Very Active Member OverHillAndDale's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Mounting suggestions for my TPMS

have ridden with a TPMS since I had an unfortunate experience with a low tire, but I hate the way I have mounted this one. It has to be remove able to be turned on and to replace the battery. I've used Velcro on the right side, and used a right angle with a hole to hold up the antenna side.

In addition to not liking to rely on Velcro at highway speeds, this is plain ugly. RAM says none of their mounts can grip anything this small. ImageUploadedByTapatalk1416958249.833242.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    2020- RT Limited
    Chalk White, Can-Am rear passenger armrests, Comfort Seat, Grip puppies, RAM Cup Holders, Providence RAM Mount
    FOBO2 TPMS
    Aluma MCTXL trailer
    BRP hitch
    Big Bike Parts wiring harness
    Permanent Smile!!!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Have you tried mounting it in the glove compartment?
    I took the foam insulation from mine, and cut a hole in it to fit my garage door opener...
    It works great!

EDIT: I see that you've got a 2014. You'll need to either buy the liner from a prior model year, or see if anyone has one that they're not using...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have mine mounted with Velcro for the last 3 years and it has not come off yet only to change battery if needed . I have it on the glove box door ( for lack of a better name for it) between my legs and can push the button to turn it on & off with out moving it. I do take it off if I am riding in the rain.

Spyder Garage

Default Don't know..!!

if you remove the suction cup on a ram mount..mount it to that base you could then use a ram mount arm to attach it to a ram ball...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Default TPMS

some of these TPMS aren't cheap.....
    http://www.dhgate.com/wholesale/sear...=TPMS&catalog=

let me ask: CAN YOU USE
    "RIDE-ON" WITH THESE....???
    dp
    Last edited by SPYD3R; 11-25-2014 at 08:49 PM.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by OverHillAndDale View Post
    have ridden with a TPMS since I had an unfortunate experience with a low tire, but I hate the way I have mounted this one. It has to be remove able to be turned on and to replace the battery. I've used Velcro on the right side, and used a right angle with a hole to hold up the antenna side.

In addition to not liking to rely on Velcro at highway speeds, this is plain ugly. RAM says none of their mounts can grip anything this small.
    As a high holding power substitute for velcro take a look at Scotch Dual Lock fastener. It's kind of a super duty tough version of velcro. Some came with my Edsets headset to hold the module on the helmet and I used about a 1" square piece to hold my Samsung tablet to the cradle after the end latch/catch broke off. I got it from Walmart in the same display as glues and velcro.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

i keep saying i wish they had built in TPMS for our little , i don't know why it is mandatory on cars but not
    bikes. i can't speak for others but my life rides on my tires.

Spyder Garage

Question

A question about the TPMS add-on systems. Most are for a four tire vehicle.
    For our rides, how does it know to monitor only three?
    Seems as it would always report an error in pressure. ? ? ?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

There are units designed for use on trikes...
    And some are even set up for Spyders!

Spyder Garage

Default Types of TPMS

You can buy these things for 2, 3, 4 and even 5 tires (3 for the bike and 2 for the trailer). Big Bike Parts makes a TPMS for trikes, but the display shows one in front and two in back (my mind is still sharp enough to look at the front and know it's the back). Someone (don't remember who) makes one where the display is proper for Spyders. I bought the Big Bike Parts model because it is on sale from about $120 as opposed to $200 which is the normal price.

One issue with the Velcro, be it the standard Velcro or the industrial stuff is the the unit is poorly designed for mounting. The top is curved, and of course the curve doesn't match the inside of the Spyder dash. The on switch is also on top, so it has to be accessible. The back bulges around the battery so can't be mounted flat. It comes with a keychain connector but I removed it - the unit is useless if you can't see it.

I'm curious about the RAM mount with the suction cup removed - how did you envision that end attaching to this device?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Someone (don't remember who) makes one where the display is proper for Spyders.
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/Can-Am-Spyde...1974e6&vxp=mtr

Spyder Garage

My question is "have you replaced the valve stems before installing sensors?" I have been told to NEVER put screw on sensors on any valve stems other than a straight metal one. The centrifugal forces while at speed will cause failure on 90 degree or angled rubber stems!
    2015 an Am Spyder RT Limited
    2013 Yamaha WR250R - Sold
    2011 Can Am Spyder RT-S SE5 Limited - Sold
    2011 Aspen Sentry Trailer
    2003 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2007 Unigo Trailer - Sold
    2001 BMW K1200LT - Sold
    2001 Honda 750 NightHawk - sold
    2015 RT Ltd , Canamspyderaccessories Brake pedal ext. Red

