Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tool Kit

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Tool Kit

Here is a question for you more experienced riders. Besides the toolkit that comes with the Spyder, what tools do you recommend carrying with you 1. At all times, and 2. On long trips.
    If it makes a difference, I have a 2014 RT se6.

Thank you,
    Ken

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default All you should need

is your emergency road service card and the BRP warrantee card that came with your purchase. Oh yes, a full debit card and a cell phone too; and if you have to call road assistance tell them you need a slider and don't allow them to sling your on a hook and chains. You've got a great trike so you shouldn't have any worries. I'd go with go with a small 1st aid kit, tape, zip ties maybe a flat tire repair kit and a small LED head lamp (for your head). Oh I forgot, a cork screw, never leave home on a trip without a cork screw. Always keep an eye and ear on your ride and if it needs help you should provide it ASAP and your ride will bring you home safely after many thousands of miles. You might have your wife buy you a gremlin bell if you don't have one. Good luck and have fun on your .

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I don't remember the sizes, but I carry a bunch of the Torx bits and a driver that you need in order to pull parts off of the bike...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Very Active Member granpa in Cincy's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    The Cosmic Rule of Tools applies, You can’t carry everything you will need but a hammer and a bottle jack will help to keep peace of mind.
    That bottle of Jack is to drink when all else fails to get going again
    2014 RT S SE6 Cognac. Built on 12/20/13.
    2014 VW EOS 2.0 TSI replaced the RT S 5/22/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

A small set of Vise Grips, and an air gauge for the tires, can be pretty useful...

"Bottle of Jack"...

Spyder Garage

Default Air compressor

I take a small, Green Slime, air compressor with me at all times. Also, a plug set to fix any flat tires, first aid kit and of course my wife for moral support.
    2014 RTS SE6 , Cognac

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    I don't remember the sizes, but I carry a bunch of the Torx bits and a driver that you need in order to pull parts off of the bike...
    A T-20 and T-30 and a 5mm allen key will cover 90+ % of the non-hex head fasteners. Most of the hex heads are 10 and 12mm.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Couldn't remember the sizes... but I remember to carry the tools!

Very Active Member stormtrooper's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Tools what are those I always make sure I have lunch and beer packed Anytime I work on the Spyder at home I check the tool I am using and see if its in my tool bag I have on the Spyder.If not I buy another to add to the Spyder tool bag.After a few times doing basic Spyder stuff you will have a nice set of tools for the Spyder tool bag

2014 RT-S SE6 Pearl White

Grip Puppies, 12 volt power outlet, BRP comfort seat, Tri-Axis adjustable handlebars, BajaRons sway bar & links, Spyderpops Bump Skid w/Inlaid LED's & Stainless steel Kott grilles,SmoothSpyder belt tensioner,Carbon fiber dipped wind deflectors,Lamonster NBV highway brackets,Lamonster cat delete pipe,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I carry a small Harbor Freight tool bag.
    I moved the under seat tool kit to this bag
    Added a small compressor, tire plugs and plug tools
    An assortment of torx bits, I think a 10mm wrench, and wrenches to remove my flags for when I'm on a trip and need to cover the Spyder.

Other than that, my BEST warranty card is in the glovebox, and I keep the cell charged.

I've never had to use anything (except for the wrenches to remove the flagpoles)

Spyder Garage

Default My input

TOILET PAPER and an attitude that finds adventure in all!!
    ...and then I have most things that Rattigan_Roger recommends as well as others. I do NOT know what to do with such things (called tools), but I am prepared for the helping hand that will come my way or for loaning to another in need. Now as far as "towing"...BRP roadside assistance is Poor at best...so add either AAA (Premium RV) or Good Sam (Platinum)..verify it is covering your Spyder..some of their plans do not. Also, read the manual on how to tow...I have had to use roll back 3 diff times ( no worries that was over 100k of Spyder travel and one was my issue...knew I was probably needing a new battery...aaaaa waited to long!!!)...I hand them the manual open to correct page and say please do as this says....sent one driver 'packin' cause he said he knew everything and did not have to look at the manual...after I asked him to give me his "how to"...I said thank you, BUT NO thanks.
    Oh yea and a good book to read if you have to wait for the tow truck...and nothing entertaining to look at!!!
    My Motto Is:
    Live my life in such a way that when my feet hit the floor in the morning...Satan shudders & says "Oh, crap, SHE'S awake!"

Red Stallion: 2016 F3t SE6 (from Pitbull PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    White Knight: 2014 RTS SE6 and matching 622 trailer (from Pitbull
    PowerSports/ Springfield, MO)
    Ms Spydee: 2010 RT SE5

Spyder Garage

What everybody has said and zip-ties, safety wire, diagonal cutters, duct tape and electrical tape.

Also, a small medical kit and R. Roger's phone app can come in handy .

I keep them on my Spyder at all times. Never know when something's going to happen...
    Last edited by Yazz; 12-08-2014 at 11:03 AM. Reason: spelling...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default What's in the tool kit.

tool kit 2014.JPG

You are getting a lot of recommendations for what is already in your tool kit.
    Already have the screwdrivers to remove the outer panels. 20T, 30T, slot and phillips.
    Several sizes of hex drivers and a couple wrenches. (the 13mm open end needed to manually shift a SE5 in an emergency.)
    A 5 & 6mm allen wrenches.

