Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    There is a switch on the clutch connected to the computer the one that let's you start up while in gear that also sends other messages. You already have the method you just have to work on it. High on the outside dive to the inside release and power out...fun!!
    I can't wait to try it ... great info ... thanks!

Spyder Garage

I've been riding off and on since 1968 and I'm extremely glad I have the SE5. I find it's just as much fun as a manual and it gives my arthritic left hand a break. I just wish they put a brake lever up on the right grip for when I'm riding with my feet up on the hiway pegs.
    Last edited by flaggerphil; 12-17-2014 at 01:32 AM.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeWheels View Post
    DON'T HURT ME AGAIN.
    OK, sob, OK, sob, I'll tell you the truth.
    I like the slingshot better than the Morgan,

I guess ma, we'll have to move to another poor state and try again. I think I'll try my luck at Pico Canyon.
    Next time; try taking your medications, on an empty stomach...
    I kind of dig the 'Shot; but I'd love to try out the Morgan!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Great info.Thanks everyone

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

There are lots of thing for and against .i like the Manuel because I don't use the clutch once I'm moving ,I'm a very aggressive Rider and I found in the twisty corners I can have a firm grip on my handlebars and change up and down without havering to use clutch or lift fingers to change up or down gears and the spyder like my honda is so smooth .you only have one oil filter not two .i have an oil change down to 14 minuets now and only removing one splash guard.one important thing to look at is manuals only come in basic models and only have foot pegs not floor boards ,they don't have trailer mode I'm not shore if that's a good thing but they have it.then there is the semi auto and in Australia they are loved more than the manuals so much they are not importing manuals unless special orders.they do seem to be easier to tow trailers and its much easier to take off .you should go with what feels write for you.

Spyder Garage

When I bought my new I could have got either one I'm glad I chose the SE-5, I shifted gears on Gold Wings for over fourty years, I don't miss It at all..
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Spyder Garage

Default More Like A Motorcycle?

Quote Originally Posted by coz View Post
    more like a motorcycle. less problems than the s e.
    I'm a bit confused. I thought a Spyder was a MOTORCYCLE and as it comes as either manual or semi-auto then this MOTORCYCLE is a MOTORCYCLE with either so how can a manual be more like a motorcycle?

If by MOTORCYCLE you mean a 2-wheeled bike, then I still don't get it as my Honda NC700 2-wheeled bike (MOTORCYCLE) is missing a certain lever on the left. It not only shifts down automatically like the Spyders do but it also shifts up automatically or I can put it in the manual mode and use the paddle shifters and still not have to worry about a clutch lever.

j abrams, get whatever gives you the most fun and don't believe everything you read here, including from me!

20141218_192036 (Medium).jpg

Spyder Garage

Not sure which bike your looking at or what type of riding your doing, I've tried the SE model if I did alot of touring or long distance riding would probably have an SE , but I enjoy banging through the gears and feel a manual works better for me.

Bill

2013 RSS Neutron Green
    BRP HID's and Fogs
    Custom Belt Tension
    2014 side panels
    HMF Exhaust
    K&N air filter
    Bajaron sway bar and links

Spyder Garage

My RS had both the SM and hand brake (ISCI) - it was a hoot in the hills around home, but a coot on a long trip. So I sprang for my first RT, which had the SE transmission. Since I bought it lightly used (1400 miles), I got what it had, rather than choosing, and saved a ton regardless. I found that I really enjoyed the SE for all my riding, especially in stop and go traffic - and never missed the hand brake! What I didn't like was the 3200 rpm bottom limit - I was always worried I would blow the clutch around town.

When I sold my RT, I went back to the dark side for a while, purchasing a Honda Stateline - a really nice bike, but I only put 480 miles on it in 9 months - it just didn't work for me anymore. So I waited until the 2014 deal season got underway, and swapped for a new RT - I didn't even consider the SM, knowing how well the SE worked for me.

In hindsight, if I were to consider another 990, or non-RT, I would ONLY consider one with the SM box - even if only for my peace of mind, and add the ISCI hand brake. With the 1330 RT, I only recommend the SE - it just works, and at the end of a long day on the road, you hand doesn't hurt. Then there's traffic - the new RT SE6 is an open air Caddie... JMHO
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Default DO NOT

DO NOT BUY ANYTHING BASED ON ANOTHER PERSONS OPINION.....
    take both out for a ride, and decide for yourself which is best for you....
    dp

Spyder Garage

The manual functions just like any motorcycle. It makes you more a part of the riding experience just like on a car with a manual. I really agree with the idea too that the more mechanical you keep a machine the less likely it is to break.
    2012 Spyder RS SM5 - Steel Black Metallic "The Murder"
    Southern Cruisers Riding Club - Chapter 072 - Northern Illinois
    Two Brothers M2 Pipe; TB Juice Box; Hartco Custom Saddle; Rivco Driver Floorboards; Rivco Heel Toe Shifter; ESI Highway Pegs & Brackets; ESI 4.5" Easy Riser Handlebar Risers; BajaRon Sway Bar; Cycle Sounds Series 3 200 Watt Sound System; 14" Touring Windshield; Custom Dynamics Mirror Extensions; Kuryakyn ISO Grips; Kuryakyn Throttle Boss; Kuryakyn End Weights; Frunk Liner.

Spyder Garage

Default SE6

Quote Originally Posted by blacklightning View Post
    I agree, but the semi auto would have been fun on my zx14
    Test drove both several times. I choose the SE6 because of age, laziness, and the hills in San Francisco. Once you get the "hang" of the paddle shifter it's a breeze. You actually get the best of both worlds with the SE6 and my left foot and hand never gets tired .

Spyder Garage

I love and prefer to drive manual cars. Not much more fun than "rowing your own."

I ride and prefer manual motorcycles over CTV scooters.

I learned to ride a Spyder on a manual RT.

I bought an SE RS.

Unlike a motorcycle, where a manual clutch is a genuinely useful performance device (and at slow speeds, an often absolutely necessary safety tool), the Spyder does not need a manual to operate at peak performance. (In fact, I'd go as far as saying the MT is as necessary on the Spyder as on a bull ). With the SE, you just get on and ride, and enjoy the seamless shifting as you slap that switch up and down through the twisties. No clutch to tire your hand in traffic, no distracting shifter to struggle to reach when you're leaned over the side of your Spyder hot in the curve.

Everyone is welcome to make their own choice, of course, but my opinion is that any prospective owner insisting on getting a manual without spending some solid time trying out the SE is doing themselves a disservice for they won't know what fun they're missing. You owe to yourself to make an informed decision, there's no chance of regretting the extra knowledge!

In my mind, the SE is as much a part of what makes the Spyder a Spyder as its three wheels.
    Last edited by daveinva; 12-18-2014 at 10:05 PM.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

Interesting points. I am relatively new to the Spyders, but working at a dealership I have had the opportunity to try a few different models. Initially, I really liked the manual better and the feeling of banging through the gears around town. After reading through this thread a few times, I feel like I may need to get more seat time on an SE just to see if it will grow on me. I do enjoy the manual a little more right now, but maybe that is just because it is more familiar (from riding other bikes). I have always preferred stick shift on cars though... further testing needed