Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default Why do I feel ripped off again?

On 4 Nov I took my 2013 RT in for some warranty work. It had an ECM update, belt tension adjuster, and a water leak issue that needed to be checked under warranty. While it was there I asked if the turn signal switch that was sticking could be fixed. They said no problem they would take care of it for free under warranty. It was there for 15 days for 1.5 hours of warranty work and what ever amount of time the switch needed. They brought the bike back home for me, I was busy and it was pouring down rain, so I said bring it to me for $51.00. They unloaded it and the first thing I noticed was the signal switch didn't work the foot boards were covered in mud and the bike was really dirty. I called and complained they said they forgot to write up the signals and would fix it and return the bike. I didn't say anything about the mud or dirt, but it was clean when it was returned. So they took it back kept the bike until after Thanksgiving. They called and said I owed $106.18 for the signal repair. They figured out I shouldn't have been charged and returned the bike to me again. I checked out the bike when it was returned and the signal worked as it should. Since then it had rained almost every day so I had never started or ridden the bike. So yesterday I went out and started it for a couple minutes and rode it around the block.
    I figured out the dealer put 64 miles on it and brought it back to me with the gas tank empty. When I dropped it off I had just topped off the tank and filled it with Sta-bil for winter storage. I took a picture of the dash to show a friend the day I dropped it off showing the gas level and mileage. The mileage increased by 87 miles in total, 23 were put on by me to get it to the dealership. It was brought back to me in a trailer. That figures out to around 14.5 MPG or someone took gas out of the tank.
    Why would a dealer put 64 miles on a bike and use over 6 gallons of gas to do 1.5 hours of warranty and fix a turn signal switch?
    I swear I would rather have no warranty than deal with the crappy dealership issues I have dealt with on cars and trucks.

Spyder Garage

something sounds really strange
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default BAD dealer

sounds like bad dealer, or bad service dept. or both. find another dealer asap. you feel ripped off because you WERE ripped off, IMO.
    Last edited by coz; 12-09-2014 at 09:42 AM.
    it was fun while it lasted.

GOS member (Girls On Spyders) CSW61's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Doesn't sound right. I have never had to leave my wife's bike at the dealer. Esp. for weeks at a time. Not saying anything bad but may want to look around for someplace else.
    2018 RT Limited , Pearl White

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

you are probably feeling ripped off.... because you were ripped off !

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

100%. If that happened to me I would feel ripped off to.

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's_Spyder View Post
    On 4 Nov I took my 2013 RT in for some warranty work. It had an ECM update, belt tension adjuster, and a water leak issue that needed to be checked under warranty. While it was there I asked if the turn signal switch that was sticking could be fixed. They said no problem they would take care of it for free under warranty. It was there for 15 days for 1.5 hours of warranty work and what ever amount of time the switch needed. They brought the bike back home for me, I was busy and it was pouring down rain, so I said bring it to me for $51.00. They unloaded it and the first thing I noticed was the signal switch didn't work the foot boards were covered in mud and the bike was really dirty. I called and complained they said they forgot to write up the signals and would fix it and return the bike. I didn't say anything about the mud or dirt, but it was clean when it was returned. So they took it back kept the bike until after Thanksgiving. They called and said I owed $106.18 for the signal repair. They figured out I shouldn't have been charged and returned the bike to me again. I checked out the bike when it was returned and the signal worked as it should. Since then it had rained almost every day so I had never started or ridden the bike. So yesterday I went out and started it for a couple minutes and rode it around the block.
    I figured out the dealer put 64 miles on it and brought it back to me with the gas tank empty. When I dropped it off I had just topped off the tank and filled it with Sta-bil for winter storage. I took a picture of the dash to show a friend the day I dropped it off showing the gas level and mileage. The mileage increased by 87 miles in total, 23 were put on by me to get it to the dealership. It was brought back to me in a trailer. That figures out to around 14.5 MPG or someone took gas out of the tank.
    Why would a dealer put 64 miles on a bike and use over 6 gallons of gas to do 1.5 hours of warranty and fix a turn signal switch?
    I swear I would rather have no warranty than deal with the crappy dealership issues I have dealt with on cars and trucks.
    If what you say is true, and I am in no way doubting it, make others aware and post the dealership name.

Complaining to the Service manager may help but may not. Post the name of the dealership.

