what it sounded like before the Bypass was installed.

Here's what it sounds like AFTER the Cat Bypass installation.

In addition to the nicer sound, I was pleasantly surprised on my ride home today with some additional power in the lower gears. The Spyder is a bit more "peppy" now. I suppose that is due to the elimination of the back pressure being caused by the catalytic converter in the exhaust line.
    Last edited by robmorg; 03-29-2015 at 02:13 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link
    May ALL your roads be beautiful
    Greisemer's Mill Bridge, Oley, PA
    2013 RT Limited , Lava Bronze with Antler Brown Seat

Spyder Garage

I was under the impression that dealers would not install them

Spyder Garage

Default what dealer was it mine is next just what i need !!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    I just now picked up my c

he dealer shop where it had been for the past 12 days getting a state inspection, routine maintenance, warranty work to replace the air compressor and a faulty hose in my ACS system, the installation of a Signal Dynamics Wig-Wag brake light modulator, and the installation of the Cat Bypass.

As part of my campaign to eliminate the excess heat on my 2013 RTL, I purchased a Lamonster Cat Bypass from Pitbull Powersports. I had previously wrapped the entire length of both exhaust headers with exhaust tape, and added bunches of heat shielding and reflective heat tape under the tupperware to eliminate heat on the fuel tank and coming up around the seat and glove box. That made a lot of difference, but the Cat Bypass was the obvious next step in this process. Before having the bypass pipe installed I also wrapped that with exhaust tape, like the headers.

I thought I'd share some initial comments about the Bypass, along with some before and after photo's and sound clips for those who may be interested. Since it is now December, I won't be able to determine the additional heat reduction until next summer, but I can share some initial observations.

I replaced this catalytic converter.....

with this bypass pipe....

They guys at the shop were impressed with how sturdy and professionally made the Lamonster Bypass pipe is. The things you see at the ends of the pipe are new gaskets that Pitbull also sent along.

The first difference I immediately noticed, upon picking up the Spyder today, was a more pleasing throatier exhaust sound. It's now deeper and just a little louder without being obnoxiously loud. (I still have the stock muffler.) The links below contain .WAV audio files.

Here's what it sounded like before the Bypass was installed.

Here's what it sounds like AFTER the Cat Bypass installation.

In addition to the nicer sound, I was pleasantly surprised on my ride home today with some additional power in the lower gears. The Spyder is a bit more "peppy" now. I suppose that is due to the elimination of the back pressure being caused by the catalytic converter in the exhaust line.
    What dealer is doing the right thing for its customers'min

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    I was under the impression that dealers would not install them
    It depends on the dealer, and to some extent, on your state laws concerning requirements for emission control components on motorcycles. Luckily for me, PA does not require a catalytic converter on a motorcycle. Obviously, Pitbull in Missouri installs them. More and more dealers are beginning to install them. I think it may have something to do with their feeling the threat of sharing in the liability that BRP is currently experiencing due to the excess heat with the pre-2014 RT's and ST's. My dealer has been working with me for some time to resolve the heat problem (although mostly at my expense).

If your dealer will NOT install a Cat Bypass, and you cannot do it yourself, it's not that hard to find someone else who can. It's a relatively simple job for anyone who has worked with exhaust systems before. All you need to do is be able to lift the Spyder to work under it. Pitbull (or any dealer) sells the new gaskets you need for a couple of dollars.
    Last edited by robmorg; 12-13-2014 at 09:02 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Does it effect anything with computer (buds). Might be a question for Lamont

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmccaffrey View Post
    Does it effect anything with computer (buds). Might be a question for Lamont
    No, the onboard computer (and therefore BUDS) is completely oblivious to the Cat Bypass. And it requires no changes in the mixture ratio, etc. However, as mentioned earlier, you do get a bit more power in the lower gears.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robmorg View Post
    However, as mentioned earlier, you do get a bit more power in the lower gears.
    I believe the bypass did increase low end power some on my bike also, but it's hard to tell how much since I don't have any objective measurements before and after. Your description of the sound change is right on from my observation. However, unlike you I wasn't thrilled at all with the increased loudness! I guess quiet is one reason I loved my Goldwing so much. They're as quiet as a Cadillac. I wish my Spyder was the same.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I guess quiet is one reason I loved my Goldwing so much. They're as quiet as a Cadillac. I wish my Spyder was the same.
    Well, that's the difference between a horizontally opposed six and a V twin. . I was never on the Goldwing, but I did spend an afternoon on a Honda Valkarie once. I remember being impressed with both the smoothness and the quietness of it for such a large bike.
    Last edited by robmorg; 12-14-2014 at 01:44 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

