Spyder Garage

Default Help change the use of LED lights for Safety in Virginia

Help change the law on restricting LED lights on Spyders including all Motorcycles, Mopeds and Bicycles. Currently it is against the law to have any type of after marked lights in operation without explicit permission from the State Police Superintendent. We need to have this law revised to permit the use of white LED's in front.
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 02-01-2016 at 07:29 PM.

Spyder Garage

So cars with white LEDs around the headlights are OK? SMH, that's not right.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post
    Help change the law on restricting LED lights on Spyders including all Motorcycles, Mopeds and Bicycles. Currently it is against the law to have any type of after marked lights in operation without explicit permission from the State Police Superintendent. We need to have this law revised to permit the use of white LED's in front.

https://www.change.org/p/virginia-la...-of-led-lights

Been reading the Code of Virginia https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...cod+TOC4602000 and even though it refers to "Neon" lights our local LEO said it was just semantics.

Spyder Garage

I don't see it happening in the Hampton Roads area, they just add laws around here, not take them away. LOL

Spyder Garage

need 45 more signatures.
    As for Cars with the white LED's Snoopy, the code of VA does not mention it however the State Inspection requirements has a Note added to the requirement and it says:
    Inspectfor and reject if:
    4.Lenses are not red to the rear and clear or amber to the front or anylens has a piece broken from it. The lens may have one or more cracksprovided an off-color light does not project through the crack(s).
    NOTE:LED (light emitting diode) lights with a clear lens are acceptable ifof an approved type. For those vehicles that are equipped with amultiple LED light (not filament burning bulbs), they will passinspection if more than 50% of the diode lights are burning.

They got us with "if of an approved type"

Spyder Garage

I still think you live in a different world than Hampton Roads.

Our area pushes to give citations to make money.

Our state cops are a$$holes, our city cops are a$$holes.

If they can make a buck they will. They won't change crap here unless it helps their budget.

Just the way it has become here.

The rest of Virginia may be different. Cops here would be happy if no one drives or rides here anymore.....

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by robtdonna View Post
    So cars with white LEDs around the headlights are OK? SMH, that's not right.
    The LED's around the car headlights are considered Daytime Running Lights, they are OEM and it's OK per this code. https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...+cod+46.2-1020.

Quote Originally Posted by Dragonfly View Post

https://www.change.org/p/virginia-la...-of-led-lights

Been reading the Code of Virginia https://leg1.state.va.us/cgi-bin/leg...cod+TOC4602000 and even though it refers to "Neon" lights our local LEO said it was just semantics.

I have traveled all over VA, I had the Custom Dynamics DRL's on my 2011 Spyder and never been stopped. I will be installing some on my 2014 over the winter.
    Last edited by YIRYDE; 11-15-2014 at 12:01 AM.
    [B]

2018 Intense Red F3T (See About Me under My Profile for mods)
    2010 Timeless Black RT-622 Trailer
    2014 Timeless Black RTS-SE6, 34,300 Miles, traded May 2019
    2011 Timeless Black RTS-SE5, 15,180 Miles, traded April 2014

Spyder Garage

[QUOTE=SNOOPY;902931]I still think you live in a different world than Hampton Roads.

Where about in Hampton Rds do you live? I am in Mathews.

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Is there anyone in the Northern VA area that can be recommended to install the CD lights? My local dealer doesn't seem interested.

Lancaster PA transplant (Southern born and bred)
    Spyder Garage

I guess we're lucky in PA. I read the laws/codes about auxiliary lights for motorcycles, and even called to make sure I was interpreting them correctly.....a motorcycle rider is allowed to add lights to the bike to make it more visible. Go Pennsylvania!!

Now.....to figure out what I want and how to install them. Oh Lord.....more $$$$$ to spend!!

Spyder Garage

Default HB 939

Once again, a bill has been introduced to change the Code of Virginia allowing the use of Amber or Red lights for more visibility.
    HB 939 move out of sub committee today, lets hope it will pass this year. This would modify the existing Code.

Notwithstanding § 46.2-1002, motorcycles or autocycles may be equipped with standard bulb running lights or light-emitting diode (LED) pods or strips as auxiliary lighting. Such lighting shall be (i) either red or amber in color and (ii) directed toward the ground in such a manner that no part of the beam will strike the level of the surface on which the motorcycle or autocycle stands at a distance of more than 10 feet from the vehicle. Such lighting shall not (a) project a beam of light of an intensity greater than 25 candlepower or its equivalent from a single lamp or bulb; (b) be blinking, flashing, oscillating, or rotating; or (c) be attached to the wheels of the motorcycle or autocycle.

I am ready, replaced my white Vader and bumpskid LED's with AmberLED's

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hokiev View Post
    This is an old post and the petition is closed.
    Nope, the bill has been reintroduced this year. Has nothing to do with the petition.

Spyder Garage

I wish I could turn my lights off at times.

Hate that they run full time.

Unfortunately they have to burn in Virginia.

Good thing they don't have to for cars.

Personally I think if you can't see a 4000 lb vehicle coming at you in the daytime, how are a couple lights going to help. LOL

I understand in the rain and/or low light conditions.

Spyder Garage

Actually, the issue is not LEDs themselves, but non-DOT approved lights. I run LEDs in all my signals, my headlights and have auxiliary LED lights on my motorcycle. BMW even has them from the factory.

The law states that you can't have more than 4 forward facing white lights on at any given time, though some of my friends do and no one gets tickets. I have my front LEDs (Clearwater Kristas) covered with an orange lens unless I am going out in the back country just because of higher visibility from traffic.

I also have LED added running and brake lights on the back that flash 4 times then go solid when I hit my brakes. I've been riding like this for well more than 10 years in Virginia, with 3 pull-overs and not one mention of my lights.

Now, if you mean the parade style light strips some like to put all over their bikes, that will never fly IMHO.
    Jim

2013 ST-S (wife's)
    2015 BMW R1200GS (mine)
    1981 Yamaha XS400 Scrambler Custom (mine)

Very Active Member BLUEKNIGHT911's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default LED's

Not to hi-jack your thread - but Vermont is Uber strict on LED's as " decorative " lighting ....... I have a lot of them on my Spyder and have been stopped - however all my LED's meet Fed DOT reg's for Marker Lights ( position & color ) and NO tickets so far ....... Mike