Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default Polaris Slingshot can't be sold in Texas

Apparently they are not recognizing it as a mc because the word saddle is not in there.

image.jpg

Spyder Garage

Well of course not. The Slingshot is a three wheeled car that you have to wear a helmet in.

I think this may happen to other states and provinces as well. You would think that Polaris would have vetted all this out before they decided to produce the Slingshot.

I wonder what would happen to someone who rode one into Texas from another state that allows them to be registered. If Texas sees them as an off road vehicle then I could see people being ticketed and/or the vehicle impounded. Not good for future sales.

Spyder Garage

The US DOT and many states are working to try and define, again, the difference between a car and a motorcycle. The simple 'less than 4 wheels' definition no longer works.

In simple terms, the Spyder is a motorcycle. The Slingshot is a car. You know it when you see it. Much harder to define in the laws. Problem is, the Slingshot does not meet the safety equipment and emissions requirements for a car.

Its likely that this will not be a 'Texas' problem for long.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

The Laws of the Home licensing State will apply; so they'll be allowed into Texas...
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black

Spyder Garage

Elio will have the same issues. I read, somewhere, that they are coordinating with each state where there would be an issue, and trying to get changes in the different state laws. Polaris is probably doing the same thing.

Laws need to change to keep up with technology.

"Topper" is my Pearl White 2013 RT-LTD

Professional Retiree - liked it so much when I retired from the USAF, that I started another career so I could do it again!

Happy to be a member of the Maryland Spyder Web - find us at

http://www.meetup.com/MarylandSpyderWeb/

2013 RT Limited , White (the fastest color!)

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Bob Denman View Post
    The Laws of the Home licensing State will apply; so they'll be allowed into Texas...
    Yes but that does no good for a resident of Texas. You cannot legally licence a vehicle in a state other than the one you are a resident of. Doing so is tax evasion....

You also cannot buy one out of state and then register it in Texas. As more states head this direction to reclassify 3 wheeled cars, the ones that cannot be registered as cars will loose value quickly as they cannot be sold. Be careful buying into one of these at the moment if your intention is to drive it on public roads.

It also depends on which laws Texas decides are enforceable. IE if they decide the Slingshot does not meet Texas DOT safety standards, it will not matter the home state, it will be illegal to drive it in Texas regardless of its status elsewhere. This is the same situation that prevents towing triples or operating a trailer over 5000 lbs without its own brakes in Texas. The situation is evolving and will be an interesting one to watch.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 11-12-2014 at 11:25 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Elio will have the same issues. I read, somewhere, that they are coordinating with each state where there would be an issue, and trying to get changes in the different state laws. Polaris is probably doing the same thing.

Laws need to change to keep up with technology.
    Its likely to go the other way. The laws currently allow a loophole that 3 wheel cars are trying to fit through. It will likely be closed.

3 Wheel cars will need to meet the safety requirements for cars to be sold. The Slingshot does not in its current configuration. Its also not a motorcycle.

My fear is that as these laws change, they could end up effecting the Spyder too.
    Last edited by jcthorne; 11-12-2014 at 11:20 AM.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

I am not sure that would apply since Texas classifies the Slingshot as an off road vehicle. This is not the same thing as driver licensing on the Spyder.

Hopefully, they get this fixed up soon and there will be no problems for those who want them.

I know myself that if this was an issue with some states I would hold off until everything was cleared up.

Spyder Garage

Default The Thoroughbred Stallion

They sell these in Texas, but the difference is it has the 2 wheels in back. I think that the definition should be that in addition to having less than 4 wheels, if you sit on it it's a motorcycle, but if you sit in it it is an automobile.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by 2Paw View Post
    They sell these in Texas, but the difference is it has the 2 wheels in back. I think that the definition should be that in addition to having less than 4 wheels, if you sit on it it's a motorcycle, but if you sit in it it is an automobile.

the Stallion has a center console that you straddle, so the saddle phrase works. the T-rex has the same seating arrangement as the slingshot and it has been around for a while

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by warp10 View Post
    the Stallion has a center console that you straddle, so the saddle phrase works. the T-rex has the same seating arrangement as the slingshot and it has been around for a while
    Because you straddle the console couldn't this be considered to be setting on it? Also rather than side by side seating you set one behind the other in/on a Stallion.
    Ed

They told me not to give up on my dreams, so I went back to sleep.

Champagne 2017 RTS SE6
    Quantum Blue 2012 RTS-SE5 "Bluebell, Bell for short" - Traded 09/2017

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by bscrive View Post
    I am not sure that would apply since Texas classifies the Slingshot as an off road vehicle. .
    I thought that they had more sense than that in Texas...
    If that thing is off-road; it's been in an accident!

Spyder Garage

Interesting. We will have to see how this all plays out. Guessing that the Polaris dealers are not going to be real happy.

Currently Owned: 2019 F3 Limited, 2020 F3 Limited: SOLD BOTH LIMITEDS in October of 2023.

Previously : 2008 GS-SM5 (silver), 2009 RS-SE5 (red), 2010 RT-S Premier Editon #474 (black) 2011 RT A&C SE5 (magnesium) 2014 RTS-SE6 (yellow)

MY FINAL TALLY: 7 Spyders, 15 years, 205,500 miles

IT HAS BEEN A LONG, WONDERFUL, AND FUN RIDE.
    2020 F3L , Magma Red

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Hayfield View Post
    Elio will have the same issues.
    You mean: they'll have the same issues, IF they ever bring a product to market!

