Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Anyone gone from a GL1800 trike to a 1330 RT SE6

Been considering it. Just don't know of anyone has made that transition locally to get their opinions on the plusses and minuses. Reaching out to SL to find out if anyone here has made the 3-wheel switch.
    Thanks,

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

George Lewis has both. I just am NOT sure of what his screen name is now...
    If you can find him; he's the guy to talk with!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Default Little checking..!!

have seen reviews on this but you would have to search for those threads...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I found George!

His new name is "Mr. Cognac"

Spyder Garage

I just recently sold my last Goldwing and bought a 2014 RT-S SE6 after doing long distance touring on Goldwings for 14 years. I made the switch because my knees are getting too bad to hold up myself, my wife and an 850 pound motorcycle in traffic. I have only had the Spyder for a couple of months now and I really don't have enough experience to offer a really good comparison. I will just offer a few one-liner observations not in any particular order.

* The Spyder provides a much more relaxed experience while still providing most of the feeling of freedom you get from riding a 2 wheeler.

* It is more difficult than you might think to adapt to a 3 wheel vehicle when you have ridden for many years on two wheelers. I am just getting comfortable after 800 miles.

* The Spyder powertrain does not in any way compare to that of the Wing. The 1800 6 cylinder is much smoother and has more low RPM torque. The 1330 is more than adequate though and I kind of like the 3 cylinder rumble.

* I got the semi automatic push button gear shifter option, mainly because I wanted the big OEM floorboards. After using it a while, I have come to like it, although I would still prefer a clutch.

* The amount of on board storage is more than the Wing and is going to be a great benefit to me for short 3-5 day trips when I don't want to pull a trailer.

* There aren't nearly as many accessories for the Spyder as the Goldwing and the BRP ones are outrageously expensive. The after market industry seems to be catching up though.

* I do all my own maintenance and the Wing is considerably easier to work on and has fewer maintenance requirements than the Spyder. So far, this has been the biggest disadvantage I can think of.

These are just thoughts right off the top of my head and are not backed up with a lot of experience. I will not be able to do a really good comparison until I get maybe 10,000 miles on the RT. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to try to answer, although there are others here more qualified, including our forum sponsor Lamonster.

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    Mr. Cognac

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mann View Post
    I just recently sold my last Goldwing and bought a 2014 RT-S SE6 after doing long distance touring on Goldwings for 14 years. I made the switch because my knees are getting too bad to hold up myself, my wife and an 850 pound motorcycle in traffic. I have only had the Spyder for a couple of months now and I really don't have enough experience to offer a really good comparison. I will just offer a few one-liner observations not in any particular order.

* The Spyder provides a much more relaxed experience while still providing most of the feeling of freedom you get from riding a 2 wheeler. I think that can be said about any trike

* It is more difficult than you might think to adapt to a 3 wheel vehicle when you have ridden for many years on two wheelers. I know what you mean. We made that transition in 2006. I am just getting comfortable after 800 miles.

* The Spyder powertrain does not in any way compare to that of the Wing. The 1800 6 cylinder is much smoother and has more low RPM torque. The 1330 is more than adequate though and I kind of like the 3 cylinder rumble.

* I got the semi automatic push button gear shifter option, mainly because I wanted the big OEM floorboards. After using it a while, I have come to like it, although I would still prefer a clutch.

* The amount of on board storage is more than the Wing Really??? The only thing you gain is the funk, and that isn't very big. and is going to be a great benefit to me for short 3-5 day trips when I don't want to pull a trailer. The wife dislikes trailers. Plus, we have no room to store it.

* There aren't nearly as many accessories for the Spyder as the Goldwing and the BRP ones are outrageously expensive. The after market industry seems to be catching up though.

* I do all my own maintenance and the Wing is considerably easier to work on and has fewer maintenance requirements than the Spyder. So far, this has been the biggest disadvantage I can think of. I was told by a Spyder Service Manager that an RT is more expensive to maintain than a Wing because of having to remove the tupperware to do anything. Having a 90 minute drive one way to my dealer with the best reputation is my biggest issue.

