Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Manual transmission vs. semi automatic transmission

I am trying to decide on the type of transmission to get when I am able to get a spyder. I asked a sales person his opinion and he was in the semi camp. I also talked to a service manager and he thought that the manuals have fewer problems. I would like some opinions. Thanks

Spyder Garage

They are both right.
    The manuals have fewer problems, but the semi-automatic holds its resale value better.
    I prefer the manual, just because I enjoy the feel of shifting the gears better.
    If it ain't broke, don't break it.
    IBA #47122
    2020 RT Limited Asphalt Grey

Spyder Garage

But, man, the semi-auto is FUN!!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm with Chupaca, I prefer the manual.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Semi- Auto lets you enjoy the road more in my opinion.

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Wow..!!

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    I'm with Chupaca, I prefer the manual.
    Your with me before I answer.. but your right. I like the control, I like to pull in the clutch and coast (you can trick the nanny when you do it in the corners) I like that I can shift without the clutch once I'm rolling. But it will still be your choice and mostly how comfortable you are with the manual clutch...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

We have one of each. Can't go wrong with either IMHO.
    His - 2013 RSS SM5
    Hers - 2013 RS SE5

Proud Army Veterans!!

Spyder Garage

Default SM vs SE

Serious performance riding go manual. For pure riding enjoyment, the semi auto is tops!!
    Doug Barnes
    James 4:17

all on two wheels. More on four or more. Guess I may need to start multi-coloring for three wheels.

Spyder Garage

Tell that sales manager you want to saddle up one of each and then you'll know.
    2015 RTS Special Series
    Russell Day Long seat
    F4 Customs windshield
    Sena 20s

Spyder Garage

I went through the same questions before I bought mine 2011 three years ago. The biggest influence for me was the chatter about keeping the RPMs up near 5000 for the shift point. This seemed to complicate the ride for me on my test ride and confirmed, for me, the flexibility of the manual shift.

I have a manual.
    2016 RT-S Special Series
    2016 RT-S Special , 2 tone black

Spyder Garage

Default manual

more like a motorcycle. less problems than the s e.
    it was fun while it lasted.

Spyder Garage

Default Semi gets my vote...

Liked the idea of the semi when I bought it but wasn't sure. Have had many bikes for over 40 years so accustomed to shifting. I ride almost every day and each day I think about how much I enjoy the semi. Semi automatic gets my vote. I think my age may have something to do with it.
    2013 ST Limited

arntufun

With a Semi your Spyder will roll down a hill and crash into a pole when the parking brake fails..........There isn't even a need for a parking brake on a manual. I never once used mine.

I was told that manual Spyder owners are the only ones considered real riders. I can see how the semi allows people that couldn't operate a manual to own a Spyder and IMO is part of the reason the Spyder has been successful.
    Last edited by arntufun; 12-12-2014 at 07:42 AM.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    With a Semi your Spyder will roll down a hill and crash into a pole when the parking brake fails..........There isn't even a need for a parking brake on a manual. I never once used mine.

Manual Spyder owners are also considered real riders.
    There ya go, stirring the pot again😊

Sure and real truckers don't drive with automatic transmissions, and real race car drivers don't use paddle shift.

My 2012 RT was a manual, I was adamant on that point. When I got my '14 I got an SE because a SM was not readily available. Now I love the SE, once in a while I miss pulling the clutch to coast, but not very often. I still ride my ST1100, and occasionally wish I had the SE on it in certain situations. I've been riding for 40 years and find the SE does not diminish the fun or control factor.
    Dan

2014 RT-S SE6, 2012 RT-622 trailer

Spyder Garage

I was sure I wanted a manual shift until I drove the semi-auto. Yeah it's a little more money but now I'd not even consider buying a manual. I'm sure the manual shift is less prone to problems and you don't need to use the parking break if you so choose. I've never had any trouble with my semi-auto or my parking break.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Manual....for all the same reasons mentioned above.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've ridden both. I love my SE-6!
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

I had 2010 RTS loved the manual shift. The only problems I had was in heavy traffic you had to feather the clutch or stall it out. When I want to trade it one dealer gave me a real low ball price because it was a manual. Said they had a hard time selling manuals spyders. I brought a 14 RTL with se6. Love it. You can still shift through the gears with the paddle (up/down) and in heavy traffic moving slowly you don't have to feather the clutch. I would test drive both before I made the decision on witch one I brought only you will know what you really like.

Spyder Garage

With a Semi your Spyder will roll down a hill and crash into a pole when the parking brake fails..........There isn't even a need for a parking brake on a manual. I never once used mine. . . .
    If your Spyder rolls down a hill when the parking brake fails, you didn't park it, correctly. Fifty years ago, I leaned to turn the wheels into the curb when parking on a hill . . . and it holds true for Spyders, too.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

I was told that manual Spyder owners are the only ones considered real riders. I can see how the semi allows people that couldn't operate a manual to own a Spyder and IMO is part of the reason the Spyder has been successful.

my parking brake has never failed. I think if you had a manual car and left it out of gear and your parking brake failed, your car could roll down hill and crash into a pole.

Very Active Member ottawa-rider's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you get a 2014 RT or a 2015 RT or F3, the concern about keeping the RPM high enough on the SE is not longer valid, you decide.
    2018 RT LTD , Black

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I thought for sure that I wanted a semi auto, so I test drove a 2013 se. I was impressed. After my riding partner picked up a 2014 manual, I wanted to try it. After about a 30 mile ride, I was sold. The manual shifts so smooth (compared to my M109R), that the decision was easy when I purchased one. If they had a fully auto model, I might reconsider, but since you still have to upshift with the se, it is not worth the extra coin.
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by j abrams View Post
    I am trying to decide on the type of transmission to get when I am able to get a spyder. I asked a sales person his opinion and he was in the semi camp. I also talked to a service manager and he thought that the manuals have fewer problems. I would like some opinions. Thanks

My first Spyder was a manual. The one I drive now is a semi. This is not an automatic transmission. It is a manual with no clutch used for upshifts and nothing required for downshifts (unless you choose). It has a lot in common with the Ferrari or Lamborghini paddle shifters.

The Spyder is a technological marvel and those who prefer manuals are stuck in the dark ages.
    Penny and Rick have owned many motorcycles starting in 1974 with Honda’s, then to Suzukis, Gold Wings and ultimately Spyders.
    ‘74 Honda 360T (pair); ‘78 Suzuki GS 1000 (pair); ‘’82 Honda Aspencade; ‘84 Honda 400; ‘87 Yamaha 1100; ‘99 Honda Valkyrie; ‘01 Suzuki Burgman(triked); ‘02 Honda GL 1800(triked); ‘10 Spyder RTSE; ‘11 Spyder RTSM; ‘12 Spyder RTSL (pair); ‘20 Spyder RTL (current)

Spyder Garage

Put me in the manual camp. I figured I had enough new things to figure out so this would be one less. Personal preference.
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Very Active Member blacklightning's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    Put me in the manual camp. I figured I had enough new things to figure out so this would be one less. Personal preference.
    I agree, but the semi auto would have been fun on my zx14
    2021 RTL , brake pedal from "Web Boards" chalk white