"Two hundred and thirteen"?...[emoji23] [emoji12]
    Nice sound clips! There is a sound difference for sure, but not a crazy increase in sound. The bypass should also make a nice improvement with heat in the summer too.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by DrewNJ View Post
    "Two hundred and thirteen"?...[emoji23] [emoji12]
    Nice sound clips! There is a sound difference for sure, but not a crazy increase in sound. The bypass should also make a nice improvement with heat in the summer too.
    Drew,

It took me a while to figure out what you were referring to with the "Two hundred thirteen". I made the "before" clip months ago, and the "after" clip just yesterday after picking up the bike. And I did it both times! I'm like the dyslexic agnostic, who lost faith in his Dog.

I agree that the sound is not "that much" louder - just a little bit. But I do enjoy the deeper sound. Sounds more like the cruisers that I used to ride. When I originally ordered the bypass pipe from Pitbull, the guy there told me it would make my Spyder sound more like a "real bike".

Last summer I did the ECM update (Warranty Bulletin 2013-9) which enrichened the fuel mixture at idle and slow speeds. While that did improve the heat a little (and make the engine run smoother) at slow speeds, it didn't do ANYTHING for the heat at normal riding speeds. Wrapping the headers and adding loads of heat shielding and reflective heat tape in strategic locations around the fuel tank and under the panels DID make a substantial difference. I'm optimistically hopeful the the wrapped Cat Bypass will add to what I've already done, to put an end to the heat problems for both the fuel and me, once and for all. I've never done anything about "right foot heat", as that has never bothered me much. But I think that will be addressed in the upcoming recall, whenever that happens.
    Last edited by robmorg; 12-14-2014 at 10:55 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

Default Cat Bypass questions

The cat on your RT, excuse me, the cat that was on your RT looks a lot like the one they put on the 2014 RS, do you know if its the same part or the part number?
    It does sound a lot less like a sewing machine and more like a bike with your bypass. Does the bypass void the warranty? any info is appreciated.
    Robbie
    Last edited by CoolSpyder2014; 09-14-2015 at 09:43 AM.
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

Robbie,

I don't know that the bypass pipe has a part number. It was designed by Lamontster and is sold by Pitbull Powersports in Springfield Missouri. It is available for your RS, but it will likely be slightly different than mine. Just give them a call and they will answer any questions you have.

The bypass pipe will not void your warranty except in the unlikely event that its installation is directly responsible for failure of some warrantied part. The bypass pipe is also "invisible" to the BUDS computer.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-14-2015 at 08:44 AM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

I'm posting this understanding that boiling fuel isn't a real nice thing to have.

FWIW:

Motor Vehicle: A motor vehicle is a self-propelled road vehicle, commonly wheeled, that does not operate on rails, such as trains or trams. The vehicle propulsion is provided by an engine or motor, usually by an internal combustion engine, or an electric motor, or some combination of the two, such as hybrid electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids. For legal purposes motor vehicles are often identified within a number of vehicle classes including cars, buses, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, light trucks and regular trucks. These classifications vary according to the legal codes of each country. ISO 3833:1977 is the standard for road vehicles types, terms and definitions. [1] Generally to avoid requiring handicapped persons from having to posess an operator's license to use one, or requiring tags and insurance, powered wheelchairs will be specifically excluded by law from being considered motor vehicles.