These are just thoughts right off the top of my head and are not backed up with a lot of experience. I will not be able to do a really good comparison until I get maybe 10,000 miles on the RT. If you have any specific questions I would be happy to try to answer, although there are others here more qualified, including our forum sponsor Lamonster.
    ​Enjoy your new ride

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I've read most of George's posts. With his first Spyder, I think he liked his Motor Trike better. More reliable. He hasn't said much in comparing his Wing and the '14. He does say the '14 is more sorted out compared to his earlier Spyder.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It'll take a while to sink in; just how much they've improved...

Spyder Garage

I rode a 2 wheel GL1800 and switched to the Can Am because I had two knee surgeries and I love it. I have a friend who went from a 2003 California sidecar GL1800 to a 14 RT Limited. He had had several shoulder surgeries and had not be able to ride his trike for over a year. He rode my Can Am and was able to steer it because of the power steering and he was hooked. He went right out and made a deal on a new Can Am for himself. He loves his and has put over 15,000 miles on it since March. He says that it has a much more comfortable ride than the CSC trike and the steering is effortless. He had went to the easy-steer on his GL1800 and still was having trouble manhandling the trike. The semi automatic transmission is great (I have always changed my own gears but after riding the Can Am I love the SE6). Another huge plus that Can Am has is the engine powered reverse (the Goldwing's reverse as you know is very slow). I have attached a video that compares the two. Luggage is similar, the Can Am is more powerful and is more stable than a rear wheel trike.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=mulK8BnPXAY

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

As some know, I have a 2002 Gold Wing Motor Trike and a 2014 RT-Ltd, trading my 2011 RT-S. I rode my Wing four years as a two wheeler and triked it in '05....due to bad Korean knee. My Wing, as others have posted, is bullet proof, never been in the shop other than a frame recall. I kept it as I could not get much for it now and love to ride it for reasons posted earlier. I change the synthetic oil every 10-12K and a friend does the radiator every two years and we grease the spline, check the trike kit nuts and bolts with the oil changes...etc. My Wing is strong, more torque as low end, great on the Interstate and steers, rides great.

The great video in the previous post if about a Cal. Sidecar trike kit. I have never ridden one, but my Motor Trike as served me well with no maintenance problems....I have read some other kits have had problems. Ya pays your money, ya takes your chances.

My 2011 was sure a different ride. Stable and ran well. Replaced the throttle body under warranty along with a steering sensor. Some had major problems with early Spyders (amd dealers). A fun machine in the twisties in the TX hill country west of me. The wife and I don't do long distance any more but if we do, we take our motorhome.

Mr. Cognac is a better machine in many ways....better handling, more hp and torque, just better all around.

I plan to keep Punkin' and Mr. Cognac until they turn to dust or I can't get on them any more. I don't ride as much as I used to so Mr. Cognac and Punkin' are my last scoot purchases. I won't trade Mr. Cognac unless there are MAJOR changes.

Why would I trade then, you ask....becaise money is no object now that the wife got promoted to blade oiler on the second shift at the sawmill. This is good thing as I have put in an application for her at Wal Mart for the first shift. She will start out unloading trucks, but could move up to stocking shelves if she does good work....I know she will. This is a good thing as Wal Mart is two miles away and she can come home on her lunch break and fix mine...

Ya can't go wrong with a '14, dealers are getting '15s and want to move the '14s...no changes in the '15s other than colors and price increase.

