Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    for those of you using a tablet where do you put it
    Look at the photos in post #21. http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...BRP-GPS-Part-1

JT's mount is worth looking at. Fasten RAM mounts to it to hold the tablet cradle.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Jack how much does xm cost and is it a separate subscription for the weather and traffic?
    I read on a forum that guys can finagle all kinds of discounts, some by quitting and signing up again, or simply threatening to quit. As in all such subscriptions if you simply accept the signup and/or renewal terms they send you, they win and you lose.

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WasWinger View Post
    I read on a forum that guys can finagle all kinds of discounts, some by quitting and signing up again, or simply threatening to quit. As in all such subscriptions if you simply accept the signup and/or renewal terms they send you, they win and you lose.
    thanks, not sure if I need it.
    does the XM work through the Spyder radio?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It can... if you have the module installed.
    For my money; I bought an Onyx XM receiver, and used the MP3 cable to tie it into the radio system.
    It gets treated just like an MP3 player (NOT an IPod).
    for $50; rather than $400... I can climb out of the saddle to change the station!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

for those of you using a tablet where do you put it
    I also use a 7” Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with the Sygic Navigation app. There is a little learning curve with the Sygic app as it does not use the same menu structure as a typical GPS although I wish they would.

I use the RAM X-Grip mounts, the small one for my phone on the handlebar and the larger one for the tablet up on the dash. To block the sun I use a Glare Stomper http://www.glarestomper.com for the tablet. So far I haven’t hooked Spyder 12 volt power to the phone or tablet, I use a couple of those USB battery packs. The tablet is a power hog with its screen on all the time at full brightness during the day so you need a big USB battery pack for it if you don’t hook it to the Spyder’s power. To hold all this stuff in place I use JT’s dash mount bracket and RAM Mounts with the 1” balls and assorted length arms.

This is the best picture I have of my setup. By putting the tablet (or a GPS) up high I don’t lose peripheral vision of the road when I look at the map on the tablet and it does not block my view of the road. When I had a temporary GPS mounted in the OEM position it seemed like I might just as well been checking my fly when I looked down to see the map. I lost all vision of the road ahead.

Have fun!
    Charles

Tablet GPS Mount.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    So far I haven’t hooked Spyder 12 volt power to the phone or tablet, I use a couple of those USB battery packs. The tablet is a power hog with its screen on all the time at full brightness during the day so you need a big USB battery pack for it if you don’t hook it to the Spyder’s power.
    You're right about it being a power hog. I tried using a USB extension between the USB power adapter and the tablet cable. Didn't work adequately. Finally moved things around so the USB power adapter was close enough to the tablet to use only a Samsung USB cable between the tablet and power adapter. Apparently the USB spec limits the adapter power output to 2.1 amps and the tablet sucks it all up. No margin for cable voltage loss at all. I have a 12 volt power plug under the right side service panel in the frunk wired directly to the battery boost posts, w/ fuse of course.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Default the "build" says Garmin ZUMO 590

With my RT limited, I have a zumo 660. it works for me, I have no complaints. When I did the build options for the F3, it specifically mentions the Zumo 590. After poking around on Amazon and some other sites, I feel ok about getting it built on with the bike, but I get that's not right for everyone. I just wanted to make sure that the right info is out there. We're not talking about the F3 getting a Zumo 660.
    Last edited by vondalyn; 11-26-2014 at 04:23 PM.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

I'm totally distracted by the neighbor's design choice for window dressing. Wow
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

CoPilot and Sygic apps. No sound at all with Sygic, so the 29.00 was a waste. CoPilot wasn't any different, but did have sound. Verizon works good enough for me

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    CoPilot and Sygic apps. No sound at all with Sygic, so the 29.00 was a waste. CoPilot wasn't any different, but did have sound. Verizon works good enough for me
    With Sygic did you go into the settings menus and turn on voice notifications? You also have to go into regional settings and select a language and voice. There's also an option to download TTS voices which are needed to announce road numbers, I think it is. You have a whole slew of language choices, maybe even including Swahili! Then you can select your choice of several voice accents which for English go from American to British to Australian. There's a button to use or not use the smartphone speaker. That has to be unchecked to get sound through the plug-in headset. If you're using BT then it probably has to be checked.

In other words, you can't just load Sygic, open it up, and expect it to work. You have to set a number of parameters for your liking to use it. Give it a try. I think you'll really like it once you get it figured out. IMO, it is $29 well spent, not wasted. One reason for all the setting options is that it is a global program, not just North American. They use maps from various suppliers from around the world, which for NA is Tom Tom.

2014 Copper RTS

Spyder Garage

Yes, all the settings have been made along with the downloads, just don't work. All the features work, with no voice not really usable.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by WA5VHU View Post
    I also use a 7” Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 with the Sygic Navigation app. There is a little learning curve with the Sygic app as it does not use the same menu structure as a typical GPS although I wish they would.

I use the RAM X-Grip mounts, the small one for my phone on the handlebar and the larger one for the tablet up on the dash. To block the sun I use a Glare Stomper http://www.glarestomper.com for the tablet. So far I haven’t hooked Spyder 12 volt power to the phone or tablet, I use a couple of those USB battery packs. The tablet is a power hog with its screen on all the time at full brightness during the day so you need a big USB battery pack for it if you don’t hook it to the Spyder’s power. To hold all this stuff in place I use JT’s dash mount bracket and RAM Mounts with the 1” balls and assorted length arms.

This is the best picture I have of my setup. By putting the tablet (or a GPS) up high I don’t lose peripheral vision of the road when I look at the map on the tablet and it does not block my view of the road. When I had a temporary GPS mounted in the OEM position it seemed like I might just as well been checking my fly when I looked down to see the map. I lost all vision of the road ahead.

Have fun!
    Charles

Tablet GPS Mount.jpg
    Wow, that looks like a cockpit of a plane I used to fly. Operating all that I hope your not too busy to ride safely.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    Yes, all the settings have been made along with the downloads, just don't work. All the features work, with no voice not really usable.
    Did you see the option to mute the sound? Maybe your sound is muted. If you haven't found it it's in the pop up at the bottom of the screen when you touch the bar at the top of the screen. It stays up for only a few seconds so you may have to bring it up more than once. I do.

Also, Sygic controls the volume independent of your regular phone volume setting. Make sure volume is not turned way down in Sygic.

If none of these ideas fix your sound problem then all I can figure is there is some sort of incompatibility between Sygic and your phone. What phone do you have?

2014 Copper RTS