Spyder Garage

Red face http://terracraftmotors.com/

TerraCraft Motors ~ A Texas based manufacturer.

TerraCraft ~ A fully engineered tandem saddle (two person motorcycle seat).

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by Jerbear View Post
    TerraCraft Motors ~ A Texas based manufacturer.

TerraCraft ~ A fully engineered tandem saddle (two person motorcycle seat).
    http://terracraftmotors.com/
    Wow! These are pretty darn pretty!

Spyder Garage

What I would like to know is why can the T-Rex be sold in Texas but the Slingshot cannot? What is the difference between the two? Is it the roll cage on the T-Rex?

BTW, that TerraCraft Motors trike is very cool looking. And...you can get AC on it.

Spyder Garage

Red face Very Cool!!

Have it your way. All you need to do is provide them with the motorcycle of your choosing and an additional 40 to 60 grand. In return, you get a one off custom.

Identify what you have control over and find peace with what you don't.

Very Active Member SPECTACUALR SPIDERMAN's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

glad i own a not a slingshot.

Spyder Garage

http://terracraftmotors.com/
    Wow! These are pretty darn pretty!

I think they are single seat

2014 RT Limited Cognac ----- Wraps, skid plate, lights, Elkas
    2002 harley ultra classic
    2008 hayabusa

Spyder Garage

What I would like to know is why can the T-Rex be sold in Texas but the Slingshot cannot? What is the difference between the two? Is it the roll cage on the T-Rex?
    Good question and part of the problem legislators are grappling with. Is the T-Rex a car or a bike? Why. It could be reclassified as a car and no longer be legal in Texas either. I think the 'saddle' term in the Polaris letter is part of the new language the state is trying to use to differentiate. Could Polaris install saddle style seats in the Slingshot frame and just work around the law? Who knows where this will lead. It is doubtful they would make existing vehicles already titled illegal. They could but not likely. A grand-father clause perhaps.

Blue Flame Spyder F3-S
    2015 F3S , Blue Flame

Spyder Garage

BTW, that TerraCraft Motors trike is very cool looking. And...you can get AC on it.
    No difference, legally. Both the T-Rex and Morgan have been sold and titled in Texas as motorcycles.

IANAL, but assuming the Polaris letter is accurate-- and why wouldn't it be? They're a global company that did their research-- they have the documentation that shows the state of Texas approved Slingshot sales. While the law as written will trump that interpretation, i.e. the state will likely claim a bureaucratic error, Polaris will have a viable case to argue for damages in the near term (particularly as, again, T-Rex and Morgan can be titled as motorcycles), and a strong political argument to lobby for a change to the law (it appears that other states use "seat or saddle" rather than just "saddle.")

As a practical matter, we can all be cute and recognize that of course the Slingshot is NOT a motorcycle, but a three-wheel car. That said, as a *legal* matter, the Slingshot is recognized as a motorcycle in nearly every state (48, IIRC-- believe CT and now Texas are the holdouts). I for one don't want any state looking at the Slingshot and determining that it is a car, as that will strangle three-wheel innovation.

Anyway, my guess is Polaris will quickly and successfully find a member of the Texas state legislature to change the law to accommodate the earlier agreement, and bring Texas law into alignment with the other states. But it'll be pucker factor for the dealers and buyers in the meantime.

P.S. Gotta love the tinfoil-hat wack-a-doodles over at the Slingshot forums arguing that it was *BRP* who ratted Polaris out, as if the language of the law isn't plain for anyone to see.
    Silver 2010 RS SE5: Triple Play, Taillight, Brightsides, Fender Tips, Easy Risers; Evo Sway Bar; Airhawk R & Beadrider; latch springs; Grab-On grips; Crampbuster; 24" Madstad smoke windshield & deflectors; N-R round bag & soft saddlebags; BRP handlebar bag; Throttlemeister; Spyderpops Missing Air Dam & Air Mgmt System; Rivco driver & passenger boards & pegs; ISCI parking brake extension; Ultimate Midrider Seat w/both backrests, Fox Racing Shocks, Yoshi R-77 exhaust and a whole lotta love!

arntufun

Indiana is now in the same boat as Texas......

Most state laws reads seat or saddle, but the folks in Texas and Indiana are not so lucky.....

Dave be careful about talking smack, Some of those tinfoil people are members here........BRP was behind this because the Slingshot is out selling the new F3 !!!!!!!!!!! I just know it !!!!!!
    Last edited by arntufun; 11-12-2014 at 04:33 PM.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by arntufun View Post
    ........BRP was behind this because the Slingshot is out selling the new F3 !!!!!!!!!!! I just know it !!!!!!
    " "Knowing it", without proof: is knowing less than nothing.
    I have no doubt that it'll all get sorted out. It looks like a fun vehicle, and I'd love the opportunity to try one on for size!

Spyder Garage

The biggest difference between the T-rex and Ace, and the Slingshot; the Rex and Ace use motorcycle engines, the Slingshot uses a car engine.
    I think maybe the problems are coming from people wanting "special variations" in the states refusing to allow the sales, most of the reasons for disallowing sales seem to be people really stretching things. Maybe they don't have anything better to do.

john