Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Spyder Garage

Default Thinking of Going Heated Gear

As much as I hate not being able to ride in these cooler temps, the wife unit says she is getting cold. So in order to keep us out on the road longer, I am thinking of investing in some heated gear. Up first would be a jacket and gloves for her.

Right now I am leaning towards FirstGear since they offer ladies gloves. I don't think TourMaster offers ladies gloves. Gerbings seem nice but are a little pricy and their warranty has changed to 1 year now. Dual controllers and 90W for sure

I'd be interested in hearing from those of you that have made the jump yourselves in which gear you chose and why?

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default I have Gerbings

The Gloves and Jacket.. not the vest.. I have ridden in 12 degree temperatures going across the Smokies headed towards the warmer coastline...
    At that time my BMW RS had good wind protection so I didn't invest in the pants.. I did have heated grips...Suit was Barbour..waxed cotton..also a thick wool Barbour sweater.. I was warmer on the bike than off

I feel any electrics you choose , you can't go wrong... Yes, Make sure you have controllers to control that heat..

Anything beats stuffing newspaper in your jacket and having icicles hanging off your gloves and hands shaking so hard the waitress had to take your coffee to the table

scott
    Last edited by jScotD; 11-18-2014 at 06:49 PM.

Very Active Member Orange Spyder Man's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

I have a heated vest... have not hooked it up for my Spyder yet.. but did have it hooked up for my 2005 GoldWing... coming over Wolf Creek Pass in Colorado at 8 degrees I turned it on high accidently.. I had to pull over and take off my jacket.. I was burning up.... heating clothing works !!!

Spyder Garage

Default Heated clothing

...rocks! I use Aerostich stuff, and it is great. I also have Gerbings gloves, also great. No reason to be cold. Warm and dry beat cold and wet! Money well spent. If you like to be miserable, don't get it.
    Joe Meyer

Dealer for the Outlaw/ROLO laser Alignment system

Spyder Garage

Have traveled for days in below freezing temps. Electric underwear is great! Recommend the gloves and jacket. The pants have as much heating wires in your sit-upon-places as you shins. One area would get hot and the other would be cold. Some sort of chaps is better for blocking the wind from your legs and keeping them warm.

The variable temp control is better than choosing from 1, 2, or 3 temp settings. You can get the temp of your gear toasty warm and not have to mess with going up or down with the settings. Set it and enjoy the ride!

Hope this helps...
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Spyder Garage

Default Toastie..!!

I use heated liner and gloves with dual control and my wife the same with single control. I need more heat on the hands less on the vest wife has me for wind protection so no need for dual control...
    Gene and Ilana De Laney
    Mt. Helix, California

​2012 RS sm5
    2012 RS sm5 , 998cc V-Twin 106hp DIY brake and park brake Classic Black

Spyder Garage

Warm & Safe gear has worked well for me and my wife.
    Ryde Safe!

"There are two things you can never get back. A word after it is said and time after it is gone."

Spyder Garage

Cool

Heated gear is a great investment, when taken care of it will last for many years! I have Gerbing jacket liner, pants, and gloves that have given me 15 years use and countless miles of warmth. Just recently I also purchased the Tourmaster jacket liner, pants, and gloves for a female friend who loves to ride with me (now more than ever) once she tried my Gerbing set on and found out how warm they keep you!!!
    Another benefit is being able to use the heated gear on any bike you own now or in the future.

The Tourmaster Synergy series jacket liner comes with the dual controller which is not included with Gerbing. Tourmaster does make several different gloves and they do have womens. The controller and all the plugs on Tourmaster gear are the same as Gerbing. With that being said, I would purchase the Tourmaster Synergy series and save yourself a lot of money. The very first thing I have done on any of my bikes has been installing the BMW style sockets which have spring loaded caps to protect sockets from rain. I hope this helps with your decision!

