Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

You were right and quite reserved. I installed an alarm on mine, which came with a pager to notify me of an alarm.
    Ryde as if your life depends on it,
    because it does !! Ryde Safe!
    Vietnam 67-69

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by retread View Post
    I'm seriously thinking of adding an alarm system.

john
    ...or an ejection seat.

Spyder Garage

I once came out of a store to find a woman about to put her small son on my Suzuki. I guess she saw me with my motorcycle jacket on and walking over- and stopped. Probably saw the po'd look on my face and said, 'sorry I didn't know you were coming out...'

So I guess if I hadn't come out it would have been okay... ugh.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Default You were spot on..!!

Glad you were able to keep your cool and handle it the way you did. If they really want to they should waut and ask...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
    She then said she had done the same thing at a Honda Dealership jumping on a trike and someone yelled at her to get off.
    And they did it AGAIN!!??

I guess some people simply can't learn...
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

I've always happily allowed anyone to sit on my Spyder... when they've asked.

Only once did I find someone sitting on the Spyder without asking. I didn't get angry, but I sure as heck dropped the Sarcasm Bomb.

"Really? REALLY?"

"Uh... is this your bike?"

"Well, it's not *yours*, so who did you ask first before sitting on it?"

Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

Spyder Garage

The only time I ever had that problem was well over 30 years ago when I was in the Philippines. I had deployed into the Indian Ocean for a few weeks and when I came home I found my wife had let an acquaintance use my Yamaha RD400. I just looked at her when she told me and said, "You did WHAT?" What made it even worse is he didn't have a Philippines drivers license, let alone a motorcycle license. So, on top of everything else, if he had been stopped the authorities could have confiscated my bike.

When I confronted (nicely) him about it, he said, "Cindy said it was ok." I replied, a little less nicely, "You know better than that...it wasn't hers to SAY it was ok."

I haven't had anyone that I know of sit on my Spyder without permission, though I've been asked (and said it's ok) and even asked those who showed an interest if they wanted to sit on it.

I had a friend in St Louis who found people sitting on his Victory a time or two. He'd walk up to them and explain that they were lucky it was his bike they were sitting on, as many riders would simply walk up and cold cock them off the bike without saying a word. That usually worked pretty well.
    Phil

I may be old, but I got to see all the cool bands.

2011 Spyder RT-AC

Spyder Garage

If they had asked I would have let them sit on the bike under my supervision...i.e.without kicking the saddlebags or dragging their feet across the seat. I do have a Scorpio 900 IR alarms with a perimeter sensor with I installed for when I leave the bike in a public place. I just didn't think I needed it where I was. I like Bobs suggestion about the Spyder Sisters cover and I will get one. I still wouldn't have used it in this situation. You can never under estamate the gall of some people....even ones you know!

thanks for all the support.
    Last edited by Buggy; 12-04-2014 at 09:50 PM.
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Mobey View Post
    I stopped by a friends place on my Spyder RTL where a group of people I know where all sitting around having a happy hour. I went away to have a look at something for the home owner and when I came back I find a elderly couple sitting on my Spyder "trying it out".

To say I was pissed off would be an understatement. As subtly as I could...not easy for a retired Leo...I impressed upon them the lack of etiquette they displayed and let it go as best I could.

Was I wrong?
    I know I shouldn't respond to this because I'll be the only negative response here but I'm going to anyway.

I would never even touch another person's bike without permission, much less sit on it. But I'm an elderly rider, not an elderly person who was obviously intrigued with the Spyder and possibly interested in getting one. Why on earth would you be that pissed off that an elderly couple sat on it? When the esthetics of my Spyder get to be that important to me, I'll quit riding. I ride mine, I don't sit and look at it. So I could care less if the seat has a scuff on it, which is the most likely thing to happen if someone just sat on it. I just don't see the big deal. If they were kicking it or manipulating the controls or trying to get into the storage compartments, that's something else, but just sitting on it?

I'm not saying they were right, of course they weren't. But I just can't see blowing my stack over it, either. By the way, two other questions. What would you have done if they asked your permission to sit on it? And, why is it more difficult for a retired LEO to be subtle than any of the rest of us?

Cotton

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post
    I know I shouldn't respond to this because I'll be the only negative response here but I'm going to anyway.

I would never even touch another person's bike without permission, much less sit on it. But I'm an elderly rider, not an elderly person who was obviously intrigued with the Spyder and possibly interested in getting one. Why on earth would you be that pissed off that an elderly couple sat on it? When the esthetics of my Spyder get to be that important to me, I'll quit riding. I ride mine, I don't sit and look at it. So I could care less if the seat has a scuff on it, which is the most likely thing to happen if someone just sat on it. I just don't see the big deal. If they were kicking it or manipulating the controls or trying to get into the storage compartments, that's something else, but just sitting on it?

I'm not saying they were right, of course they weren't. But I just can't see blowing my stack over it, either. By the way, two other questions. What would you have done if they asked your permission to sit on it? And, why is it more difficult for a retired LEO to be subtle than any of the rest of us?

Cotton
    Thank you for your opinion. The answers to your revelvant questions can be found in previous posts.

cheers
    2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I have yet to find someone sitting on my spyder but I can't understand what people are thinking ? I would never even look closely at someone else's bike without permission . If someone is looking and curious about it then please sit on it and check it out, after asking of course

Spyder Garage

Hi Mobey,

Re: I find a elderly couple sitting on my Spyder "trying it out".

My Spyder has a couple of small scratches on it; one I did. It is currently ( due to the weather ) sitting in the garage. It is dusty & could be cleaner. For me ( and only for me ), it is not a 'show vehicle' of any kind. It is to ride and show the wear that the years/mileage will bring.

