Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default GPS or VZ Navigator?

Ordered the F3 totally stock ( because of accessory prices) but am considering the GPS. I use my Smartphone Navigator app now for those needs. Can anyone offer their opinion on why I should go for BRP GPS or is the Smartphone just as good? I get turn by turn through my Bluetooth now. Just curious what I'm missing to substantiate dropping most likely another 1,000 + on it.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

If I were you; I wouldn't change what's been working so well...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

I see no reason to spend a grand and clutter the handlebars when Bluetooth turn by turn is working ! Besides think of how many farkles $1000 will buy
    Current: "Scarlett", 2017 Can Am F3-T, SE6, Intense Red Pearl.
    BRP heated grips, DIY brake light strip and turn signal strips, Chrome/LED brake light tag frame, SpyderPops bumpskid, Baja Ron swaybar and billet links, Lamonster Third Peg, BRP Adjustable Passenger Backrest, SpyderPops Missing Belt Guard, ShowChrome oversize brake pedal, TricLED foglights.

Previous: "Synthia", 2014 Can Am Spyder RT, SM6, Pearl White.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by GunDoctor View Post
    Ordered the F3 totally stock ( because of accessory prices) but am considering the GPS. I use my Smartphone Navigator app now for those needs. Can anyone offer their opinion on why I should go for BRP GPS or is the Smartphone just as good? I get turn by turn through my Bluetooth now. Just curious what I'm missing to substantiate dropping most likely another 1,000 + on it.
    Do Not Get the 660--Get the 665 if you get a GPS. You get XM, Traffic and reroute, Real time Weather as you ride i.e.. rain showers and thunderstorms, plus many other features the 660 doe not have. Last I checked you could get them online for $500-600. They are phasing in the new Garmin 590. To be standard on the new RT Limited shortly.

That having been said if you have a iPhone 6 plus or large Samsung you could get at least a readable screen while riding, XM radio and Weather without the Garmin 665.

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

The only problem I have with the smartphone navigation is when you get into rural areas and lose signal. I am trying out the Tom Tom Rider and so far I like it. $400 and it has a winding route feature. Not enough use to say it is more accurate than the Garmin 660, but the 660 has made far to many mistakes to warrant the cost.
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

I am going with the smartphone on my F3.. I have found the navigation app on my smartphone to be vastly superior to the garmin gps that I have on my RTL. with Verizon I very seldom have any problem maintaining a signal even in remote areas
    220,000 Mile Spyder Ryder, IBA Premier member #59352, Saddlesore 1000 (11), Bun Burner 1500 (3), Saddlesore 2000 (2), Bun Burner Gold, MILEEATER SILVER

Spyder Garage

I had the 660 & then the 665 on my spyder and bluetoothed into my helmet. Since, I have been using the iPhone on the new wheels and find the clarity & sound much louder and clearer in my helmet whether it be xm, nav directions or music loaded onto iPhone. Not sure why, but like it.

The iPhone 6 plus is probably in my future as to not clutter the cockpit with devices. Whatever works best for ya!
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Looks like I'm in the minority but I prefer a dedicated GPS unit, and I have been a Garmin fan since the very early days. I'm just not willing to put my navigational needs in the hands of wireless carriers...the coverage in some areas is too spotty for my liking.
    MEP
    ​2019 F3 Limited

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Highwayman2013 View Post
    The only problem I have with the smartphone navigation is when you get into rural areas and lose signal. I am trying out the Tom Tom Rider and so far I like it. $400 and it has a winding route feature. Not enough use to say it is more accurate than the Garmin 660, but the 660 has made far to many mistakes to warrant the cost.
    Navigon or TomTom apps will give you the same functionality as a Garmin or TomTom unit and you won't need a data connection once you have the maps downloaded.
    Our Scenic Life - Spyder Videos
    https://www.youtube.com/channel/OurScenicLife

Ask me about my Spyder.
    2014 Black Can-Am Spyder RT

Spyder Garage

Default Some observations

Here are a few comments from a new Spyder RT-S Ryder. I have used both a Samsung Galaxy IIIS and a Garmin Nuvi XXX mounted in the center of the handlebars and both work well for audio directions with a Bluetooth headset. The screen on the smartphone washes out completely in direct sunshine and the Nuvi nearly so. From that perspective I would recommend one of the Garmin motorcycle units which are a lot brighter. I personally like the user interface and navigation features of Google Maps better than Garmin products. Google Maps has one huge problem that has already been mentioned. If you try to create a new route while out of 3G/4G range, you simply won't be able to do it because the maps and route information are downloaded when you create a route. A current route is available without cell service but once you change it you can't get it back or create another route without 3G/4G. In this situation, I use a paid app that runs on Google devices and turns your smartphone or tablet into a stand alone GPS. Its called Copilot. With this app, you download maps of the entire USA, Canada and some other countries (assuming you have the spare memory). It works a lot like a Garmin GPS but the user interface is not as good as the Google one, in my opinion.