The tools are maybe of questionable quality but good enough for the extremely basic roadside repairs. You need to ask yourself what kind of roadside repairs you are willing to tackle.
    IMHO most breakdowns on the road are rare and would in very many cases need repair parts.

I carry a flashlight.
    A roll of electrical tape.
    A needle nose and lineman pliers.
    Sidecutters.
    A roll of double sided velcro.
    MicroStart jump starter pack.

2018 F3 LIMITED

Spyder Garage

Check your tool kit that came from BRP. Mine had a double ended Torx looking thing that fit in the handle provided. Problem was, the quality was so poor it did not fit the fasteners on the bike.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jcthorne View Post
    Check your tool kit that came from BRP. Mine had a double ended Torx looking thing that fit in the handle provided. Problem was, the quality was so poor it did not fit the fasteners on the bike.
    I also found on mine that one of the torx was a size I haven't found on the bike yet. Thus I added my own torx bits to the toolkit.

Spyder Garage

Default Tools....

many problems seen here are not repairable on the road side so the cell phone and Roger's spyder code app will be your best tools. For those that do dabble in the mechanical/electrical...a tire repair kit and small compressor/pump. Electrical tape, duct tape and zips and the antigravity charger/jump starter. A few additional tools as well. Many stores carry kits...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I am a pack rat and probably the last person that you want to hear from.
    But here goes.
    Since the Spyder is primarily an electric device, a good VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) is essential.
    You can’t begin to diagnose a road problem if you don’t know things like VBat or if there is continuity
    between the SE5 (or SE6) solenoids and the cluster.

A good deep well metric socket set is also nice to have.
    I keep a Bosch electric impact wrench on hand too along with the appropriate star sockets.
    It makes emergency tupperware removal easy.

A spark plug socket and a 36mm socket (for rear wheel) is nice to have.
    A 6” 3/8 extension and a wobbler is also nice.

The Cosmic Rule of Tools applies, You can’t carry everything you will need but a hammer and a bottle jack will help to keep peace of mind.

A good Jumper Box is also helpful.
    This is why it's a blessing to travel with Roger. He's like a Guardian Angel!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

toilet paper. good idea, but instead carry bounty paper towels..(multi-function) .. i used slime and air canisters once.. what a mess.. it's too hard to get the slime into the tire.. pull the schreader valve etc.. a large can of pressurized flat proof is much better, in my view.. i have had several flat tires after the slime experience, and the flat proof saved the day... be sure to warn the guy changing your tire, about what's inside! .... i always carry 3 ft. or so of pliable bailing wire.. if one would loose plastic fasteners, and then suffer a loose panel or whatever may come loose, along with pliers, the wire could help.. these are things that a non-mechanic can use, to find his way home... remember that saying, all the criminals use, when running from the cops....... "i just want to get home" .... i must say, i do not own a spyder (yet).. but i have had many street bikes.. i ride mainly by myself up in the mountains above ventura ca.. spotty cell reception, along with hardly any other vehicles on the road, teach one to be self-sufficient..... life is good ..... chuckk ...

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by granpa in Cincy View Post
    That bottle of Jack is to drink when all else fails to get going again

I see what you did there! HA!
    Craig (& Tee) in Bakersfield
    He's just this I.T. and Voice Over guy.

Our rides.
    2012 Can-Am Spyder RT-S SE5 4400 miles
    2008 BMW 328i E92 (Coupe) 127500 miles
    2005 Chevy Tahoe Z71 4x4 224600 miles

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I am a pack rat and probably the last person that you want to hear from.
    But here goes.
    Since the Spyder is primarily an electric device, a good VOM (Volt Ohm Meter) is essential.
    You can’t begin to diagnose a road problem if you don’t know things like VBat or if there is continuity
    between the SE5 (or SE6) solenoids and the cluster.

A good deep well metric socket set is also nice to have.
    I keep a Bosch electric impact wrench on hand too along with the appropriate star sockets.
    It makes emergency tupperware removal easy.

A spark plug socket and a 36mm socket (for rear wheel) is nice to have.
    A 6” 3/8 extension and a wobbler is also nice.

A good Jumper Box is also helpful.

Thank you everyone. Especially Roger. I would want your opinion all the time. I downloaded your app months before I had the Spyder. I do appreciate everyone's input.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-02-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

With all these suggestions I will not have enough room in my RT 622 trailer for my cloths
    Now 2014 RT Limited Cognac
    Was 2008 GS SM5

Don Garbarino

Cup Holder
    GPS locking holder
    Mud flap
    Modified KNOTT grill
    Phone holder and charger
    Trailer hitch
    Dual air horn
    Auxiliary fuse box with relays
    Heated clothing controller
    volt/oil pressure gauge
    Sequential signals in mirror
    Tri Axis Handle bars
    Baja Ron anti sway bar/heim links
    shorty antenna
    And many more

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Last edited by DrewNJ; 02-02-2015 at 03:16 PM.

Spyder Garage

This may be a stupid question but i was out with my brother on his 2012 RT last week and the right side panel was a little loose so we went to tighten it up with a torx or star bolt whatever you want to call it but his have little nubs in the middle of the head so a regular torx driver wont fit, i figured his tool kit would have one but it just had a regular torx, how do we tighten those up or get them off. My 08 GS doesnt have any of those locking bolts or whatever they are called?

thanks