Last edited by Mr. White; 11-21-2014 at 10:20 AM.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Spyder Garage

Just another classic post!!!! And what a wife
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Spyder Garage

Does your wife have any sisters?
    2013 Viper Red RT S-SE5 All 48 states on a Gold Wing now I'm working on getting all on a

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I just went from a 2005 GoldWing to a spyder... (that was my 2nd GoldWing I had a 2002 also).. like it was earlier stated.. the GoldWing is MUCH smoother, quieter, & more powerful.. requires much less maintenance and it is bullet proof.. both my GoldWings never had any issues that required me bringing it to the shop for warranty service... my present ride a 2014 Spyder LT .. I like the idea of not having to support a 650lb machine with my legs when stopped.. It does now ever handle entirely different than a 2 wheel motorcycle.......I think BRP has a lot less dealer network than Honda.. and like earlier stated... BRP parts, accessories & service are outrageously priced.. as far as longevity not sure how the Spyder will stack up next to a GoldWing.. I only have about 800 miles on my 2014 LT Spyder ... I guess time will tell...

OSM

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    Been considering it. Just don't know of anyone has made that transition locally to get their opinions on the plusses and minuses. Reaching out to SL to find out if anyone here has made the 3-wheel switch.
    Thanks,
    Send Mike( Blueknight911) a PM. Deanna

Current Spyder - 2023 F3 LTD Special Mineral Blue

Red LED NANO Saddlebag Marker Lights with Full Illumination
    Sequential Fender LED'S (Amber/Red) with Safety Reflector
    Dual Power Plate (12 V & USB ports)
    Gremlin Bell
    Rear Trunk Organizer (4 holders, 2 Elastic Holders)
    Lamonster "Top Cuff" with adjustable drink Holder
    SpyderPops Missing Guard Belt
    Console Accent Trim (Carbon Fiber Domed Black)
    Ultimate F3 Floorboards
    Front Fairing Service Access Door Covers (Carbon Fiber Doomed Black)
    Sway Bar with Links
    Rolo Laser Alignment
    Half Cover
    A-Arm Daytime Dual Color LED Running Lights with Blinker Module
    Hi-Viz DRL and Sequential Mirrors lights

Former Spyder - 2014 RTS SE6 Cognac SOLD

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by STELLING MAN View Post
    Does your wife have any sisters?
    I'll even consider adoption...

Spyder Garage

Default GL 1800 to 1330 SE6

I started trying out spyders in early July this year, I had been riding a 2002 Gold Wing with Champion conversion. The wife and I tried a 2013 spyder but was not really that impressed. We had ridden the 2002 wing for 4 years and added about 34k miles on it. WE went to another dealer and tried and 2009 and 2011 spyder but was still not too impressed until we rode the 2014. What a difference the ride and handled so much better. Due to a death in a person family we were able to purchase a 2014 with 2300 miles on it and warranty till 2018. This was in Aug. we now have 7600 miles on it, And have sold the Wing. WE do love our Spyder RTS SE6

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by MikeT View Post
    I was told by a Spyder Service Manager that an RT is more expensive to maintain than a Wing because of having to remove the tupperware to do anything. Having a 90 minute drive one way to my dealer with the best reputation is my biggest issue.
    It isn't just the problem of removing body panels. There are just a lot more maintenance items to do. Just download and read the owner's manual. Furthermore, maintenance parts and materials are more expensive and harder to find. Compare the cost of oil filters and you will see what I mean.

Obviously, I didn't think the added maintenance expense was too much because I bought one. I just wish there were more after market options available.

My dealer is 60 miles away but I don't plan on visiting them too often because I do much of my own maintenance. One nice thing about this dealership is the service manager told me I was welcome to come back to the shop and watch any work they do.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

But the 1330 is a lot less maintenance-intensive, than the 998s...
    2014 RT Servicing.jpg

Spyder Garage

But the 1330 is a lot less maintenance-intensive, than the 998s...
    2014 RT Servicing.jpg
    Yes Bob, that is very true. When I first started looking for an RT-S the 2013's were still plentiful and at very low prices. I decided to buy a 2014 instead partly due to the heat issues but also because of the reduced maintenance. It just seems to me that the 2014 is a "charmed" model year for the RT's. There are far fewer repeating problems being reported here and elsewhere than some earlier models.