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My best purchase was a Gerbing battery operated light jacket. ($135) I wear it under my heavy coat as needed. It does not get as cold here at other places so I can also wear this jacket while working the back 40 on my tractor or just around the property with the battery (rechargable) off. Great addition to my riding gear.

I traded my 2014 RT for a 2017 Mr. White RT-S. I am George Lewis. I live two miles from Boerne, TX. I am 89, retired USAF and Sony Corp. I also have a GW MotorTrike. My email: scoot62@aol.com

SAVE THE CHUPACABRA
    If you have not been to Luckenbach, your journey is not complete.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by cptjam View Post
    ...rocks! I use Aerostich stuff, and it is great. I also have Gerbings gloves, also great. No reason to be cold. Warm and dry beat cold and wet! Money well spent. If you like to be miserable, don't get it.
    He has the heated gear, I don't.
    2017 F3T-SM6 Squared Away Mirror Wedgies & Alignment
    2014 RTS-SM6 123,600 miles Sold 11/2017
    2014 RTL-SE6 8,600 miles
    2011 RTS-SM5 5,000 miles
    2013 RTS-SM5 burned up with 13,200 miles in 13 weeks
    2010 RTS-SM5 59,148 miles
    2010 RT- 622

Spyder Garage

My wife has had Gerbings gloves and a jacket for years. Only thing that keeps her riding below 70 degrees!! LOL...

She bought me one for Christmas a few years back too. I was reluctant to use it. I ride to 40 degrees with just fleece under my riding jacket.... and, growing up in Buffalo, did not want to be viewed as a wuss. What I found is now I can ride into the 20's.....or just be more comfortable in the 40's. So, I also bought my son a heated jacket last Christmas.
    2012 RT-SE5

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by SpyderAnn01 View Post
    He has the heated gear, I don't.
    Well that suck's. Come on Joe you get heated gear she doesn't?

Jack
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Spyder Garage

I have Gerbings Jacket and gloves. Once you try it you will never go back.

Just a note: If you have a Battery Tender hooked up directly to the battery you can get an adapter to plug in the heated gear. This of course depends on plug location. I wired my Gerbing Harness direct to the battery and routed the plug in for the controller up through the center handle bar connection. If I need to charge the battery I have an adapter that allows the Battery Tender to plug into the Gerbing harness to charge the battery. It can work either way. Only one battery hookup for both Gerbing and battery tender. Use a 15 Amp fuse in the inline fuse. Always hook directly to the battery for heated gear. 15 amps is sufficient for Gloves and full Jacket.

Adapters are available at Amazon and Revzilla or others. Hope this helps.

Jack

Last edited by jaherbst; 11-19-2014 at 09:50 AM.
    All my life I wanted to be somebody, now I realize I should have been more specific.
    2019 Specialized E-Bike COMO 2.0
    2018 Jeep Grand Cherokee Overland
    2018 Tiffin Phaeton 37BH Motorhome
    2015 BMW R1200R LC
    2014 RTL SE6 Pearl White
    2012 RT-622 trailer viper red
    2014 Look 7x12 motorcycle trailer silver and black
    2011 Polaris Ranger green
    2013 GMC Yukon Denali XL silver oak
    2016 Can Am Maverick

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

While eveyone knows Gerbing's. The original founder is now selling gear again under his name Gordon's heated gear with a lifetime warrentee. Price is the same as Gerbing's and all the Gerbing components are compatible. Gerrbing also makes a glove for women. I would definitely get the adjustable controller rather then a fixed 123 setting. Both the wife and I have the complete set pants , jacket and gloves and heated socks which we don't use often, only for snowmobiling. there is less expensive gear on the market but it does not compare to the Gerbing's or Gordon's standards. Just saying you get what you pay for.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated Gloves

I too would like to invest in a good pair of heated gloves...I cannot keep my finger tips from getting cold...Do any of these electric gloves have the finger tips heated??? Thanks, larryd

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Default Heated clothing

Tourmaster Synergy jacket (skip the vest), and, I can't believe being made in Canada why BRP didn't put a plug-in on the for heated clothing. Anyway, with heated grips and the jacket I can be quite comfortable at 40 degrees for several hours.