Applicable law: The act of removing a catalytic converter without replacing it with an approved replacement (known as "tampering") is illegal under federal law and is of great concern to EPA because of the high pollution levels that are emitted by vehicles without properly functioning emission controls. The original antitampering law was part of the Clean Air Act of 1970; it applied only to manufacturers and car dealers. The antitampering law was expanded by the 1977 Clean Air Act Amendments to apply to all automobile repair facilities, commercial mechanics, and fleet operators. And the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments (CAAA) broadened the tampering provision even further; it now applies to everyone, including car owners. Here is the text from the 1990 CAAA:
    "Section 288 – Enforcement: (b) TAMPERING WITH VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROLS –
    (1) Section 203(a)(3) (42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3)) is amended to read as follows:
    '(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or
    '(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use; or '
    (2) At the end of section 203(a) (42 U.S.C. 7522(a)) insert the following:
    'No action with respect to any device or element of design referred to in paragraph (3) shall be treated as a prohibited act under that paragraph if (i) the action is for the purpose of repair or replacement of the device or element, or is a necessary and temporary procedure to repair or replace any other item and the device or element is replaced upon completion of the procedure, and (ii) such action thereafter results in the proper functioning of the device or element referred to in paragraph (3). No action with respect to any device or element of design referred to in paragraph (3) shall be treated as a prohibited act under that paragraph if the action is for the purpose of a conversion of a motor vehicle for use of a clean alternative fuel (as defined in this title) and if such vehicle complies with the applicable standard under section 202 when operating on such fuel, and if in the case of a clean alternative fuel vehicle (as defined by rule by the Administrator), the device or element is replaced upon completion of the conversion procedure and such action results in proper functioning of the device or element when the motor vehicle operates on conventional fuel.'."
    The resale of a vehicle which has already had the catalytic converter removed is not specifically addressed by federal law. Therefore, the person who removed the converter violated federal law, but not necessarily the person who sold the vehicle. However, the sale of vehicles that have had the emission control system removed, disabled, or tampered with may be further governed by state or local laws.

Link: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/about/faq.htm#question13

Summary: This is a federal issue and not a state issue.

YMMV

Spyder Garage

Ah, thank Heaven for all the lofty federal regulators! What would we possibly do without them?

Spyder Garage

Default CAT Bypass

ROB, Thank you for the info. I also did some research on a OEM suppliers page for the Can Am Spyder 2013 RTL @ http://www.canampartsking.com/oempar...exhaust-system and found that this assembly is the identical part number for the 2014 Can Am Spyder RS on this page http://www.canampartsking.com/oempar...exhaust-system
    So, the part including the pipe bends, are identical. Also, I found that the O2 sensors are installed at the bend's of the header pipes, not in or aft of this assembly, that's why they do not report an issue to B.U.D.S., because as far as the computer is concerned, a condition does not exist. By the way this assembly is referred to by the Supplier as a Muffler assembly. So on a technicality, its not called a CAT. And I embrace technicality
    Last edited by CoolSpyder2014; 09-14-2015 at 12:44 PM.
    2014 RS+ , Excel 8.8 and NGK plugs Currently pearl white, Aircraft gray after rivets installed

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by CoolSpyder2014 View Post
    By the way this assembly is referred to by the Supplier as a Muffler assembly. So on a technicality, its not called a CAT. And I embrace technicality
    That's correct. It is actually referred to by BRP as the "Primary Muffler" (which makes the one it feeds into on the side of the bike a "secondary muffler", I guess). So technically, since it is a "muffler" and not a "catalytic converter", one could safely infer that would make the federal regs quoted above moot. Sometimes it's good to embrace technicality.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-14-2015 at 03:07 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link

Spyder Garage

This is why the Spyder does not have catalytic converter!
    There is no law against changing a MUFFLER or in the case of CanAm Primary Muffler.
    Additionally, many states have no inspection or requirement for Emission Testing.
    For example here is the Nevada exemptions.