Also, I'm 74 yrs old; fortunately I look about 60.

I would have walked up with a smile on my face and a light-hearted comment about, "So what do you think of it?"

This summer I came out of my favorite coffee shop and saw this young fellow ( I would guess about 10 yrs old ) standing next to my Spyder, his mother & grandmother were there also. They were taking a picture of him standing next to my Spyder. As I walked up, I said, "Would he like a photo of himself sitting in the seat?"

But then again, I've never been a cop. I would guess that you & I see the world differently; and there is nothing wrong with that.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

I went to a local dealer to pick up my Spyder, and a SALESMAN had customers sitting on my bike - I had a Corbin seat, and lots of farkles - he said the customer wanted to see what it was like all "tricked out". I've never been back to that dealer for any reason...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

Nope here's some optionsImageUploadedByTapatalk1417756843.503188.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417756872.601608.jpg. Fyi i was informed that catching stranger on my bike i can get them for criminal mischief fyi, not much to go with but better than me getting assault charge. Redneck &all >

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Common sense should dictate that you don't just jump on someone's motorcycle, , car, anything...

How would I handle the situation? It depends on my mood of the moment, how big and mean the perpetrator looks, the situation.

Sometimes having words with morons like this is not going to do a thing. If they are that dumb to start with, there is not much leeway as to where to take it.

I have found no adults on my yet. I have had a couple people ask if they could do a test sit, and I was okay with that, after telling them to be careful not to ding or scratch it getting on or off.

I did go out of a restaurant and give a youngster and his mother what for. I usually park where I can view the bike. I asked the mother what she was thinking, letting her son climb on my bike. The kid was forcefully trying to move the handle bars. I got lucky, nothing got broke, scratched, or dinged.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Spyder Garage

Default Two solutions

1. Yell "stop thief" Call 911 as loud as you can! Let them explain to the police why the were manipulating the controls of your vehicle from the drivers seat.....
    2. Lock and load......
    years ago, I found a guy on my Harley. I discovered if you grab a handful of hair, and press their face into the hot exhaust pipes, they leave in a hurry! PIA to polish off skin......
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

My two-wheeler was seated on once and since then people at work are very careful about picking up a conversation with me. I paid a lot for my pretty bike and I consider it my own personal property. When I came out and found some younger employee straddled on top of it to show off how cool he looked on a bike...let's just say it wasn't pretty. Mind you, I would've let him take a seat on the bike and even helped him do it if only he would have asked. You don't touch or sit on someone else's property without their permission...you just don't.

I don't even want to imagine what I'd do if someone tried that on a newly bought Spyder. I'll need to figure something out to prevent people from doing it while it's parked outside.
    ╔═.♥. ═══════════════════════════════
    ║Proud owner of a 2012 Spyder RT-S that has yet to be named...
    ╚══════.♥. ════════════════════════════

Very Active Member mastertek2000's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

that's just wrong just like touching my gal are they crazy

Spyder Garage

how could you be wrong, unless they are paying for YOUR spyder.
    community property isn't the law of the land(yet).

this posting has been vetted, scrubbed and endorsed by the
    committee for postings

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bfromla View Post
    Nope here's some optionsImageUploadedByTapatalk1417756843.503188.jpgImageUploadedByTapatalk1417756872.601608.jpg. Fyi i was informed that catching stranger on my bike i can get them for criminal mischief fyi, not much to go with but better than me getting assault charge. Redneck &all >

Furthermore I've had to help friends get on the bike, first one didn't use floorboards and bike was to wide, almost face planted, would have broke antenna, you get the idea.

2013 STL SE5 BLACK CURRANT
    SpyderPop's: LED bumpskid
    SmoothSpyder: dualmode back rest
    T r * * LED:foam grip covers, Tricrings, FenderZ,
    brake light strips, wide vue mirrors
    Rivico SOMA modulation brake leds
    sawblade mowhalk fender accents
    minispyder dash toy
    Lid lox
    KradelLock
    Pakitrack
    GENSSI ELITE LED H4 headlights
    FLO (Frunk Lid Organizer)
    BRP fog lights, trailer hitch
    SENA 20S EVO
    2013 STL , Stock Stock Black currant

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Rattigan_Roger View Post
    I think you should have told them how lucky they were that it was you.

There’s a Sons of Anarchy sequence where they find someone sitting on their bike.
    It wasn’t pretty.
    Agreed!!!

​Chris

Spyder Garage

Default Borrow what ???

My favorite is a relative of my daughter-in-law, who just got his motorcycle license, called and asked if he could borrow my spyder to see if he liked it. Needless to say I was shocked that he would ask such a thing. I told him, that was what dealers were for.

Dennis
    2013 ST Limited

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default I could see the situation reversed...

where the person (s) sitting on my bike got injured getting on or off the bike and ending up suing for medical costs for their injury. The world with regard to respect for other people's property, personal responsibility, has just really gotten off-kilter..No way would I let anyone on my bike in these days...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bikeguy View Post

Cotton
    While scuffs and heel marks rub out (I've put enough on to know), It's more the principle of the thing. Personal property is personal property. I compare someone sitting on the Spyder the same as someone hopping in my car without permission. Regardless of whether the car has a door that can be locked, and Spyder is all open, both events are the same when it comes to intrusion of space.

I've let, and invited many people to sit on the spyder when they come to look at it, but I would have the same reaction if I found someone taking it upon themselves to start playing around with my stuff without my permission.

Spyder Garage

In general, if someone shows interest and asks to sit on my machine, I'll consent. But only if I am there and they ask.
    If they ask to ride it, that's a different story. I tell them that to ride it, I need the title to their comparable vehicle or replacement cash in hand, MY HAND, before they take off.
    If I invite them to ride, collateral is not required.