Spyder Garage

Back in the Ice Age there were only two companys that made heated gear. I chose Gerbings as I felt they were the better of the two. I have the jacket liner and gloves with controler. In 99 coming back from a dealer it was in the 40's and my wife who had just started riding her own bike was very cold so I insisted that she wear my heated gear. As soon as whe got home she told me that I was buying her a set, which I did.

As others have stated once you use them you will never want to be without them.

I have always added the BMW style of connectors to my bikes and the also are used as a battery tender connection whan the bike (Spyder) is parked.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    2021 Sea To Sky, 2020 RTL

Isn't it weird that in AMERICA our flag and our culture offend so many people......
    but our benefits don't?
    2015 F3S , White & Blue

Spyder Garage

Default I like Powerlet

I have the Powerlet brand glove liners and jacket liner. I like the jacket liner because it heats everywhere including the neck collar. My main area of feeling cold was always my arms. It's got a wireless adjustable remote that I can strap to the handlebar and adjust the gloves/jacket separately with spin knobs.

I prefer the liners because I have more than one riding jacket and more than one pair of gloves, and using liners allows me to throw the liners into a compartment when it starts out warm enough not to need the heated gear, and then when I get cold, I can take the regular liner out of any of my coats, and put on the heated gear and put the coat back on.
    2015 F3 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Default If you decide to go with Firstgear...

Check with me. I will be able to save you a fair amount on the cost. I use Firstgear heated gear. I have found it to be very good.
    Shop Ph: 423-609-7588 (M-F, 8-5, Eastern Time)

Only SLOW people have to leave on time...

...in the pink (Girls On Spyders) flamingobabe's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

We traveled for years with layering up and trying to stay warm.....talked Mark into jacket and gloves.....we love our gerbings.....would not go back.......Ann go purchase your own....spend the money....make riding more comfortable

#IamARyder #RideASpyder #CanAmSpyder

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I have used heated gear for years and it is one of the best investments I could ever have made. Small cost considering the costs of our machines. Highly recommended.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

warmnsafe.com or firstgear (same stuff). The guy behind warmnsafe designed the original gerbing heattrollers and owns warmnsafe. His gear is great and he stands behind it. He's also a year round rider and a nice guy.

Wife and I have full sets, jackets, gloves, pants, socks, although I don't wear any more than the jacket and gloves now.
    Eric
    YNC(SS) (Retired) - U. S. Navy Submarines
    2014 RT-S Cognac
    3 seadoo's,CBR250R, Suzi GT750 waterbuffalo's x4, Rebel 250, MB5, '84 Alfa Spider, '97 Jeep TJ, '93 Saab C900CVT, '99 SLK230, '65 Mustang, '59 Fairlane, '48 Ford 8n

Very Active Member Highwayman2013's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Warm and Safe
    2016 F3 Limited
    2019 Ryker Rally
    2014 Suzuki V Strom 650
    2020 CSC TT 250
    2016 F 3 Limited , Vegas White

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by larryd View Post
    I too would like to invest in a good pair of heated gloves...I cannot keep my finger tips from getting cold...Do any of these electric gloves have the finger tips heated??? Thanks, larryd
    Your whole hand is heated. Finger tips stay warm.
    Joy
    Very Happy Ryder...
    '09 Phantom and a '15 F3-S

If you don't slow down, they can't catch you..
    ​If you don't give up, they can't win.
    What a long strange journey its been.

Active Member Lone Spyder Ryder's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Love Gerbing’s Heated Gear

I have been caught in some cold snowing & blowing weather a couple of times, I would buy a set of heated top,bottom & gloves.
    When you change the way to look at things,
    the things you look at change!
    Dr.Wayne Dyer