Exempt Vehicles

The following vehicles are exempt from emission testing:

• New motor vehicles on their first and second registration.
    • New hybrid-electric vehicles for the first 5 model years.
    • 1967 or older.
    • Motorcycle or moped. (Note: As of 1 June the law was changed to include all three wheeled vehicles as Tri-Mobiles and registered and licensed under Motorcycle class without the need for M endorsement)
    • Vehicles based in remote areas of Clark and Washoe counties and all other Nevada counties (see Testing Areas or call us).
    • Alternative fuel vehicles.
    • Diesel vehicles with a gross vehicle weight of 14,001 pounds or greater.
    • Transfer of ownership/registration if the last test was conducted within 90 days before the transfer.
    • Transfer of ownership/registration between husband and wife.
    • Transfer of ownership/registration between companies whose principal business is leasing vehicles if there is no change in the lessee or operator of the vehicle.
    • Vehicles registered as a Classic Rod, Classic Vehicle or Old Timer and driven 5,000 miles or less per year.
    • Vehicles registered as a Replica Vehicle.

Due to Federal Interstate Laws if a vehicle is LEGALLY licensed and registered in NV, the remaining 49 states must accept the vehicle a LAWFUL.

AJ

Quote Originally Posted by Xyzzy View Post
    I'm posting this understanding that boiling fuel isn't a real nice thing to have.

FWIW:

Motor Vehicle: A motor vehicle is a self-propelled road vehicle, commonly wheeled, that does not operate on rails, such as trains or trams. The vehicle propulsion is provided by an engine or motor, usually by an internal combustion engine, or an electric motor, or some combination of the two, such as hybrid electric vehicles and plug-in hybrids. For legal purposes motor vehicles are often identified within a number of vehicle classes including cars, buses, motorcycles, off-road vehicles, light trucks and regular trucks. These classifications vary according to the legal codes of each country. ISO 3833:1977 is the standard for road vehicles types, terms and definitions. [1] Generally to avoid requiring handicapped persons from having to posess an operator's license to use one, or requiring tags and insurance, powered wheelchairs will be specifically excluded by law from being considered motor vehicles.

Applicable law: The act of removing a catalytic converter without replacing it with an approved replacement (known as "tampering") is illegal under federal law and is of great concern to EPA because of the high pollution levels that are emitted by vehicles without properly functioning emission controls. The original antitampering law was part of the Clean Air Act of 1970; it applied only to manufacturers and car dealers. The antitampering law was expanded by the 1977 Clean Air Act Amendments to apply to all automobile repair facilities, commercial mechanics, and fleet operators. And the 1990 Clean Air Act Amendments (CAAA) broadened the tampering provision even further; it now applies to everyone, including car owners. Here is the text from the 1990 CAAA:
    "Section 288 – Enforcement: (b) TAMPERING WITH VEHICLE EMISSION CONTROLS –
    (1) Section 203(a)(3) (42 U.S.C. 7522(a)(3)) is amended to read as follows:
    '(3)(A) for any person to remove or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title prior to its sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser, or for any person knowingly to remove or render inoperative any such device or element of design after such sale and delivery to the ultimate purchaser; or
    '(B) for any person to manufacture or sell, or offer to sell, or install, any part or component intended for use with, or as part of, any motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine, where a principal effect of the part or component is to bypass, defeat, or render inoperative any device or element of design installed on or in a motor vehicle or motor vehicle engine in compliance with regulations under this title, and where the person knows or should know that such part or component is being offered for sale or installed for such use or put to such use; or '
    (2) At the end of section 203(a) (42 U.S.C. 7522(a)) insert the following:
    'No action with respect to any device or element of design referred to in paragraph (3) shall be treated as a prohibited act under that paragraph if (i) the action is for the purpose of repair or replacement of the device or element, or is a necessary and temporary procedure to repair or replace any other item and the device or element is replaced upon completion of the procedure, and (ii) such action thereafter results in the proper functioning of the device or element referred to in paragraph (3). No action with respect to any device or element of design referred to in paragraph (3) shall be treated as a prohibited act under that paragraph if the action is for the purpose of a conversion of a motor vehicle for use of a clean alternative fuel (as defined in this title) and if such vehicle complies with the applicable standard under section 202 when operating on such fuel, and if in the case of a clean alternative fuel vehicle (as defined by rule by the Administrator), the device or element is replaced upon completion of the conversion procedure and such action results in proper functioning of the device or element when the motor vehicle operates on conventional fuel.'."
    The resale of a vehicle which has already had the catalytic converter removed is not specifically addressed by federal law. Therefore, the person who removed the converter violated federal law, but not necessarily the person who sold the vehicle. However, the sale of vehicles that have had the emission control system removed, disabled, or tampered with may be further governed by state or local laws.

