Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default took a ride to see the SLINGSHOT today

i took a ride to the dealer today to see the slingshot's he got in. as i pulled up the owner was taking his wife out on the red one so i didn't get pictures of that, but they had the grey one in the showroom. i didn't sit in it because there were people looking at it and i was embarrassed that i would have a hard time getting out of it. i was impressed at how big it was. the grey one was the base model so no radio or windshield on it, there are two things i think they should do with it. one being a full role bar, this would also help with getting in and out of it. and a racing type steering wheel that could be removed for us FULL FIGURED MEN OR LADIES for a more open space for getting in and out of it. i was also surprised at the size of the engine and that they are using a belt drive rear wheel. all in all if i had a garage i would be torn between my spyder and the slingshot.
    click picture to enlarge

20141204_115358.jpg20141204_115652.jpg20141204_115317.jpg20141204_115308.jpg
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

John

Getting in was not too hard, getting out was a real problem

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Joe,
    Didn't they just throw you a rope with a noose on the end of it, pitch the other end up over a tree branch, and tell you to put the noose around your...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Joe,
    Didn't they just throw you a rope with a noose on the end of it, pitch the other end up over a tree branch, and tell you to put the noose around your...

You are truly a mean man.

Cruzr joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

my friend bill is taller than i am and he found his knees were up a lil higher than he liked but the role bar would be something to grab on to to help me get in and out
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cuznjohn View Post
    my friend bill is taller than i am and he found his knees were up a lil higher than he liked but the role bar would be something to grab on to to help me get in and out

So ........................... if you got in .............................. you would have to stay there until they added a roll bar??

Cruzr joe

Spyder Garage

if there were not so many people looking at it i would of tried it, i most likely would of been able to do it because the wheel does tilt, i didn't realize that till i left the showroom. but i was impressed by it.
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Thanks for the update John.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Cruzr Joe View Post
    So ........................... if you got in .............................. you would have to stay there until they added a roll bar??

Cruzr joe
    Joe,
    Have you ever seen those jigs that will spin a car over and upside down? They use them for restoring old cars...
    If John could get Bill to strap this buggy into it, and give it a spin...

Spyder Garage

Joe,
    Have you ever seen those jigs that will spin a car over and upside down? They use them for restoring old cars...
    If John could get Bill to strap this buggy into it, and give it a spin...
    that is a great idea bob, i could get one for the house and just pull in to it and dump myself out lol
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I was trying to come up with an idea that seemed less cruel, than the one that I gave to Joe...

Spyder Garage

I was trying to come up with an idea that seemed less cruel, than the one that I gave to Joe...
    Just don't get anyone hurt.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Since it appears that ingress/egress issues may abound; I'm working on a small explosive charge under the seats that would gently lift the operator and passenger out of the vehicle, and place them alongside the doors.
    My problem: do you think that 500 pounds of C-4 per side, will be enough?

Spyder Garage

well you know my size so do you think 500 pounds would be enough, now if a electric winch attached to the head role bar could be done than that would be a great idea and less noise than the c4
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Spyder Garage

Default Good to hear..!!

sorry you didn't get to sit in it or for that matter test it. It's a looker from the front...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

500 lbs of C4. That be one hell of a fart....

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

RE: I'm working on a small explosive charge under the seats that would gently lift the operator and passenger out of the vehicle, and place them alongside the doors.

I understand that there are quite few of the Takata airbags available on the surplus market. Probably could pick one or two up fairly cheap these days. You should give your local Honda dealer a call.

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

That's a GREAT idea!!
    I'm thinking that if I load about seven of them under each seat; it ought to work pretty well...

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

We got back from a fact-finding mission about the SlingShot about an hour ago... They will clearly be as much fun as a Spyder... but in a different way! If you think of them as a sports car, instead of a motorcycle; you'll be much happier.
    SlingShot 121.jpgSlingShot 114.jpgSlingShot 129.jpgSlingShot 130.jpg
    The fit and finish of it seemed pretty decent. The seats were a bit... hard and slippery, but they offered good support. The slipperiness probably had to do with waterproofing, but it will also help with ingress and egress too. It's got a tilt-steering wheel, cruise control, reclining seats. (The driver's one moves fore and aft so that you can get to the pedals.
    The highline model here comes with the one piece windshield, larger tires, and an infotainment system that includes a back-up camera.
    Oh! The drivebelt system Is notable, in that the belt rides on double-flanged pulleys. It'll either stay put and work great; or you'll know it REAL quick. I think that it may be an improvement over the Spyder's single-flanged setup.
    A 5-speed manual is the only choice for now; but they're talking about a paddle shifter in the near future, and the accessory field for these critters is wide open... You'll soon see more storage, trailer hitches, full roofs...
    As for climbing in and out of it... It's definitely a learned skill! The first time; I had all sorts of fun getting my legs folded up enough to get them inside the vehicle. Climbing out is a leap of faith; you sort of have to trust that eventually you'll find something solid down there to put your paw on...
    The Missus was even impressed enough to say that she'd ride in it... as an ADDITION to the stable, but not as a replacement for the Spyder.

Spyder Garage

Hi Bob,

Re: got back from a fact-finding mission about the SlingShot

The StealthMan has moved in.

I just posted the link to a WSJ article on the Slinger in the other thread,

Jerry Baumchen
    'I'll never forget what's her name.'

'Things are more like they are now than they ever have been before.' Dwight Eisenhower

2008 GS SE-5

Spyder Garage

We got back from a fact-finding mission about the SlingShot about an hour ago... They will clearly be as much fun as a Spyder... but in a different way! If you think of them as a sports car, instead of a motorcycle; you'll be much happier.
    SlingShot 121.jpgSlingShot 114.jpgSlingShot 129.jpgSlingShot 130.jpg
    The fit and finish of it seemed pretty decent. The seats were a bit... hard and slippery, but they offered good support. The slipperiness probably had to do with waterproofing, but it will also help with ingress and egress too. It's got a tilt-steering wheel, cruise control, reclining seats. (The driver's one moves fore and aft so that you can get to the pedals.
    The highline model here comes with the one piece windshield, larger tires, and an infotainment system that includes a back-up camera.
    Oh! The drivebelt system Is notable, in that the belt rides on double-flanged pulleys. It'll either stay put and work great; or you'll know it REAL quick. I think that it may be an improvement over the Spyder's single-flanged setup.
    A 5-speed manual is the only choice for now; but they're talking about a paddle shifter in the near future, and the accessory field for these critters is wide open... You'll soon see more storage, trailer hitches, full roofs...
    As for climbing in and out of it... It's definitely a learned skill! The first time; I had all sorts of fun getting my legs folded up enough to get them inside the vehicle. Climbing out is a leap of faith; you sort of have to trust that eventually you'll find something solid down there to put your paw on...
    The Missus was even impressed enough to say that she'd ride in it... as an ADDITION to the stable, but not as a replacement for the Spyder.
    just imagine a guy my size getting in and out of that
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Ummm... Thanks; but I'd rather not!
    John,
    You had no trouble getting into the navigator's seat... there's a lot more fighting room available!
    Alternately; see if they can adapt a quick-release steering wheel to it for you...

Spyder Garage

that was one of the ideas i mentioned but still no place to put the thing, but i love the red one
    NO BIKE AT THIS TIME

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...So did the Missus.

...And yours truly!