Edit: Just reading the original title, there was a mention of VZ Navigator. That is a Verizon add-on product. In my opinion, it is inferior to what you can get free using Google maps. I would definitely not spend extra for access to that product.
    Last edited by Art Mann; 11-23-2014 at 04:23 PM.

Spyder Garage

Thanks for everyone's help. Big issue for me is powering up a GPS unit to the F3. I don't get along with electrical.

Spyder Garage

Just downloaded Copilot, thanks. Will try that for now.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Just downloaded Copilot, thanks. Will try that for now.
    Take a look at Sygic Navigation app, http://www.sygic.com/en. When I bought mine last year I looked at Copilot and decided that Sygic was a whole lot more capable, especially in terms of customization. It uses TomTom maps and offers a full functioning trial period. I run it on a Samsung Galaxy Tab 2 7.0. Here's my install: http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...BRP-GPS-Part-1

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

Downloaded that one also. Thanks

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MEP View Post
    Looks like I'm in the minority but I prefer a dedicated GPS unit, and I have been a Garmin fan since the very early days. I'm just not willing to put my navigational needs in the hands of wireless carriers...the coverage in some areas is too spotty for my liking.

Where I live; there's tons of areas without wireless coverage.

Spyder Garage

My two cents says stay with your smart phone!!
    BIG F

Spyder Garage

Default 660 vs 665

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    Do Not Get the 660--Get the 665 if you get a GPS. You get XM, Traffic and reroute, Real time Weather as you ride i.e.. rain showers and thunderstorms, plus many other features the 660 doe not have. Last I checked you could get them online for $500-600. They are phasing in the new Garmin 590. To be standard on the new RT Limited shortly.

That having been said if you have a iPhone 6 plus or large Samsung you could get at least a readable screen while riding, XM radio and Weather without the Garmin 665.

Jack
    i have the 660 "built in" on my RTL. Are they interchangeable? Can I replace the 660 with the 665 directly?

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Gumbeau View Post
    i have the 660 "built in" on my RTL. Are they interchangeable? Can I replace the 660 with the 665 directly?
    Short answer no, But if you change the GPS harness Yes. Another way that I did it was to change the cradle face (part with the pins). Works great.
    Seven small screws on the back and unplug the two small boards. Plug in the boards and replace the seven small screws. New 665 harness on amazon for $50. You will need the new cradle only.

You will then get XM, WX, traffic and rerouting along with full time WX depicted on your GPS screen. You will need the XM 40 antennae which comes with the 665 and a subscription with XM/Sirius

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I have the 660. for me it is hard to see even with a hood on it20141124_134814.jpg

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by jaherbst View Post
    You will then get XM, WX, traffic and rerouting along with full time WX depicted on your GPS screen. You will need the XM 40 antennae which comes with the 665 and a subscription with XM/Sirius
    Jack
    Jack how much does xm cost and is it a separate subscription for the weather and traffic?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    I have the 660. for me it is hard to see even with a hood on it20141124_134814.jpg
    They're all hard to see...

Invalid Emails
    In the hills South of Edinburgh, Scotland
    Spyder Garage

I've been using an iPhone 5 for SatNav with Maps originally, then Co
    pilot and now TomTom. All work, but Maps is limited by 3G/4G coverage whereas dedicated apps hold the full maps. Co-Pilot was great, but a few times too many it crashed, so I now use TomTom and it's now on an iPhone 6.

The other issue, and it's huge, is power drain! To solve this I've fitted a double USB socket on the left speaker grill and a 12v socket on the right. The USB has an isolator switch as shorting it with rain could kill it. Both work great and the 12v, being directly connected to the battery relay terminals also gives me a way to quickly plug my Optimate battery tender in.

Very Active Member IdahoMtnSpyder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    They're all hard to see...
    Another reason why I like my Samsung tablet as a GPS. The near vertical screen is fairly easy to read all the time except when the sun is directly behind me!

2014 Copper RTS

Tri-Axis bars, CB, BajaRon sway bar & shock adjusters, SpyderPop's Bumpskid, NBV peg brackets, LED headlights and modulator, Wolo trumpet air horns, trailer hitch, custom trailer harness, high mount turn signals, Custom Dynamics brake light, LED turn signal lights on mirrors, LED strip light for a dash light, garage door opener, LED lights in frunk, trunk, and saddlebags, RAM mounts and cradles for tablet (for GPS) and phone (for music), and Smooth Spyder belt tensioner.
    2014 RTS , Copper! (officially Cognac)

Spyder Garage

for those of you using a tablet where do you put it

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by ahh-cool View Post
    Jack how much does xm cost and is it a separate subscription for the weather and traffic?
    Check with them. I have multiple accounts and pay a discounted price.

Jack
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2016 Can Am Maverick