Link: http://www.epa.gov/otaq/about/faq.htm#question13

Summary: This is a federal issue and not a state issue.

YMMV

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

I shouldn't reply to this because it is obvious that your mind is made up and no amount of facts will convince you otherwise.

But:

Emissions testing is not the same thing as tampering with emissions equipment.

There is no emissions testing where i live. It is still illegal to tamper with emissions equipment.

You can weasel-word the definition of a primary muffler versus a catalytic converter and play all sorts of games. That "creative thinking" will be laughed at in court.

What are the chances of getting caught? Probably very low. (A dealer who does modifications has a greater chance of getting caught and has much more to lose.)

However, all that said, how about the real reason we have emission gear on our vehicles: Clean air?

Have you seen the smog in China? No regulation there. No rules. Every man for himself.

A lot of older (baby boomer generation) people rant and rave about "federal interference" in their lives. Without regulation we'd still have 4 grams of lead in each gallon of gas. People don't self regulate because people (in general) are greedy and care for the moment, not the future.

We are supposed to be good stewards of the Earth.

You can reply to this and call me a hippie or a liberal or whatever you want. I've seen what mankind does when lawlessness is the norm. Most likely you haven't. It isn't pretty.

Instead of thinking of "me" (Better sound? Better mileage? Less heat? Whatever else a cat removal does?) think about your children and their children.

I won't reply to this thread any more so save yourself the trouble of replying.

In all seriousness, I wish you a good day.

Spyder Garage

Did Bypass on both my Spyders. Did little for the heat or power but sure enjoyed the sound. Pit Bull did both of mine.

Jack
    Last edited by jaherbst; 09-15-2015 at 10:59 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Default primary muffler and bypass?

Rob, by any chance do you have any side picture of the primary muffler and the bypass?
    I would like to see how high the inlet pipes are..
    If so, can you post them here or send to my email LRobertson327@gmail.com.
    Thanks
    Robbie

Spyder Garage

Yes have I SEEN the smog in China as well as over 100 other cities around the world.
    I have also seen it in LA which gee wiz they have emissions equipment!
    It's funny when presented with facts - they become "weasel words". When presented with FACTS you go on the offensive like it was a personal attack!
    Next you bring politics into the mix!
    Then you act like you were personally branded.
    Sounds like you have a "PROBLEM! and buddy, you have no CLUE what I've seen in my life, where I've been, or what I've done.
    I served this country for 23 years. I've been spat on, called names, seen horrendous things, and taken all kinds of crap in my service to this country so don't even go there.
    For your information, Harley Dealers are constantly removing the standard pipes which contain CAT devices and replacing headers and mufflers. So much for your statement "(A dealer who does modifications has a greater chance of getting caught and has much more to lose.)"

BTW I like wasting my time replying especially when people say it will be a waste of time!

If "it all depends what, is is" can make it thru the courts, I'm not worried.
    You should worry more about your own life and stop trying to force your views and opinions on others.
    You have the absolute RIGHT to your OPINION but so does everyone else.

AJ
    I shouldn't reply to this because it is obvious that your mind is made up and no amount of facts will convince you otherwise.

But:

There is no emissions testing where i live. It is still illegal to tamper with emissions equipment.

You can weasel-word the definition of a primary muffler versus a catalytic converter and play all sorts of games. That "creative thinking" will be laughed at in court.

What are the chances of getting caught? Probably very low. (A dealer who does modifications has a greater chance of getting caught and has much more to lose.)

However, all that said, how about the real reason we have emission gear on our vehicles: Clean air?

Have you seen the smog in China? No regulation there. No rules. Every man for himself.

A lot of older (baby boomer generation) people rant and rave about "federal interference" in their lives. Without regulation we'd still have 4 grams of lead in each gallon of gas. People don't self regulate because people (in general) are greedy and care for the moment, not the future.

You can reply to this and call me a hippie or a liberal or whatever you want. I've seen what mankind does when lawlessness is the norm. Most likely you haven't. It isn't pretty.