Registered Users ursamajor35126's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I'm curious about the RAM mount with the suction cup removed - how did you envision that end attaching to this device?
    Dale my new RTL came with the Zumo GPS... in the GPS box are numerous mounting option parts that are not needed on the RTL. Since you also have a RTL maybe you can "adapt" some of this stuff to mount your monitor. JT's dash mount system with the ram mount "X" mount is working great for my phone.... maybe give him a call and see what he recommends. http://gnipsel.com/spyderstore/index...tegory&path=63
    2014 RT Ltd Black Currant, Bump Skid, TricLed 3rd, 4th and 5th Brake Light with Modulator, TricLed Safety Bundle Led's and Reflectors with flasher option, TricLed Vader lights, JT's dash mount and USB outlet. Baker Wings belt tensioner and Drivers cup holder. Lamonster's FFP highway pegs and IPS, BRP Trailer hitch with Bushtec pin and 2007 Bushtec Roadster GT trailer. Volt Meter. Baja Ron Sway Bar. Doc Humphry's spring spacers

Mike

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

One issue with the Velcro, be it the standard Velcro or the industrial stuff is the the unit is poorly designed for mounting. The top is curved, and of course the curve doesn't match the inside of the Spyder dash. The on switch is also on top, so it has to be accessible. The back bulges around the battery so can't be mounted flat. It comes with a keychain connector but I removed it - the unit is useless if you can't see it.
    I wondered if that might be an issue, although that can probably be overcome with some ingenuity by creating a contoured mounting surface to attach to the dash. Or maybe a two sided interface piece, one side to fit the TPMS and the other to fit the dash. Just thinkin' is all.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

The one I have is made for the Spyder. It is from HawksHead ( www.tpms.ca ).
    It was 219.00 with shipping.
    I have it mounted to JT'S dash mount with a small 2 inch extension and 2 1/2 inch base from ram ball.
    4" Stubby antenna, Dual arm LEDs Fender LEDs, Back Rest, Luggage Rack, Run, Brake and Strobe for top case, Mirror LEDs,Back Off decal on mud flap, reciptal for Battery Tender and Heated Gear, mirror LEDs that stay on or work with blinkers, GPS, side bag red LEDs, Top cuff with Ram Ball phone holder And USB power, Top cuff with drink holder and passenger cup holder. Also grilles in front of radiators, also spyclops. Garmin 595 GPS, Freedom windshield. Also glove box console And trunk wrap in carbon fiber from wrap my spyder. BRP comfort seat. added garage opener with rocker switch in center console to match other switches. And I have added Elka stage 2 shocks.
    15 rt , yes Black

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bmwlarry View Post
    My question is "have you replaced the valve stems before installing sensors?" I have been told to NEVER put screw on sensors on any valve stems other than a straight metal one. The centrifugal forces while at speed will cause failure on 90 degree or angled rubber stems!
    i'm not going to get into it, but no it is not true.
    i have been working with tpms since 1991.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by samewok View Post
    The one I have is made for the Spyder. It is from HawksHead ( www.tpms.ca ).
    It was 219.00 with shipping.
    I have it mounted to JT'S dash mount with a small 2 inch extension and 2 1/2 inch base from ram ball.
    or three??

Spyder Garage

Default I've read the literature about using stainless steel stems

I've read the literature about stainless steel stems, and I will replace mine at my next tire change. That said, I've used these for years without issue. The front tires have 45 degree stems and the lightweight sensors actually flex against the wheels so I doubt there is much stress on the stems.

Since I asked this question, I've tried velcro in 2 or 3 other places without success. My next step will be the industrial strength velcro as suggested.

Spyder Garage

Default Heavy Duty Velcro worked

In addition to holding sufficiently strong, the unit hangs at the proper angle now (previously it kind of hung down, like it was sad it knew it wasn't viewable).

I mounted it on the lip just in front of the BRP logo.

IMG_0700.jpg

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

What'd you have playing on your IPod??

Spyder Garage

Default iPod music?

I have a 16 GB iPod Nano in my trunk loaded with music when music was born (plus a few other items so people will call me eclectic ).
    - Rock from the late sixties through early eighties (that is 80% of my collection), including ALL of the Beatles, Eagles, Eric Clapton, Rolling Stones, CCR, most of ELO and a few others)
    - Some soft rock ie. James Taylor, Janis Ian, Carole King, Moody Blues
    - A bit of classic such as Vivaldi
    - A smidgen of country, primarily Emma Lou Harris
    - Some Christian praise
    - A few of high-energy motorcycle riding tunes

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

...Only an eight-Gig here.
    But it holds some of the noisiest stuff that isn't fit for human consumption...
    Late-Sixties through Early-Eighties Heavy Metal...

It keeps the wax from collecting in my ears!