Active Member RockyMountainRider50's Avatar
    Spyder Garage

Default Installing LEDs on my RT this winter!

I'm soliciting for any info or lessons learned when installing LEDs (fender tips and channel running/turn signals, Brightsides for rear saddle bags and front fenders and rear mud flap break light). I would appreciate any and all responses. Thanks in advance.
    2012 Can Am Spyder RT Limited.jpg
    2012 RT LTD & RT-622 , Pearl White

Spyder Garage

Something to think about. Panels have to come off to work on the Spyder. Have some kind of conectors when you install the lights.
    Oldmanzues
    Very Happy Spyder Owner

Spyder Garage

The instructions are pretty straight forward ,take your time ,use the promoter pads/sticks and clean up any over appliacation . You have to drill some holes and if you choose to leave the fender on be aware of the tire underneath. Pre heat the side markers to make removal easier, don't use anything sharp to remove them as you will scratch the paint .The front fender tip lights can be a bit tricky to remove and the tab can be broken easily . I used Posi-Taps for all the connections.
    Happy Owner

Spyder Garage

I have videos for most of that lighting in the DIY section.

Bob
    2011 RT-S SM5 - Black
    Bought June 2013 with 450 miles. 27K on 8-1-2017.
    Farkles - DIY Trunk Break Light, HMT Break Light, DIY Mirror Turn Signal Lights, DIY Bluetooth Dongle, DIY iPod Setup, DIY Alarm System Install, Show Chrome front fender / rear saddle bag lights, 4th break light around the trunk, Vented Windshield, Baja Ron Sway Bar, DIY GPS setup, Smooth Spyder, BRP Chrome Mirrors, Adjustable deflectors, Triaxis handlebars, NVB Pegs, Bad Boy Airhorn... More to come
    2011 RT-S SM5 , Baja Ron Black

Spyder Garage

Feel free to steal anything from here------

http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...ww)-DARTH-Mods

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

I'm planning on doing pretty much the same thing. 2014 Limited, both front fender reflectors to LEDs with the amber one a turn indicator as well. Also doing the rear side storage light. Will add the mirror turn signal and the rear brake light on the back. Might make the brake light a running light as well.
    Where are you getting everything from? I was thinking of the fender and rear storage LEDs from tricled. The mirror and brake like is available from autozone. Not sure how it compares with the tricled ones except that they are much cheaper.
    I did see on one of the posts that kewlmetal has a dual element circuit that will allow a running light as well as either the turn signal or brake light to be added. It is $5. Was thinking of using that since the one at tricled is $50. Again not sure the difference.
    I'm not going to be able to remove my wheels so I might try to remove the fenders for easier access. Is that necessary?
    Too bad we aren't close by. It would be fun to work on both bikes. Keep me posted how you do.
    Good luck with all your mods. Exciting to see how it turns out.
    I won't be tackling this till January or February but I will let all know how it goes.
    Scott

Registered Users
    Spyder Garage

Can all this we are both trying to do require additional electrical power or can we just splice into the current wires/system?
    Thanks guys. Been watching the videos and collecting info as well. Thanks to all that provide that kind of great help.
    Scott

Spyder Garage

Once you've got things installed, your flasher may need to be calibrated if it flashes too fast. "Not a problem with the install"

Reset instruction:
    ignition on
    4 way flasher, push and hold the button until you see light flash in dash.

Should work fine.
    For some reason, there seems to be a connection with new lights on the bike and the smile on your face. Have a good one

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Default wanta see lighting??

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMountainRider50 View Post
    I'm soliciting for any info or lessons learned when installing LEDs (fender tips and channel running/turn signals, Brightsides for rear saddle bags and front fenders and rear mud flap break light). I would appreciate any and all responses. Thanks in advance.
    2012 Can Am Spyder RT Limited.jpg
    Look for Phil from Tyler Texas in the forum if you wants see some lighting..He has instructions to and pics..Im going to him for advice(I hope) when im ready to add some lighting..

Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by opiewhan View Post
    Look for Phil from Tyler Texas in the forum if you wants see some lighting..He has instructions to and pics..Im going to him for advice(I hope) when im ready to add some lighting..
    I put a link a few posts up-----
    http://www.spyderlovers.com/forums/s...l=1#post844746

Spyder Garage

For many of the LEDs there is an option to use them as signals, or just running lights. My experience is that the idea of hooking them up as signals sounds better, but I've found that using them as just running lights looks better (except of course for the top brake light in the rear, which is an essential for me).

I would also stick with one brand, to keep the style as consistent as possible.

Spyder Garage

Make sure you have ample 3M Primer 94. TricLED sends some with theirs, however I have found that it is not alway enough especially if ou have to pull and re-position. Look on eBay and Amazon I paid $16.00 for 10 tubes. Also Gorilla tape is great for holding the ends. I have some RGB's under the BumpSkid and the tape held were the 3M foam tape did not but a few drops of Gorilla glue fixed that also. The other items you should have are plenty of plastic tie wraps and sticky tie wrap blocks. just finished adding the Bump skid, Vader lights and fog lights and 10 RGB's under the plastic.

2014-11-06 18.16.38.jpg
    Last edited by Dragonfly; 11-14-2014 at 07:47 PM.

Spyder Garage

Default Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by finless View Post
    I have videos for most of that lighting in the DIY section.

Bob
    I really admire your videos! You really make it seam so simple!

Spyder Garage

Default I have similar plans.

Quote Originally Posted by ny10547 View Post
    I'm planning on doing pretty much the same thing. 2014 Limited, both front fender reflectors to LEDs with the amber one a turn indicator as well. Also doing the rear side storage light. Will add the mirror turn signal and the rear brake light on the back. Might make the brake light a running light as well.
    Where are you getting everything from? I was thinking of the fender and rear storage LEDs from tricled. The mirror and brake like is available from autozone. Not sure how it compares with the tricled ones except that they are much cheaper.
    I did see on one of the posts that kewlmetal has a dual element circuit that will allow a running light as well as either the turn signal or brake light to be added. It is $5. Was thinking of using that since the one at tricled is $50. Again not sure the difference.
    I'm not going to be able to remove my wheels so I might try to remove the fenders for easier access. Is that necessary?
    Too bad we aren't close by. It would be fun to work on both bikes. Keep me posted how you do.
    Good luck with all your mods. Exciting to see how it turns out.
    I won't be tackling this till January or February but I will let all know how it goes.
    Scott
    I agree. It wound be cool! I'm from the NYC but now retired Army (employed by USPS now) here in Denver. Colorado is currently getting hit with a polar vortex from Canada.-14 the other night. 50 & 60 degrees below our normal temps. I believe all LEDs purchased are Custom Dynamic products. Seems like they will be as bright as I would like them to be. Decision based off pics and videos I've watched. Purchased all items from ebay after carefully watching for the lease expensive prices.
    I will also attempt to document my efforts during installation with a sony handy cam gifted to me by my co-pilot Darlene.
    Good luck to you as well.
    Brock

Spyder Garage

Default Humm?

Quote Originally Posted by ny10547 View Post
    Can all this we are both trying to do require additional electrical power or can we just splice into the current wires/system?
    Thanks guys. Been watching the videos and collecting info as well. Thanks to all that provide that kind of great help.
    Scott
    That's a good question. I'm not sure, but very interested in the answer. Help!!

Invalid Emails
    Spyder Garage

Quote Originally Posted by RockyMountainRider50 View Post
    That's a good question. I'm not sure, but very interested in the answer. Help!!
    All of the LED light kits from forum sponsors here have positap connectors and plugs to tap and plug into existing power supply. Just follow the instructions carefully for trouble free installs.

Very Active Member
    Spyder Garage

I'm no help at all with electrical stuff... Mechanical stuff either!

But I still can't wait to see the results!!
    2010 RT A&C, RT-L, RT-L , Orbital Blue, Cognac, Jet Black