Instead of thinking of "me" (Better sound? Better mileage? Less heat? Whatever else a cat removal does?) think about your children and their children.

Last edited by PaladinLV; 09-15-2015 at 11:09 AM.

2014 RT-S
    Akrapovic Exhaust & Cat Bypass
    Bajaron Sway Bar w/links / Sena SM-10/Garmin 660
    Comfort Seat w Adjustable Backrest
    Decals by Purple Harley / Magic Strobe
    Kuryakyn Black Widow Pegs Rivco Highway Brackets
    Rivco Trunk Mounted Double Flag Holder
    FOBO / Spyder Cuff / XM Radio w MC Antenna

2014 RT/S , Black

Spyder Garage

...However, all that said, how about the real reason we have emission gear on our vehicles: Clean air?

China has a highly regulated and repressed Communist society, so "no rules" and "every man for himself" couldn't be further from the truth. Have you seen the smog in LA on a bad day?

2011 RT-S SE5, Acumen Tempest Cat-1 Alarm, SmoothSpyder Belt Tensioner,
    Autocom Super Pro Auto, Garmin Zumo 550 BT, 10amp Socket, Front Fender LED's,
    Grip Puppies, Spyderpop Belt Guard, Nautilus Horn, Shortee Antenna, BajaRon's Swaybar,
    Cree LED Day Running Lights.

Spyder Garage

Default Pollution control?

Say you drive your v twin 998 motorcycle to work. How much fuel on average do you burn in 1 hour? and how much pollution is created by that burn?
    These are rhetorical question's.
    The amount in the BIG picture is microscopic.
    Look at a Jet liner, How much fuel does one of these burn in 1 hour? 100-1000's of gallon, and where is the pollution control there. or on most power plants or factories.
    The EPA and the government can make all kinds of excuses, of why the put controls on cars, but the fact is, they are in bed with the oil and auto companies.
    Put pollution quote-unquote equipment on vehicles, and what happens to the fuel consumption, it goes up to overcome the back pressure and pollutant put back into the engine. hence more money for oil companies because they sell more fuel, and more money for the auto industry because they get kick backs from the government and more money from you because they are selling you more part then is needed. It has been proven that high performance engine's, such for racing, not only makes more power, but burns fuel cleaner then your government approved pollution controlled vehicle.
    So they need to change the focus, how about instead of the extra equipment, they make the engines perform better, they could be smaller, yielding the same power we get now, but burn much less fuel and with a cleaner burn? And hence, then where would they get all that extra money they have grown accustom too?
    Makes you think, Just how free are we?
    Last edited by CoolSpyder2014; 09-15-2015 at 11:42 AM.

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I had the Lamonster bypass put on my Spyder right off after seeing a CAT that Pitbull had cut open. Its nothing but piece of metal with a baffel in it from what I saw. Nothing in it that resembled a catalytic converter. Looks like all it does is muffle the sound some and hold heat. BRP lists it as a Primary Muffler in their parts list. I like the sound better and gives me one or two more mpg.

Spyder Garage

But:

I'll grant you that some federal regulation is a good thing. But in recent years the feds have, more often than not, taken regulation to extremes, often causing more actual net harm than good. Enough said about that.

For me, the decision to remove the cat was purely a safety decision. (Other benefits were entirely secondary to safety.) Before the recall was done on my 2013 RT, I simply did not want to die in a fire as a result of boiling gasoline overflowing the evap system.

But just so you know, I also acted responsibly with an environmentally neutral impact in mind. At the time I removed the cat, I also pledged to eat more beef, reasoning that the methane emissions from just one farting cow, was doing more damage to the planet than the emissions from my Spyder. It's a well known fact that flatulating livestock is the largest source of methane gas emissions worldwide, contributing over 28% of total emissions. (I have, by the way, honored my pledge.)

This may not be true for SpyderAnn (who's RT actually burned in a fire, but thankfully she was uninjured), since she puts a LOT more miles on her Spyder than I do.
    Last edited by robmorg; 09-15-2015 at 02:14 PM.
    Rob
    2013 RT Limited
    My "Mods & Farkles" Link