Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Dang!!! Need help.

Anyone ever had to remove this piece from the Spyder? Got a paint chip on a brand new machine and I can't live with it like that. Going to have to remove it and take it to the paint shop. Also does the chrome pieces come off of this piece? Paint shop said they can't paint it on the machine because it will eventually start to peel if they don't do it right which is why the chrome has to come off also. If it does come off is there some instructions somewhere that will guide me through it? Not a great mechanic but I will try anything once.

A little help please.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Utah Geezer View Post
    Anyone ever had to remove this piece from the Spyder? Got a paint chip on a brand new machine and I can't live with it like that. Going to have to remove it and take it to the paint shop. Also does the chrome pieces come off of this piece? Paint shop said they can't paint it on the machine because it will eventually start to peel if they don't do it right which is why the chrome has to come off also. If it does come off is there some instructions somewhere that will guide me through it? Not a great mechanic but I will try anything once.

A little help please.

First off you need to tell us which piece you are talking about, if it is a paintable body part it should come off .

Cruzr Joe
    2018 F3 Limited, BRP Driver Backrest, Spyderpops Lighted Bump Skid, Dual Spyclops Light, Mirror Turn Signals, Laser Alignment, Engine LEDs, Fog Lights With Halo's, Cushion Handgrips, BRT LEDs, and Under Lighting, Lamonster IPS, (with Clock), F4 25" Vented Windshield with Wings, Airhawk "R" Cushions. Position 4 Brake setting, Short reach Handlebars, Dash Mounted Voltmeter and 12 Volt Plug. Set of 3rd pegs. Extended Passenger Seat. Exterior BRP Connect setup, Ultimate Trailer

Spyder Garage

Default Picture of part that needs to be removed.

Sorry have a tough time getting the pic to post. Hang on I'll get it yet.

Spyder Garage

Default Pic of part to remove.

Spyder damage.jpg

Well its sideways but I think you get the picture of what part and where the paint chip is. Cock your head sideways and it will make perfect sense.

Spyder Garage

If you ride much, this will not be your last chip. What would I do? I would get some matching touch up paint, apply a dab or two, let it dry for a few days, then use some compound and smooth it off. A lot cheaper and no one will ever notice it.
    2008 GS SE5 in 2008
    Traded at 43,000 miles for a left over
    2010 RT SM5 in 2011
    Traded at 57,000 for a left over
    2014 RTS SE6 in 2015, which has 35,000 miles
    Oct 19th, 2017, totaled 2014 RT while killing a Javaline
    Dec 12th, 2017 drove a 2017 F3L home. What an awesome machine!

Never had any breakdown stranded issues.

Spyder Garage

After you do the patch bit, get a sheet of hood protector plastic sheeting, and clean, then cover that part. Should be good to go.

I use the plastic on the front of my saddle bags too - takes care of potential scuffing by passengers...
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dennis, removing most anything on an RT starts with the mirrors and requires that everything between the problem and the mirrors must be removed.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Have to agree..!!

lotta work. Try the touchup and protective vinyl and see if you can live with it. If not then go for the full on painting. If you go for the full job think about if you want some custom work while you have all the panels off anyway...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

A little help please.

Amazing. Simply amazing. I had an IDENTICAL chip when I received delivery of my brand spanking new 2013 almost two years ago. My dealer had it replaced. Is there any possibility this could have occurred?

​Chris

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default If you ride there will be chips.

Quote Originally Posted by Dudley View Post
    If you ride much, this will not be your last chip. What would I do? I would get some matching touch up paint, apply a dab or two, let it dry for a few days, then use some compound and smooth it off. A lot cheaper and no one will ever notice it.
    My 2011 now has 26000 miles and to my dismay chips. I stressed at first but after every riding season take the bike apart and have it painted. not an option for me. this sucks. But like above riding = chips.

Spyder Garage

Curious in regards to the "paint shop" the op is talking about. I would expect an automotive paint shop that is known for high end work on performance cars could touch this up and blend it while installed fairly easily.

No doubt everyone prefers to paint items off the vehicle, but sometimes it is just not practical.

PK

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It looks like you have the Pearl White same as me. Tried ordering the pearl white touch up paint from Touch up Direct but the colour was way off. There was to much grey in it. At first it really bothered me because my eyes would go right to it, because I knew exactly where the spot was. After a few weeks, it didn’t even matter. I figure if I get a lot of chips I can always replace the part.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Dennis, I thought the dealer was going to repair it for you? Let them worry about removing all of the plastic.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer is balking

The dealer is balking because I drove it off the lot and 5 miles home before I noticed it. I inspected everything but the front end and noticed the chip after I got home. I called them immediately and all they said was bring it in and talk to the shop. He said he would submit a claim to BRP and see what happens. I'm not too optimistic. And it really bugs me. I have spent $48,000 at that dealership in the last year between the new Spyder and a Commander UTV. I upgrade every few years so we will see how they treat me.

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    Dennis, I thought the dealer was going to repair it for you? Let them worry about removing all of the plastic.

Spyder Garage

Get a life,,, if you can't stand chips, better leave it in the garage,,, oh opps, that's where my first one came from,,,, it's just that if you are going to enjoy it, it's going to show signs of use,,, luckily what's under the paint don't rust.

Spyder Garage

Mask it off and spray entire nose piece with Plasti-coat, perhaps a flat black. If you don't like it, it peels off easily.
    Two Wheelers from 1963-2011

Three Wheelers:
    2011 RT(Red)
    2014 RT(white)
    2016 F3T(red)
    2022 RT current ride(silver)

Spyder Garage

Default Dealer Stepped Up

Well, I finally heard from my dealer. The service manager Chad stepped up and went to bat for me against BRP. He hit a homer and they are replacing the part. Dealership did the right thing and will continue to get my business. Just waiting for the part to come in.

Spyder Garage

Default Good!

Glad they stepped up!
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Default Touchup Paint

20150926_112112.jpgI have 2 different Spyder RTs to do some touchup but can't seem to find the paint. 1 is a 2014 RT SM6 Pearl White and the other is a 2015 RT Limited Ruby Red. Anyone know where I can get some touchup paint for these bikes? They are the red and the white ones are all the same color.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Retsailor38; 06-26-2016 at 03:51 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I found my touch-up paint in here:

https://touchupdirect.com/
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Touchup Paint

Thanks Bob, the only problem I have now is they show the color as Intense Red but if you look at the picture it is not that bright in color.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Retsailor38 View Post
    Thanks Bob, the only problem I have now is they show the color as Intense Red but if you look at the picture it is not that bright in color.
    You absolutely CANNOT go by or trust the color as you see it on your computer. The ONLY way to know for sure is to order it and use it.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Default Or get a Spyder Bra like this...

We've had the Show Chrome protector like this for about a year. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2914396...&ul_noapp=true

Seems to be serving us well although it needs a little vinyl restorer from time to time.
    2015 RT , OEM Black Gloss

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by AeroPilot View Post
    We've had the Show Chrome protector like this for about a year. http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/2914396...&ul_noapp=true

Seems to be serving us well although it needs a little vinyl restorer from time to time.
    Oh!!! Thanks for pointing this out. Ordered.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Well, I finally heard from my dealer. The service manager Chad stepped up and went to bat for me against BRP. He hit a homer and they are replacing the part. Dealership did the right thing and will continue to get my business. Just waiting for the part to come in.
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black