Thread: The WTH Factor

Very Active Member Bam Bam and Pebbles's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default The WTH Factor

I'm only a 1000 miles in Spyder ownership, but I was wondering if anybody else has experienced what I have been. There is a road that I have to go by on my way to work that I regularly get get cut off at. But since I have been ryding the Beast, people start to pull in front of me and then stop. I figure they haven't seen a Spyder before and have to look at it and they let me go by. I know I have to worry about traffic more now, but that is not what I was expecting. Anybody else get this treatment?

Spyder Garage

i get more complements on my spyder than any other bike i have owned. when on a parkway i get people in cars taking pictures and giving me the thumbs up, for some reason a few of them use the middle finger, but that's another story
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Sometime. The worst I've seen was on our trip to Maine. We were ryding on I 84, and a car flew by us in the right lane. We were in the middle. Next thing, they lock up the binders, switch 2 lanes, and back up traffic to get back to us just to take a picture.

Spyder Garage

WTH Factor: Oh yes, this is something that all owners encounter from time to time. A couple mentioned in the thread are really pushing the boundaries--IMO.

Just be careful and enjoy your newly found rockstar status.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-09-2014 at 07:41 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Life as a Rock Star; is not without it's own unique perils...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Depends..!

not in traffic, at least here where strange and different is the norm, but onced stopped then the questions abound and the rubbernecking begins... do watch out if your getting the traffic snarled up...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

I went out to eat on my way to work tonight and I had 3 people come over to my table to ask me about the Beast. Hard to believe an old guy can get that much attention. I think BRP should give us all some royalties on the word of mouth were are spreading.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    I'm only a 1000 miles in Spyder ownership, but I was wondering if anybody else has experienced what I have been. There is a road that I have to go by on my way to work that I regularly get get cut off at. But since I have been ryding the Beast, people start to pull in front of me and then stop. I figure they haven't seen a Spyder before and have to look at it and they let me go by. I know I have to worry about traffic more now, but that is not what I was expecting. Anybody else get this treatment?
    If people are stopping in front of you it may be because your lights are flickering and they think you are the police. You should run with your bright lights on in the daytime to eliminate the flickering effect that bothers people in front of you.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    If people are stopping in front of you it may be because your lights are flickering and they think you are the police. You should run with your bright lights on in the daytime to eliminate the flickering effect that bothers people in front of you.
    or not -- it gets them out of my way most of the time, and I prefer that
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Maybe I should have been clearer. They are not pulling in front of me and stopping, they just are not cutting me off like they usually do. They start to, they just don't finish the job. Although driving in Christmas traffic is gonna test that theory real soon. I love to drive, and the Spyder is fantastic, but some of these people are too stupid for words. Hope everybody stays safe.

Spyder Garage

We get people on the road, at Stop Lights, Gas Stations, on the Interstate and everywhere else looking at our Spyder. She has the dog on the back once in a while also, might be part of it sometimes, lol.
    Most people think the Spyder is pretty cool.
    I have to admit that most of the time when I have my newest bike and she has the Spyder it is slightly depressing that the Spyder gets all of the attention.

Rick
    Spyder Lovers Vendor
    Value-Accessories

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Rick nice pictures professional quality I like the graphics on your spyder and the Dog is too cool with those shades what is that 2 wheeled thing in the pictures just kidding that is a sweet bike Thanks for the great service fast shipping & good products.

Chuck

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    i get more complements on my spyder than any other bike i have owned. when on a parkway i get people in cars taking pictures and giving me the thumbs up, for some reason a few of them use the middle finger, but that's another story
    Maybe you had your fly open????

13 ST Limited F/R suspension, Corbin, GIVI top case

16 Vespa Primavera 150: Stock
    16 Piaggio BV350: Suspension, braking mods in work
    14 HD XL1200T: F/R suspension and brake mods; Corbin saddle and bags
    09 Aprilia SC250: F/R suspension and minor brake mods
    97 Honda PC800: F/R wheels, F/R suspension, and F/R brake Mods; Corbin saddle
    90 CB-1: In work, long term project
    89 Honda NT650: F/R suspension; Corbin saddle

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bam Bam and Pebbles View Post
    Only if i leave my brights on. Few nods at lights & the funniest looks when iPod goes from Metallica to Beach boys & #1 question asked is "How fast will it go?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Only if i leave my brights on. Few nods at lights & the funniest looks when iPod goes from Metallica to Beach boys & #1 question asked is "How fast will it go?"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I get that question a lot also. I don't get it, I have a touring bike not a sports bike. nobody ever asked me how fast my Scion XB goes

Spyder Garage

Default Out of This World

Was chatting with a couple at a gas station, and he said "Wow, that thing looks like you should be riding it on the Moon!"

All I could do was chuckle and say "Thanks"
    Vossr
    Sage Monkey
    MSgt, USAF ret

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I get that question a lot also. I don't get it, I have a touring bike not a sports bike. nobody ever asked me how fast my Scion XB goes
    I used to think people asked that question a lot because they thought it was fast, but a few people have clarified and asked if it could go fast enough to be on the highway. I think they've seen that chinese fake spyder thing on the internet that can only go 35mph....

Now I never know whether I should be proud or offended when people ask that question
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default Width

I think that maybe it's the wider profile of the Spyder that makes it more conspicuous than a narrower 2 wheel motorcycle. Many drivers are looking for cars & trucks when stopped at intersections, driveways etc. and not really looking out for smaller motorcycles. The Can Ams are attention getters no doubt as they're a lot less common than ordinary motorcycles or anything else for that matter. All the above is a good thing.

Spyder Garage

My reply is usually "fast enough to put ur butt in hospital!"

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by vondalyn View Post
    I used to think people asked that question a lot because they thought it was fast, but a few people have clarified and asked if it could go fast enough to be on the highway. I think they've seen that chinese fake spyder thing on the internet that can only go 35mph....

Now I never know whether I should be proud or offended when people ask that question
    When asked about how fast, I show them the 200 mph speedometer. I usually don't have to say more.

Also fun to play around with new passengers. Put the speedo into kph mode and your showing 100 when your really doing 62.
    Last edited by ARtraveler; 12-11-2014 at 01:40 PM.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default In a word "LIGHTS"

Upgrade any and all lights. Put xenon in your headlights and in your fog lights. Add custom dynamics Brightsides front and rear. Go with the adapters that make them flash with the turn signals. Get the extra bright LED bulbs in the front of the fenders. Consider serious fog lights from Tricled. The point is to be seen and be seen as something very large.
    I find that with all this that people are much more likely to signal and be courteous when I'm on my RT than when I'm in my van or my pickup. Finally consider a horn upgrade. There are several excellent small air horns for those times that the lights don't work. Hopefully this will lower the WTH factor.