As for the miles ridden, and fuel consumed, speculating yours may have been a test ride subject and / or had the fuel used in other vehicles. I certainly do not know for sure but it all sounds really bad.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jim's_Spyder View Post
    Something fishy... Mine has never had more than a couple miles added by the service department to test things out.

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    As for the miles ridden, and fuel consumed, speculating yours may have been a test ride subject and / or had the fuel used in other vehicles. I certainly do not know for sure but it all sounds really bad.

PK
    If the dealer used mine for a demo without my permission, I'd be livid, to say the least. I'd charge them at least $157.18 rental fee too...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Default find a repair shop in central MD?

does anyone know of any shops that work on spyders in central MD? I have even called a few seadoo repair shops, with no luck.

I feel ripped off as well. The first time I took it in for an oil change, the cost was 200.$, and the idle had changed from ( 1350 to 1450,) and now it idles at 1450 to 1550. I would LOVE to find someone else. I am not saying what shop it was, because you never fuss with someone you don't trust AND has access to your brake lines.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

They obviously rode it more than could be expected...
    Add to that, the amount of time spent idling while they warmed it up, and plugged stuff into it...
    I'd go back, and talk to the owner of the shop.
    Loudly!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by mmm7789 View Post
    does anyone know of any shops that work on spyders in central MD? I have even called a few seadoo repair shops, with no luck.

I feel ripped off as well. The first time I took it in for an oil change, the cost was 200.$, and the idle had changed from ( 1350 to 1450,) and now it idles at 1450 to 1550. I would LOVE to find someone else. I am not saying what shop it was, because you never fuss with someone you don't trust AND has access to your brake lines.
    Check the brakes before you roll away, and consider that an incompetent Spyder tech is bad for those that ride a machine he worked on. Yes be kind to them, don't hurt their feelings and complain softly if you are stranded by the work they did.

FWIW, I work with aircraft mechanics I would not let touch my lawnmower. I asked one before, "are you willing to put your family in the plane you just worked on?", they answered NO, and with that I told them how they needed out of the business and let them know my opinion of their skills and work ethic.

Everyone makes mistakes, some people just don't care.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by PMK View Post
    Everyone makes mistakes, some people just don't care. PK
    The trick: figuring out how to tell them apart!

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The trick: figuring out how to tell them apart!
    Most times, it is simple customer service.

Assume the worst, expect the best and see where the cards fall. As mentioned, everyone has a bad day, it is how you overcome the bad to make good.

The wife and I both currently work for very big corporations in the US.
    Years ago, where I work had a good grasp on how to do it right and her company struggled. Today, I see her company and leadership taking them to the top, while I here almost everyday the "what happened"?

The simple answer, her company has good leadership with vision, goals and obvious good customer service. The guys I work for have seen resting on laurels and now have people killing each other trying to move up since the founder passed away. With this, they simply preach customer service but fail to accomplish it themselves.

The other thing I learned from life is that often you do not need to ask many people to find out the truth about how a company is at customer service.

I have a local dealer, less than 10 miles away...I asked my friends if I should consider them for warranty work. Suffice to say I will riding between 100 and 150 miles to my dealer of choice.

Customer service, it is not a slogan but rather a way of doing good business.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They obviously rode it more than could be expected...
    Add to that, the amount of time spent idling while they warmed it up, and plugged stuff into it...
    I'd go back, and talk to the owner of the shop.
    Loudly!

And I'd ask for an adjustment on the bill, too. Based on the attitude you get from the owner, you may want to find another dealer.
    PrairieSpyder (Patti)

Spyder Garage

Default Bummer..!!

shops without their own fuel supply tend to syphon off gas from the units with the most. Easier than running down to the gas station. This is also true when they have no shop vehicle..so take a bike from the shop and run some errands. What better than a spyder with storage space. Now not all shop owners are aware of this and it is wise to let them know so this can be addressed. They seem to correct themselves but still I understand your feeling ripped off..you were..
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default First Class Dealership/Service Dept.

I highly recommend Motosports INC. in Hanover, Pa. (717) 632-7093. I bought my 2012 RT Limited from them and am now waiting on my 2015 RT Limited. The service has been outstanding and the prices charged are reasonable. Ryan, the mechanic is a member of our club (Md. Spyder Web) and the dealership is one of our club sponsors. Can't say enough good things about them.

Dan from Pasadena, Md.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RMCRETIRED View Post
    I highly recommend Motosports INC. in Hanover, Pa. (717) 632-7093. I bought my 2012 RT Limited from them and am now waiting on my 2015 RT Limited. The service has been outstanding and the prices charged are reasonable. Ryan, the mechanic is a member of our club (Md. Spyder Web) and the dealership is one of our club sponsors. Can't say enough good things about them.

