Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

the slingshot does look like a lot of fun, perhaps more so then our little 's but there is no doubt
    in my mind it can not be a daily ride & no way can it be driven much in my area. it will bottom out on potholes,
    get beat more then a on regular roads & i would worry about an suv cutting me off since it sits low.
    All in all none of that will stop me from accepting one if polaris decides to give me one.
    RULE!!

Spyder Garage

It just looks like a crippled sports car to me. There are a lot better choices if that is what I wanted to drive.

Spyder Garage

2016 RT Ltd. , Pearl White

SpyderLovers Sponsor Motorcycledave's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

If you were planning on giving one to JMHO, he don't want it just
    give it to me. you can bet I will have fun with it.
    Dave

Quote Originally Posted by vided View Post
    if you were planning on giving me one for Christmas,forgetaboutit.
    i can see no reason to get a slingshot. JMHO

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm sorry but can't take this guy seriously as he starts saying that it is a quality built vehicle, then imidiatly says the brakes are bad. I'm sorry but breaks bing bad imo removes it for any level of quality listings.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

You have brought up a VERY good point about his "reporting"...
    If something as important as the brakes is getting your attention in a bad way; how can you say that it's a quality-built vehicle?
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

How is the Polaris dealer network compared to the spyder dealer network? Bigger, better? smaller? just as crappy?
    Rewaco RF-1 GT

Inline 4 cylinder Ford Zetec with multi-port fuel inject, 140 HP
    0-60mph: 5.8 seconds
    5 speed sync manual with reverse, mechanical dry clutch.
    Front suspension: Trapezoidal fork with center spring
    Rear suspension: Independent with Bilstein gas shock absorbers
    Brake System: Grimeca calipers, linked ventilated discs, with booster
    10.57 gallons

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

My guess; Is that it's "comparable"...
    (Perhaps an edge to Polaris...)
    These are two companies with deep roots in the sports of snowmobiling and ATVing...
    Polaris has more Indian and Victory experience, but they're both relatively new to THIS sort of dealership...

Spyder Garage

You sit "in" it, you strap your self in it, it has a steering wheel. That is no bike and I can run my RT through the curves harder than that thing. No thanks......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Name: Eric Heims
    Red 2016 RTS, Diamond R Armrests, Ram X Mount, Doc Humphreys Dampener, BajaRon Swaybar, Spyderpops "Critter Splitter"

"It is the common fate of the indolent to see their rights become a prey to the active. The condition upon which God hath given liberty to man is eternal vigilance; which condition if he break, servitude is at once the consequence of his crime and the punishment of his guilt." John Philpot Curran 1790

Spyder Garage

I ride this route a lot, he turned around just a turn or two away from the popular Rock Store.
    2015 F3-S. And Another Day To Be My Kids Dad

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Farmbanker View Post
    You sit "in" it, you strap your self in it, it has a steering wheel. That is no bike and I can run my RT through the curves harder than that thing. No thanks......

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
    Have you driven one to make that comparison?

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

I will buy one and let everybody test ride it
    actually, i did that with the Spyder and thanks to that 3 or 4 more people rides one, including a member of this great forum

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

It's too early for comparisons; please let us know once you've actually run up against one of them, and eaten his Lunch!

Spyder Garage

Now that I have driven the SS, I can attest to the fact that it reminded me of my MGs and Healys of old - hard to get out of for a big guy with bad knees too. But an absolute hoot to drive around in - and it got more attention than my 02 Vrod - with people braking on the freeway to slow down and stare. Lots of folks want to talk about my Spyder, but I haven't had someone hit the brakes for a look, since my 09 RS was new.

I drove the SL variant that was supposed to be mine, but went to an acquaintance for extra cash - and now I can wait for better brakes. They are fine for normal driving, but fade pretty quickly - much like the brakes on the 08 to 10 Spyders. I thought the steering wheel was on the small side, for optimal control and feel, but it was OK, and the full windshield kept the wind out of my hair. One would think that 176HP would be enough, but it isn't quite - like the 990 RTs - you would just like a bit more.

Polaris did a good job - from the occupants perspective, it's a great ride, and you feel you are going 50% faster than you are - again, just like my early Brit cars, without the multi-carbs, and dashpot shocks to deal with.

If you haven't driven one, you should. It doesn't matter what you call it, it's just plain fun. Will it pull the Boomers off their Spyders? Probably not. Will it pull the Xgen folks in? Probably. Those that have an aversion to motorcycles will love the SS.

Unlike the Spyder, where the up charge for the "S" or "LTD" provides little but window dressing, the SL is a solid value for the extra $3K - There are a host of features that I haven't played with yet - so I still have some unanswered questions.

Finally, the cockpit is a bit tight - comfortable, but tight. I like to move around on long trips (think floorboards on the RT), and there's really not much of that, and there were a few sharp edges in places where I would rest my knee - nothing drastic, just niggly bits. For less that the entry cost for a F3, it's a worthy contender for discretionary dollars.

Where would I place it in the fun/utility spectrum against the Spyder? Below the RT, and perhaps the RSS (LTD), but above the rest. I also feel it is totally unfair to compare the SS against the ATOM or similar rides, just as it is to compare the RT against the (non-triked) K16 or GL18 - each is in a unique place in the market spectrum, and offer checks in in boxes the others don't. If I were in the toy market, and the RT wasn't around, I would choose the SS. In the future - probably '16, I'll have both the SS share with my grandkids and my RT.
    2014 RT SE6 Rider
    X - Honda Rider
    X - RT S driver
    X - RS driver
    Lifetime VFW Member

Spyder Garage

The statement about the Spyder was more than likely made based on a 10 minute ryde, with no practice before.
    If he drives that way on curves, he probably has traffic stacked up behind him for miles.
    I have no opinion on the SS, my body probably won't bend enough to get in or out of it, but I had my time with sports cars and other interesting vehicles.
    I'll stay with my Spyder.

john