Dan from Pasadena, Md.
    . . . Motosports is the only place where I fully trust to work on my Spyder. They are a class act and take great care of their customers, even if you purchased your Spyder elsewhere, as I did.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Sorry for your bad dealer experience.

I would start by asking about the mileage/gas used up discrepancy. Good that there was lots of miles, hopefully put on the bike due to test riding and not joy riding. I would ask where all the gas went. Did they disconnect the odo and put some real miles on it over the weeks they had it, did it turn into a rental bike?

Based on the answers you get, then I would determine whether or not the dealer gets any further business. A further discount also seems warranted.

Let us know what happens.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Here's the other side of customer service.

I took my bike to Central Florida Powersports to get a replacement am/fm antenna. They replaced it for me....did a complete check of the bike....washed it and returned it to me full of gas!

i have never had this level of service especially the gas being filled! They will be getting all my work for sure.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I just suggested CFPS to a Dell Service Technician.
    He had a remote link-up to my system; trying to figure out why it was slower than the Springtime thaw.
    (He's got in flying now! )
    Anyway; he's looking at my screens, and notices the three Spyders being used for a desktop...
    Roger's, Gloria's and mine)
    He mentioned that he's always been interested in them, and they looked like a lot of fun.
    When he said that he lived near Orlando; I figured that they've got to be close enough to him...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Chupaca View Post
    shops without their own fuel supply tend to syphon off gas from the units with the most. Easier than running down to the gas station. This is also true when they have no shop vehicle..so take a bike from the shop and run some errands. What better than a spyder with storage space. Now not all shop owners are aware of this and it is wise to let them know so this can be addressed. They seem to correct themselves but still I understand your feeling ripped off..you were..
    I agree. I've seen dealerships where employees used customer vehicles to commute back and forth to work, parts chasers, etc. I've never seen one used as a demo. That would be a huge can of worms that the dealer could not cover up if something went wrong.

Personally, I just don't get it. Customer service should be more than a motto. I do not think good customer service is all that difficult nor should it be rare. There are good customer service businesses out there. But they seem to be going away. Especially with dealerships. I don't mind the flash and fancy facilities. But I'd trade them in a heartbeat for the old bare minimum shops of Yester-Year if I could get the same great service that used to be so common.

I'm not against the flash and fancy. I love it in fact. But some dealerships need to put as much effort into service as they do into making the facilities look impressive.

Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I called the dealership and they said it required a 20 mile ride after the ECU was upgraded. I didn't buy it, I pressed pretty hard on the where did the other 40 miles go and why did the bike only get 15.2 miles to the gallon on this tank. He apologized and offered to replace the fuel. I put 5.7 gallons of gas in it today to top it off.
    I won’t post the name of the dealer. Its my word against theirs and what I write here about them is libel and saying it in person is slander. The dealership was in the top 20 dealers/service departments in the country and I live in Beavercreek, Ohio. So it won’t be hard to figure out if you want.

Spyder Garage

Given your Baltimore location, I'm going to assume you had trouble with Pete's.

In addition to the aforementioned Motosports, you have Trumbull down in Mechanicsville, and Talbot across the Bay Bridge. A couple folks here at SL back in the early days swore by Talbot's, not sure if they've kept up with that impression in the years since.

As for Trumbull, I used them once for a bunch of work; it was a pain to get over there from here in Northern Virginia, but I was happy with the work for a cheaper labor rate than I pay at my local Coleman dealers. Even better, unlike Coleman, Trumbull did all the work (about five hours' worth) while I waited. The downside is their dealership, a dedicated Can-Am-only shop, is so physically small as to be a showroom and that's it-- literally no place to sit while I waited, I ended up taking a nap against a Spyder shipping crate out in their back parking lot, using my jacket as a pillow.

If it wasn't for the inconvenience of the distance and uncomfortable waiting, I'd use Trumbull again in a second. I don't have any problems with Coleman's work, but they're VERY expensive for what they do, and dear God, you just lose your bike into their repair queue-- I've never once gotten my bike back in less than a week no matter WHAT I've asked them to do, no matter how simple the task, and sometimes it's been multiple weeks just for routine service. They service all makes and models of bikes, not just Spyders, and so they always, always suffer a backlog in service.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!